Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just checked and see that they are setting the Weighted Dice on by default.

Please turn that off. Options like this should be opt in, not the default.

G
addict
addict
G
Absolutely agree.

D
D
My hope is they will ask when you select difficulty level. At that point thre could be no default value.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
In the video they mentioned weighted dice are turned off by default. I'm guessing this is an oversight.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Whether it's "On" or "Off", there should be somewhere the player is asked about it. It's currently buried in options, so if anyone who gets to decide these things in Larian are reading, I'd personally reccomend it asked at character creator. Also 'Hi'!

addict
addict
A prompt with two buttons to click on would be good when starting a new game.
New Game
-> Dice Options
-> Character Creation.

veteran
veteran
+1
Playing without weighted dice shouldn't be the option.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
The hardcore players that want it off are also the players that are going to actually be aware of the setting and know they CAN turn it off. It should be on by default for those who don't even know it's a setting

veteran
veteran
Something like this should be directly tied to difficulty settings.

Loaded dice should be under "normal" or "casual".

Then there needs to be "hardcore D&D rules" which addresses this, and all the "backstabs" and "high ground" that basically give permanent advantage to attacks and result in repetitive tactics. And tone down the super shove and magic food that don't belong in a D&D RPG.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
The hardcore players that want it off are also the players that are going to actually be aware of the setting and know they CAN turn it off. It should be on by default for those who don't even know it's a setting

Personally, I wouldn't call people who simply don't want to use a system that back-handedly calls them a cheater, or who just don't want to play with the game rigged in their favour, 'hardcore players'. I'd call them pretty regular average players.
I wouldn't call players who take a moment to look at the game's options screen before diving in 'hardcore players' either. I'd call that pretty average normal behaviour for most pretty average normal people.

Personally, I'd consider that players who actively want the game to bend over backwards in order to cheat on their behalf and ensure they win, and players who find the concept of taking a glance at the options screen to be too much effort, to be the outliers in this scenario.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Something like this should be directly tied to difficulty settings.

Loaded dice should be under "normal" or "casual".

Then there needs to be "hardcore D&D rules" which addresses this, and all the "backstabs" and "high ground" that basically give permanent advantage to attacks and result in repetitive tactics. And tone down the super shove and magic food that don't belong in a D&D RPG.

Completely disagree. Just because somebody might want to play in a mode where enemies have lesser health does not mean they automatically also want to use loaded dice. Loaded dice should be set separate from the difficulty modes and it should preferably be asked directly of the player whether to engage it or turn it off when they start a new game.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
100% agree! I've created several characters and had to turn it off each time. Die hard players will create lots of characters and not want weighted dice. Casual will probably want it but only create 1 character.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Personally, I wouldn't call people who simply don't want to use a system that back-handedly calls them a cheater, or who just don't want to play with the game rigged in their favour, 'hardcore players'. I'd call them pretty regular average players.
I wouldn't call players who take a moment to look at the game's options screen before diving in 'hardcore players' either. I'd call that pretty average normal behaviour for most pretty average normal people.

Personally, I'd consider that players who actively want the game to bend over backwards in order to cheat on their behalf and ensure they win, and players who find the concept of taking a glance at the options screen to be too much effort, to be the outliers in this scenario.
Totally agree here. In addition, you have to think about expectations. People, even those who have never played an RPG before, are generally going to assume that if you roll a die, each side will have an equal chance of coming up. This should be the default.

If it is not the default, it should be loudly proclaimed whenever a new game is started because otherwise, it is going to feel like a betrayal of expectations (even if it makes the game easier). Personally, I don't like this option because I don't think a new player needs to be confronted with every little toggle when they're just trying to play a game.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I agree it should be off by default, but I personally prefer it. I have a bad history of terrible roles, so I'd prefer to cheese a bit over sitting at load screens.

I do wish there was an option for weighted combat dice and weighted non-combat dice. I am enjoying the story a lot more because of this, but my combat is super swingy. WAY TOO MANY crits and critical misses on both sides.

Link Copied to Clipboard