Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
A "AAA, third-person, open-world fantasy RPG that will be taking place inside the Dungeons & Dragons franchise." is currently on development by Hidden Path (CS go)

Neverwinter Nights?

By looking at the job descriptions, it appears as though this Dungeons & Dragons project will be built in Unreal Engine 4. Hidden Path is also looking for those experienced in console technology (hinting at a release beyond PC), a writer who has narrative branching skills and experience with ensemble casts, and more.

https://www.ign.com/articles/open-world-third-person-dungeons-and-dragons-rpg-in-development

old hand
old hand
Sounds like and AC-like. Probably won't feature rules adherence to 5e.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
I really didn't think there was going to be another NwN game since it would detract from the mmo. That would be a nice surprise for sure.

BTW did you see the previous games they have made? Tower games & mobile games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Path_Entertainment

Last edited by fallenj; 04/03/21 11:55 AM.
old hand
old hand
I mean, Bioware started as... I don't remember. Making health business bureaucratic software. Hence the name.

Larian mostly did educational games up until the DoS breakthrough.

Bethesda mainly did sports games before Morrowind.

I think Owlcat had only done shitty phone "games" before and now they're completely rebranded as a Pathfinder rpg making studio.

When I look at the list of games in that link I see one thing that stands out (besides none of them being RPGs) -- a continuos focus on making games for computers in a time where the big bucks is in making console games.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Owlcat had actually a lot of people coming from Nival and Katauri, which were two of the best development teams in Russia with a very solid track record, but spotty commercial success (Silent Storm, Heroes of Might and Magic V, King's bounty The Legend, Space Rangers 1 and 2, etc.).
Basically a lot of people who generally speaking know what they are doing and never shy away from attempting ambitious stuff for their budget.

Last edited by Tuco; 04/03/21 02:37 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
addict
addict
S
I’m not holding my breath and even if this new game remains faithful to 5e, it’s years away.

WotC doesn’t care about 5e as a system. They only care about the D&D brand. You can tell by the games already in development. Larian is making DOS Baldur’s Gate edition and Dark Alliance seems like some idiotic action game to capitalize on the Drizzt name.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
I mean, Bioware started as... I don't remember. Making health business bureaucratic software. Hence the name.

Larian mostly did educational games up until the DoS breakthrough.

I think Owlcat had only done shitty phone "games" before and now they're completely rebranded as a Pathfinder rpg making studio.

When I look at the list of games in that link I see one thing that stands out (besides none of them being RPGs) -- a continuos focus on making games for computers in a time where the big bucks is in making console games.
True, good points

Larian started at divine divinity if I remember correctly. Before that don't know.

veteran
veteran
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in discussing these other D&D games here. This forum doesn't have much interest, it seems, in discussing anything not related to Larian. I've brought up both the Hidden Path game and the OtherSide Entertainment game (which looks like it may be a first-person gothic-horror D&D game - possibly set in Ravenloft?) that are currently in the works on other forums, so nice to see them being discussed here.

This reveal of some details about the Hidden Path D&D game has me extremely interested, mainly because if it is third-person then hopefully it is NOT going to be turn-based. Also, if it does not adhere closely to 5e rules, all the better. Something for those of us D&D fans disillusioned with BG3 to look forward to.

Last edited by kanisatha; 04/03/21 05:28 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in discussing these other D&D games here. This forum doesn't have much interest, it seems, in discussing anything not related to Larian. I've brought up both the Hidden Path game and the OtherSide Entertainment game (which looks like it may be a first-person gothic-horror D&D game - possibly set in Ravenloft?) that are currently in the works on other forums, so nice to see them being discussed here.

This reveal of some details about the Hidden Path D&D game has me extremely interested, mainly because if it is third-person then hopefully it is NOT going to be turn-based. Also, if it does not adhere closely to 5e rules, all the better. Something for those of us D&D fans disillusioned with BG3 to look forward to.

This is the only time I've heard about it and I'll wait and see how it turns out. There was another game being made pretty sure its a new IP for WotC, has multiple bioware old employees on board. That has me more interested.

edit* did a quick google: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype_Entertainment

Last edited by fallenj; 04/03/21 11:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
Originally Posted by kanisatha

This is the only time I've heard about it and I'll wait and see how it turns out. There was another game being made pretty sure its a new IP for WotC, has multiple bioware old employees on board. That has me more interested.

edit* did a quick google: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype_Entertainment
Yes the Archetype game is apparently a sci-fi game. The newly reorganized Wizards division of Hasbro has expanding to new IPs beyond D&D and M:TG as one of its core goals.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I hope it will be Ebberon.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
Are people still playing D&D, or is the universe already dead?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Annavyney
50 million people worldwide, according to the CEO of WotC in a recent interview. Also, last year during the pandemic, Hasbro's overall sales were down. But D&D sales were up almost 30% and so WotC carried its parent company for the year.

Last edited by kanisatha; 30/08/21 10:05 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Annavyney
I say this because I used to play games based on D&D, but small companies with a low budget. Some of these games turned out to be a masterpiece, and some were low-quality and terrible games, which it would be better not to take up. I still don't understand the companies that create a game based on D&D, and they can't even get acquainted with the rules, spells, classes before making a game. Now there are many different guides about this, such as dndguide.net and others. I hope that they will release a high-quality product. I would not like to play such a game, which is full of bugs and lags. Is it impossible to treat this differently?

A
veteran
veteran
A
A collegue at work plays D&D with his group. So, I can say I personally know someone who plays D&D. wink

DDO is still popular as well, but I guess that it is rather a niche, because of its dated graphics. Its strenthgs lie elsewhere, imho.

I'm still frustrated, though, that there just doesn't exist any proper offline Eberron RPG.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Reviving this thread to bring up a couple of recent news stories about future D&D video games.

First, Tuque Games, the WotC-owned studio that made the new Dark Alliance game last year, has been rebranded as Invoke Studios and is now headed by a new, veteran game designer. And WotC confirms that Invoke Studios is now working on a new AAA D&D game using the UE5 engine. This of course is in addition to the two previously announced D&D game projects under Hidden Path Entertainment and OtherSide Entertainment, both of which are said to be progressing well.

Second, there is this very intriguing story I saw from inXile Studios. It has been known for some time now that they are working on a new IP AAA steampunk RPG using UE5, codenamed Project Cobalt, which the head of Xbox Games recently raved about after seeing a playable vertical slice of it. But now inXile has announced in ads seeking to hire more talent that they starting work on another new AAA project using a challenging but exciting existing IP (their words). Given that (a) inXile boss Brian Fargo has long wanted to do a D&D game and lobbied WotC for BG3 way before Larian jumped in on that, and (b) inXile having done their Torment: Tides of Numenera game as a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, and (c) WotC bringing back the Planescape setting next year for TT D&D gaming, I am wondering if maybe this new inXile project is a Ps:T sequel? smile

veteran
veteran
I'd love another Planescape game, but I'm a Star Wars fan first. Ever since the EA license opened up I'll be seeing Star Wars in every announcement.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
A "AAA, third-person, open-world fantasy RPG that will be taking place inside the Dungeons & Dragons franchise." is currently on development by Hidden Path (CS go)

Neverwinter Nights?

By looking at the job descriptions, it appears as though this Dungeons & Dragons project will be built in Unreal Engine 4. Hidden Path is also looking for those experienced in console technology (hinting at a release beyond PC), a writer who has narrative branching skills and experience with ensemble casts, and more.

https://www.ign.com/articles/open-world-third-person-dungeons-and-dragons-rpg-in-development
This is very old news from 2021 and wrong information it says it will use Unreal Engine 4. No they will use Unreal Engine 5.

Unreal Engine 5 is better then Unreal Engine 4. I know this they have job:
"
SENIOR GRAPHICS ENGINEER
Hidden Path Entertainment is seeking a Senior Graphics Engineer for a AAA, third-person, open-world fantasy RPG that will take place inside the Dungeons & Dragons franchise using Unreal Engine 5.

The ideal candidate will enjoy creating and maintaining graphics technologies and tools, often working closely with members of the art team (tech art, visual effects, lighting, environment, character, cinematics), and will have experience profiling and optimizing game titles.

Hidden Path Entertainment is based in the Pacific Time Zone. Employees work a 40 hour week with daily overlapping hours of 10am to 4pm Pacific time.

Hidden Path is an inclusive, collaborative environment. You will be working with artists, designers, engineers, and other disciplines from all walks of life who have a variety of different perspectives. Being able to navigate and thrive in this kind of environment will be key to your success.

This is a full-time remote position. Post COVID, this position has the option to convert to an on-site role located in Bellevue, WA.

To apply, please email us at jobs@hiddenpath.com."

That is good they use Unreal Engine 5, but it might take more time I guess we can not play it in year 2023 unless they have Alfa in 2023. I guess full release is in roughly 2024-2026.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 03/01/23 11:02 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

They started as ... a computer game company. Some of the founders have been medical doctors and had made a software like that. BEFORE they founded Bioware.

Also TES1 Arena and TES2 Daggerfall ... Morrowind is literally TES3, the third game of the The Elder Scrolls francise. It literally says "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" when you start the game. Oblivion is TES4 and Skyrim is TES5 and we all know that ever since there was an over a decade long pause and still nothing.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard