Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Do you guys find the game funny? and does that even matter to you?
It really doesn't matter to me. In fact I prefer to not have pointless things added because someone decided something has to be "funny" for no reason. I have found some amusing parts for sure, but my sense of humour is rather dark anyway. smile

Originally Posted by JoB
That said, for the most part, I play the game for the more serious tone. The occasional bit of humor is okay, but I'd have no interest in something that didn't take itself seriously.
This.

addict
addict
It has gotten a chuckle out of me now and again. Particularly on my first playthrough. It is pretty rare for me to audibly laugh at games though, so by my standards BG3's humor has been pretty solid.

My favorite moments:

1. Annoying the crap out of Mattis by making him flip the coin a dozen times.
2. Elbowing Astarion in the face when I caught him trying to snack on me.
3. Finding the bugbear and his lover in the barn.
4. The whole ordeal Gale puts you through the first time he dies.

Plus the general gameplay allows for some pretty funny shenanigans. I admit I did chuckle a bit when I chucked a halfling at his friends.

A
A
Yep. If it's comedy you want from your RPG, play a druid or ranger and talk to the animals. Or just talk to lots of people. Especially goblins. Or listen to the background dialogue while you're trading or inventorying or exploring. Or read the books. There is a metric xxx-ton of humour* in BG3 for anyone who actually pauses to stop, read and listen.

*And no, I don't mean Volo

veteran
veteran
I'm not playing such RPG to laugh. I'm playing to experience / live an epic journey in the FR like I would reading a fantasy book.

BG3's sense of humor does not make me laugh at all and often break my immersion in the story with all these "funny / silly" things.

Of course a bit humor like in the old games is very good but the tone is really not the same. Larian's sense of humor only rely on WTF/SILLY things.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
C
C
The writing is definitely not good enough for humour to be there beyond physical/crude humour right now.

Actually likeable companions might be a start :O

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not playing such RPG to laugh. I'm playing to experience / live an epic journey in the FR like I would reading a fantasy book.

BG3's sense of humor does not make me laugh at all and often break my immersion in the story with all these "funny / silly" things.

Of course a bit humor like in the old games is very good but the tone is really not the same. Larian's sense of humor only rely on WTF/SILLY things.

I differ from this view somewhat. I like a range of emotions, but of course vastly prefer the feel of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings to Monty Phyton and the Holy Grail when it comes to roleplaying. I consider comedic elements in the story and in persistent gameplay separate from one another though. The former is more subtle and requires clever writing (superior to any of the original game I might add). The second is pure slapstick physical comedy, and not only silly, but obtrusively so in the way it's been made core mechanisms of gameplay which in turn affect balancing.

The talking heads in D:OS2 was a moment of hilarity that in a way combines both and made me laugh out loud. One of the highlights of any game in two decades of (casual) gaming.

Last edited by Seraphael; 06/03/21 09:17 AM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
I laughed once the other day, when in Guts chambers I found some flooring you can shoot out. I did, didn't realise I was standing on it, and fell down. That wasn't so funny, but as my character got up, and I was looking around trying to figure out where I am, I hear a "aaaAAAAAAA-UGH" *THUMP* and Wyll, the idiot, had jumped into the hole after me.

addict
addict
I had to laugh when I saw the label "talkative skeleton" .
Volo's failed praise in the Goblin camp was funny also.
Yea, in general I like the bits of humor.

stranger
stranger
I have definitely laughed in the time I've played the game and I find Astarion to be quite entertaining.

While humour isn't necessary for me to enjoy a game, I find that its presence enhances how much I enjoy a game.

Last edited by Aesir23; 09/03/21 08:04 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Volo, Astarion and Abidraak come to the mind, when I'm thinking about the funny characters in BG3.
They made me laugh a few times.

Yes, I do like this game's humor. Off the top of my head, the scenes I found funny were
- Mattis and the coin flip
- Teethlings
- Astarion and the mirror
- The windmill
- "It got a beak, don't it?" pretty much the entire chicken chasing sequence
- The bad fanfiction at the Druid Grove "If I have to read the name Balsin one more time..."
- Volo at the goblin camp, in an annoying sort of funny way.
- 20% of what Astarion says. He's an excellent comic relief. Some standouts include "You can talk to animals!"
- Some of the ways you can roast Gale and Wyll are pretty humorous.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
veteran
veteran
I did chuckle, but not at game's humor, but at awkward and buggy cutscenes. Generally, Larian humor makes me cringe or roll my eyes, or unsure if it is intended to be funny or not, and that's one of the reasons I got along with BG3 better then with O:OSs.

Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
The humor in the game hasn't made me laugh. It's mostly been a contrast to the seriousness of the illithid plotline. It's hard to get out of the zone that we're invested in a serious plot.

Especially with Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, and Astarion being serious most of the time.

It's not important for this game to make me laugh, but I'm hopeful when the good characters are introduced they'll lighten the narrative. Then the humor can shine in Baldur's Gate 3.

Yea, we need a good, drunk, wise cracking, thinking he's gods' gift to women, but he's not, BARD. I think that would be hilarious! Not even a companion, just one you meet up with periodically. :P

The one that got me last night, was from Astarion, "I'm so tired... How do people do this all the time?" Something like that. The whiny tone is what got me. :P

journeyman
journeyman
I actually did laugh the other night at some of Astarion's responses during the dialogue about the best way to be killed. I'm not sure if that's new (I've only played on Patch 3 previously) or if I just missed it the first time, but it surprised a laugh out of me.

I appreciate games that don't take themselves completely seriously. A bit of ridiculous humour here and there can be fun, and I always appreciate characters with a sharp wit.

However, the thing that makes me smile the most in BG3 is seeing the dog wander by in the background, happily wagging his tail, when I'm in the middle of a serious conversation with a party member. Thank you for that, Larian. Even when the world seems like it's about to end, I still have my dog.

B
Banned
Banned
B
I laughed a lot in bg3. Although not very positively. I laughed at the cheese homebrew combat system that they call DnD. But after enough super Mario jumping encounters with grenade throwing goblins and other weird stuff it gets to the point where laughing is replaced by sadness.

So larian really delivers a full spectrum of emotions.
Going from wow how beautiful, to man that sounds awesome, to wtf?, to lol how ridiculous, to omg not another fight please.

M
stranger
stranger
M
No...i scream and yell that they are 95% accurate and my guys work on about 38% success...They do mondo damage and I do low to middle...my healing potions at 2d4+2 give ne 4-6 on the average...So no there is no laughing only despair and agony. There is hardly any sound for communication and no matter what I do in settings even conversations set at 100% I don't hear anything but garble. No laughing here sorry.

stranger
stranger
In general: yes wink.

Because of BG3?: Also yes wink.

I personally enjoy Larians writing style. Shadowheart for example is someone who makes me smile, because I am a sucker for ironic and sarcastic humor.

One of my fav moments is at the goblin camp. If you speak to the worgs after covering yourself in sh*t... Always makes me laugh.

Last edited by SarwenUndomiel; 14/03/21 09:07 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Oh yeah, speaking of the goblin camp, remember that silly goblin who goes "tribe?"

That made me laugh.

Last edited by agouzov; 14/03/21 08:52 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by agouzov
"tribe?"

Tribe.

I think that the "It's terrible. I hate it." Is one of the most well-timed comedic scenes I've seen.The build-up, anticipation, and punchline are delivered with just the right delay.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard