Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was playing through the first couple of hours of Baldur's Gate EE last night and I had a few moments that made me stop and think about Baldur's Gate 3. i laughed out loud at dialogue choice or a quest I did. One was a thief that keeps stealing from us when we talk to him even though he wants help and the journal entry was written as if we're his psychologist, which was a great moment. the other one was two dialogue choices with a quest about a chicken. Fowl jokes, and something related to that.

It made me realize that I don't remember laughing out loud while playing Baldur's Gate 3 in relation to actual dialogue or quests. I've laughed when I yeeted someone off a cliff, or said "ah yeaa" when i did over 20 damage in a single attack, but I can't remember laughing at a dialogue option or funny quest. Sure, when Lae'zel and I got into an insult match, it was 'sort' of funny, but it played out as just more mean spirited and not "laugh out loud" sort of funny.

Do you guys find the game funny? and does that even matter to you?

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
It matters to me. I enjoy being an ass to gale and astarion and I'm glad they put in the option to always insult them, sometimes in a string. Sending the dwarf flying off the windmill was funny, kind of. Troll sex was amusing. There's plenty of amusing moments but not really all the way funny.

old hand
old hand
I don't generally laugh at things unless there's other people involved. Maybe a chuckle at most.

As for BG3 the dialogue with Mattis where you keep bothering him for coin tosses is probably the thing I've found most humorous so far.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
To me, Baldur's Gate 3 feels like a new campaign in the same setting as 1&2, but with a different DM, who has a different style and a different sense of humor.

I chuckled at the delirious thrall who wanted my help to kill 10 rats... while we're on a burning Nautiloid flying through the Hells. A nice reference.

Last edited by agouzov; 05/03/21 03:47 PM.
I mostly laugh when a party member flubs an easy shot. "How could you miss, you idiot!" Laughing is better than throwing something at the screen in frustration.

old hand
old hand
Windmill got me, the only one I remember. Other than that just goofing around with a couple of my buddies in multi.

addict
addict
The humor in the game hasn't made me laugh. It's mostly been a contrast to the seriousness of the illithid plotline. It's hard to get out of the zone that we're invested in a serious plot.

Especially with Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, and Astarion being serious most of the time.

It's not important for this game to make me laugh, but I'm hopeful when the good characters are introduced they'll lighten the narrative. Then the humor can shine in Baldur's Gate 3.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
When I released the brakes, by mistake, in the windmill I laughed hard.

Nevertheless I don't see the BG series as sets open to humor. So I don't miss laughs.

When I want laughs I search for comedy oriented games (like Zack McKraken and the invaders of mars or Monkey Island).

veteran
veteran
I did not laugh much in BG3 but thats OK.
The game manages to create a good atmosphere and thats the most importent thing.
They somehow managed to have a very dark setting without making the player feel depressed.
This was a bit of a problem in PoE1 for me. You are going insane, lots of cultists and the biggest attracktion in the first town is a tree with hanged people. This could really pull you down when the only thing that was a bit funny were some comments of your companions.

The best laugh I had lately when playing the beta of Wraith of the Rightious.
Without too much spoilers, imagine a scientist who does a field study on demonic cultists.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
When I released the brakes, by mistake, in the windmill I laughed hard.

Nevertheless I don't see the BG series as sets open to humor. So I don't miss laughs.

When I want laughs I search for comedy oriented games (like Zack McKraken and the invaders of mars or Monkey Island).

Oh yeah the first time when I hit accelerate rather than brakes and he went flying cracked me up. I was like WTF!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
Other than that just goofing around with a couple of my buddies in multi.

it's funny you mention buddies, I googled "funny moments in Baldur's gate 3" and there was a video, but all it was, was a bunch of people laughing as they killed stuff and each other in BG3, it wasn't actually funny moments in Baldur's Gate 3.

Originally Posted by Madscientist
This was a bit of a problem in PoE1 for me.

Yea, PoE was just too dark for me. I don't need to be laughing when i play a game, but I find BG3 a little too serious sometimes. Every conversation is played as serious, even when it's a ridiculous situation. I'd love a silly cutscene where you catch Lae'zel playing with scratch or something just to have her try to explain it or something like that. Sure it would be "out of character" in a sense, but it'd be a nice reprieve.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 05/03/21 05:00 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
I've been engaged in other games. BG 1 and 2, Vampire.

Hopefully the later content in BG 3 gets us to care.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I did chuckle whilst having an argument with a very petulant squirrel about which trees I was allowed to walk near and which ones were hers...

apprentice
apprentice
There have been a few times I've chuckled a little bit while playing BG3 (I don't really laugh out loud usually no matter how funny I find something). On the other hand, I didn't find a lot of the humor in the earlier Baldur's Gate games that funny.

I do enjoy some humor in games, but it doesn't ruin a game for me if most of the jokes fall flat (unless they're like, really, really bad).

Last edited by tourmaline; 05/03/21 08:09 PM.
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
I laughed at the squirrels hanging out by the bard. I walked up. She's singing. There are squirrels at her feet. I thought it was meant to be this idyllic scene of her singing and attracting all the wildlife with her lovely voice.

Then I talked to the squirrels, and they're covering their ears, pleading with me to please make it stop.

That said, for the most part, I play the game for the more serious tone. The occasional bit of humor is okay, but I'd have no interest in something that didn't take itself seriously.

addict
addict
I don't personally enjoy Larian's writing. The originals had humor but it was very different in tone.

There are a lot of silly humorous lines in Astarion, Gale that don't fit characters that may turn into mid flayers imminently.

The overall story and characters ideas are great, but the dialogues are poorly written. There are some exceptions though like Laezel and Minthara.

The current animations also do not help. They seem to overutilize their hands/fingers; not very natural.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 05/03/21 11:10 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I laugh from the freedom the game awards me. My first playthtough I went as a lovable greedy rogue with a heart of gold, but now I'm going Evil, and I'm lying, deceiving, killing, and being the worst being I can. I slaughtered the entire goblin village just to rescue the gnome, and then killed him. I got mama owlbear, and when the game went all Bambi with the cub, I killed it too. All my dialogue options are for Deception, Intimidation and similar.

veteran
veteran
I laughed at Astarian's rejection lines. I don't think the dialogues are poorly written but I think they are much too short.

But the Larian ironic humor isn't my thing at all. When I watch videos of players laughing at goblins being some killed on some surface I feel no desire to guffaw along with them. That sense of humor relies upon an ironic detachment from the game that I just don't enjoy -- for me ironic detachment is the converse of immersion.

In BG2 I liked a) Jan and b) the clever references.

a) Jan was to BG2 as R2D2 & C-P30 were to star wars. Jan broke the tension of a dark, heavy, immersive experience.

b) I just liked playing "I got that reference" with BG2. There were lots of references to Shakespeare, to philosophers like Horkheimer and Sarte. "Animals are attacking Trademeet, it's like nothing I've ever seen. It's like a revolt of nature!" Okay, I see what you did there you over-educated devs you. By the way, why are a couple of MDs making video games anyway? . . .

Now there are some clever parts of BG3 as well -- whoever is writing Astarian is really doing something clever with the man who cannot look in the mirror. Astarian simply lacks the ability to engage in self reflection . . .

Right now I'm hoping for more cleverness and less cheese-loving ironist humor as in: "Haha! Now I'll become a teleporting badger! A now I'm a huge billy goat and I'll yeet the hag into a pit! Success! Put a block of cheese on my head because I'm the king of cheese, haha! Claps backs, punches arms . . . "

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 06/03/21 12:11 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Flipping the wrong switch on the windmill had me rolling for about 20 minutes! I even went back and tried it again! When it comes to combat, if I'm not crying I'm laughing. It can be soo one sided. I chuckled when I discovered the Blade of Frontiers eyeball in my inventory. I haven't said anything, given it to him and he hasn't asked, lol. Shadowheart makes a snide comment about light reading in the underdark.

Last edited by TAP002; 06/03/21 11:27 PM.
old hand
old hand
Interesting question. There are funny moments in this game, and Astarion's certainly entertaining, but there's nothing like the journal entries in the first game (which I love) or the various kooky characters (who I also love) or the silly little events/encounters scattered around that gave a feeling of fun, sort of wacky adventure. Larian's games don't have the same mindset.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard