Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#765869 19/03/21 02:07 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Is it me, or can these heroes jump ridiculous distances?

Rather than have this, could we get a Jump/Climb/Swing animation or something more realistic?

Example: Wyll jumps off a wall at the gate to fight gobbos. He drops a HUGE distance like a cat and lands on this feet. How about, instead, he grabs a vine and swings down?

Example: There's a box on a cliff for some reason. To get to it, I must jump 10 feet across a chasm. What about diving, landing hard on the edge and climbing the rest of the way up? Something like that.

veteran
veteran
Jumping down is fine. You take damage from falls unless you cast Feather Fall.

Jumping up is ridiculous though as is jumping to disengage in combat. I'd rather see more realistic climbing to reach elevation and jumping in combat should be the polar opposite of a safe disengage and trigger an AoO.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Jumping down is fine. You take damage from falls unless you cast Feather Fall.

Jumping up is ridiculous though as is jumping to disengage in combat. I'd rather see more realistic climbing to reach elevation and jumping in combat should be the polar opposite of a safe disengage and trigger an AoO.

Exactly what I'm saying. Thank you. Lae'zel is like the Hulk. She can leap 30 feet into the air whether up or across huge gaps. I get that some characters might have some magical enhancements when it comes to jumping, but right now it's pretty crazy looking that you can jump even 10 feet and land on your feet.

And some enemies are also super villains who can jump 100 feet across a room and crash down in the midst of your party. I've had battles where I was sure my characters were a safe distance away. I was wrong. I was horribly wrong!

M
M
Waiting for the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon mod.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by marajango

Unless I am much mistaken I do believe that mod is already a core part of the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan

Unless I am much mistaken I do believe that mod is already a core part of the game.

How lame will Monks' lvl 2 Step of the Wind ability be when everyone can already Disengage as a bonus action and jump superhuman distances.

The Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon class already exists in 5e, but no one will notice because the house rules made everyone move like that.

I agree it's immersion-breaking to see your party jumping around like superheroes. It also forces some non-intuitive choices, like choosing +1 to strength as the first stat upgrade for my Rogue, just to increase his jumping distance to get behind someone. Strength isn't supposed to be that critical a stat for a Rogue.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the jumping distance is very tightly integrated with the scenery design. Not just combat encounter areas, but available travel paths outside of combat. Some areas you can reach now would be off-limits with a shorter jump, and reducing the AI's jump could screw up their programming. Larian may not be able to just reduce the jumping distance without completely re-drawing the scenery areas, so I suspect this is something we're just going to have to get used to.

Banned
Banned
Sometimes, they bite off more than they can chew by jumping from a greater height than they can manage and hurt themselves, and I'd have to patch them up.

D
D
If they at least made it so jump takes it full distance from your speed as per 5e, we wouldn't get a situation in which high strength character has a bonus action dash.
Now you can jump like 20 feet for the cost of 5 feet.

M
M
Originally Posted by Etruscan

So all we need is a reskin to make it look like an eastern RPG. grin

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
I agree it's immersion-breaking to see your party jumping around like superheroes. It also forces some non-intuitive choices, like choosing +1 to strength as the first stat upgrade for my Rogue, just to increase his jumping distance to get behind someone. Strength isn't supposed to be that critical a stat for a Rogue.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the jumping distance is very tightly integrated with the scenery design. Not just combat encounter areas, but available travel paths outside of combat. Some areas you can reach now would be off-limits with a shorter jump, and reducing the AI's jump could screw up their programming. Larian may not be able to just reduce the jumping distance without completely re-drawing the scenery areas, so I suspect this is something we're just going to have to get used to.

I believe that they could fix jump within the existing framework without too much work.

1. Remove jumping up onto raised terrain: They already have climbing rock faces implemented, a climbing spot for areas that were jumpable could be added to those sections that are basically jumpable stairs at the moment, but they could leave the ability to jump down off of high terrain and risk fall damage.

2. In combat, remove jump entirely: replace with a disengage button per 5E rules

3. Leave horizontal jumping in the game outside of combat: this way rivers and bridge gaps etc, can be crossed, and doing so would alleviate the need to drastically alter terrain.

A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired.
-Alexander Hamilton
G
addict
addict
G
I was already hoping that they would remove Jump as a button that you could push and just integrate it into movement, so you click where you want to go and it will make you jump if you need to. Avoid all of the hunting and pecking for the right pixel to click on to make it across a gap. Doing something like that would also solve the issue of it being ludicrous in combat, since you wouldn't get to choose to jump instead of walking past someone.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GreatOdinsBeard
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

I believe that they could fix jump within the existing framework without too much work.

1. Remove jumping up onto raised terrain: They already have climbing rock faces implemented, a climbing spot for areas that were jumpable could be added to those sections that are basically jumpable stairs at the moment, but they could leave the ability to jump down off of high terrain and risk fall damage.

2. In combat, remove jump entirely: replace with a disengage button per 5E rules

3. Leave horizontal jumping in the game outside of combat: this way rivers and bridge gaps etc, can be crossed, and doing so would alleviate the need to drastically alter terrain.

Or just make jump an action.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by grysqrl
I was already hoping that they would remove Jump as a button that you could push and just integrate it into movement, so you click where you want to go and it will make you jump if you need to. Avoid all of the hunting and pecking for the right pixel to click on to make it across a gap. Doing something like that would also solve the issue of it being ludicrous in combat, since you wouldn't get to choose to jump instead of walking past someone.

I would much prefer this way as well. Every time I see "must jump to reach" it just feels like I'm being punished as a player.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GreatOdinsBeard

You should be able to high jump though, just not to surreal heights. In 5e a character with 10 Strength can jump 3 feet high and a character with 16 Strength 6 feet high. Very reasonable. Lae'zel is jumping what looks like over 15 feet high in BG3 so Larian effectively tripled the high jump distance. It's not as silly and cartoony in PnP.

And why do we have the Athletics and Acrobatics skills if you don't have to climb anywhere or basically ever use them? There could be Athletics / Acrobatics checks when you're climbing difficult or steep terrain in combat to give those skills a purpose and to make the terrain more tactical (i.e. require actual skills to make the most of it). Relatively easy checks but fail and fall down and waste movement.

We can't remove jump in combat since it has tactical value there, getting over surfaces and chasms or streams. But jumping should definitely trigger an AoO if you are engaged to an enemy. And be a separate action from Disengage.

Last edited by 1varangian; 20/03/21 12:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
This would be great if the game would be always smart enough to jump over hazards instead of running though them.

And smart enough to do a double jump if there are two small pools of acid in your path that you aren't strong enough get over with just one jump.

And perhaps you would still want to take the long way around the hazards to reach the same spot. Perhaps a toggle to enable/disable jumping so you don't have to tediously click to move one step at a time.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by 1varangian
This would be great if the game would be always smart enough to jump over hazards instead of running though them.

And smart enough to do a double jump if there are two small pools of acid in your path that you aren't strong enough get over with just one jump.

And perhaps you would still want to take the long way around the hazards to reach the same spot. Perhaps a toggle to enable/disable jumping so you don't have to tediously click to move one step at a time.
Yeah, I'd leave the exact interface up to Larian (maybe that's not a great idea), but I was imagining something where if you were trying to get somewhere that you could walk a circuitous path to or take another path with a jump, it would show you both on the screen and you could toggle between the two with e.g. the control key.

addict
addict
We also have ropes that have no function. Maybe climbing is not yet in EA but will be coming. So until that is available, jumping is the only means to get up that cliff.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ldo58
We also have ropes that have no function. Maybe climbing is not yet in EA but will be coming. So until that is available, jumping is the only means to get up that cliff.

I can't imaged they'd go that route given that they already have cliff faces with climbing surfaces built into the engine from DOS.

A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired.
-Alexander Hamilton
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ldo58
What really sucks is that they are not communicating at all.

Who knows what features are planned and what might be placeholders or experimental. Some insight in game features and even a rough roadmap would be nice before writing feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard