Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 115 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 114 115
B
stranger
stranger
B
maybe with mods this will be remedied, like in divinity original sin 2 where you can have everyone come with you if you want... makes for an interesting playthrough

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by marajango
I believe the reason for them sticking to 4 characters is that their engine probably can't handle more than 4 players at once in co-op.

This^^^

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Batagate68
maybe with mods this will be remedied, like in divinity original sin 2 where you can have everyone come with you if you want... makes for an interesting playthrough

There are already mods that offer this, that also disproves Marajangos point about the engine not being able to handle it. Pretty sure they are just maintaining existing standards for the majority of todays RPGs. 4 is pretty standard at this point.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 04/03/21 06:11 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by OcO
I believe the reason for them sticking to 4 characters is that their engine probably can't handle more than 4 players at once in co-op.

This^^^

Then just limit to 4 players but allow up to two to recruit a companion, that issue is solved?

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Originally Posted by OcO

This^^^

Then just limit to 4 players but allow up to two to recruit a companion, that issue is solved?

No it really doesn't because then they would basically have to rework all the encounter mechanics for it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Originally Posted by OcO

This^^^

No it really doesn't because then they would basically have to rework all the encounter mechanics for it.

Was talking about the issue of coop limited to 4 players.

Balancing they would only need to rework the second half of act 1, the part we can't reach yet. It would make what we have right now easier but that isn't too much an issue as long as later stuff is made with 6 characters in mind

veteran
veteran
Seriously I'm laughing with this "4 is standard". There are not many more cRPG with party of 4 than with party of 5 or 6.

This is a very bad argument.

Anyway I don't have to read all this thread to know that I fully agree with OP.

Give us a party of 6 please !
(Or at least 5...)

More character = more action / turn
More character = more variety in party composition
More character = more interactions in dialogs
More character = more synergies on combats
More character = more story / quests
More character = more customization

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/03/21 08:36 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Seriously I'm laughing with this "4 is standard". There are not many more cRPG with party of 4 than with party of 5 or 6.

This is a very bad argument.

Anyway I don't have to read all this thread to inox that I fully agree with OP.

Give us a party of 6 please !
(Or at least 5...)

Four became the standard due to the growth of console gaming. There’s absolutely no other reason to reduce party size.

Six should be the standard for a D&D game. It’s the good sweet spot of being able to fulfill all party needs while providing flexibility of class choice.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I mean I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt at this stage they are going to change party size. Because then they would have to totally redo all the engagements difficulty and the mechanics behind them. To most people, 4 is fine. I mean who knows, maybe they will add more party characters, but considering it only takes a second to port to camp to swap out, and the extra work that would be involved in basically redefining the entire set of combat mechanics, I just don't see this happening. Not to mention, most RPGs, 4 is the standard now. It was the standard in their previous games for DOS as well.

Companions will be locked out according to Larian so there will be a point in time you can’t just swap them out.

Four is only the standard due to the popularity of console gaming. Devs are always thinking how they can port their PC games to consoles.

apprentice
apprentice
Also keep in mind that there are not many companions in BG3 - a party of 6 would use up most of them, meaning little variation between playthroughs. Larian went the TV/Cinema/Dragon Age route of a small group of special characters with well-defined personal stories, character arcs, side-quests etc., compared to BG1 and BG2's wider but (at least in terms of content) shallower pool of companions. Whether or not this was a mistake, it's too late to change course now.

N
N
There will be MORE Companions Dotmats

veteran
veteran
And dont forget that there is split screen multiplayer planned ...
There isnt many games that would divide screen to more than 4 segments.

But, +1 agreed with OP, it would be nice.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
apprentice
apprentice

As far as we know, just 3 more.

edit: for comparison, BG1 has over 20.

Last edited by dotmats; 04/03/21 09:18 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dotmats

+ mercenaries

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
The good news then is that it wouldn't need to.
It's not like expanding the party size limit would make mandatory to give each character to a different player... Or to fill the party in the first place.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
P
apprentice
apprentice
P

You can't really compare BG1 companions to the ones from BG3. It's a different league of complexity. Quality over quantity, always.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pageu

You can't really compare BG1 companions to the ones from BG3. It's a different league of complexity. Quality over quantity, always.

BG1/2 companions were better on many points.
The only thing they didn't have was a side quest divided in chapters/act and the "origin/,playable as main characters thing" (which is only appealing in MP).

Quantity is objective. Quality is not at all.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/03/21 10:27 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
D
D
Also keep in mind that there are not many companions in BG3 - a party of 6 would use up most of them
IMHO this is an argument for increasing party size, not against. Amount of content that is specific to an origin character is negligible in comparison to everything else. Thats why in DoS2 when I had to chose 4 out of 6 characters it ment that I'll never know the story of other 2.

addict
addict
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is another great game in Beta with party cap of 6 companions, turn base AND active/pause combat. D&D 3.75 (Pathfinder).
The number of available classes/kits/races is beyond amazing.
Dialogues seem great! Nice and LONG , lots of reading with tons of choices.
UI is sublime.
Portraits! Soundsets! Day/night! TONS of playable NPCs!

I give BG3 3 more months then Im out.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 04/03/21 10:43 AM.
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
BG1/2 companions were better on many points.
The only thing they didn't have was a side quest divided in chapters/act and the "origin/,playable as main characters thing" (which is only appealing in MP).

Quantity is objective. Quality is not at all.

It's only your opinion, not a fact.

The fact is, that BG1 companions were in most cases only a portraits with attached set of sounds. Very little interactions, very little personal quests.

Obviously BG2 improved it a lot, but most of the companions didn't have any significant personal quests.

Last edited by pageu; 04/03/21 10:35 AM.
Page 44 of 115 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 114 115

Link Copied to Clipboard