Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 29 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 28 29
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
It’s a wizard with archery and some nature spells. It’s a weird blend of wizard/ranger/Druid. Solasta doesn’t have multiclassing and the full D&D license so I think this was their solution to fill a niche.

That sounds like it would be entirely fixed with the introduction of multi-classing... which I will be absolutely livid about if it is not eventually introduced here.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon
It’s a wizard with archery and some nature spells. It’s a weird blend of wizard/ranger/Druid. Solasta doesn’t have multiclassing and the full D&D license so I think this was their solution to fill a niche.

That sounds like it would be entirely fixed with the introduction of multi-classing... which I will be absolutely livid about if it is not eventually introduced here.

It may actually be slightly better. It’s a full wizard with bow proficiency with some nature spells ( I think they get light armor proficiency too). I think they also have some features of sharpshooter at higher level like ignoring some cover.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 26/02/21 08:44 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon

It may actually be slightly better. It’s a full wizard with bow proficiency with some nature spells ( I think they get light armor proficiency too). I think they also have some features of sharpshooter at higher level like ignoring some cover.

This is very much doable.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Scribe

Well then. I guess you are right. Mods are the only way to salvage BG3 now.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Scribe

Well then. I guess you are right. Mods are the only way to salvage BG3 now.

Yeah, it's funny. In most games I am extremely against mods. I played with very few in BG1 or 2, I played 1 in Q3A, zero in Total War. However Neverwinter Nights gave me the basics of coding (like, real basics) and I used to implement prestige classes.

At this point, that's all I'm asking from Larian. Let us mod what we want both into, and out of, the game.

addict
addict
The notion that it is a homebrew that Wizards can learn any spell is utter nonsense. Think about it: ALL other casters have a restricted list of spells, related to their class, BUT suddenly the Wizard can learn them all. WTF. It does not hold water.

I accept that Larian has its own version of D&D, that BG3 is its own thing ... but don't act like it is normal that the Wizard has this super-feature, while all other casters do not have access to all the spells of a given level.

nb : I played a Wizard and just refused to learn non-Wizard spells by principle. I can already hear the usual response: well that is your choice, an option... which is not the f..... point! Saying the Wizard-learning-any-spell from scrolls is normal or not broken is just utterly stupid.

Last edited by Baraz; 27/02/21 02:47 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The thing is these weird house rules are making other subclasses useless. Why play a Divine Soul Sorcerer (yes, that would probably be added much much later) when the Wizard can learn all spells? Their house rules will make it much harder to add stuff from the books.

old hand
old hand

They don’t get the ability to ignore cover, and level 5 isn’t a straight upgrade for them like it is for other classes (they get doubled cantrip damage but are still encouraged to use the bow due to higher hit rate and better average damage, when everyone else gets double attack or actually do fully benefit from the cantrip upgrade). But they do get the Archery fighting style, which is what pushes them from a mere wizard with a bow into scary ass archer with even scarier full wizard spell progression. Borrowing a few Ranger spells like Goodberry (food is actually really important in Solasta) and Hunter’s Mark is just the cherry on top.

They’re a super fun utility caster otherwise, even if the other homebrew archetype Shock Arcanist is way stronger (I think they get the ability to automatically upcast cast certain spells by 1 spell level with no limit?). Greenmage is still far and above the most popular Solasta archetype purely for their sheer utility and the swapping between bow and spell playing style though. It’s a niche that doesn’t exist anywhere in official 5E.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 27/02/21 02:46 AM.
stranger
stranger
the hp bloat is one thing but, why does Larian see the need to nerf the moon druid beast shape, while enemies get a buff.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Honestly I’m kind of upset, but I knew this was going to happen. But I kind of want to turn that energy into learning how to mod this game. Might as well fully embrace it, and perhaps later we can set up a seminar to teach the community how the engine actually works.

My first order of business is to see if it’s possible to mod in subclasses that don’t normally exist like Solasta’s Greenmage.

Yeah I am sadly prone to feeling resigned aswell, mostly because Larian doesn't seem to communicate much at all with us on these forums, and so we will never learn their intentions and opinions. If they never really listen to us, do you know if it's possible to mod to such an extent that you can make BG3 faithful to the PHB rules?

In fact, does anyone here know about that? To what extent does it seem likely we will be able to mod the game?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Yeah I am sadly prone to feeling resigned aswell, mostly because Larian doesn't seem to communicate much at all with us on these forums, and so we will never learn their intentions and opinions. If they never really listen to us, do you know if it's possible to mod to such an extent that you can make BG3 faithful to the PHB rules?

In fact, does anyone here know about that? To what extent does it seem likely we will be able to mod the game?

Going off of what Scribe says, quite a lot if your only intention is to alter the mechanics and add new classes. As far as messing with anything related to objects go, that is probably still up in the air. But there might be a rise in the amount of people interested in modding very soon, so it might be beneficial for the community as a whole to do a deep dive into the game's coding and maybe even get some basic tutorials set up.

I want to mod in Greenmage because it seems like a decent entry point for me to learn about modding in general, because I've never attempted such a thing before. It wouldn't really change anything fundamental in the game's coding.

Here's a list of everything the Solasta Greenmage archetype gets.

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

(The below isn't relevant as BG3 EA doesn't extend past level 4, but I'm just listing it here for posterity's sake.)

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

(There will probably be one more higher level feature for all archetypes late in the game, Solasta's level cap is currently stated to be level 10... But Solasta's current EA content is said to span somewhere close to the halfway point of the game, and you hit level 6 at the start of the current end of the dungeon.)

Here's an example of how a Greenmage Wizard actually fights.

Effective use of concentration spells are hugely important to the Greenmage archetype, as between Hunter's Mark, Faerie Fire, and Flaming Sphere, they have extremely good sustained ranged damage. The struggle is figuring out WHICH concentration spell to utilize in any given situation. Note that the above footage was before the update that got rid of dim light disadvantage, which was an indirect nerf to Flaming Sphere's tactical viability as a mobile bright light source. The devs made this specific fight much harder by adding a few more enemies and changing AI tactics to start prioritizing ways to impose disadvantage on ranged characters, though they've since been on record admitting that they may have overtuned the new version of the fight.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 27/02/21 03:02 AM.
If you are interested in modding I would contact the guy from the mod DnD Rebalancing.

https://github.com/ZerdBG3/DnD-Rebalancing/issues

He is already working on many issues, like stopping wizards from learning cleric spells.

old hand
old hand
I’ve heard of his efforts. It seems like he’s got a lot on his plate already, so I’d rather not impose myself as a complete newbie. Or at least not now.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Looks like a n Eldritch Archer archetype of a Magus from PF1E.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ariwch
Looks like a n Eldritch Archer archetype of a Magus from PF1E.

Zero cookies for guessing what I rolled for WotR Beta. :P

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 27/02/21 10:18 AM.
old hand
old hand
Ideally, there'd be no need for mods though.

veteran
veteran
Mods should really help to understand the consequences of our suggestions and how the game would be with small adjustments.

I'd really love to have a mod just to change the advantage from highground and backstab for a +2 to attack rolls.

This would be very constructive to think and adjust what we're talking for monthes (another exemple : locked food in combats maybe except goodberries,...).

I guess it should be really easy to do but I have 0 skills in modding^^

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/02/21 03:00 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Mods should really help to understand the consequences of our suggestions and how the game would be with small adjustments.

I'd really love to have a mod just to change the advantage from highground and backstab for a +2 to attack rolls.

This would be very constructive to think and adjust what we're talking for monthes (another exemple : locked food in combats maybe except goodberries,...).

Yeah that's what I was suggesting in another thread.

If DnD Rebalancing gets updated for patch 4, give it a shot.
The author of that mod is also working on giving +2 AC bonus to combatants on higher ground.

I enjoyed the game much more with the mod, but didn't play since a couple months. Too busy with playing PF:K and PF:WotR 😁
Also patch 4 was lacking for me, so I will give BG3 another try with patch 5 or 6, if the party controls get improved and if the mod gets updated.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by daMichi

Yeah that's what I was suggesting in another thread.

If DnD Rebalancing gets updated for patch 4, give it a shot.
The author of that mod is also working on giving +2 AC bonus to combatants on higher ground.

I enjoyed the game much more with the mod, but didn't play since a couple months. Too busy with playing PF:K and PF:WotR 😁
Also patch 4 was lacking for me, so I will give BG3 another try with patch 5 or 6, if the party controls get improved and if the mod gets updated.

Yea I never take the time to try this mod but I saw it and it looks awesome.
I only tried a playthrough with 6 characters, which was way more fun but also way more easy.

I think an updated D&D rebalance mod + 5 character party should be very interresting.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Tav22
For those of us unfamiliar, can you be more specific about what has changed from the core ruleset?

- In D&D you just have an action, bonus actions are bvery specific features you have to use wisely. In other words in D&D bonus actions are bonus actions, not a second action.
- Jump and disengage have nothing to do in D&D. One is for jump, the other is to disengage. None of them are bonus actions.
- Dip doesn't exist. In the reality of the Forgotten Realms you can't dip your sword in the fire of a candle/torch/... To create a magical fire sword.
- shove, hide and disengage are actions (with a few exceptions)
- you can't eat during combats in D&D
- those that never use magic can't use magical Scrolls
- an attack from highground doesn't give an advantage.
- an attack on your opponent's back doesn't give an advantage if he know you're in its back
- you can choose when to use your reaction
- D&D have a cover mechanic
- D&D have a better variety of actions : shove to prone, help to have advantage, dodge, ready, administrer a potion,...
- In D&D every single goblins or monster doesn't have magical stuff (arrows, potions,...)
- In D&D you can usually play from 4 to 6 characters (many campaign are designed arround 5 if I'm not wrong)
- In D&D items aren't completely WTF (healing someone never coat poison on your target's weapons)
- Time exist in D&D, such as night and meteo... not in BG3

That's a short list..

Great list, keep adding the things you notice please.Also intelligent goblins are very annoying!

Page 22 of 29 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard