Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Honestly that doesn't sound very wise. Since that'd probably annoy folk who like FR lore. Since it is a genuine solution you can pursue.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That is indeed a huge plot-hole. For 200 coins you could just revive everyone and be done with the tadpoles.

Necromancy is just recycling...
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Side note, buying a +1 item (300 coin value) runs you 660 Coins. It seems insane that you can buy 3 Resurrections castings (Each with components running over 200 gold) for the cost of a simple +1 weapon.

Let's fix the problem by eliminating Resurrections entirely, that makes the most sense, and should keep all the Rule monkeys happy.
Die, tadpole comes out, stuck with a corpse.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Killing the three leaders of the goblin tribe also causes tadpoles to spawn near the corpse that try to escape and can be killed easily.

It certainly seems like the obvious solution, although if you complete the Nettie part of the quest your companions seem rather averse to death as a cure. Maybe they don't trust you to resurrect them?

I hope that the full game explains why this is not a viable option.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It's obviously a gameplay vs fidelity decision, because if you don't have these revive scrolls you'd just wallop the reload.

Op is somewhat correct. Gale would be 100npercent cured with true resurrection and killing the tadpole and then casting raise dead would also do it

H
stranger
stranger
H
I registered to the forum to post OP's solution smile I guess i was too slow.
One reason i think it wouldn't work is that there is a connection between the tadpoles so if one of the party member dies - on purpose or otherwise - the tadpole would know not to leave the body as it will be resurrected by the others.
But i really hope this gets addressed clearly.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
The revivify scrolls "don't exist" in game.
They are something put in there for gameplay reasons. Bringing people back from the dead is generally a very costly and difficult thing to do in most Dungeons and Dragons settings.
So while from a gameplay stand point it's an "easy fix" it's not really part of the game setting.

journeyman
journeyman
Technically real death in these types of games happen if a soul moves on. Since these are parasites and also have souls would it not make sense they're a parasite of the soul too? Only when a soul moves on do they 'appear'. Thus a soul that remains to be revived also revives the tadpole

enthusiast
enthusiast
The same reason the Council at Rivendell didn't just get the giant eagles to fly over Mt Doom and drop the ring in that way.

Love and sausages xx
C
stranger
stranger
C
The guy who ressurects people in camp uses the 5th level spell Raise Dead..if you want to see it or have it for yourself, go to the console and add spell "Target_RaiseDead" smile

If I knew how to add an image to this post I would take a picture of my characters list of known spells lol.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0
The same reason the Council at Rivendell didn't just get the giant eagles to fly over Mt Doom and drop the ring in that way.

Because Sauron could disrupt them with arrows and Fellbeasts causing them to drop the ring somewhere in Mordor? Or because the eagles had their own agency and wouldn't be willing to perform such a dangerous mission while Sauron lived?

I'm not sure how either of those would apply.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by LoneSky
OP you mixing story and game mechanics. Dead is real only when the story says so, and then only the story can revive, scrolls won't. It's fine as a funny discussion, but the story decides alone what happens, how and when.

If developers think in this way, then they could easy use some "Deus ex machina" end that is pretty annoying.

Originally Posted by Theliel
Yeah, the way Raise Dead works in D&D is you literally are dead, your soul is in the afterlife, you know who is raising you and can choose to come back or not.

But...we're dealing with Revivify, which has a time limit of 1 minute and is a 3rd level spell instead of a 5th level spell with a time limit of 10 days.

The idea being that the tadpole can wait out the 'minute' or so of story time. You'd need Raise Dead and let them be proper dead for a day. Of course, Raise Dead requires an in-tact body and the worm could destroy the head as a final act of vengeance. Then you'd need Resurrection, a 7th level spell.

Some people also say that Wish spell can be an option.

veteran
veteran
Simple. You can't just die and lose the tadpole because you and your parry are special. It's said multiple times. Your tadpole is different. Notice no other True Souls are running around using the same super powers, and the Absolute REALLY wants you.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Simple. You can't just die and lose the tadpole because you and your parry are special. It's said multiple times. Your tadpole is different. Notice no other True Souls are running around using the same super powers, and the Absolute REALLY wants you.

And how does the Absolute prevent you from killing a companion, chop open his skull, physically removing the tadpole and then bring the body back to live?

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat
Side note, buying a +1 item (300 coin value) runs you 660 Coins. It seems insane that you can buy 3 Resurrections castings (Each with components running over 200 gold) for the cost of a simple +1 weapon.

Let's fix the problem by eliminating Resurrections entirely, that makes the most sense, and should keep all the Rule monkeys happy.
Die, tadpole comes out, stuck with a corpse.

Wish spell turn in a container, open the container and remove the tadpole.

I think that's the default answer, yes. Or if we really want to hand-wave it away, there's this:

The tadpoles allow party members to see through the eyes and link the minds of other party members, right? That's already established. So the tadpoles know in advance whether their host is likely to be resurrected in short order, and they hang around for it. That doesn't happen with other True Souls that don't have the same strong bond of our adventuring party, and the foreknowledge of what will happen after death of the host.

Yeah I know, that's a stretch...

veteran
veteran
They should just get rid of the Scrolls of Revivify completely instead of handing them out like candy. Characters in 5e are really hard to actually kill and I've never needed one.

And enforce that 1 minute rule to Revivify, otherwise it will be a 3rd level Raise Dead.

Plot hole solved as a side effect.

And the mysterious skeleton as a res vendor who has nothing better to do than hang out at your camp is pretty lol. Killed all intrigue about him.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

I think that's the default answer, yes. Or if we really want to hand-wave it away, there's this:

The tadpoles allow party members to see through the eyes and link the minds of other party members, right? That's already established. So the tadpoles know in advance whether their host is likely to be resurrected in short order, and they hang around for it. That doesn't happen with other True Souls that don't have the same strong bond of our adventuring party, and the foreknowledge of what will happen after death of the host.

Yeah I know, that's a stretch...
Still doesn't explain how the tadpole prevents being physically removed after death.
Raise dead can heal head wounds.

Originally Posted by Ixal
[quote=FrumpkisStill doesn't explain how the tadpole prevents being physically removed after death.
Raise dead can heal head wounds.

Oh, that's easy. The tadpoles are telepathically linked among the party, and we know from that one cutscene that they can influence our actions, with that bit about trying to stop the PC from crushing the tadpole. So they just collectively prevent the party from trying to cut out the tadpole from a dead host before resurrection, using mind control.

Still pretty lame, I know, but it closes the plot hole using information already shown in the game, and it's better than "we're special."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard