Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
As someone who has recently started playing, the first thing I noticed is that camera control is currently very awkward. Here's my suggestion:

1) Add support for vertical camera control to the camera orbit (currently middle mouse button) such as they use in World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Skyrim, and almost every other modern CRPG. This drastically reduces the need for camera panning, as you can see everything the character sees.

I highly suggest binding this to right mouse button and making the context menu something like control + left click. I also suggest changing the UI to cancel on a second click or key-press (e.g. pressing 1 will activate an action, and left click will confirm it, but pressing 1 a second time will cancel the action). This eliminates the need to use right-click to cancel actions.

2) Add support for using the mouse to drag the camera focal point away from the character. e.g. while holding a button down, using the mouse will move the camera across the map just like using WASD currently does. This would completely eliminate the need for keyboard-controlled camera manipulation.

I highly suggest binding this to the middle mouse button, provided you move camera orbit control to right-click.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Also, as someone who has recently started playing, I love the D&D live game feel as if I am standing over the game board instead of playing through my characters eyes.
However, I feel your pain regarding the ability to look up. A good example of this is when you enter the Chapel near the beach. It is difficult to view the stone suspended above the ground floor. However, switching to Tactical mode seems to be the expected solution.
Have you re-assigned all the camera movement hotkeys in the game options? There are more than 4 camera movements so WASD wasn't enough for me.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
+1
oh yes, I couldn't have put it better, please take it seriously, he's so right about it. It's fundamentally important.

veteran
veteran
Oh please yes! Top of mind

Thanks for putting it so concisely

I really didn't think I would have such a desire to play a Baldur's Gate game in POV, as I also relish the idea of the war room table staring down at figurines, but I really do think this would improve everything including any tactical top down or iso style view as well. It would just bring the BG3 camera in line with the standards that I am used to. Point 1 a thousand times, but also and especially point 2.

I love the idea of setting a scene to watch with the mini digital figurine/avatar, and of looking at the character in counter shot, or watching something play out with the animations from a side view not from anyone's perspective but the imagination, but also to pull in to a character/camera view when I want to. I don't know if I would feel the same if the game never presented a view on the horizon line in the first place, but it definitely does at max zoom in and the angle on the field of view changes showing that the environment holds up pretty beautifully that way.

Link Copied to Clipboard