Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761933 03/03/21 02:22 PM
JoB Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
It's early in the game. We're still in hell on the nautiloid. Lae'zel and I have just defeated the initial three imps and rushed up the stairs on our way to the helm. We're on the deck of the ship now with open air above us. Creatures are flying, canons are blasting, and there it is, the cinematic cut scene.

And I fall down.

I stumble and fall down. It doesn't matter if I have a dex of 8 or 17. I fall down.

But Lae'zel doesn't.

Why doesn't Lae'zel fall down? Why am I the only one falling down in that scene? I know it's a small issue, but I'm curious. Why was that decision made? Is Lae'zel meant to seem more capable and competent than me there?

veteran
veteran
I believe you didnt actualy "fall down" you just sited on your arse by the look of that magnificent being called dragon ... Lae'zel is used to them, more or less, so she is allready imune to their astonishing appearace. :P

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JoB
Why was that decision made? Is Lae'zel meant to seem more capable and competent than me there?

Short answer: Yes. She's one of Larian's Mary-Sues that they love more dearly than any other aspect of the game, and who are written to be the winners of every conversation, no matter the angle. They always have the last word on your character, they always know more than your character, they always have the upper hand on your character. Your character is always the fall-person, the dumb-person, and the fool that exist primarily to let them act more awesome or edgy, or to be talked down to or corrected. You never get to answer back or show them up; the game is designed that way. The only time your character is permitted to have the upper hand or the last word in any conversation are the conversations that have clearly been designed with it in mind that you might actually be playing one of *their* characters instead of your own. This, too, is by design.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
It's not just Lae'zel. When you get this scene in multi-player mode, the character who triggered the cutscene is the one who is seen falling down, while the second-closest character is shown proudly standing. It's just that in single player mode, that's almost always Lae'zel.

Now I want to try an experiment to see what would happen if I triggered that scene with Lae'zel alone...

But if you want an in-game explanation, consider that Lae'zel's gith training made her confident and sure-footed on a flying ship. Her native Crèche K'liir is an asteroid outpost, after all.

Last edited by agouzov; 05/03/21 01:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
Hah this is something we never talked here but yes... According to me there's something wrong.

I don't really care that we fall while Lae'zel don't... But HOW we fall looks a bit ridiculous^^
So is how the dragon break the nautiloid - this specific cutscene does not honour Larian's work at all.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/21 01:58 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Niara
She's one of Larian's Mary-Sues that they love more dearly than any other aspect of the game, and who are written to be the winners of every conversation, no matter the angle. They always have the last word on your character, they always know more than your character, they always have the upper hand on your character. Your character is always the fall-person, the dumb-person, and the fool that exist primarily to let them act more awesome or edgy, or to be talked down to or corrected. You never get to answer back or show them up; the game is designed that way.

Aaugh! You're giving me Malady flashbacks! Stop! beats the memories down with a wet noodle

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JoB
Why doesn't Lae'zel fall down? Why am I the only one falling down in that scene? I know it's a small issue, but I'm curious. Why was that decision made? Is Lae'zel meant to seem more capable and competent than me there?
haha. I think you are reading too much thought into it. Cinematics in BG3 are there to look flashy - nothing more.

JoB Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by agouzov
It's not just Lae'zel. When you get this scene in multi-player mode, the character who triggered the cutscene is the one who is seen falling down, while the second-closest character is shown proudly standing. It's just that in single player mode, that's almost always Lae'zel.

Now I want to try an experiment to see what would happen if I triggered that scene with Lae'zel alone...

But if you want an in-game explanation, consider that Lae'zel's gith training made her confident and sure-footed on a flying ship. Her native Crèche K'liir is an asteroid outpost, after all.
That's a good point. Next time I start, I'll make sure I'm clicked on Lae'zel when I go up the stairs to see what happens.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by JoB
haha. I think you are reading too much thought into it. Cinematics in BG3 are there to look flashy - nothing more.
I don't know. It's all there for a narrative effect. For instance, consider the look that Nettie has when she's holding the poisonous plant. That visual gives a lot of information to the player. Little things like that add to the story. In other words, I don't think it's all sizzle. I think some of it's steak.

apprentice
apprentice
I just noticed this when I created my druid, and I rolled my eyes a little. I thought it was just supposed to show how "super cool" Lae'zel is (probably doesn't help that I strongly dislike her). I don't know if that is meant to be the actual purpose, but that was my first thought when I saw it.

Last edited by tourmaline; 05/03/21 08:35 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by JoB
Why was that decision made? Is Lae'zel meant to seem more capable and competent than me there?

Short answer: Yes. She's one of Larian's Mary-Sues that they love more dearly than any other aspect of the game, and who are written to be the winners of every conversation, no matter the angle. They always have the last word on your character, they always know more than your character, they always have the upper hand on your character. Your character is always the fall-person, the dumb-person, and the fool that exist primarily to let them act more awesome or edgy, or to be talked down to or corrected. You never get to answer back or show them up; the game is designed that way. The only time your character is permitted to have the upper hand or the last word in any conversation are the conversations that have clearly been designed with it in mind that you might actually be playing one of *their* characters instead of your own. This, too, is by design.

This is why she always takes a fun trip off that edge she starts by at the start of the game

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JoB

That's a good point. Next time I start, I'll make sure I'm clicked on Lae'zel when I go up the stairs to see what happens.

If I'm reading things right, what you need to do is change places of the portraits so your character is in the second spot rather than the first.

I'll check it out later if I still remember.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
I thought this was about the hair that defies gravity when you fall on the beach and hang upside down there for a moment. laugh I hope they can do something about that, it looks so stiff and wrong.

I don't really care if they want to make Lae'zel seem tough in that dragon scene. I can brush it off even if my character is "tougher". It's just a random slip.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I just tested it, and it works! Just quickly rolled up a new Tav and had her hang out way back while Lae'zel dealt with the imps and ran up the stairs alone. The game finally gave me a cinematic of Lae'zel falling on her bum.

Who looks silly now, Lae'zel? The tables have finally turned!

Last edited by agouzov; 06/03/21 03:26 PM.
JoB Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
I just tested it, and it works! Just quickly rolled up a new Tav and had her hang out way back while Lae'zel dealt with the imps and ran up the stairs alone. The game finally gave me a cinematic of Lae'zel falling on her bum.

Who looks silly now, Lae'zel? The tables are finally turned!
Haha, excellent!

Watch that get fixed in the next patch, haha.

old hand
old hand
Placement in the "party order" doesn't seem to matter though, as I assumed. Just make sure that only Laessie is drawn into the cinematic.

Optimistically Apocalyptic

Link Copied to Clipboard