Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
There needs to be a separate items and spells box(es). That's the first and most obviously thing. Allow the mouse wheel to scroll between them. One of the absolute worst things about the game is the clutter of your actual abilities tab after you loot some corpses. Now I have acid arrows, scrolls, food, potions. Then when I cast, say, hex I have to now scroll around to find where to recast it. It is a huge mess.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ah. The UI. Yes. That's a whole other issue. It is a bit clunky. Hopefully they will fix it too.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I am 10000% for a quick-sell option.

stranger
stranger
The most important thing for the inventory management right now, I feel is to add a "mark several items" tickbox function. I just found the trader in the Underdark, went to camp and collected the hundreds of items I had in stash, then selling and re-sending remaining items to camp was a bit horrible, hadn't I loved the game so much, I think I would've given up ^^ To right-click and "Send item to camp" like a hundred times isn't the most fun I've had in gaming ^^

Maybe you could find a trader that comes and lives in your camp (like Sandal and what's his name in Dragon Age), and maybe you could fast-sell items for a low price directly to them from inventory, like a stolen goods thing? Or maybe they're already meaning to add a trader like this in the final game. And maybe someone else brought this up, haven't read through all the comments smile

Keep up the good work, you beautiful Belgians! <3

Last edited by PutinWithAnimals; 16/03/21 07:10 PM.
stranger
stranger
I would have to say that the crafting in D:OS is my biggest love about that game, I think about 80% of my game time in D:OS 1 is spent crafting, selling, maximizing things, waiting for new stuff to come to the merchants, crafting arrows and selling for profit, smithing and sharpening weapons to make them more valuable ^^ I'm a compulsive hoarder and maximizer, think I've played 500+ hours of D:OS 1, and never been close to finishing it ^^ Although crafting may feel less important in BG3, I think it would be a loss not to have a great crafting system implemented in this games as well. Don't know how many hours I've spent crafting in Fallout 4/76. Cheers!

stranger
stranger
I'm a compulsive hoarder, and I think that loot-hoarding is an integral part of any RPG, although I feel there are far too many empty containers in BG3 at the moment. And maybe a bit too many plates/mugs etc that you can pick up, I know that you don't have to do it, but my OCD brain tells me I have to clear out ANYTHING that can be interacted with ^^ Maybe this is just a ME thing and my problems ^^ But in D:OS, I never quite felt this was a negative thing, but in this BG3 EA, I feel opening containers/picking up stuff bothers me.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Ankou
There needs to be a separate items and spells box(es). That's the first and most obviously thing. Allow the mouse wheel to scroll between them. One of the absolute worst things about the game is the clutter of your actual abilities tab after you loot some corpses. Now I have acid arrows, scrolls, food, potions. Then when I cast, say, hex I have to now scroll around to find where to recast it. It is a huge mess.

But you can choose in Options which things are automatically added to the hotbars? If that's what you mean.

By the way, are the hotkeys for cycling through the hotbars broken atm?

Last edited by PutinWithAnimals; 16/03/21 07:26 PM.
stranger
stranger
"3) Dramatically reduce the amount of consumables available in the game. The desire for this stems more from class balance issues than inventory management, but getting rid of this stuff would certainly help the latter. I'm fine with having a few consumables, but make them rare and precious."

I think eating food for healing is ridiculous in any game, like in Skyrim, but although I was initially turned off by it in BG3, it's kinda fun to have all those different meats to try out during combat :p It may add some extra gameplay, even if the idea is ridiculous.

Last edited by PutinWithAnimals; 16/03/21 07:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian still coding for the 80's when you don't have a basic "select all/transfer all/send all to camp" button for inventory management. It's not just about Diversity, it's also about being efficient Larian.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 16/03/21 07:29 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My latest suggestion is to implement a new Inventory Tab setup. Weapons and Armor is one tab, then Potions and Magic Items (like magic rings, cloaks, necklaces, etc.), Key Items (story items), then Books, Keys and Tomes, then Food and Drinks, then Wares (like knives, forks, spoons, plates), then Miscellaneous and then an All Items tab.

When you pick stuff up, because I'm also kind of OCD in games where I feel I have to pick up everything by nature, items are automatically put into these categories. This is kinda what they already do. However, what I'm suggesting is that each category has a Drop All button and a Sell All button. When not at a merchant, the Drop All button allows you to drop everything in that category unless that item has been placed in a backpack or something similar. Items in packs can never be just all dropped or all sold so that you give backpacks a special organizational purpose. Want to keep 10 apples and dump the rest of your food items? Put the 10 apples in a bag and then hit Drop All on the Food and Drinks tab.

Same with Sell All. That way, if I want to carry a bunch of useless junk on me and sell it all, I can just go to the merchant, open up the Wares tab and Sell All. Done.

Add to this a Multi-Select feature, and you are golden on inventory management.

I still think weights should be set to true D&D 5e weights, though. A suit of Ring Mail should weigh 40 lbs. A character should only be able to carry up to 5 times their Strength score before becoming encumbered (-10 feet to movement per round). This should include the equipment you have equipped. So if I only have a Strength of 10 and I'm wearing Ring Mail, I should only be able to carry 10 more lbs of equipment before I'm encumbered. I shouldn't be able to carry 3 suits of Ring Male plus wear plated armor and still not suffer any consequences. I certain shouldn't be able to carry around and throw a 30 lb barrel of water if I only have Strength 10. Limits make the game more fun and make some things more special than others. If my character with Strength 10 can pick up and throw things that a character with Strength 18 can pick up and throw, and can carry roughly just as much on them, then my Strength 18 character isn't as special.

I will admit, though, that my idea about limiting slots may be a bit unfriendly. I tested it out, and it does get a bit clunky and frustrating. You have to constantly switch characters when picking stuff up because your main's slots quickly fill up. Limiting slots, thus, makes it more boring instead of simpler. So I say fix the issue with correcting weight values and carrying capacity, just like standard D&D 5e rules. Corrected weight limits and carrying capacity fixes the issue of people carrying too much anyway without limiting slot space and thus making it so players have to constantly switch characters when picking stuff up.

Oh! And we REALLY need an Auto-Search feature so I don't have to play a Hidden Objects game in every pixel of the game in order to find all the cool stuff. Set difficulty rolls for Perception. Whenever a character comes near ANY item that is a weapon, armor, magic item, potion, key item, books, keys, tomes, etc. the game secretly rolls for the characters. If the character succeeds, the item appears and is highlighted so the player can see where the good item is amidst all the useless junk in the room. I don't mind if you keep all the useless junk around for all the hoarders out there. Just make it easier and quicker for players to find cool treasure if you do keep all the junk. I've played almost 300 hours now, and I'm still stumbling upon things I didn't find in previous playthroughs and I'm STILL having to waste a ton of time searching every pixel of the game to find everything, and I'm STILL missing stuff. It's very tiresome. I didn't really enjoy this kind of searching in my first playthrough, and the more I'm playing the game the less I like it. Even if you just make that a setting of some kind in the Options menu that players can turn on and off, give me something to make the game more fun and less tedious.

I played through recently with a Druid and just ran through picking up obvious items along the way. What I found is that it was a much more fun and exciting paced game. Since I mostly know, now, where everything good is, I can zip through and pick stuff up that's important and move on without searching all the containers. The pace is MUCH better, and guess what? You still get about the same amount of gold at the merchants by selling only the important items as you do if you hoard everything and sell tons of useless junk that you spent hours micromanaging.

I'm just saying. The game is more fun when you aren't strapped down with picking up, sorting, resorting, redistributing, resorting again, etc. all the hundreds of items you pick up and then selling them 1 item at a time at a vendor. So give me something in the game to just find the good stuff and make it so I can shed all the useless crap easily so I can just enjoy the story and not have to be an inventory manager as a full-time job. lol smile

Last edited by GM4Him; 16/03/21 09:13 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard