stranger
V
Bards and sorcerers.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Dexai
I think Four Elements Monk is the closest, but it's not really the same either. Since that's probably the least liked of the Monk subclasses I'd say it's probably nowhere as ridiculously powerful as kineticists are either

Fair. I guess I was thinking of the 3.5E warlock, but in 5E its definitely the Four Elements Monk. But even there the similarity is mostly in flavor rather than power and ability.

old hand
old hand
I just realised that because of the relative lack of good heavy armour in the EA the Barb and Monk is going to have a relative power boost during it.

Also I hope they remember to give the Barbarian clothing instead of armour.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast
Definitely Sorcerer. Don't have any 5e acquaintance, 3.5 mostly, so looking forward to.
(Tried warlock, sort of fun, but didn't really fit me.)

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
For full classes, this game will feel incomplete to me without Artificer being an option.
"But it's not set in Eberron."
So? That doesn't matter. Just because there's not already a place full of people doing what artificer's do as a commonplace thing doesn't mean there can't be some people out there trying to do such things.
The only distinction would be that it doesn't look as advanced as you'd expect of an Eberron setting. Heck, you could even justify random enemy goblin artificer's where there creations would be jurry-rigged out of scrap.
The very class page for Artificers already states they're found throughought the entire DnD multiverse, not just the Eberron setting, which can easily include this game.
Honestly I don't rightly get where's there's so many people out there who think Artificer = Eberron only, thus causing me to add these extra sentences.
But maybe the people causing that aren't in the BG community anyway, idk.

Regarding subclasses, especially considering all the Illythid involvement, I would *really* want all the more "lovecraftian" subclasses. Aberrant mind being the first to come to mind, pun half intended.

apprentice
apprentice
Paladin

But I am also very nervous about how they may decide to handle Divine Smite

veteran
veteran
Bard, probably half wood elf lore bard.

I definitively want a class that uses charisma. Being a skill monkey would also be good. I (the main char) want to interact with others. But at the moment I talk with Wyll to everyone because he has highest cha.
A lore bard with criminal background and the right spells can replace a rogue, a healer and a wizard/sorcerer. This means I have maximum freedom in selecting the other party members.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The Old Soul
For full classes, this game will feel incomplete to me without Artificer being an option.
So? That doesn't matter. Just because there's not already a place full of people doing what artificer's do as a commonplace thing doesn't mean there can't be some people out there trying to do such things.
The only distinction would be that it doesn't look as advanced as you'd expect of an Eberron setting. Heck, you could even justify random enemy goblin artificer's where there creations would be jurry-rigged out of scrap.
The very class page for Artificers already states they're found throughought the entire DnD multiverse, not just the Eberron setting, which can easily include this game.
Honestly I don't rightly get where's there's so many people out there who think Artificer = Eberron only, thus causing me to add these extra sentences.

Regarding subclasses, especially considering all the Illythid involvement, I would *really* want all the more "lovecraftian" subclasses. Aberrant mind being the first to come to mind, pun half intended.

Artificer is not eberron specific anymore, and even then wasn't really. Artificer is a full class that is meant to be adaptable to any setting with some flavor work.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Just had a thought regarding Paladins - I feel like based on the way mechanics have been implemented and the narrative direction of the campaign, I have a feeling that Oath of Devotion and Oath of the Ancients will be the Paladins implemented, while Oath of Vengeance will be left out.

I suspect Oathbreaker may be a dark-horse 3rd subclass for Paladin, maybe even as a NPC only class for a specific companion (only because of in-game books talking about it, and the backgrounds of certain datamined NPCs)

My rationale:

- Vow of Enmity loses quite a bit of value due to easy-advantage in BG3
- Relentless Avenger simply won't work without proper reactions - which BG3 doesn't seem to have right now (and we have no idea if it will be implemented)
- Not sure if we'll get to level 13, but Dimension Door doesn't gel well with BG3's game world set-up in general
- Devotion -> anti-fiend, Ancients -> Druid and Nature - just seem to fit so rightly with the current narrative

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

Artificer is not eberron specific anymore, and even then wasn't really. Artificer is a full class that is meant to be adaptable to any setting with some flavor work.

This is pretty true, Artificer was introduced in 3.5 eberron campaign setting. Along with Changeling, warforged, and whatever tattoos feats...i think they were called dragon marks, something like that. Artificer main stick was enchanting armor/weapons and crafting, including crafting homunculus pets. I can imagine it would go well with pretty much any setting with magic included in it.

Edit* that is 3.5 though, I can't imagine it changed much for 5e, could be wrong.

Last edited by fallenj; 11/03/21 12:20 AM.
stranger
stranger
Bard would be my top choice, due to their flexible party role, but I am also looking forward to Sorcerer.

I prefer to play charisma classes in single player CRPGs so I can be the face of the party. Warlock has a very specific defining character flavor of having made a deal with a dangerous/evil/unknown entity, one that I don't always want to play (even though they are one of my favorite classes in TT).

I am really hoping they add Aberrant Sorcerer, though I realize it is not in the PHB. The psionic classes would fit really well with the plot thus far.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj

This is pretty true, Artificer was introduced in 3.5 eberron campaign setting. Along with Changeling, warforged, and whatever tattoos feats...i think they were called dragon marks, something like that. Artificer main stick was enchanting armor/weapons and crafting, including crafting homunculus pets. I can imagine it would go well with pretty much any setting with magic included in it.

Edit* that is 3.5 though, I can't imagine it changed much for 5e, could be wrong.

Same thing happened in 4e and 5e, but 5e also moved it into Tasha's to make it even more clear that Artificer is not exclusive to Eberron. And they also made it clear that flavor can be anything, an artillerist can use wands or guns, an alchemis magical or scientific brews, and a battlesmith can retheme their steel defender to be a rocky or iron golem that is more magical than mechanical.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by SunGuardian
Paladin

But I am also very nervous about how they may decide to handle Divine Smite

Same. I really want to build my half elf paladin but with the system in place now, I don't know how Larian is planning to implement Divine Smite. It's probably why we haven't seen them yet even though modders have seen the code.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj

Same thing happened in 4e and 5e, but 5e also moved it into Tasha's to make it even more clear that Artificer is not exclusive to Eberron. And they also made it clear that flavor can be anything, an artillerist can use wands or guns, an alchemis magical or scientific brews, and a battlesmith can retheme their steel defender to be a rocky or iron golem that is more magical than mechanical.

Presuming Artillerist, Alchemist, & Battlesmith are subclasses for the class?

Edit* NVM I found the info on a website, there is another subclass called Armorer and two unofficial subclasses called Forge Adept and Maverick

Edit2* Looks like they turned Artificer pet feat into a sublcass for battlesmith big shocker.

Edit3*Nice to see they can still make magic items though

Last edited by fallenj; 11/03/21 02:57 AM.
stranger
stranger
Guess I got lucky but the class I most like to play was in the game from day one (Ranger).

If I had to choose another it would be the Paladin I guess. I prefer to play classes that are not that much into magic.

I look much more forward to new races than classes.

stranger
stranger
Paladin. Also hoping Aasimar make it into the game.

S
addict
addict
S
But maybe the people causing that aren't in the BG community anyway, idk..

...maybe I'm alone, but outside the alchemist, I really don't like the artificer.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Scribe
But maybe the people causing that aren't in the BG community anyway, idk..

...maybe I'm alone, but outside the alchemist, I really don't like the artificer.

Any particular reason, like is it Balance or theming? Cause if former I got nothing to help on that, 5e balance is probably going to continue as it always has. If it is the latter, they are very very easy to retheme by nature even without the tasha's thing, cause Eldritch Cannons can just be wands so you are a wandmaker, and Battlesmith can just be a golemancer so their Steel Defender is less mechanical and more lumpy stone and metal. The armorer is arguably the hardist but it can pulled back in description to just runic enchantments and not the weird suits they describe now.
Regardless, not liking it is valid, even if it is just "Don't like it cause don't like it", though I tend to agree with Old Soul that it is a bit incomplete without it cause I want Artificer to be a mainstay.
(Then again, I am one of those that want Bloodhunter to finally be considered official at some point so we can have that weird not natural fighter but somewhat magical class niche filled.)

M
Banned
Banned
M
Have to be dragoon and dark knight for me!

S
addict
addict
S
Any particular reason, like is it Balance or theming? Cause if former I got nothing to help on that, 5e balance is probably going to continue as it always has. If it is the latter, they are very very easy to retheme by nature even without the tasha's thing, cause Eldritch Cannons can just be wands so you are a wandmaker, and Battlesmith can just be a golemancer so their Steel Defender is less mechanical and more lumpy stone and metal. The armorer is arguably the hardist but it can pulled back in description to just runic enchantments and not the weird suits they describe now.
Regardless, not liking it is valid, even if it is just "Don't like it cause don't like it", though I tend to agree with Old Soul that it is a bit incomplete without it cause I want Artificer to be a mainstay.
(Then again, I am one of those that want Bloodhunter to finally be considered official at some point so we can have that weird not natural fighter but somewhat magical class niche filled.)

Mostly because even if you reskin it, it's a highly magical class, that is not self contained.

A wizard is magical, but it's the wizard.
A paladin is magical, but it's the paladin.

Even if you reskin them (and I would have to, I don't like Eberron) you have a class making objects around them, Magical.

It's a deviation from the start.

Not sure if I'm explaining that well but, it's daylight savings time, and I'll be braindead today...

Last edited by Scribe; 15/03/21 03:14 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard