Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
It is a very good game that could have been much better.

I don't think that CDPR lied about what they *wanted* to produce, but the 2018 reveal clearly did not represent the actual state of the game engine, and many aspects from that reveal were not reflected properly in the released game.

Like most CDPR games the story aspects are strong, but the CP2077 open world doesn't really know or care that you exist. It is beautiful to travel through, but really doesn't allow any interaction.

I think you would probably enjoy the quality of the story-telling, and FP is *probably* the best choice for what they were trying to do with immersing you in-character. If you are reluctant due to being anti-FP, I would recommend waiting until they have finished fixing the game to see how well criticisms have been addressed.
Thanks!

Just to note, I'm not really anti-FP. It's just that I did not get to grow up playing video games, and have never ever played console games, and as such FP feels very limiting and awkward to me and puts me off-balance when played with mouse and keyboard. I feel like I have no idea what's going on in the world around me, that I'm missing seeing things I should be seeing, and often times find myself wildly swinging the camera around in a haphazard or confused manner. I think it is in FP games that I myself would want TB combat despite generally hating it, because I would be completely lost in terms of perspective and orientation with FP in real-time combat.
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Eh, don't go into it with too high expectations would be my advise. I spent the first day playing through the 3 backstories like a madman, telling all my friends what a great game it was, and then i started playing the actual game and got absolutely floored. The story segments and the characters are phenomenal, but the world is as dead as dead can be.
Too bad about the world. But story, quests, characters, and character development are what I ultimately play RPGs for, and everything else in the game is very much seconadary to me, so I imagine I will end up loving the game.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by starlord7
I wish this was made in the style of Pillars of Eternity II but even more refined. Pillars II was so impressive, imagine what a company who actually understands and respects Baldur's Gate would have achieved.

I'm playing Divinity II, got to Arx and I've lost all interest in playing the game. The mechanics is some of the sloppy and exploitable stuff I've ever seen, but Larian seems to think everything is peachy and they importing nearly all those gaming concepts into Baldur's Gate. But what I really can't stand is the slowness of turn-based combat and how every enemy goes through a slow casting animation, it makes combat frankly unbearable.

Larian, while creative and brilliant, seem totally whimsical to me as if they don't even give a $*** what we think. A lot of the game mechanics in Divinity II are so unnecessary and sadistic, Obsidian had a faaar better understanding of paying homage to Baldur's gate and I would have LOVED RTwP... they deserved to make it, it's all so sad the state of the world these days, no offense meant to Larian but why can't they make a Divinity III with faster combat instead, it's like some executive saw that Divinity gets good reviews on metacritic and they gave it to them based solely on that.

Go play Pillars of Eternity 2 again and when you're done go buy all its DLC, then go praise them in their forums, the rest of us love Larian games and we don't lurk around Obsidian forums wishing their games were made by other developers

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thapelo
I wish this was made in the style of Pillars of Eternity II but even more refined. Pillars II was so impressive, imagine what a company who actually understands and respects Baldur's Gate would have achieved.

I'm playing Divinity II, got to Arx and I've lost all interest in playing the game. The mechanics is some of the sloppy and exploitable stuff I've ever seen, but Larian seems to think everything is peachy and they importing nearly all those gaming concepts into Baldur's Gate. But what I really can't stand is the slowness of turn-based combat and how every enemy goes through a slow casting animation, it makes combat frankly unbearable.

Larian, while creative and brilliant, seem totally whimsical to me as if they don't even give a $*** what we think. A lot of the game mechanics in Divinity II are so unnecessary and sadistic, Obsidian had a faaar better understanding of paying homage to Baldur's gate and I would have LOVED RTwP... they deserved to make it, it's all so sad the state of the world these days, no offense meant to Larian but why can't they make a Divinity III with faster combat instead, it's like some executive saw that Divinity gets good reviews on metacritic and they gave it to them based solely on that.

Go play Pillars of Eternity 2 again and when you're done go buy all its DLC, then go praise them in their forums, the rest of us love Larian games and we don't lurk around Obsidian forums wishing their games were made by other developers

Speak for yourself.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Larian doesn’t give a shit on their fans. Even electronic arts does listen more and that says everything.
Therefore it’s pointless to argue if you like the game or not cause no one except the paid Moderators will read it to decide if it needs to be even deleted.

No matter how well you elaborate the problems or how creative solutions you suggest.... larian doesnt even read.

addict
addict
Exactly. These Larian forums are designed for people to vent their frustration or love for Larian. Nothing to do with game development.
I feel really bad for people giving very detailed EA feedback, thinking Larian is taking note.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 12/03/21 07:26 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Exactly. These Larian forums are designed for people to vent their frustration or love for Larian. Nothing to do with game development.
I feel really bad for people giving very detailed EA feedback, thinking Larian is taking note.

I thought Larian claimed that they would be looking at the forums?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj

Speak for yourself.

Are you saying you do lurk around Obsidian's forums wishing their games were made by other developers? :P

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
From what I understand, moderators can pin some topics (I think they choose which topics) in a hidden part of the forum.
I guess devs only read what's there.

Could be cool to have a bit more transparency from devs/mods.

No one enjoy wasting its time.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/03/21 09:09 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
There is no reason to pin this topic.
Fact: BG3 is made by Larian.
Dicussing which company might be better will not result in anything.

I guess some devs read this.
Some stuff has been changed, like cantrips not causing surface anymore.
Many bugs have been fixed and since there is no in game bug report the forums are the best way to post bugs.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Madscientist
There is no reason to pin this topic.
Fact: BG3 is made by Larian.
Dicussing which company might be better will not result in anything.

I guess some devs read this.
Some stuff has been changed, like cantrips not causing surface anymore.
Many bugs have been fixed and since there is no in game bug report the forums are the best way to post bugs.

They're not really talk of about showing the devs this thread.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by fallenj

Speak for yourself.

Are you saying you do lurk around Obsidian's forums wishing their games were made by other developers? :P
Of course! evil

B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

You actually answered yourself. „claiming“ and doing are 2 different things. And often reading and ignoring going hand in hand at larian.

Last edited by Baldurs-Gate-Fan; 12/03/21 05:15 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Yes, because Obsidian did such a good job with Outer worlds and pillars of eternity1&2. /s
Obsidian has been releasing mediocrity last few years.

P.s.

Was Tyranny finished? Last time i played it ended quite abruptly.

Last edited by Necrosian; 12/03/21 05:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Necrosian
Yes, because Obsidian did such a good job with Outer worlds and pillars of eternity1&2. /s
Obsidian has been releasing mediocrity last few years.
If by 'mediocrity' you mean for you personally, that's fine. After all I consider Larian's D:OS games to be mediocre myself.

But from a sales standpoint, both TOW and Grounded have done very well, with TOW sales now well past 2 million.

addict
addict
I would argue that right now Owlcat is doing an incredible job with Pathfinder: Path of the righteous.
Thats how BG3 should of been.
Tons of interesting playable NPCs, 6 party members, huge dialogue trees, lots of classes/kits, good story, even in BEta the UI is fantastic. Turn base modes OR realtime with pause.
Ecclesitheurges, Armigers, Hellnights, oracles, scroll savants, stigmatized witches, zen archers, spirit hunters, slayers, expionage experts, eldritch scoundrel etc etc...

And its Pathfinder! WAY more interesting than even D&D5th. Nothing much in the rules are watered down, you get the complete package. As someone mentioned, DnD has been sanitized beyond recognition. Just reading the description for half-orcs in both DnD and Pathfinder shows you who has the balls in this relationship.

DnD: Human tribes and Orcs form alliances, having marriages between the races, producing half-orcs.
Pathfinder: Half-orcs are rarely the result of loving unions...
Unlike 5e, pathfinder isn't really afraid of showing adult topics.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 12/03/21 10:28 PM.
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
DnD: Human tribes and Orcs form alliances, having marriages between the races, producing half-orcs.

Humans and Orcs are getting married now?

What the heck is DnD turning into?

I stop playing for some years and this is what I come back to.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Thanks!

Just to note, I'm not really anti-FP. It's just that I did not get to grow up playing video games, and have never ever played console games, and as such FP feels very limiting and awkward to me and puts me off-balance when played with mouse and keyboard. I feel like I have no idea what's going on in the world around me, that I'm missing seeing things I should be seeing, and often times find myself wildly swinging the camera around in a haphazard or confused manner. I think it is in FP games that I myself would want TB combat despite generally hating it, because I would be completely lost in terms of perspective and orientation with FP in real-time combat.

OK, I understand, as I am pretty much the same. I have always played games on "proper" computers, as I have always had them available ( I'm a software engineer ) and never can get the knack of controllers due to very large hands.

Early FP shooters like Wolfenstein 3D/Doom were written for mouse/keyboard and worked well, whereas most modern FP games are based on console designs, and only work well if sufficient thought is put in to the control scheme.

In FP, I prefer open world and RPG experiences which tend to be more forgiving in FP than the average shooter, partly because the RPG-style game require less accuracy as your character improves their skills. I will admit that sometimes my character's "career path" is determined by improving the features I can control well, while ignoring those that I suck at.

If you choose to get CP2077, you will likely find combat easier if you act at a distance using hacking and/or in stealth to control the speed of action. Generally you will only have disorientation problems "up close and personal" with blades and bludgeons. Even there the game is quite forgiving - if you are in the general vicinity of an enemy, swinging a blade wildly will usually have the desired result.

Nothing will help when it comes to driving cars/bikes, unfortunately, as there is no way to maintain constant speed, except by accelerating to the vehicle's maximum speed, which does not usually last long without a crash smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

You actually answered yourself. „claiming“ and doing are 2 different things. And often reading and ignoring going hand in hand at larian.

Larian probably use their in-game data gathering ( telling them what players are actually doing ) as the primary source of feedback. They did say that they would READ feedback from various forums, but not that there would be any direct discussion, except for AMA or similar events.

How would they make decisions using this forum anyway? It's a small self-selecting group of players that passionately disagree about almost everything. Changing the base game to suit one group would be an insult to everyone else; the best Larian can really do is attempt to incorporate as many suggestions as possible through formal options, and modding tools, both of which will come nearer release.

N
N
so i largely dont agree with your overall point that WotR has a lot of elements that i wish bg3 had - but idk why you are highlighting this as a selling point? lol like, come on fam

addict
addict
I would argue that right now Owlcat is doing an incredible job with Pathfinder: Path of the righteous.
Thats how BG3 should of been.
Tons of interesting playable NPCs, 6 party members, huge dialogue trees, lots of classes/kits, good story, even in BEta the UI is fantastic. Turn base modes OR realtime with pause.
Ecclesitheurges, Armigers, Hellnights, oracles, scroll savants, stigmatized witches, zen archers, spirit hunters, slayers, expionage experts, eldritch scoundrel etc etc...

And its Pathfinder! WAY more interesting than even D&D5th. Nothing much in the rules are watered down, you get the complete package. As someone mentioned, DnD has been sanitized beyond recognition. Just reading the description for half-orcs in both DnD and Pathfinder shows you who has the balls in this relationship.

Broken companions. Broken companion stats. All male characters are weak, all female characters are strong (and I'm not just talking about personality right now, I'm about stats). It is literally unprofitable for you to take male companions to your party. Female characters ' stats are much better distributed.

At the same time, you can safely miss something, you will not talk to someone once, you will pass by, you will put it off for later and that's it! You can forget about it. That's what I hate about Pathfinder.

Meticulous lvl system.
Not bad, but meticulous.

You can even upgrade your pets. For wut??? I have enough problems with me and my party, without proper knowledge, it is VERY EASY to spoil something. And ofc corruption system... Rly? I'm not saying that Pathfinder is super bad, but it's definitely not a game for everyone, I wouldn't put it as a good example. Have you played it? Or have you just watched a few positive reviews? New players who are unfamiliar with the genre will find it very difficult to play this game. I'm pretty sure they'll just drop it because of the complexity.

You also want "adult themes" when some BG3 players complain about being offered sex by Astarion.

I also understand that this is not a release, and I really hope that they will change characteristics male characters. Now almost all of them are useless.

Last edited by Nyloth; 13/03/21 12:58 AM.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard