Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
I'm sure many here have at least dabbled with tabletop roleplay, I was wondering, do you recall your first character? If you are still playing, what character are you playing now?

For those who never played table top or don't right now, how about your first custom RPG character from any medium, like video games? And maybe what you intend to play in BG3?

EDIT: also any memorable characters or stories you remember.

I'll start and this will definitely date me:

My first ever character was a Halfling. Just a halfling because basic D&D didn't give demi-humans classes. I ended up with halfling because all his scores were so low, I had to choose either Thief or Halfling. I picked halfling because I liked hobbits. I don't remember the name but he managed to survive till level 3 in the legendary Keep of the Borderlands module. He didn't die but my little group decided to move on to AD&D so I rolled up a new character.

My current is Kelian the half-elf eldritch knight. Hailing from the far lands of Aglarond, Kelian has traveled to the west to seek his fortune. He will also make an appearance in BG3 as my main character.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 22/02/21 03:32 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
My first character that I played continuously (when I first started playing D&D as a kid in summer camp we rarely kept our characters for more than 3 to 5 sessions) was for the unauthorized D&D (prior to AD&D) supplement Warlock, which used slightly a different class system. He was a Human multiclass Fighter / Mage named Johann who used fire magic and had a berserker vorpal great sword. I have remade this character in every D&D game I’ve ever played, including BG3.

My current character is a 4 Arcane Trickster Rogue / 6 Shadow Monk Half-Drow named Pavel. Pavel goes by the moniker Shadow because being a professional assassin is more about marketing than killing and having a flashy name impresses potential clients. He speaks with an outrageous cartoon Russian accent and is a generally friendly and decent fellow for a hired killer.

He is the twin brother of my previous character in the campaign, a Warlock / Paladin named Pyotr / Shade who didn’t know he was a warlock and was lawful evil but thought himself a righteous but misunderstood hero. Pyotr was killed by a flock of 60 demonic underwater chickens while trying to chase down and murder merman-Channing Tatum. Subsequent, the rest of the party think Pavel is either Pyotr playing a trick or his ghost or a zombie.

Last edited by Warlocke; 22/02/21 04:35 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
It has been decades since I last played tabletop D&D but one way or another I always seem to play an Elven Wizard. My most memorable character was a Grey (High) Elf Wizard and that is what I usually end up playing in any computer version of D&D.

old hand
old hand
First d&d character would be a very modified Kobold rogue detective, I named the race Silver Kobold. 3.5 you could modify attributes in some way using the Monster Manual if I remember correctly.

He was overly broken and no one thought about checking my toon out until the game was almost over.

S
addict
addict
S
My first was a really poorly built out Rogue (Human). I was next to useless at anything but locks. lol

My latest was a Paladin, Oath of Conquest. Just the perfect encapsulation of arrogance, and self righteousness.

My Favorite, was a Tiefling, Paladin. This was back when Tiefling had a -2 Cha modifier. laugh

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
I'm sure many here have at least dabbled with tabletop roleplay, I was wondering, do you recall your first character? If you are still playing, what character are you playing now?

For those who never played table top or don't right now, how about your first custom RPG character from any medium, like video games? And maybe what you intend to play in BG3?

I'll start and this will definitely date me:

My first ever character was a Halfling. Just a halfling because basic D&D didn't give demi-humans classes. I ended up with halfling because all his scores were so low, I had to choose either Thief or Halfling. I picked halfling because I liked hobbits. I don't remember the name but he managed to survive till level 3 in the legendary Keep of the Borderlands module. He didn't die but my little group decided to move on to AD&D so I rolled up a new character.

My current is Kelian the half-elf eldritch knight. Hailing from the far lands of Aglarond, Kelian has traveled to the west to seek his fortune. He will also make an appearance in BG3 as my main character.

My first characters were actually human twins. A sister, who was a chaotic/neutral wizard and her brother who was a good warrior (of course this was during my Dragonlance obsession days). I had an awesome backstory for them I can even remember today. I really miss the days sometimes of rolling new character sheets and coming up with their backstories. I had a great DM too, a good friend of mine. We had a continuing campaign and then short, 1 night free play with alternate characters where we could do short adventures that were not connected to our main campaign. If your main campaign character died, he would work it in the main campaign to bring in your alternate.

S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
I'm seeing a lot of pretty interesting first characters. I'm also enjoying all the little added information people are providing.

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
My first characters were actually human twins. A sister, who was a chaotic/neutral wizard and her brother who was a good warrior (of course this was during my Dragonlance obsession days). I had an awesome backstory for them I can even remember today. I really miss the days sometimes of rolling new character sheets and coming up with their backstories. I had a great DM too, a good friend of mine. We had a continuing campaign and then short, 1 night free play with alternate characters where we could do short adventures that were not connected to our main campaign. If your main campaign character died, he would work it in the main campaign to bring in your alternate.

There were some days where all our group did is role up characters. We'd try to collaborate and weave their stories together so there was a reason why they banded together other than the stereotypical meeting in a tavern. The most bizarre groupings had an elf wizard, half-orc samurai, half-giant fighter, human cavalier...yeah, I don't think we really tried to tie them together. They just met and decided to kill stuff. I still scratch my head wondering how these four would have met up...

veteran
veteran
My first character was in D&D, an elven rogue named Kiara.

At the moment, we are playing mostly Call of Cthulhu and one of my current characters is Maximilian zu York, an explorer with a dark twist (he is a serial killer in the making). The other character is Alayne McKenzie, a bookseller from Scotland. Both campaigns are in the 1920th, Max is situated in Arkham currently, Alayne is in Canada.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
Pretty sure my first ever was an elf Wizard. We were playing with an old ruleset, forgot which one, and probably had only two games in the week I was at this camp.
Played a bit with VtM (Brujah, Gangrel and Tremere) none of these games lasted long at all. Did more LARP with this world (one as Brujah, the other as Follower of Set) than tabletop. Probably did more character creation for friends than actually playing.

Current DnD is for the main game a Half Drow Arcane Trickster (CN) and another with a Tiefling Eldritch Knight (NE) Only played him once so far though.

For BG I will most likely play similar characters to these but also add Hunter Ranger, Warlock (GOO) and Necromancy Wizard. The EK will probably become a Battlemaster with the current system. I have really bad altitis, so probably one of every class somehow except Bard and Paladin unless they add Conquest. smile

veteran
veteran
1st edition grey elf fighter / magic user. Freyaen (I was 10). Completely OP. Carried blackrazor and a frost brand, rode a griffon. After that a human thief who was killed in the tomb or horrors and Lexoral (I was 13) my human wizard -- killed Baba Yaga and retired as demigod. And then it's half elf wizards up until 3.5 with a few disposable tournament-only clerics.

S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
1st edition grey elf fighter / magic user. Freyaen (I was 10). Completely OP. Carried blackrazor and a frost brand, rode a griffon. After that a human thief who was killed in the tomb or horrors and Lexoral (I was 13) my human wizard -- killed Baba Yaga and retired as demigod. And then it's half elf wizards up until 3.5 with a few disposable tournament-only clerics.

You know old curmudgeons like me would probably not play what I played back when I was a kid but man those adventures were fun. Completely OP and broken but fun.

Deities and Demigods wasn’t a reference book. It was a hit list. grin

Last edited by spectralhunter; 22/02/21 03:33 PM.
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Zarna
For BG I will most likely play similar characters to these but also add Hunter Ranger, Warlock (GOO) and Necromancy Wizard. The EK will probably become a Battlemaster with the current system. I have really bad altitis, so probably one of every class somehow except Bard and Paladin unless they add Conquest. smile

I think lots of people are waiting for paladin which makes sense as paladin is one of the better well thought out class in 5e.

I’ll probably role a ranger too. I’ve always liked the class due to Aragorn (ranger was originally based on him, not that drow dual wielder!). In BG2 I loved the ranger/cleric.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Deities and Demigods wasn’t a reference book. It was a hit list. grin

Precisely smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
In spite of playing video games on and off since the 1970s I was a real latecomer to RPGs: not sure why our paths never crossed but it didn't happen until after Oblivion's release after years of playing mostly unsatisfying shooters. Perhaps Oblivion isn't exactly the most legendary game (though I still maintain it's pretty decent with enough mods!) but it was a start, and I've used my eponymous character in pretty much everything else since. She's usually human, occasionally elf, typically a somewhat non-committal mixture of half-arsed skills, good-aligned, lawful-chaotic spectrum depends on how hungover she is.

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
My first AD&D character was in 1980 and was a cleric. LG (because that's what clerics were then - we didn't know any better) 13 WIS and with 1hp. I was underwhelmed by the character and game being run, but the RPG bug had well and truly bitten me.

A
veteran
veteran
A
My very first one was that Alrik Fassbauer from DSA (English : TDE) RPG system. Unfortunately his original heets are lost now.
He was what one would call a "scoundrel" or "rogue", and mutated during the course of a longer story written by members of this forum into some kind of ranger.

Larian Studios had the nice tradition to name in-game NPCs after forum members, thus there is the Alrik Fassbauer in some early Divinity games of Larian. wink Inclusive Ego Draconis, as far as i know.
This is also true for several other NPCs in the early Divinity games.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
I forgot two of my favorite characters from Vampire the Masquerade:
- Hanna P. Lovecraft, a Malkavian. She has visions and delusions. The problem is, she doesn't know, what is what. She plays the violin in a folk rock band and is currently with a group of two Nosferatu (one of them her best friend), a Toreador and a Brujah in Chicago, where they tried to stop a coup. She is very adventurous and well spoken and the group normally send her to talk to other vampires, because she knows a lot about vampire etiquette. She and her master crossed path with the infamous Sascha Vykos and both live to tell the tale. This was because they were able to help each other and formed a short alliance. Since neitehr she nor her master belong to any sect officially, people often com to them for help. Both are good in detective work.

- Aladar: a Tzimisce noble from Hungary. He was put to topor by an enemy in the 19th century and brought just back mid 20th century. He is very old fashioned, very polite and etiquette is important to him. But as a higher ranking Sabbat, he is also cruel and has no problem in experimenting on his enemies (Tzimisce have a flesh forming ability, for those, who are not familiar with the World of Darkness). He made himself a ghoul (a human, who is feed vampire blood - they become imortal as long as they keep drinking that blood, are loyal to the blood donor and gain a few extra abilities), who keeps him connected to the modern world and helps him with technical stuff. Thanks to that ghoul he knows how to use a computer , but managed to still get a virus once or twice by opening suspicious emails. Aladar is currently the leader of a Sabbat pack and is trying to get back to his old power.

Doctor Who
A
veteran
veteran
A
For DDO, I have made a cleric, the deity is Aumaunator, with the name of Amauna (female), which has a special name :

In the sister setting/system to TDE, it is called Myranor / Güldenland, there is a feline race called Amaunir. I found this name fitting, and used it for that Amaunator cleric.

In SWTOR, my second character I made is a Twi'lek who has a backstory of his own : His name is Wrw Iquanauq, and that name came from his parents, who have raised him. His parents are Ithorians, and his first name is rather a raspling sound, not unlike the one snails do when they are eating.

The name "Wrw" came actually from an ithorian land worker I had once created for a real life pen & papoer role-playing session, we were using the system by WEG. His name was Wrw Dungon. wink
The name Iquanauq is the second name of another Ithorian, his name was Lando Iquanauq (his parents had once heard the name "Lando" and found it so extraordinary that they decided to give their kid that name), and he was the protagonist of a fan fiction story I had written in the 90s ( ! ), it was about a group of adventurers invading the rather deserted Jabba's Palce in search / hunt for his riches ... I had to rewrite the story several times, because when i had begun it, I didn't know of the work the people from WEG (West End Games) had already done for creating a background for the Star wars universe ... I had to rewrite and give my protagonist an entirely new culture, the one created by WEG, although I had created my own before that. Those were the times !
I gave it up, unfinished, because I had to rewrite it too often, after more and more Star wars novels surfaced.

One character from that kind of lives on in an entirely different space : One day, I had visited a book signing session of the two authors of the Young Jedi Knights" series. I told them of another of my characters from my fan fiction story : Her name was Nola or Noola, and she was a sister of the dancer Oola from the ROTJ movie.
That character kind of resurfaced in one late Young Jedi Knights novel written by them, complete by name, and race, and being a sister of Oola.

I had something like that happening to me later as well. Within the fan fiction section of TheForce.Net, I once wrote a story as part of a "story challenge", and it used a unique writing technique : Incorporating automated news messages.
At that time i had read rumors of a few authors lurking around in these forums as well.
One of them was the later ROTS novel author, who had taken exactly my special writing technique into his ROTS novel !
I can prove that I had written my story BEFORE the release of the ROTS novel, so I can say that he took it from me, not vice versa.
I have begun rewriting that stoy to have rather a fantasy setting style ( MY fantasy seting ! ), but it is very difficult, and is currently in pause mode now.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
And another character, I really loved to play: Emilia Watson, a companion /archaelogist in the Firefly roleplaying game.
She inherited a ship from an old lady, she helped out and hired a crew. WIth that crew, she did set out to do a bit of adventuring, since she wasn't really keen on doing the companion job any more and teh archaeologist job wasn't paying enough.
It turned out, that the old lady had depts - to no otehr than Adelaid Niska (if you watched she show, you know, that this is bad) and it seems that Niska is of the opinion, the ship crew inherited those debths along with the ship, so now they have to find a way to get out of it.

And in Star Wars I play a twilek rogue named Lia Asari. She is part of a ship crew, who was out for adventuring, when they crossed the Imperium, so they joined the rebels. The whole feel of that game is a bit like Firefly too - it really is a lot of fun.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I recently have started playing D&D 5e in two groups. In one of them I play a bard halfelf named Liya Tana. She is very adventorous and takes her music very seriously. She inherited a haunted house.

In the other group, I play a tiefling warlock (hexblade)/sorceress (clockwork sorceress) - I rolled really well for her, so her stats are the best, I have ever rolled for any character. We only played once, so there is not much to tell yet.

Doctor Who

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard