Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I have been all over looking at videos on YT in regards to this game, and all I see is positive comments (which is strange for YT). I go to gaming sites, positive comments. I go to Steam, positive. GOG....positive. It seems the most negative comments are on this forum. People said the same thing about the remake of Tomb Raider when Square Enix took over, and guess what, it was a great game. Personally I quite enjoy this game, there is some things that annoy me, but I will hold my judgement until the actual game comes out. I can tell you this, Larian is doing a better job than modern day Bioware would do.
You must have selective blinders because the overall tone is way more positive here than on Steam.

Of course, both combined still can't hold a candle to the den of relentless ass kissers that is the BG3 subreddit. A place where even remotely suggesting any aspect of the game leaves you anything less than 100% satisfied will make you the target of a pitchfork mob.
Unless it's about wanting more customization and romance options. In that case they'll have your back, because they think the final goal of Baldur's Gate 3 is becoming the ultimate fantasy dating sim.

hey, now that I think about it, they are basically Bioware fans.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran

Hey now wink I'm a fan of the romances and early Bioware.

But you are right I've found that a single critical comment on the subreddit will cost about 30 karma points. Trying to start anything like a critical megathread would get you downvoted into oblivion.

I think you can split the game into three parts -- does it capture the feel of BG in terms of quality of story 2) does it faithfully adapt the D&D ruleset to degree that bg2 did 3) does the engine have the same ease of use as the BG2 engine did

For me the game is succeeding on part 1 and that's the bit that reddit focuses on. The romances are fun and the story shows promise. I want to find out what happens next -- who is the absolute? what is Shar's role in all this?

But it's not succeeding on parts 2 and three and if Larian doesn't get that message the game will suffer for it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
So I have quite mixed feelings on this. If someone asked me about this a couple of months ago, I'd say I wouldn't trust Obsidian to do BG3 justice and that Larian is the best choice - after I've read the interviews and watched the team speak with such passion about this project. I actually did say this many times and argued with the nay-sayers.

But now that we've seen EA... Idk. It seems Larian has a very, VERY different idea about what BG is and what BG3 should be than I do. And I dare say I'm not the only one. (Obligatory disclaimer: no, I'm not calling for IE copy-paste.)

I have been all over looking at videos on YT in regards to this game, and all I see is positive comments (which is strange for YT). I go to gaming sites, positive comments. I go to Steam, positive. GOG....positive. It seems the most negative comments are on this forum. People said the same thing about the remake of Tomb Raider when Square Enix took over, and guess what, it was a great game. Personally I quite enjoy this game, there is some things that annoy me, but I will hold my judgement until the actual game comes out. I can tell you this, Larian is doing a better job than modern day Bioware would do.
On GoG BG3 is currently rated 3.9 and Solasta is rated 4.5. Positive doesn't mean acclaimed.
If the current game was the final build this would mean a 7.8/10 score, which at least in my eyes is a disaster of biblical proportions considering it is a BG sequel.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
You must have selective blinders because the overall tone is way more positive here than on Steam.

Of course, both combined still can't hold a candle to the den of relentless ass kissers that is the BG3 subreddit. A place where even remotely suggesting any aspect of the game leaves you anything less than 100% satisfied will make you the target of a pitchfork mob.
Unless it's about wanting more customization and romance options. In that case they'll have your back, because they think the final goal of Baldur's Gate 3 is becoming the ultimate fantasy dating sim.

I conducted a poll there recently about rule implementation, and the current result is closer rule implementation losing at a 42%. Thought that it would be way worse actually.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lvekqc/poll_5e_rule_implementation/

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Danielbda
So I have quite mixed feelings on this. If someone asked me about this a couple of months ago, I'd say I wouldn't trust Obsidian to do BG3 justice and that Larian is the best choice - after I've read the interviews and watched the team speak with such passion about this project. I actually did say this many times and argued with the nay-sayers.

But now that we've seen EA... Idk. It seems Larian has a very, VERY different idea about what BG is and what BG3 should be than I do. And I dare say I'm not the only one. (Obligatory disclaimer: no, I'm not calling for IE copy-paste.)

On GoG BG3 is currently rated 3.9 and Solasta is rated 4.5. Positive doesn't mean acclaimed.
If the current game was the final build this would mean a 7.8/10 score, which at least in my eyes is a disaster of biblical proportions considering it is a BG sequel.

I am talking reviews, not critic scores, you also forgot to mention that SOLASTA has like 8-10 reviews on GOG, just 2 pages. And BG3 has over 66 pages. What people are actually saying. You forgot to mention it has a very positive rating on Steam. Not sure where you get the "its looked upon badly on Steam" Tuco, only negative review I saw was yours. Not to mention, Steam BG3 has close to 33k reviews and SOLASTA has a little over 2500 lol.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 04/03/21 04:30 PM.
addict
addict

I am talking reviews, not critic scores. What people are actually saying. You forgot to mention it has a very positive rating on Steam. Not sure where you get the "its looked upon badly on Steam" Tuco, only negative review I saw was yours. Not to mention, Steam BG3 has close to 33k reviews and SOLASTA has a little over 2500 lol.
Don't understand your post, there is no "critic scores" on GoG. If you have the game you can post a review with a score, thats it, just player scores. The players that played Solasta liked it more than the ones that played BG3.
I think this says something at least regarding gameplay.

addict
addict

I conducted a poll there recently about rule implementation, and the current result is closer rule implementation losing at a 42%. Thought that it would be way worse actually.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lvekqc/poll_5e_rule_implementation/
It mirrors that pure 5e rule implementation has been a divisive topic. We need to consider that, some voters may have no knowledge of 5e rules. So 42% saying they would like the game to be closer to RAW makes sense.

P
addict
addict
P
Don't understand your post, there is no "critic scores" on GoG. If you have the game you can post a review with a score, thats it, just player scores. The players that played Solasta liked it more than the ones that played BG3.

I am not sure, do you not understand that having a higher review rating with 8 reviews (and not even that much higher of a rating), is not comparable to having a slightly less review rating with over 33k reviews? You cannot even remotely think that an accurate rating of approval shows it is a more popular game with a pool of 8 players opinions to 33k players opinions.

addict
addict

I am not sure, do you not understand that having a higher review rating with 8 reviews (and not even that much higher of a rating), is not comparable to having a slightly less review rating with over 33k reviews? You cannot even remotely think that an accurate rating of approval shows it is a more popular game with a pool of 8 players opinions to 33k players opinions.
Don't know where those numbers are from but you are mistaking review for scores. On GoG you can post a review along with a score, but you can also rate the game without posting a review, therefore these numbers are not correct.
The difference in scores has increased actually, Solasta is now at 4.6, this on a 10 scale system would be a 9.2/10, which would mean critical acclaim.

veteran
veteran
[quote=Tuco]

Well, as I said it's completely worthless.
Most of the people in the subreddit would stick with "Larian did the right thing" if Larian devs were taking turns pissing in their bowl of cereals.
It's not really a matter of endorsing one rulesystem over the other. They are just THAT dedicated at bootlicking (and incredibly hostile over anyone who voices criticism, in general).

Last edited by Tuco; 04/03/21 07:14 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
D
D
Yeah, /r/BaldursGate3 is a scary place for a non-cultist.

Banned
Banned
[quote=Tuco]

Most of the people in the subreddit would stick with "Larian did the right thing" if Larian devs were taking turns pissing in their bowl of cereals.
It's not really a matter of endorsing one rulesystem over the other. They are just THAT dedicated at bootlicking (and incredibly hostile over anyone who voices criticism, in general).

Eh, they don't really care about Larian. Most of 'em are pretty clearly woke tumblr/twitter folk entirely too fixated on the romance aspect of the game, and by that i mean crazies way too horny for pixels, but they have no loyatly or anything like that. Hell, i bet if Larian were to tone it down, or god forbid remove that one character that gets all their love and devotion **Astarion**, BG3 would get reviewbombed in 2.3 seconds.

"Remins me of Reylos" Innateagle wrote, shuddering.

Last edited by Innateagle; 04/03/21 08:18 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Innateagle
[quote=Tuco]

Eh, they don't really care about Larian. Most of 'em are pretty clearly woke tumblr/twitter folk entirely too fixated on the romance aspect of the game, and by that i mean crazies way too horny for pixels, but they have no loyatly or anything like that. Hell, i bet if Larian were to tone it down, or god forbid remove that one character that gets all their love and devotion **Astarion**, BG3 would get reviewbombed in 2.3 seconds.

Sad but true.

veteran
veteran

Oh, trust me, you aren't revealing me anything new here.
This is what I had to say to them myself barely few days ago: https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...s_are_a_really_depressing_sight/go9b142/

veteran
veteran
[quote=Tuco]

I don't think it's fair to lump everyone that enjoys the game into the "woke" crowd (I don't like using that word anyways, it doesn't encourage discussion), but I do agree with you that there would be massive fall out if Larian toned down the romance/sexiness of everything.

Banned
Banned

This is what I had to say to them myself barely few days ago: https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...s_are_a_really_depressing_sight/go9b142/

lmao

I get why you said BW fans now tho. Some of those posts are strong in the post ME3 vibes.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
[quote=Tuco]

I don't think it's fair to lump everyone that enjoys the game into the "woke" crowd (I don't like using that word anyways, it doesn't encourage discussion), but I do agree with you that there would be massive fall out if Larian toned down the romance/sexiness of everything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lod34b/bg3_community_in_a_nutshell/

It's the post that made me decide i'd rather go look on Larian's twitter for news. Pretty woke, dude.

veteran
veteran
Many people on this Larian temple have real opinions about the game and I was surprised when I had good conversations or a few upvote when I talked about the games mechanics.

Here and there, many agrees that food during combats is ridiculous.
Many agree that dipping is way too OP/easy
Many agree that jump should be something else than disengage.
Many...

But "many" is nothing when 1000 people are more interrested in funny memes and just don't give a s*** about game mechanics.
That's not something they want to talk about because the majority just don't care.

And larian by analysing things in a biased way is convinced that if those 1000 people don't talk about something : that means they like it and that it couldn't be improved.

This game as a huge potential that's gonna be wasted.
It could become the game of a whole generation... and it's only gonna be the next Larian sucessful game.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/03/21 08:57 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
But "many" is nothing when 1000 people are more interrested in funny memes and just don't give a s*** about game mechanics.
That's not something they want to talk about because the majority just don't care.

Yep. I had typed up more but I mostly just feel apathy for the game now.

P
addict
addict
P

Don't know where those numbers are from but you are mistaking review for scores. On GoG you can post a review along with a score, but you can also rate the game without posting a review, therefore these numbers are not correct.
The difference in scores has increased actually, Solasta is now at 4.6, this on a 10 scale system would be a 9.2/10, which would mean critical acclaim.

Don't know where those numbers are from? Directly from the store pages for Baldurs Gate 3 on both Steam and GOG. It isn't hidden. So I am guessing you have never taken a statistics course in college have you? having a 4.6 with like 8 or 10 reviews cannot compare to having a 3.7 with 33k reviews. The larger the sample, the more the review score varies. You are literally trying to judge a game to meet your own view of a game, buy saying "well game A has a 4.6 rating so it is better! But it only has 10 reviews so..." The score yeah of course the number on GOG could go up, a single poster from this forum could go post a 5 star review, and it would have a substantial effect on its overall rating.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 04/03/21 09:46 PM.
P
addict
addict
P

Well I guess not everyone can be an elite old school gamer like you Tuco.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard