T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
*walks into room.
*random die appears
*"Perception check failed"
Great, now I know there's a trap right there. I am getting the exact same outcome of failing the check that I would have from passing the check.

*in conversation
*npc talking
*"Perception check failed" appears on screen.
*Oh, so this npc just pulled some slight of hand on me. I now know they either pickpocketed or played some kinda trick, even though I'm not supposed to know. In this example I don't get the exact same effect as passing the check, but the main difference between passing and failing is supposed to be noticing vs not noticing that something happened, and I've noticed both ways.

veteran
veteran
You as a player do ...
Your character didnt ...

That is actual difference between noticing and not noticing. wink

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
You as a player do ...
Your character didnt ...

That is actual difference between noticing and not noticing. wink
So... you won't walk the rest of your party where the first PC failed their Perception check because the character doesn't know? smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by The Old Soul
*walks into room.
*random die appears
Great, now I know there's a trap right there. I am getting the exact same outcome of failing the check that I would have from passing the check.

*in conversation
*npc talking
*Oh, so this npc just pulled some slight of hand on me. I now know they either pickpocketed or played some kinda trick, even though I'm not supposed to know. In this example I don't get the exact same effect as passing the check, but the main difference between passing and failing is supposed to be noticing vs not noticing that something happened, and I've noticed both ways.
Well it's a perception check, not a passive perception check. There's a key difference between the two whether the game automatically rolls for you or not.

Typically you should be able to follow up with an investigation check or another perception check. It's just odd that true passive perception isn't in the game, when Divinity: Original Sin 2 had wits acting as passive perception should.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
*walks into room.
*random die appears

*in conversation
*npc talking
Well it's a perception check, not a passive perception check. There's a key difference between the two whether the game automatically rolls for you or not.

Typically you should be able to follow up with an investigation check or another perception check. It's just odd that true passive perception isn't in the game, when Divinity: Original Sin 2 had wits acting as passive perception should.

It is absolutely passive perception.
They key, defining difference between passive and active isn't the dice roll, it's whether or not you manually request it.
If I didn't wilfully push a button to check for traps as I walked into a room, any detection I pass or fail was passive. If I didn't press a button labeled "I don't trust this npc and want to intentionally watch for them to do something or giveaways" any insight or noticed act was passive. There are dialogue moments that create active checks, and they could very well give fitting classes actions to actively check for traps. If they do give a skill like that to anyone, it will naturally be even more important to hide the passive checks.

It would be better, yes, if the passive check was merely "Is their passive perception stat at X? Yes sees it, no doesn't." but even with a roll it's still a passive check, and should therefor be hidden on failure. It's like the dm rolling for you, behind the barrier, without you even hearing the dice.
And no, you shouldn't be able to follow up with another investigation or perception check. You already failed to notice anything, so you have no reason to think there's anything to notice. Ever been in a DnD group where one person rolls poorly when making an active attempt to check for traps, says there aren't any, then another player who's metagaming by reacting to the poor roll says "I don't trust them this time, so I want to check too."? Nobody likes that player, and they get told to stop metagaming.

Last edited by The Old Soul; 06/03/21 04:01 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
*walks into room.
*random die appears

*in conversation
*npc talking

It is absolutely passive perception.
They key, defining difference between passive and active isn't the dice roll, it's whether or not you manually request it.
If I didn't wilfully push a button to check for traps as I walked into a room, any detection I pass or fail was passive. If I didn't press a button labeled "I don't trust this npc and want to intentionally watch for them to do something or giveaways" any insight or noticed act was passive. There are dialogue moments that create active checks, and they could very well give fitting classes actions to actively check for traps. If they do give a skill like that to anyone, it will naturally be even more important to hide the passive checks.

It would be better, yes, if the passive check was merely "Is their passive perception stat at X? Yes sees it, no doesn't." but even with a roll it's still a passive check, and should therefor be hidden on failure. It's like the dm rolling for you, behind the barrier, without you even hearing the dice.
And no, you shouldn't be able to follow up with another investigation or perception check. You already failed to notice anything, so you have no reason to think there's anything to notice. Ever been in a DnD group where one person rolls poorly when making an active attempt to check for traps, says there aren't any, then another player who's metagaming by reacting to the poor roll says "I don't trust them this time, so I want to check too."? Nobody likes that player, and they get told to stop metagaming.

The difference is whether or not dice is rolled, Passive Checks. It's one of the most clearly defined rules in D&D.

A passive check is a special kind of ability check that doesn't involve any die rolls.

If dice are rolled it is an auto-roll, not passive perception. The perception roll is treated as an automated Group Check in Baldur's Gate 3.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
If if is done manually, it is an active check. If it happens automatically, it is a passive check. That is the full determination of those labels. Anything said to try to explain your way out of calling something that happened automatically "passive" is blatant falsehood, no matter who it comes from, devs and WotC included. If you don't want it to be called a passive check, then it needs the player to manually initiate it with an intentionally used action.

Last edited by The Old Soul; 06/03/21 05:48 AM.
addict
addict
Rules are rules. If dice are rolled it's an auto-roll. Passive checks are a specific mechanic similar to wits in D:OS2.

veteran
veteran
100% agree.

1) You always know where secret things are.
2) When I know I missed a secret, I'm frustrated.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/21 07:50 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
C
C
It's a bit odd though. Would be extremely frustrating to skip the rogue checking the room because the wizard was one step in the wrong direction.

"Nope, for some reason that was your party's check"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
So... you won't walk the rest of your party where the first PC failed their Perception check because the character doesn't know? smile
I totaly will ...
I see it as "something seem off around here, but i cant see anything ... would you people help me look out?" :P wink

You never know what have you missed ...
Especialy on first playthrough. It can be trap, it can be secret stash, it can be keyhole ... it can be some clue to quest.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/03/21 09:19 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Imagine the DM at the table go "There was a secret something... but you missed it!".

That's what BG3 is essentially doing.

JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Semantic definitions are irrelevant.

I agree. Hiding the checks would be better. It would allow for more immersion and increase replayability.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by CamKitty
It's a bit odd though. Would be extremely frustrating to skip the rogue checking the room because the wizard was one step in the wrong direction.

"Nope, for some reason that was your party's check"

That would be an active check dynamic, not a passive check dynamic.
And a group would presumably have the rogue (or perchance the monk/druid who likely have more wisdom and therefor possibly better perception) do the active check in the first place, not the wizard. It would then be the wizard who doesn't look at the rouge's bad roll and say "I want to do it too"

The passive check dynamic is when everybody walks into the room, nobody asks to roll, the dm either does hidden roles or just checks the passive stat of every party member, and if nobody passes nobody gets given *any* information. They don't know they missed something. If the wizard fails and the rogue passes the rogue gets told about the trap, but the group doesn't know the dm checked that the wizard failed first, the rogue could have been first.

veteran
veteran
I agree that passive rolls to detect something should not be shown because the purpose of a failed check is that you did not notice something.

At this point I do not care about the official difinition of passive and I use it as most people do:
active = you select to do something, passive = you don´t have to select something

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
The definition matters if Larian does actually add passive checks to the game. This isn't to take away from the intent of the thread, but definitions matter. Passive checks are a specific mechanic we do not have in Patch 4. It is up the the GM whether passive checks should be in the game.

I can agree the perception checks in the game seem flawed. Only getting one roll for perception feels weird, usually you can get multiple checks in if you really want to find out what's happening.

old hand
old hand
*walks into room.
*random die appears

*in conversation
*npc talking

Agreed!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
If if is done manually, it is an active check. If it happens automatically, it is a passive check. That is the full determination of those labels. Anything said to try to explain your way out of calling something that happened automatically "passive" is blatant falsehood, no matter who it comes from, devs and WotC included. If you don't want it to be called a passive check, then it needs the player to manually initiate it with an intentionally used action.
You are applying definitions used in the real world to a fantasy world that uses its own definitions. The etymological semantics are completely irrelevant to the discussion. In DnD a passive check does not involve dice rolls. An active check does. Get off your grammatical high horse and understand that the real world and the DnD world are not the same.

Last edited by Elessaria666; 06/03/21 10:19 PM.
veteran
veteran
ITT: People argue semantics. How about we replace "passive" with "secret"? (You could also replace "Passive Checkâ„¢" with "a check that is passively done")
If if is done manually, it is an active check. If it happens automatically, it is a [secret] check.
The title changes to
We shouldn't be notified of failed [secret] checks (especially perception)
In which case the title becomes a tautology. Obviously we shouldn't be notified of secret checks because, by definition, they are secret. Unless we succeed at the check, in which case the game should of course tell us what we noticed.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
ITT: People argue semantics. How about we replace "passive" with "secret"? (You could also replace "Passive Checkâ„¢" with "a check that is passively done")
If if is done manually, it is an active check. If it happens automatically, it is a [secret] check.
The title changes to
We shouldn't be notified of failed [secret] checks (especially perception)
In which case the title becomes a tautology. Obviously we shouldn't be notified of secret checks because, by definition, they are secret. Unless we succeed at the check, in which case the game should of course tell us what we noticed.

+1

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard