Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
The overall impression I have from those games and how they're handling this one, is that they're very interested in fixing bugs, and they may slightly tone down something here and there where the fix is easy, like eliminating a few of the surface effects resulting from spellcasting. But they probably won't change any fundamental aspects of the design like the party size, the camp rest mechanic, or the use of homebrew departures from 5e rules. Either because it's what they want, or it's already been baked into the cake and it's too late to change.

Yeah I agree. I think for the most part, the base mechanics of this game are baked in and final, maybe some tweaking here and there but I don't see them changing anything major like Party size, or any other major game designs. I think at this stage, they are just interested in crash reports and some issues with Stadia and other items like that. But that is just my opinion on the matter, so who knows what Larian is thinking. They saw that height advantage was needing a tweak and so they tweaked it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
I think it's simply up to the mods.

Perhaps they don't want this to become a mega thread simply because it's inconvenient, as it asks something from them they don't like? I don't know.

It's like some have said recently; they didn't change too much in EA with their previous games and are perhaps unlikely to change much in this, but ..... I would appreciate it if they at least communicated that! Just something like "we know lots of you want us to be more faithful with the core rules, but we refuse to make changes like that" or something. At least then we'd know.

Originally Posted by andreasrylander

Perhaps they don't want this to become a mega thread simply because it's inconvenient, as it asks something from them they don't like? I don't know.

It's like some have said recently; they didn't change too much in EA with their previous games and are perhaps unlikely to change much in this, but ..... I would appreciate it if they at least communicated that! Just something like "we know lots of you want us to be more faithful with the core rules, but we refuse to make changes like that" or something. At least then we'd know.

Their Early Access statement on Steam - ''We use automatic data collection tools to help us better balance the game but we also listen to forum feedback and use that to drive internal debate.''
Doubt they'll ever make their opinions known on this forum or through patch notes, hold your breath for another Reddit AMA so we can go full force and get conclusive answers to all of our questions.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by S2PHANE

Their Early Access statement on Steam - ''We use automatic data collection tools to help us better balance the game but we also listen to forum feedback and use that to drive internal debate.''
Doubt they'll ever make their opinions known on this forum or through patch notes, hold your breath for another Reddit AMA so we can go full force and get conclusive answers to all of our questions.

Ahh yeah, good call. I do hope they really listen to forum feedback though! I mean, I think they do to an extent at least. They have made some nice changes, and I do truly think the game is way better now than EA release.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm surprised that this isn't a Mega-thread yet. 22 pages and not a Mega-thread.
Generally, megathreads result from many merged threads on the same topic and so become a more general topic discussion than the original. However, this topic is certainly worthy of that status, albeit with a change of title to encourage that more open discussion.

veteran
veteran
Sorry to say but this title doesn't looks good at all.

This thread is not a question.
This thread ask for a better implementation.

Should BG3 adhere more to DD5 rules ?
It should be better if you really want to tone down the purpose of this thread (not sure about the chosen words but you get the idea).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/03/21 07:05 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
A
stranger
stranger
A
I agree with Maximuuus. The question is not how strictly is does adhere to the rules but rather how much it should.

old hand
old hand
Has anyone actually made a list of all the changes made from 5e to larian edition?

IMO they took the bare minimum of what they could from 5e and slapped on whatever they wanted. I remember Sven complaining in the newest youtube vid that spell levels was not the same as character levels and was told that would never change. This is the red flag that Larian would or has changed everything they could or wanted to. From Health, armor, combat mechanics, races, classes, ect.

Last edited by fallenj; 10/03/21 09:28 AM.
More feats like::
Ambidextrous: +1 DEX, allows for dual-wielding with non-light 1 handed weapons
Discretion of Coedymwarth: +1 DEX, grants proficiency with Light Armor, Shortsword, Shortbow and Longbow
Eager for Battle: +1 DEX, grants advantage on initiative rolls
Follow Up Strike: When attacking with a two-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to deal an additional 1d4 + STR bonus damage of the same type
Hauler: +1 STR, now doubles your carrying capacity (rather than increasing it by a flat 40 lbs)
Might of the Iron Legion: Now requires proficiency with Medium Armor
Powerful Cantrip: Now works with every cantrip that deals damage, not only ones with saving throws
Raise Shield: When you are about to get hit by a ranged attack while wielding a shield, you can use your reaction to gain +3 AC until the end of the attacker's turn
Rush to Battle: You can use your bonus action to increase your movement speed by 15', but you suffer -2 AC until the start of your next turn
Sturdiness of the Tundra: +1 CON, grants proficiency with Medium Armor, Warhammer, Light Crossbow and Heavy Crossbow
Take Aim: You can use your bonus action to negate all advantages and disadvantages on your ranged weapon attacks until the end of your turn
Twin Blade: When you are about to get hit by a melee attack while dual-wielding (2 weapons), you can use your reaction to gain +3 AC until the end of the attacker's turn
Uncanny Accuracy: Now works with all ranged attacks (including spells).
Oh wait, wrong games...

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
old hand
old hand
So you're saying you want Larian to homebrew more?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
I am glad it's now a mega thread (feel slightly honoured!), but I agree that the title really could benefit from adding a "should", or pose a similar question. While there is merit in discussing just how much the game adheres to the rules, it's also good to know whether or not people want the game to be closer to the core rules or not.

veteran
veteran
Sadurian, could we have a pin or something on this thread ?
It tooks me 20 minutes to find it (it was a request from a player in another thread that I haven't found yet)

If not, I'll save it in firefox.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/03/21 02:55 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Titles for open discourse are usually a good thing.

Originally Posted by fallenj
Has anyone actually made a list of all the changes made from 5e to larian edition?

Baldur's Gate 3 and PHB
Niara's Spell Thread

Linking this here for ease of reading.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 10/03/21 03:01 PM.
veteran
veteran
no word about exhaustion, reactions etc?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Given that it overlaps so much with the new Megathread discussing how closely BG3 follows D&D5e, I will merge the two. It will look a bit odd to begin with because this thread is older than that one.

Last edited by Sadurian; 10/03/21 03:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
Titles for open discourse are usually a good thing.

Originally Posted by fallenj

Baldur's Gate 3 and PHB
Niara's Spell Thread

Linking this here for ease of reading.

Thanks DragonSnooz

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Given that it overlaps so much with the new Megathread discussing how closely BG3 follows D&D5e, I will merge the two. It will look a bit odd to begin with because this thread is older than that one.

OK cool thanks! =)

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
I couldn’t agree more. And as EA testers it’s impossible to judge whether their “improvements” are necessary or not because we don’t get to try it any other way.

You can just play Solasta and have a perfectly working combat system that is (at least for me) about 10 times more fun than BG.

So yeah, for me, all that tweaking and half baked homebrew messing with the rules is completely unneccessary.

D&D 5e was developed with a lot of playtesting and an amazing humility from the game designers who listened to the community.

Last edited by Thomson; 11/03/21 10:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thomson
I couldn’t agree more. And as EA testers it’s impossible to judge whether their “improvements” are necessary or not because we don’t get to try it any other way.

You can just play Solasta and have a perfectly working combat system that is (at least for me) about 10 times more fun than BG.

So yeah, for me, all that tweaking and half baked homebrew messing with the rules is completely unneccessary.

D&D 5e was developed with a lot of playtesting and an amazing humility from the game designers who listened to the community.

Larian clearly wanted to do "their thing", which is essentially DOS 2. I get it, they have their flair and their style. But the thing is; if they would have just started by implementing things well and true to the core rules, it would have been easier to start tweaking from that position. Actually, many of their stuff could have been made to fit far better even following the 5e rules, to be honest. Now it just feels like they're aimlessly changing things and it's spiralled out of their control. Too much homebrewing and changing a few things here and there until everything kind of ... is a mess.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Thomson

Larian clearly wanted to do "their thing", which is essentially DOS 2. I get it, they have their flair and their style. But the thing is; if they would have just started by implementing things well and true to the core rules, it would have been easier to start tweaking from that position. Actually, many of their stuff could have been made to fit far better even following the 5e rules, to be honest. Now it just feels like they're aimlessly changing things and it's spiralled out of their control. Too much homebrewing and changing a few things here and there until everything kind of ... is a mess.
What surprises me is creative items like oil flasks are native to D&D. There's room for sandbox ideas and creativity, native to the core rule set.

The current homebrew stifles creativity, I don't enjoy the encounter against Minthara at the gate at all. Zevlor literally says they didn't have any better ideas than to bury barrels to ignite. (Instead of doing anything to protect the exposed hill on the horn side of the gate). There are barrels around for the player to toss to keep the fire going. The player is railroaded into a barrel fight. Rather than let the player be creative, the tieflings figured it out for the player. We could have a cool quest to plan how to protect the gate.

The Ogre tosses goblins in barrels and the goblins are protected from collision damage. The Ogre toss should work like the spell catapult, those goblins should be taking 3d8 bludgeoning damage.

The way I've enjoyed this fight is to summon the Ogres from the Blighted Village. They will take out goblins and tieflings, no barrels required. It's just sad that it makes it harder to protect the tieflings.

Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard