Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#765458 17/03/21 07:01 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The Redcaps are just killer for a xp limited party. With their ironboot attack, and 3 melee attacks, the number appearing is absolutely brutal for a party of lvl 4's

addict
addict
Well it's still doable at level 7 or 8, and It is a bit ridiculous for level 4.

We're mostly testing things out in Early Access for Larian, so I'm hopeful these encounters are meant for later. But who knows for sure.

addict
addict
It's doable with surprise, grease and hide cheese. Actually any fight in this game can be cheesed.

Or you can FISH in Auntie Ethel's Teahouse. Misty Step helps get to the higher levels, and I had some luck with Astarion hiding behind the doors with a backstab.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have beaten it before, in the Tea house when they come more or less one at a time, but I was feeling my oats and decided to hit them in sheep form before the hags house. Severe ass-kicking ensured frown

addict
addict
I was mainly referring to exp tables when I said it was more doable at level 7 or 8. I usually posture to have the redcaps chase through rough terrain, and you get a few free rounds on them.

I'm burnt out on cheese at the moment xD

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah I try and stay away from extraneous cheese wink

veteran
veteran
It's doable without surprise, grease, and hide cheese. Difficult, but doable.
I'll put a -1 for needing to be changed, especially if the exp cap is removed and parties can reach level 5.

My first time facing them, I approached from Ethel's teahouse when they aggro'd on to me, which is I assume the default way of encountering them..? Because of the swamp, they each took a full round to reach my characters which definitely helped.
I'm perfectly fine with them obliterating your party if you hit them in sheep form while right next to them. Not all encounters need to be beatable in all situations. Especially in a video game where you can reload if you fail.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yep, did that on my last playthrough - if you know what to expect, it's ok. I waited until they had some distance between them, attacked them first, and then forced them to waste turns getting to me, and...as always... occupied the high ground. I took out the blood sage first. I didn't even need to do anything very cheesy - but I was on full strength and knew exactly what to expect. I think if your party was surprised by all of them, and they got attacks in first, things would not go well...That is what bothers me, a lot of encounters are winnable because it is easy to sneak about (or in this case just walk about) and get to attack first, fairly consistently.

R
old hand
old hand
R
The fight is not too difficult even on the 3rd level.
First kill the leader, others are quite easy to kill.

addict
addict
Just for a frame of reference for the original post, you can recreate the encounter in D&D Beyond. Encounter Builder

4 redcaps is a normal encounter for a level 9 party of 4.
  • the encounter is deadly for levels 4-6
  • It goes down to hard for levels 7 & 8
  • The encounter is normal for level 9

veteran
veteran
It's not even completely necessary to know what to expect and do any prep. It's doable without foreknowledge, although still pretty difficult.

PCs are more powerful than basically what encounter builders say, typically. I've found that a "deadly" encounter is typically only deadly in cases of really bad luck or if the party has already used a significant amount of their daily resources.

With consumables, backstab/highground, and/or the ease of resting in BG3, I'd up any party's effective level by ~2-4 for any official 5e encounter builder.

addict
addict
First and only time I tried to kill them was with Druid/Gale/SHart/Wyll at level 3, but recently rested.

I wouldn't say it was easy because Wyll spent the entire fight on the floor dying, but I did kill them without any cheese, although I needed to use every spell and class feature available, and everyone was battered by the end. Druid changing to a spider was particularly helpful.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Only if you cripple yourself to play as closely as possible to D&D, same goes with the other sponges ( Giant Spider, Minotaurs, etc... )

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
With consumables, backstab/highground, and/or the ease of resting in BG3, I'd up any party's effective level by ~2-4 for any official 5e encounter builder.
Good point MrFuji.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Only if you cripple yourself to play as closely as possible to D&D, same goes with the other sponges ( Giant Spider, Minotaurs, etc... )

Nah, getting near redcaps to backstab is a bad idea, and I encountered them with no high ground near. Don't care about the cheese, one way or the other; don't look for it, don't avoid it; just play the game as it's designed. On this particular occasion, I didn't use any.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I have read a few posts that this game is too hard etc. I did not find that true at all. I played through blind the first time and dont think anyone had died. Before I even knew the fights. I was thinking it a bit easy.

Also, using grease spells or fog or fire or high ground or back stabbing is not "cheese" they are core game mechanics.

I think maybe a lot of players are new to this type of game and have not figured out how to play yet.

did you know food is as good as a healing potion? and only take a bonus action? Yeah you can attack AND heal, every turn? How are you dying?

The Red CAPS are easy cause you are given a turn or two to prepare for their attack and they don't all attack at once.

If you are having issues with difficulty I suggest looking at some of the videos and see how people are playing and getting ideas.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tabuk
I have read a few posts that this game is too hard etc. I did not find that true at all. I played through blind the first time and dont think anyone had died. Before I even knew the fights. I was thinking it a bit easy.

Also, using grease spells or fog or fire or high ground or back stabbing is not "cheese" they are core game mechanics.

I think maybe a lot of players are new to this type of game and have not figured out how to play yet.

did you know food is as good as a healing potion? and only take a bonus action? Yeah you can attack AND heal, every turn? How are you dying?

The Red CAPS are easy cause you are given a turn or two to prepare for their attack and they don't all attack at once.

If you are having issues with difficulty I suggest looking at some of the videos and see how people are playing and getting ideas.

Them's fightin' words, stranger... smile

W
veteran
veteran
W
I had no idea this was considered a hard fight. I’m not trying to brag, but I’ve never had a problem with it using a level 3 party. I don’t use any stragedies and barely any spells. I just put one tank out front and have everybody else range. The red caps are spread out enough that you can take them down easy a they approach. I guess if you started the fight in the middle of them that would be a problem, but otherwise I don’t see what is so difficult.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
It's not even completely necessary to know what to expect and do any prep. It's doable without foreknowledge, although still pretty difficult.

PCs are more powerful than basically what encounter builders say, typically. I've found that a "deadly" encounter is typically only deadly in cases of really bad luck or if the party has already used a significant amount of their daily resources.

The PCs aren't "more powerful" per se, but the ability to jump huge distances, push as a free action, disengage with zero risk, light swords on fire with candles, use scrolls from any school of magic with any class, backstab as any class, hide in plain sight as any class, and carry multiple full sized barrels of oil around, have definitely screwed up any semblance of balance when it comes to trying to figure out what is an adequate challenge rating in this game.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard