Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hi,
not played dnd before, but expected that game will have big different in style, depends on your characters choice. For example (this what i expected), if you warrior and ranger, you can stun enemy for ranger's attack. or ranger have net\trap and it would easy for warrior to kill if it on enemy. But if you with warlock, he can fear enemy and you will attack for free with aoo. And all classes have unique skills, which make them interesting to play.

And i not waited dos3 here, but there nothing like this. Doesn't matter if you picked rogue, and your friend picked warlock or ranger or warrior. Difference only that one will apply hunters mark or Hex, or warrior will just autoattack. And only what you can do together is autoattacking same target. There no interaction between characters, may be cleric can heal and cast bless, thats all. 2 mages can do some stuff, but 1 mage and any other almost no.

Is it only EA characters straightforward (driud looks fun at least, with his roots and whip) or game not about party interaction\some combos?

S
addict
addict
S
5e ruleset doesn’t offer up any combo abilities. That being said, that’s an interesting idea but probably exceedingly difficult to balance.

I haven’t seen any special synergy powers in BG3 and I doubt we will see them. Seeing there’s 12 core classes and four party members, it may be too complicated for the scope of this game.

Just my thoughts.

addict
Online Content
addict
I mean, your entire first paragraph lists combos that are possible and effective in 5e.

-Spellcaster paralyzes enemy (e.g., Hold Person, Entangle, etc) for your Melee fighter to get Advantage on attacks (but oops you could just backstab for free Advantage anyway)
-Spellcaster casts spell on enemy to make them run away, provoking AoO (e.g., Fear, Bard's Dissonant Whispers)
-Fighter Battlemaster's Distracting Strike or Shove Prone gives an ally Advantage on an attack (but oops you could just backstab/high ground for free Advantage)
-Fighter's Pushing Attack or Shove to push an enemy into terrain created by ally (from e.g., Entangle)
-Spellcaster casts spell on enemy to decrease their Saving Throws (e.g., Bane, bestow curse), making it easier for allies to do things to enemies

and many more. Some subclasses/spells/party compositions are better for combos than others.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Yea, I found some combos too for sure. Just even you saying melee fighter, so there no rogue or ranger or warrior or barbarian specific stuff in future?
Party of 2 mage and 2 rogue would be same as 2 mage and 2 warrior; or 2 mage 1 ranger and 1 warrior; or 1 mage and 3 warriors? (ofc rogue can attack twice, but ranger can't, so they different. but this is doesn't matter for your mage teammate).

Last edited by alwayswrong; 25/02/21 01:29 AM.
I mean, a single Wizard can cast Dancing Lights to illuminate an area your Fighter can't see well; can cast Fairie Fire to give all your party Advantage on attacks; can cast Hold Person to lock an enemy down; can cast Sleep to guaranteed a party member a melee Critical Hit.

A Fighter can Threaten an enemy to allow a Rogue to make a Sneak Attack;

an Arcane Trickster can cast Magic Missile to do guaranteed damage to a target unlocking a Ranger's Colossus Breaker ability;

A Cleric can Turn Undead to reduce the number of enemies your Fighter has to defend against at once;

A Druid can cast Make Water over a bunch of enemies so a Warlock casting Witch Bolt hits his target and also electrifies the water surface the others are now standing in.

There a lots of possible interactions and synergies,, but they are somewhat different and less obvious to many modern games. Another issue is that the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic has been simplified to the point that its so easy to get anyway, any intended DnD method is pointless.

Last edited by Elessaria666; 26/02/21 06:52 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
A wizard can cast Mage Armor on a animal-shifted druid to give them +3 AC (since “animal natural armor” is considered “unarmored”). Also can have a cleric cast Shield of Faith for another +2 AC and suddenly the animal form’s weakness of lowish armor class is no more. Since only wizards can cast mage armor, you need that synergy to make it work.

Not sure this was really intended, but it works currently.

I haven’t tried it yet, but the druid’s wolf form’s special attack (which causing the next attack against the target to be a guaranteed critical hit) could have great synergy with the level 4 Great Weapon Fighting feat, which adds +10 damage to two-handed weapon attacks. That could be a very damaging combo attack with a fighter companion wielding a 2d12 great club.

Last edited by Braven; 27/02/21 01:10 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard