Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761512 02/03/21 01:12 AM
fallenj Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My original d&d character was a follower of Selune and eventually a corrupt twisted lady that liked gathering secrets. She's a compulsive liar and tends to manipulate people for the greater good (at least in her eyes). In the orignal campaign I had gotten ahold of Vecna's eye and eventually my party turned on her for the artifact and ultimately died at their hands.

I plan on recreating her for my main character in BG3 when it goes live. The question would be who is the current deity of secrets? Vecna if I remember correctly was imprisioned some where and cant escape.

fallenj #761551 02/03/21 04:24 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fallenj
My original d&d character was a follower of Selune and eventually a corrupt twisted lady that liked gathering secrets. She's a compulsive liar and tends to manipulate people for the greater good (at least in her eyes). In the orignal campaign I had gotten ahold of Vecna's eye and eventually my party turned on her for the artifact and ultimately died at their hands.

I plan on recreating her for my main character in BG3 when it goes live. The question would be who is the current deity of secrets? Vecna if I remember correctly was imprisioned some where and cant escape.

I think that would be Shar or a god called... Liliaan? The god of rogues or something like that? There was a book about him/her in the Tollhouse.

fallenj #761607 02/03/21 12:10 PM
veteran
veteran
I believe you're thinking of Liera, Beebee. The lady of Deceit, Guardian of Liars, Mother of Illusionists, and other such titles.

Not to be confused with Lliira, lady of joy ^.^

fallenj #761612 02/03/21 12:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Yes, Leira is the chiefy god of secrets. She was long believes to be dead but her priesthood remained, insisting she was only in hiding.

Other secrets-adjacent gods could be Mask (deceit, thievery, trickstering), but he's less directly focused on secrets, or many of the other trickery deities off the main pantheon.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
fallenj #761695 02/03/21 05:38 PM
fallenj Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the recommendations, I knew about Shar but was defiantly interested to see if there were more options.

Leira seems like a pretty good pick but I'll keep digging around, I'll check out the deities related to trickery later today for sure.

Been using https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Portal:Deities for most of my info so far.

Last edited by fallenj; 02/03/21 05:38 PM.
fallenj #762542 05/03/21 12:08 AM
journeyman
journeyman
There are several gods in the Trickery domain. Beshaba, Cyric, Leira, Mask, Shar, Tymora, and Waukeen. But only Cyric is the god of lies. Also known as the Prince of Lies.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/appendix-b-gods-of-the-multiverse

fallenj Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by David12183
There are several gods in the Trickery domain. Beshaba, Cyric, Leira, Mask, Shar, Tymora, and Waukeen. But only Cyric is the god of lies. Also known as the Prince of Lies.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/appendix-b-gods-of-the-multiverse

Thanks for the link, helps see all the deities in one place. Funny they didn't separate the lower ones from higher though.

It's pretty much a toss up between Cyric, Leira, and Shar. Cyric which had a big part from what it sounds like in the previous story arc (d&d 4e), presuming will get added, not sure about Leira, if not I'll probably just go with Shar.

fallenj #763433 08/03/21 02:47 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I knew about Shar but was defiantly interested to see if there were more options.

Leira seems like a pretty good pick but I'll keep digging around, I'll check out the deities related to trickery later today for sure.

Been using https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Portal:Deities for most of my info so far.

Since your original patron was Selune, it seems appropriate that your TRUE patron would be Shar. Perhaps Shar tricked you into believing that you really worshipped Selune, hence performing an ultimate manipulation in her eyes. Would be a very interesting internal struggle and would fit the eternal struggle of that pantheon. smile

fallenj Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Vortex138

Since your original patron was Selune, it seems appropriate that your TRUE patron would be Shar. Perhaps Shar tricked you into believing that you really worshipped Selune, hence performing an ultimate manipulation in her eyes. Would be a very interesting internal struggle and would fit the eternal struggle of that pantheon. smile

This is true and generally my first thought since its already in the game for EA. But you can never go wrong with multi-choices, if they decide to add more deities to the game would be interesting. Been listening to Ed Greenwood interviews recently and he talks about how everyone acknowledges the deities and you don't really specifically follow just one. For example if you go sailing you would pray to one deity while if your a farmer you would do another.

Still going through youtube vids for Ed though, could of misinterpreted it.

fallenj #764580 13/03/21 12:52 PM
old hand
old hand
It's more that you acknowledge all gods (and perform "casual" worship of them, like how you said), but often have one deity that you are particularly devoted to because it is a bigger part of your life or you believe in their morals/ambitions/ideology.

Like for example a sailor might be devoted to Valkur, the god of sailors, but no sailor is ever going to risk the wrath of Umberlee by not also sacrificing or praying to the Bitch Queen. And likewise a farmer may primarily worship Chauntea because she holds major sway over his life and livelihood, but he prays to Tyr and Torm to keep him safe from bandits; recites a prayer to or makes a holy sign of Tymora every time he throws dice; tries to appease Talos to keep storms from destroying the harvest or his house; and every year sacrifices to Auril to keep the winter from being long and harsh.

And that's just their actively worshipping actions -- there's also passively faithful stuff like if said farmer lives near the coast but never goes on the waters, but when he seas rage he still thinks stuff like "gods protect all the sailors out there tonight from Umberlee" which are also tokens of worship.

But anyway that's just ordinary people. Clerics of course are even more focused on one particular god, their patron deity, though they of course still would perform minor acts of worshipping other gods when appropriate (like for example as you said, when going on a seabound journey).

Optimistically Apocalyptic
fallenj #764624 13/03/21 05:13 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
[Linked Image from imgur.com]

As seen in the game itself... smile

fallenj Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
It's more that you acknowledge all gods (and perform "casual" worship of them, like how you said), but often have one deity that you are particularly devoted to because it is a bigger part of your life or you believe in their morals/ambitions/ideology.

Like for example a sailor might be devoted to Valkur, the god of sailors, but no sailor is ever going to risk the wrath of Umberlee by not also sacrificing or praying to the Bitch Queen. And likewise a farmer may primarily worship Chauntea because she holds major sway over his life and livelihood, but he prays to Tyr and Torm to keep him safe from bandits; recites a prayer to or makes a holy sign of Tymora every time he throws dice; tries to appease Talos to keep storms from destroying the harvest or his house; and every year sacrifices to Auril to keep the winter from being long and harsh.

And that's just their actively worshipping actions -- there's also passively faithful stuff like if said farmer lives near the coast but never goes on the waters, but when he seas rage he still thinks stuff like "gods protect all the sailors out there tonight from Umberlee" which are also tokens of worship.

But anyway that's just ordinary people. Clerics of course are even more focused on one particular god, their patron deity, though they of course still would perform minor acts of worshipping other gods when appropriate (like for example as you said, when going on a seabound journey).

interesting, so the whole one deity focus is still a thing outside of clerics then. Guess I should of known that.

Originally Posted by Elessaria666
[Linked Image from imgur.com]

As seen in the game itself... smile

Good find Elessaria, thanks for sharing.

Link Copied to Clipboard