Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
veteran
veteran
Did modding resume after the latest patch? or something else coming?

S
addict
addict
S
Can anyone tell me where objects are defined? I'm looking for barrels specifically.

I've found spells and items properties.

S
addict
addict
S
I believe I found it.

UnpackedData\Shared\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data\Spell_Projectile.txt

The explosion for barrel's, is a spell projectile it seems.

I'm actually hoping that the next patch will undue the damage I've done to my game file trying to install some of the mods on the market. It seems I have some loose .pak files somewhere. I kept getting slammed into the skybox with 4 motionless humans (three of them bald, identical twins). I tried new profiles, but the problems followed with them. I tried deleting my mods to no avail (some of them just won't delete, it seems). I uninstalled and reinstalled the game... that got it working again, but made the Larilauncher disappear... and I can still see the mod files sitting in the folder, just waiting to strike.

Update: I still have no launcher (have to go in through the bin folder)... Any new profile without mods activated works perfectly. ANY mod that I activate drops me to the skybox testing area immediately when starting a new game. Tried to get GoG Galaxy to verify/fix the game files and it locked tighter than a drum at 92%. Restarted it and it is now locked on (scanning game files). No matter, it isn't like that launcher was working anyway. I know that it is far too early to be poking around under the hood and expecting anything good to come of it, but I do have to wonder if the end game is going to be kinder and gentler for novices like me who're trying to pull things off the Nexus and spice up their experiences. Anyone care to hazard a guess? Also, if anyone is curious or wanting to help me save what is left of my hair, I have tried manual install, Vortex, Candor, and LaughingLeader's Mod Manager. I tried the patch3modfixer and the nrd_killstory approach. If there's another way out there, I have not located it yet, but I'm looking.

E
addict
addict
E
Bit of a digression here; I have zero experience of using mods because I play games on my work Mac and I could never find any for the other game I play, Total War Warhammer.

Are there likely to be Mods available for Mac? I'm getting the feeling that I will be reliant on mods to make this game enjoyable for me, given that it seems fairly cast in iron they are not going to amend party control, combat, etc. mechanics. I know Mac gamers are a minority but would love to find a means to try some out, eventually.

They should really add the option to edit your armor color. Such a small change but it would mean so much. Setting up and figuring out the mod is such a nuisance.

veteran
veteran
so, it's probably a late to the party addition but I believe that XCOM2 War of the Chosen is exactly what a mod toolset should be able to do. I'ts pretty much possible to do everything, next to nothing is hardcoded. The toolset itself is quite daunting, but the possibilities and the fact that xcom 2 mods keep being released to this day are quite great. it's not like Skyrim's toolset, quite easy to use but also quite limited when it came to hardcoded matters.

old hand
old hand
Considering that we're unlikely to get a game faithful to the 5th edition rules, I *REALLY HOPE* that modding it will be possible to a very large extent. <3

journeyman
journeyman
Mods are annoying. People should accept the judgement of the game-makers and not try to foment these illegitimate customizations. You play the game. Hopefully your friends can be convinced to play the game in your party. You beat the game. And then you find something else to do. People who disagree with this are people who are in love with a fantasy about what gaming could be, not what it is.

It's like if I'm reading a story and I want to change the plot. I can re-write parts of the story and try to convince people to accept my story instead of the official one. I could write my own story that no one would ever read. Or I could just resign myself to the fact that the sort of audience that reads books prefers what the authors write, not what I could add to it.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
I think mods are great and important, fans can do a lot of things better as the manufacturer has clearly confirmed 100 times, check out nexus

Adding mods to add additional things to the game that currently are not implimented is great. And people do like playing the game different ways. Like different options for armor and gear. More Subraces not included, Additional Classes/Subclasses that wont be in the full game. Everyones got there flavor preferences. There is suppose to be a DM mode eventually according to the pre-release info which I would hold off on too much till we see that it would be nice to see alot of the mods updated for patch 4 however depending how long larion takes for news on the next patch...Fingers crossed that they are more communicative this time with the upcoming patch.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Does anyone know if someone working on a DnD mod for the game? And can it be ready at launch or isn’t that possible cause of unreleased content?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Does anyone know if someone working on a DnD mod for the game? And can it be ready at launch or isn’t that possible cause of unreleased content?

What do you mean, a "dnd" mod?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan

What do you mean, a "dnd" mod?
I believe that user is currently suspended, but I imagine they want a mod that makes BG3 more faithful to 5e rules.

A couple people on the forums have expressed interest in doing this. E.g., @Scribe (earlier on this page) was learning what things in BG3 could be modded to more closely match 5e.
I assume that such a mod would not be ready at launch because it would likely conflict with many things in Act 2+ and wouldn't cover all the things we'd gain access to at levels 5+ (fireballs not creating surfaces for example).

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by GristlyKnuckle
Mods are annoying. People should accept the judgement of the game-makers and not try to foment these illegitimate customizations. You play the game. Hopefully your friends can be convinced to play the game in your party. You beat the game. And then you find something else to do. People who disagree with this are people who are in love with a fantasy about what gaming could be, not what it is.

It's like if I'm reading a story and I want to change the plot. I can re-write parts of the story and try to convince people to accept my story instead of the official one. I could write my own story that no one would ever read. Or I could just resign myself to the fact that the sort of audience that reads books prefers what the authors write, not what I could add to it.

Yep, Vanilla is great. Mods are best used when after a few plays throughs when you'd like to experiment with a few things. Some people want side characters and quests fleshed out, some want items added that they feel should &/or will enhance the game. Mods cover a multitude of different "needs". Most people don't add mods to cheat they just want a few sprinkles on their ice cream.

stranger
stranger
Kinda a double post BUT not aimed as a rebuttal, more of my "insight" as a long time game player (Started playing games in the mid 80's). Mods have the ability to fix &/or add to games that the Game Developers either don't have the time OR just can't be bothered "fixing" as an example I'm going to use the game Ark Survival Evolved, that game was ok before mods and had a metric shit-ton of bugs. In my opinion the modding community didn't just enhance that game they bloody saved it and added stuff that the Game Developers added to their own game, even huge maps. Mods aren't the enemy. It's what you do or don't do with them that matters. So I'd like to take the time to thank ALL the modders that are working on mods for this game no matter how small or how EPIC.

stranger
stranger
I'm in favour of mods. Having been able to mod quite a few games over the year, I find they greatly extend replay of games. Sometimes the mods add a new perspective to the game, allowing it to be played with more variety or in a different way than the developers imagined or had the time to incorporate into the game. Occasionally a modder will figure out a workaround for something tedious, just annoying or a fix for something that just doesn't seem to work right for some users.

Quite a few old games that are no longer in development have had new life added to them, again extending replay. And quite a few older games are being brought back to life and enhanced, remastered by studios.

Liking and using mods doesn't mean I don't value the developers and their talents and efforts. BG 3 even from the EA is shaping up to be an extensive and highly replayable game. And I've noticed that creativity usually generates more creativity. Many of these modders have a lot of talent.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Mods are annoying. People should accept the judgement of the game-makers and not try to foment these illegitimate customizations.

Yes master. wink All hail the Game Makers!

You play the game. Hopefully your friends can be convinced to play the game in your party. You beat the game. And then you find something else to do. People who disagree with this are people who are in love with a fantasy about what gaming could be, not what it is.

Except I don't move on to something else often. Most of my gaming friends are dead. I'm older now, my family have different gaming tastes than me, so I play solo. I find a game I really like, and I play it to death. When sequels and expansions I like better come out, I'll move on to that. Thirty years of PC gaming and I currently own 12 games. Galactic Civilization 3, Civilizations 5 & 6, Master of Orion 2, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, Axis and Allies, all 3 Dragon Ages (I prefer DA 2 crazy ), Solasta, and Baldur's Gate 3.

That's a fair point. I started using mod in NWN and NWN2 to add classes from D&D, that weren't in the games. And to play classic adventure modules from D&D. Some mods improve the AI so it's more of a challenge. With GC3, I added mods to add other races. I wanted to play a huge long game with a hundred homeworlds, the game came with a dozen. Mods add the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Shadows, Centauri, Narn, MoO 2 races, and several custom races. I've been playing that playthrough, off and on for years. It's down to thirty something races now.

With BG3 I used mods to mainly fix certain problems. Wizards have always been my favorite D&D class. Larian at launch gave us 2 choices, the Evoker and the Abjurer. I prefer the battlefield controller style Wizard, but I also like the Battle Mage and Minion Master styles. Blasting is more for Sorcerers, and is the most boring way to play a Wizard for me. So until Larian releases the Enchanter, Illusionist, Diviner and Necromancer subclasses; I'm stuck with the Abjurer. But upon release the Abjurer was broken, and took 5 months until Larian fix it. There was a mod that did. And I used it until Larian fix it. Also the 5e Spells and 5e Cantrips mods add spells and cantrips essential for the Abjurer subclass. The Shield spell and Booming Blade cantrip to name 2. I also use mods to play a Paladin (my 2nd favorite 5e class) until Larian adds it. War, Tempest, and Death domain Cleric subclasses, Expanded Backgrounds, More 5e feats, ect. And I use the Level Up mod most of the time, since I cap out half way through ea. These mods add richness to my gaming experience. And since it is MY experience, and my money, I'll play as I choose.

Last edited by Merlex; 27/03/21 05:32 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Merlex
Mods are annoying. People should accept the judgement of the game-makers and not try to foment these illegitimate customizations.

Yes master. wink All hail the Game Makers!

You play the game. Hopefully your friends can be convinced to play the game in your party. You beat the game. And then you find something else to do. People who disagree with this are people who are in love with a fantasy about what gaming could be, not what it is.

Except I don't move on to something else often. Most of my gaming friends are dead. I'm older now, my family have different gaming tastes than me, so I play solo. I find a game I really like, and I play it to death. When sequels and expansions I like better come out, I'll move on to that. Thirty years of PC gaming and I currently own 12 games. Galactic Civilization 3, Civilizations 5 & 6, Master of Orion 2, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, Axis and Allies, all 3 Dragon Ages (I prefer DA 2 crazy ), Solasta, and Baldur's Gate 3.

That's a fair point. I started using mod in NWN and NWN2 to add classes from D&D, that weren't in the games. And to play classic adventure modules from D&D. Some mods improve the AI so it's more of a challenge. With GC3, I added mods to add other races. I wanted to play a huge long game with a hundred homeworlds, the game came with a dozen. Mods add the Klingons, Romulans, Shadows, several custom races. I've been playing that playthrough, off and on for years. It's down to thirty something races now.

With BG3 I used mods to mainly fix certain problems. Wizards have always been my favorite D&D class. Larian at launch gave us 2 choices, the Evoker and the Abjurer. I prefer the battlefield controller style Wizard, but I also like the Battle Mage and Minion Master styles. Blasting is more for Sorcerers, and is the most boring way to play a Wizard for me. So until Larian releases the Enchanter, Illusionist, Diviner and Necromancer subclasses; I'm stuck with the Abjurer. But upon release the Abjurer was broken, and took 5 months until Larian fix it. There was a mod that did. And I used it until Larian fix it. Also the 5e Spells and 5e Cantrips mods add spells and cantrips essential for the Abjurer subclass. The Shield spell and Booming Blade cantrip to name 2. I also use mods to play a Paladin (my 2nd favorite 5e class) until Larian adds it. War, Tempest, and Death domain Cleric subclasses, Expanded Backgrounds, More 5e feats, ect. And I use the Level Up mod most of the time, since I cap out half way through ea. These mods add richness to my gaming experience. And since it is MY experience, and my money, I'll play as I choose.

Ooooh sounds awesome! Are the mods that already exist good so far? =)

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard