Page 1 of 2 1 2
#762081 03/03/21 10:37 PM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
This game could be so much more, with more crates. Please maintain between 10 and 10 thousand crates per room with 1 gold piece in them each or a combo potato, garlic and carrot (the usual) minimum. Thank you.

adkfina #762137 04/03/21 01:51 AM
A
A
Assuming this post was sarcastic, I agree ... Don't mind a ratio of 20 containers > 1 good item, 2 decent items, 8 lots of dross/food and 9 empty, but the ratio on certain types of container is currently miserable - mainly vases, piles of books and burlap sacks. You sorta have to check them all because ONE OR TWO IN THE ENTIRE GAME contain something worthwhile, but generally they're just a surefire prescription for RSI.

Adiktus #762144 04/03/21 02:37 AM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Adiktus
Assuming this post was sarcastic, I agree ... Don't mind a ratio of 20 containers > 1 good item, 2 decent items, 8 lots of dross/food and 9 empty, but the ratio on certain types of container is currently miserable - mainly vases, piles of books and burlap sacks. You sorta have to check them all because ONE OR TWO IN THE ENTIRE GAME contain something worthwhile, but generally they're just a surefire prescription for RSI.

You forgot barrels filled with one slice of cheese and/or one carrot. We both have.

adkfina #762161 04/03/21 03:48 AM
A
A
I don't mind that. Containers are supposed to be a crapshoot. What I mind is particular types of container containing absolutely nothing, not even something you can trade for 1gp, 99.9% of the time. But I guess (hope) that will be addressed in the finished game.

adkfina #762212 04/03/21 07:02 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm waiting for a trunk containing a crate, containing a chest, containing a bag, containing...nothing !!

adkfina #762224 04/03/21 08:14 AM
S
addict
addict
S
You've seen nothing yet! Just wait until you really hit civilization in Baldur's Crate city. Happy days ahead!

Seraphael #762226 04/03/21 08:21 AM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Seraphael
You've seen nothing yet! Just wait until you really hit civilization in Baldur's Crate city. Happy days ahead!

Unless they fix how looting is handled, I can’t imagine finishing this game. It’s tedious and we only have seen part of Act 1.

If DOS was also like this, I have no idea why it got good reviews. It’s a horrible design.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

Unless they fix how looting is handled, I can’t imagine finishing this game. It’s tedious and we only have seen part of Act 1.

If DOS was also like this, I have no idea why it got good reviews. It’s a horrible design.

Absolutely agreed. The excessive loot focus is why I never finished DOS2 despite having some of my most enjoyable moments in any game, finding the story and combat rather compelling. I even called it the real spiritual successor to BG-series long before BG3 became a thing.

Larian seem to try to implement as many aspects, no matter how cheesy, unimmersive or cheep, as they can that trigger dopamine in people. They ignore all the issues with this and I suspect the rationale is that; if you don't like an aspect - you can ignore it and everyone's happy. Right? Wrong. Fortunately D&D is the antithesis to Larian's preferred Diablo-on-steroids looter style, so at least we don't need to upgrade weapons and armor every 20 minutes. But it's bad, and much worse if you're OCD/completionist, like me. And a strong incentive not to finish the game if you're a casual gamer on top of this.

I dream of a loot system that would give us less insignificant loot, but more visual representation of significant loot (to trigger dopamine without the grinding annoyance). Coupled with individual inventories that are limited to maybe 10 quick slots in the hot bar, all accessible in combat. And an abstracted group inventory, that auto-sorts and divides types of loots into clearly defined subsections, not accessible in combat. Somewhat realistic encumbrance limitations (no carrying 50 weapons, 30 armor pieces, 15 barrels, and 250 miscellaneous items). A limited crafting system that clearly indicate which items can be used for crafting and for what purpose (so as not to hoarding everything possibly useful at a later stage, and usually forgetting about the use long before you find the other ingredients needed for the crafting). Added bonus for those who like to RP more heroic characters as opposed to scavengers/corpse looters.

But I guess that would lead to a streamlined game that some segments of "old school CRPG'ers" would criticize as "dumbed down", while also giving marketing a less impressive number to work with when they sell the game due to the reduction of the grind.

Last edited by Seraphael; 04/03/21 09:07 AM.
adkfina #762240 04/03/21 09:38 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by adkfina
This game could be so much more, with more crates.

I feel the amount of searchable containers is about right. I mean, yes, some rooms could use more containers (empty, of course). But creating these would cost developers' time that could be used elsewhere, e.g. designing more food types, etc.

What I find really problematic is the fact that all the containers I opened so far have a Take All button, which I find very immersion breaking. It's 100% a Quality-of-Life feature for players, and bears no relationship to what our characters do (unless we assume that the characters have bag-of-holding type backpacks and they can just mindlessly dump everything they find in it).

I really fear that, if this Take All button stays in the game, players will get used to it, take this convenience for granted, and then start requesting something like a Search Room feature. I've seen some people argue that, in tabletop RPG, you would just tell the GM "we search the room" or "we loot the bodies". But this is not TT, this is video game, and Larian should make changes appropriate for the medium. Unfortunately, the Beamdog Enhanced Editions of BG1-BG2 have added such a "search the floor" feature ... I hope Larian will know better and not yield to stupid QoL requests.

A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A

If crates and barrels are like this because the designers think it's cool decor then it might never get better. Designers please, let walls be walls. Less is more or whatever.

adkfina #762318 04/03/21 01:53 PM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
This game could be so much more, with more crates. Please maintain between 10 and 10 thousand crates per room with 1 gold piece in them each or a combo potato, garlic and carrot (the usual) minimum. Thank you.
This is my current favorite post of the day.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
adkfina #762337 04/03/21 03:03 PM
U
stranger
stranger
U
I couldn't agree more with the OP's sarcasm.

Already in DOS2 the opening of thousands of chests, crates, bookshelves etc. was a fun killer and keeps me from playing through again.

Tuco #762352 04/03/21 03:33 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Tuco

It has a glaring omission. Could have suggested Larian make these vegetables interact with cold to make (glowing blue) frozen improvised weapons causing 1-4 physical/1-4 cold damage. Really wonder why Larian hasn't though of this yet, seems like something they would totally do wink

adkfina #762380 04/03/21 04:39 PM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
haters will probably deny this but I want to add that I opened a crate just now ingame and found 2 Dried Pork Sausage(s). It's ok I know it hurts.

adkfina #762383 04/03/21 04:43 PM
S
addict
addict
S
haters will probably deny this but I want to add that I opened a crate just now ingame and found 2 Dried Pork Sausage(s). It's ok I know it hurts.

Jokes on you. Those aren't real pork. Those are Impossible dried sausages.

adkfina #762391 04/03/21 04:57 PM
veteran
veteran

Definitely agree.
There are not enough useless containers. It's not boring enough. I like to waste my time.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
adkfina #762392 04/03/21 04:59 PM
veteran
veteran
I find it fun and immersive when an enemy goes jumping across a bunch of crates and i have to chase them over all of them.

adkfina #762396 04/03/21 05:02 PM
S
addict
addict
S
You know what else I like? Crates that look like containers but if you accidentally click them, they end up in your inventory. I love picking up and dropping unnecessary baggage. It’s so much fun.

Tuco #762424 04/03/21 05:38 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco

I'm sorry Tuco, but your tastes are objectively wrong. This is the thread of the week.

You know what else I like? Crates that look like containers but if you accidentally click them, they end up in your inventory. I love picking up and dropping unnecessary baggage. It’s so much fun.

I forgot to mention this, but it's another of my favourite things. I once wrote that EA feedback is mostly about problems, and that people more rarely report on things that they like and they hope won't change. Well, I hope this thing won't change. I'm not the in designers mind, but I bet these crates get picked up with a simple click are there to prevent game exploiters from abusing barrelmancy.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
There are not enough useless containers. It's not boring enough. I like to waste my time.

I don't know. I think the number of containers is not the key to every thing, and I feel it's about good as it is. There are lots of other ways we could waste our time, and I feel that, perhaps, Larian should not focus just on adding containers.

Also, I'm sure there'll be a couple of mods to add empty containers, probably within one month of game release. I'd prefer the devs to focus on new ideas.

adkfina #762437 04/03/21 06:21 PM
veteran
veteran
You're definitely part of the vocal minority Drath !

All of us like containers. With more containers we could also be able to create towers to reach the sky, or stairs to play with verticality !

Think about it... This would be so fun !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/03/21 06:21 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard