Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
are the dice really random or are they controlled?

veteran
veteran
I don't really know but there is something really strange with flaming sphere.

It looks like its attack just never miss... Even with 40% to hit.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/02/21 09:30 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wolfenring
are the dice really random or are they controlled?
So far the weighted dice are showing to be pseudo-random, to avoid streaks and match the expected outcome sooner than true RNG would. I'm going to post the findings after 1,000 player combat rolls recorded.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I haven't spent too much time with flaming sphere yet. I could test it out later to see if I see a similar pattern.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 01/03/21 06:34 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Well considering Flaming Sphere isn’t supposed to be making attack rolls at all, I’m not super surprised the implementation is a bit mangled.

From the 5E SRD:

Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere’s damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.

addict
addict
i dunno - im getting a little suspicious since ive never rolled below a 19 .....

P
addict
addict
P
I just started playing with patch 4 tonight, and I am getting the serious feeling they boosted your chance at winning. Also, yes I turned off weighted dice before I even started. I don't think I have had 1 roll below a 17. It is almost kind of spoiling the game for me. I will see how it pans out for the rest of my playthrough, but something seems off.

veteran
veteran
I spend 2 more hours in the game yesterday. I didn't remember the numbers but I never missed a roll without the loaded dice...

I can understand that missing too much is a problem in a TB video game but there are serious issues with their RNG... Finally that's maybe another problem they created by themselves... (Like bless, advantages features and spells,...)

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
W
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
that's why i asked who is great if all the dice results are really real coincidence, but somehow i don't trust that

addict
addict
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Well considering Flaming Sphere isn’t supposed to be making attack rolls at all, I’m not super surprised the implementation is a bit mangled.

From the 5E SRD:

Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere’s damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
After a few tests Flaming Sphere seems normal, enemies take full damage when they fail the DC and half when they succeed.

veteran
veteran

There is something even more strange with Flaming Sphere ... even since that thing dont have any HP and therefore cant be attacked, when i fighted goblin camp, everyone was runing towards it instead of my party. Killed them all without single strike recedived. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 01/03/21 08:23 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

There is something even more strange with Flaming Sphere ... even since that thing dont have any HP and therefore cant be attacked, when i fighted goblin camp, everyone was runing towards it instead of my party. Killed them all without single strike recedived. :-/

Haha you're so right.
I didn't mention that because it's not related to the thread but yea, this is also very... Strange...

old hand
old hand
Remember that in this patch, loaded dice is on by default. You can disable them in the options.

I was going to write down my dice rolls this play through to be able to compare the results. I wrote down about 300 something before I lost interest. It's not an entirely complete list, of course. There's some skill checks the game aren't letting you see, and the initiative rolls for example went by far too fast to jot them down. But I have nearly every skill/save and attack roll from my first two play sessions stored.

Last edited by Dexai; 01/03/21 12:14 PM.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Banned
Banned
I feel like whatever they use to simulate the random factor sometimes hangs up or something. It's happened more than a few times (with loaded dice) that i get the same result on the same situation upon reload, whether i pass the check or not. The ones i remember are three 6s on a row with the beach mindflayer (fail), and 2 16s with Aradin (just what i needed to sucker punch him).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
Remember that in this patch, loaded dice is on by default. You can disable them in the options.

I was going to write down my dice rolls this play through to be able to compare the results. I wrote down about 300 something before I lost interest. It's not an entirely complete list, of course. There's some skill checks the game aren't letting you see, and the initiative rolls for example went by far too fast to jot them down. But I have nearly every skill/save and attack roll from my first two play sessions stored.
Did you record those rolls in order or just as tally marks? Niara found evidence that rolls were occurring in a sine wave pattern and it would be useful to see if others were finding this/just in general get more roll vs time data.

old hand
old hand
I recorded them in order, and with separate categories for skills/saves, attacks, and AI dito (enemies and allies both), as well as made notice of whichever rolls were made at advantage or disadvantage (since the log only shows one of the dice in those cases) as I thought that might be interesting or pertaining.

addict
addict
I recorded them in order, and with separate categories for skills/saves, attacks, and AI dito (enemies and allies both), as well as made notice of whichever rolls were made at advantage or disadvantage (since the log only shows one of the dice in those cases) as I thought that might be interesting or pertaining.
Would you be willing to share your sample of 300, after I get to 1000?

(Currently in the 800s) I have mine stratified by player, enemy, disadvantage, normal, advantage. I'd like to see if other players are getting similar histogram trends with weighted dice.

P
addict
addict
P

Yes, the dice are still rolling high without loaded dice. I made sure to go into options and turn loaded dice off immediately before even playing.

From the 5E SRD:

[/quote]
After a few tests Flaming Sphere seems normal, enemies take full damage when they fail the DC and half when they succeed.[/quote]

[quote=DragonSnooz][quote=LukasPrism]Well considering Flaming Sphere isn’t supposed to be making attack rolls at all, I’m not super surprised the implementation is a bit mangled.

That might be what the OP was seeing. Damage was still be taken, but maybe it's only half damage if the creatures make their save.

Last edited by Vortex138; 01/03/21 06:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Seriously loaded dice or not... I don't see much differences... I have way more success now in every rolls and the series still looks strange (if I miss 3 Times, I'm nearly sure I'll succeed for the next 3 turns... Loaded dices OFF)

Does Niara wants to make 200 new tries ? grin

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/03/21 07:19 PM.

old hand
old hand
Well that sounds like I challenge, o guess I will have to make 1000 too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard