Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Scribe
The weight of discussion 'romance' in this game generates is comical out of proportion.

Not to Larian who knows their target audience.

So yeah, Single Player dating Sim and Dress up game?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
The weight of discussion 'romance' in this game generates is comical out of proportion.

Not to Larian who knows their target audience.

Yep. Check out the subreddit lol. It's very thirsty

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
They, to me, nailed the difficult implementation of Speak with Dead and Speak with Animals has good relevance.
Not really... Unless amulet that grants "Speak with the Dead" and plentiful potions of "Speak with Animals" are for testing purposes only, Larian once again doesn't actually have balls to make character builds relevant. "Speak with ..." would be interesting indeed, if it was a unique, optional content available only to those who will invest in it. Unless something changed with Druid patch, it is very much like "see ghosts" or "teleport" from D:OS2 - just normal content hidden behind a gimmick.

They “divinitized” BG3 because that’s the only way they know how to design a game. It is their N+1 sandbox solutions. If you killed everyone you can use that as Swen himself said.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Speak with animals in now even easier smile
Druids + Amulet and you can "speak with anyone".

But on the other hand it would be tedious as hell if it required spellslots. It could be more interresting if rituals was something and if it was opened to such spells. There it would be a part of "builds" (or not... because you can change your prepared spells everywhere...)
Well, my druid had to give the amulet to Shadowheart, because some dead refuse to "speak with their killer", and Shadowheart has that disguise spell. Unless there is another way around it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JoB
Originally Posted by Nyloth
I don't agree with you.

For example, Gale and Astarion are popular as romance characters, Wyll is not so popular. So, make Astarion or Gale gay, and you'll see the crowd come out with torches, figuratively speaking. The same thing will happen if you close Gale or Astarion for LGBT, the hype will be incredible. In a bad way ofc. I've already seen this on Mass Effect forum. Believe me. Anyway I believe that all characters can be traced to their true tastes. But give possibility of romance to everyone, and at least no one will complain.

Are they popular with male or female players? With male or female main characters? How popular is popular? Do 70% of the players romance them? More? Less? Do you have those numbers?

In regards to the crowd and torches, I agree. But that says nothing about what the majority of players want. It just acknowledges a vocal, aggressive group.

Larian has these numbers. And they have already said that the most romanceable character is Gale, and the most discussed (or popular) is Astarion. It was in one of their posts. Just statistics. Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine the gender, because women can play male characters and man can play female characters. So trying to find out the gender statistics is pretty useless.

Nothing new? Romance are the most discussed thing if game have this. Or do you think the popularity bioware games came from a deep plot or mechanics? Please, we just wanted to kiss lizard.

Last edited by Nyloth; 08/03/21 10:48 PM.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Originally Posted by teclis23
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Originally Posted by Wormerine
i would associate it with the equivalent of GTA5 but for a RPG. BG3 is the GTA5 for RPGS.
I wouldn’t be that harsh.

10/10 for sarcasm. lol. "The GTA5s of RPGs..." OMG if Larian picks up on that, I swear...

Please elaborate?

The game is <so good> that I started playing BG2 again and realized how BG3 as a Baldurs gate game is overwhelmingly bad.
But it looks great! And the rated PG13 cinematic telltale dialogues are a comical treat. And the romances...next level stuff if your under 30. Really makes you want to dress-up as your favorite NPC companion!
Larian did a great job with their target audience.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 09/03/21 12:45 AM.
The game is <so good> that I started playing BG2 again and realized how BG3 as a Baldurs gate game is overwhelmingly bad.
But it looks great! And the rated PG13 cinematic telltale dialogues are a comical treat. And the romances...next level stuff if your under 30. Really makes you want to dress-up as your favorite NPC companion!
Oh, let people have their fun. And it's not like people haven't been cosplaying Minsc for years. If you don't like the game, by the way, what keeps you here?

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
Oh, let people have their fun. And it's not like people haven't been cosplaying Minsc for years. If you don't like the game, by the way, what keeps you here?

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Criticizing a game for its childish tone on some aspects is equal to wanting to world to burn? I just like to be negative/very critic of things.
Unlike other people who likes seeing roses in everything.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 09/03/21 01:55 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Criticizing a game for its childish tone on some aspects is equal to wanting to world to burn? I just like to be negative/very critic of things.
Unlike other people who likes seeing roses in everything.

Yep, you are practically histories greatest monster. On an unrelated note, comedic overstatement and sarcasm are myths. 😁

@mr_planescapist, I actually quite enjoy your "negative/very critic of things".

That allows me to go full throttle on "seeing roses in everything" without feeling that I might unbalanced things a bit with my 2 cents.

So I encourage you to keep going and .. impress us a bit more ! smile

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by JoB
I don't agree with you.

For example, Gale and Astarion are popular as romance characters, Wyll is not so popular. So, make Astarion or Gale gay, and you'll see the crowd come out with torches, figuratively speaking. The same thing will happen if you close Gale or Astarion for LGBT, the hype will be incredible. In a bad way ofc. I've already seen this on Mass Effect forum. Believe me. Anyway I believe that all characters can be traced to their true tastes. But give possibility of romance to everyone, and at least no one will complain.

Are they popular with male or female players? With male or female main characters? How popular is popular? Do 70% of the players romance them? More? Less? Do you have those numbers?

In regards to the crowd and torches, I agree. But that says nothing about what the majority of players want. It just acknowledges a vocal, aggressive group.

Larian has these numbers. And they have already said that the most romanceable character is Gale, and the most discussed (or popular) is Astarion. It was in one of their posts. Just statistics. Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine the gender, because women can play male characters and man can play female characters. So trying to find out the gender statistics is pretty useless.

Nothing new? Romance are the most discussed thing if game have this. Or do you think the popularity bioware games came from a deep plot or mechanics? Please, we just wanted to kiss lizard.

The story of Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were absolutely the draw.

It wasn't the romance.

The romances in BG2 make an absolute embarrassment of this games romance options BTW.

old hand
old hand

It is a rather loud minority that talks about all of that. Also, speak for yourself with this "we" stuff. :P Some of us actually play games for the story, deep or not, and I happen to like the combat mechanics in the ME trilogy. Those games probably also had my favourite companions out of most that I have played, but like in every other game, I still didn't care one bit about romance.

veteran
veteran
I never understood this hype for romances in such games.
The only "romances" I loved was in the Final Fantasy series but it's not really the same and romances are a part of the emotions related to the story.

In those games it's not so Im' not really interrested. Anyway, in Baldur's Gate 3 I didn't see any romances...
Companions like your actions a bit and even if you nearly never talked with them in private, the only thing that happen is sex.

I don't really understand why this is called "romance" by players.

Maybe I'm too old but usually when I started a relashionship with drunked sex, it never lead to any romance...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/03/21 09:02 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
C
C
Originally Posted by JoB
I don't agree with you.

The story of Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were absolutely the draw.

It wasn't the romance.

The romances in BG2 make an absolute embarrassment of this games romance options BTW.

The draw to you maybe. You're in no position to generalise about everyone else.

The main story to BG2 isn't that complex. Mad wizard abducts you, you escape, rescue Imoen, get back your soul, kill baddie. The story to one is even more bare. You go through 60% of the game before you hear the name Sarevok and 90% before you realise he's the same guy you met that killed Gorion. Nothing drives you as a player to follow the main story, except quest givers and it's a videogame, so why not?

What made them popular to my mind was they were first games that married (for then) decent graphics, with videogame concepts and the world of d%d and Faerun. Done with humour. And, when it came to BG2 great characters. And yes, romance. I remember reviews making a big deal of it back then.

Story wise Planescape Torment and Mask of the Betrayer are better arguably thematically with more player agency, a more complex central conceit. But BG is regarded as more of a classic. That's because BG did other things right too, especially 2. Great battles, puzzles, a great performance from David Warner, a few superb dungeons, interesting enemies.

Overall you have to look at BG as a whole, 2 1/2 games to judge its story. You're comparing this to one act of EA. The story of BG3 is the thing that's got me most excited.

Also, if you rate the romances in BG2, try out Anomen's. You're in for a shock.

I quite like the Shadowheart scene. You share a bottle of wine, looked at the stars and she may or may not confide a bit in you

A lot of people enjoy dnd because it let's you roleplay a character. Kinda sounds like you look down on these types of people.

Banned
Banned

Exactly. We all remember the backlashes suffered by Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda were born not out of lackluster plots and mechanics, but because there simply wasn't a Wrex romance.

I am joking, of course. A romance with a masculine, overgrown frog would have only quenched a minority's needs. For the majority they would have needed something more akin to Jared Leto's Joker, but a bit more anime.

N
stranger
stranger
N
PS Larian you need to tone done the wokeness in BG3, we dont need all this diversity and equality BS in our faces. In my opinion i generally tune into games like this to tune out from the world and relax i dont want to see political issues thrust in my face. Apart from this well done 100%.

If it is like Pillar of Eternity (both of them), then it´s acceptable, perfectable Ok with it.

But, if it is like Pathfinder Kingmaker, then it´s a big turn-off (at least for me). No, I don´t want to receive lecture about how to treat my girlfriend or how some people suffer more than others.

"Romance" in RPGs are usually very naive. I simple don´t care most of times. Until now there are no character that I think it´s interesting for "romance", none of female at least. Well, it´s my opinion only.

Last edited by Nameless´s Fan; 09/03/21 03:01 PM. Reason: Repetitive stuff
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zarna

It is a rather loud minority that talks about all of that. Also, speak for yourself with this "we" stuff. :P Some of us actually play games for the story, deep or not, and I happen to like the combat mechanics in the ME trilogy. Those games probably also had my favourite companions out of most that I have played, but like in every other game, I still didn't care one bit about romance.

Wow you guys... That was joke about lizard lol. But not a joke about the discussion, otherwise there would not be so many guides on romance. Even if game doesn't have romance functions, people are more likely to discuss about characters, express sympathy or hatred. Of course, I'm talking about more mass social networks, and not some forums. Nowadays, few people use forums to communicate and spread their word. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I saw the message "mechanics in this game were amazing!!"on Twitter. Yea.

Originally Posted by Innateagle

Exactly. We all remember the backlashes suffered by Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda were born not out of lackluster plots and mechanics, but because there simply wasn't a Wrex romance.

I am joking, of course. A romance with a masculine, overgrown frog would have only quenched a minority's needs. For the majority they would have needed something more akin to Jared Leto's Joker, but a bit more anime.

Many people rejected MEA just because Jaal wasn't available for male characters (not joke). It's a good thing you didn't read bioware forums before MEA was release, many people didn't care about plot, mechanics, or graphics at all. Or do you think they changed Jaal orientation for nothing? No cuz ppl cry a lot about that. So yea, I cant say 'romance it's nothing'. You can advertise your game very well just because of this feature.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
The draw to you maybe. You're in no position to generalise about everyone else.

The main story to BG2 isn't that complex. Mad wizard abducts you, you escape, rescue Imoen, get back your soul, kill baddie. The story to one is even more bare. You go through 60% of the game before you hear the name Sarevok and 90% before you realise he's the same guy you met that killed Gorion. Nothing drives you as a player to follow the main story, except quest givers and it's a videogame, so why not?

What made them popular to my mind was they were first games that married (for then) decent graphics, with videogame concepts and the world of d%d and Faerun. Done with humour. And, when it came to BG2 great characters. And yes, romance. I remember reviews making a big deal of it back then.

Story wise Planescape Torment and Mask of the Betrayer are better arguably thematically with more player agency, a more complex central conceit. But BG is regarded as more of a classic. That's because BG did other things right too, especially 2. Great battles, puzzles, a great performance from David Warner, a few superb dungeons, interesting enemies.

Overall you have to look at BG as a whole, 2 1/2 games to judge its story. You're comparing this to one act of EA. The story of BG3 is the thing that's got me most excited.

Also, if you rate the romances in BG2, try out Anomen's. You're in for a shock.

I quite like the Shadowheart scene. You share a bottle of wine, looked at the stars and she may or may not confide a bit in you

A lot of people enjoy dnd because it let's you roleplay a character. Kinda sounds like you look down on these types of people.

The core story of BG1/BG2 is simple but delivered in a very solid narrative. The writing and voice acting were very solid and sometimes even stellar. But what really stood out was the political background and all the lore that was detailed for you throughout the world. It made feel you were in a living world. That was the charm of BG1/2 story.

I like the main ideas for BG3, but I feel the writing is off. The characters seem immature with some silly dialogues. I feel that Raphael and Astarion should be menacing but they sound comical.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Innateagle

Many people rejected MEA just because Jaal wasn't available for male characters (not joke). It's a good thing you didn't read bioware forums before MEA was release, many people didn't care about plot, mechanics, or graphics at all. Or do you think they changed Jaal orientation for nothing? No cuz ppl cry a lot about that. So yea, I cant say 'romance it's nothing'. You can advertise your game very well just because of this feature.

That game was born dead. That the devs changed one of their own characters in such a way only speaks of a desperate attempt not to lose even more of their playerbase than they already had.

If their game is more than romance, and has the backing that entails, devs don't even need to consider turning Garrus from the original trilogy into a gay bird, or Judy from Cyberpunk into a straight pixel.

Of course, again, i'm joking. Patching the sexual orentation of a female fictional character would likely summon more pitchforks than desperados.

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
The core story of BG1/BG2 is simple but delivered in a very solid narrative. The writing and voice acting were very solid and sometimes even stellar. But what really stood out was the political background and all the lore that was detailed for you throughout the world. It made feel you were in a living world. That was the charm of BG1/2 story.

I like the main ideas for BG3, but I feel the writing is off. The characters seem immature with some silly dialogues. I feel that Raphael and Astarion should be menacing but they sound comical.

Have you tried mocking Astarion for dreaming about Cazador? It's straight up what you're saying.

The menace is just lost in the overblown dramatics, which is kind of fine in Astarion's case since he's mostly a joke anyway (not meant as an insult) but feels pretty strange with Raphael.

Praise when praise is due though, the companions' dialogues after meeting did do a fantastic job of building him up for me way more than his talk alone managed. Wyll's little tale about how the devil will take everything was especially eerie and cool.

Bit of a segway, but lowkey there needs to be a VAs appreciation post. I'm not super into anyone but damn. Everyone's pretty freaking awesome in this game.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard