Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
C
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by MrSam
The story is almost certainly complete. They might tweak it here and there but they are no way rewriting the whole thing.

Are you sure about that? They might rewrite the whole thing if GM4Him is unhappy.

Why the sarcasm? I thought EA was for giving our opinions on how we think the game could be better. I started this post to offer a suggestion. If they don't like it, Im fine with it.

Now it's turned into people getting all mad and hurt and acting like Im stomping my feet like a kid. I'm sorry if I offended any or hurt any with my comments. If I could just remove the entire thread I would at this point. The whole thing is so out of hand, and any changes I may have thought were cool are so not worth it it this point.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the mechanics, but I absolutely wouldn't mind if the game could be played my way and the way you'd like as well. The more choice the better as far as I'm concerned.

You come across as a perfectly reasonable person. No harm in having your own opinion. It's all cool.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Any GREAT story that Larian has with BG3 is auto-destroyed by the cinematic dialogues. Thats my opinion on the matter. Start of EA up to now.
Its cringy, bad acting, weird faces/poses, weird timing, not necessary for many <basic> dialogues etc etc etc....pretty graphics though...Its perfect for the 10 to 25 demographic, so cant blame them.
If BG3 wants to be a movie like experience, they should of just made the game a telltale game.

You really need to learn more about age target focus groups. At this point, you are really just sounding intentionally salty.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Any GREAT story that Larian has with BG3 is auto-destroyed by the cinematic dialogues. Thats my opinion on the matter. Start of EA up to now.
Its cringy, bad acting, weird faces/poses, weird timing, not necessary for many <basic> dialogues etc etc etc....pretty graphics though...Its perfect for the 10 to 25 demographic, so cant blame them.
If BG3 wants to be a movie like experience, they should of just made the game a telltale game.

This is completely false.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by MrSam
Why the sarcasm? I thought EA was for giving our opinions on how we think the game could be better. I started this post to offer a suggestion. If they don't like it, Im fine with it.

Now it's turned into people getting all mad and hurt and acting like Im stomping my feet like a kid. I'm sorry if I offended any or hurt any with my comments. If I could just remove the entire thread I would at this point. The whole thing is so out of hand, and any changes I may have thought were cool are so not worth it it this point.

I don't know man, I'm just tired of people complaining and arguing about everything. I thought it would be fun to talk to other Baldur's Gate fans while I wait for the full game but as soon I registered to this forum I realized that nothing else happens here but petty arguing and complaining. I guess I just wait for the game alone and play it alone and keep my sanity.

Exactly. I came to this site because Steam was even more toxic. I wanted a safe place where I could offer opinions and ideas. It's hard to keep offering ideas when toxic people attack every idea like it is somehow super offensive to them. I don't mind people disagreeing, but the way I see it, if what someone is suggesting isn't going to decrease the quality of your personal gameplay, there's no need to share your negative opinion. If you like the idea, say so. If you don't and it does hurt your gameplay, then yeah, say so and explain why respectfully. If it ain't hurting your game, or you aren't going to give a valid explanation, just don't say anything.

Many times I've agreed with people who explain logically why it would degrade the quality of the game or Ive tried to tweak my ideas because of respectful, logical explanations.

Last edited by GM4Him; 21/03/21 05:12 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So Raphael is a perfect example if why I wrote this post. I am currently doing a playthrough where I haven't long rested at all because I haven't needed to. Im at the druids grove. Im going to meet Nettie. So no Gale Dialogues for me. I miss them entirely because I played well and didn't End Day after playing maybe an hour. Unless I adventure for 30 minutes, rest 24 hours, adventure 30 minutes, rest 24 hours, and then head to the Grove to meet Nettie, I am punished. No character development for me all because I didn't need to rest twice before the Grove.

So good playing. What is the result? No character development. Punished for good playing. Rewarded only if I waste 2 full days all before I reach the Grove. Maybe 1 hour of adventuring has been done by then, but you need to end day twice when you think every second counts makes no sense unless I really did poorly against the few enemies I have to fight before then.

So like I originally said. Good RPGing, punished. Bad RPGing, rewarded.

And this continues in other ways as well. Again, I should get better items, better story and better endings to different story plots if I played well and not so good results if I don't do so well.

Last edited by GM4Him; 21/03/21 08:28 PM.
veteran
veteran
Funny stuff about this complaint is the fact that you are the only one who concidering purposely ignoring game mechanic, that game litteraly begs you to use ... as "good playing". :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
So Raphael is a perfect example if why I wrote this post. I am currently doing a playthrough where I haven't long rested at all because I haven't needed to. Im at the druids grove. Im going to meet Nettie. So no Gale Dialogues for me. I miss them entirely because I played well and didn't End Day after playing maybe an hour. Unless I adventure for 30 minutes, rest 24 hours, adventure 30 minutes, rest 24 hours, and then head to the Grove to meet Nettie, I am punished. No character development for me all because I didn't need to rest twice before the Grove.

So good playing. What is the result? No character development. Punished for good playing. Rewarded only if I waste 2 full days all before I reach the Grove. Maybe 1 hour of adventuring has been done by then, but you need to end day twice when you think every second counts makes no sense unless I really did poorly against the few enemies I have to fight before then.

So like I originally said. Good RPGing, punished. Bad RPGing, rewarded.

And this continues in other ways as well. Again, I should get better items, better story and better endings to different story plots if I played well and not so good results if I don't do so well.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks obvious to me that this part of the game is work in progress.

The rests mechanic is not really appealing and the companions dialogues or even the story scenes (i.e Raphaël) trigger often but not always... And usually we don't really know why.

If "good playing" (to quote you) is a problem for the story telling... They could just allow us to level up at the camp and only at the camp during a long rest like in DnD. That makes sense and you won't miss dialogues anymore if the remaining bugs are fixed.

I agree that something could/should be done for this fake sense of urgency but I guess it's not really complicated to solve.

I'd also like a living world instead of a world in which everyone is obviously waiting for me... But it's probably another thread.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 21/03/21 09:28 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Funny stuff about this complaint is the fact that you are the only one who concidering purposely ignoring game mechanic, that game litteraly begs you to use ... as "good playing". :-/

The problem with ignoring game mechanics, is that Larian has moved the focus of combat from utilising class skills, to abusing stealth, backstab, jump/disengage, push, surface damage and height advantage. To compensate, they've monkeyed with enemy abilities, Hookhorroer/Minotaur, 90 foot jump slam, Bulette acid spit jump bowling pin scatter etc, to try to compensate.

If one ignored all of the divinity features that are now central to combat, just makes the character underpowered in face of the revamped enemies that are designed to use those same non-5th edition gameplay mechanics.

A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired.
-Alexander Hamilton
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

You are completely missing the point. The point is that the game should not force me to ise a mechanic if I don't need to and it makes no sense to. If I have full health, spell slots, and Ive only adventured for 5 minutes, the game should not force me to rest for 24 hours in order to NOT miss character dialogue.

Who adventures for 5 minutes, does literally nothing of value and says, "Im tired. I meed to call it a day?" This literally happened to me, and it happens quite a bit.

P
addict
addict
P

You are completely missing the point. The point is that the game should not force me to ise a mechanic if I don't need to and it makes no sense to. If I have full health, spell slots, and Ive only adventured for 5 minutes, the game should not force me to rest for 24 hours in order to NOT miss character dialogue.

Who adventures for 5 minutes, does literally nothing of value and says, "Im tired. I meed to call it a day?" This literally happened to me, and it happens quite a bit.

I have never really felt like I was tired and needed to call it a day in any game really 8?.
I mean I camp to either refresh my quick rest, and to activate a cutscene or to see if I am going to have a dream after using a couple tadpole powers. I respect the fact that this is your personal playstyle, but I cannot even relate it to a priority in my playing of the game. Pretty sure you can wait a bit after they say they are tired before returning and still seeing the cutscene regardless.

In regards to your other idea, I think it is a great mechanic in XCOM2 for certain missions to put a time limit on it, but at the same time, I have really gotten to be annoyed at them as well preferring the untimed ones. I just don't see how they can put that type of mechanic in this game. It hasn't been in any of their portfolio of games either. It would be cool if they could break the conversations, or at least some of them from the camp. DA:O did this well. Certain scenes had to be at camp, but there was also unlocked ones you could do anywhere. Not going to say I wouldn't be happy if that could be achieved. Not going to lie.

Unfortunately, in a public forum, people can choose to disagree and post it. Some more fervently than others. But that is the way of the dark side I guess. Been that way in every forum I have ever been part of ;?

Last edited by Pandemonica; 21/03/21 10:04 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok. Let's say they do nothing about tying End Day to dialogues. Who suffers? People like me. Let's say they untie End Day and dialogue. Who suffers? No one.

So why resist my suggestion?

I can see people not wanting to be rushed in the Prologue. Makes sense. You want to get your bearings. I get that. I may want something different that is faster paced, but I get people resisting that change.

I can also understand people not wanting time sensitive events. Experienced players may have no problem getting to the hag and killing her without End Day but others may not. I might still want time sensitive events, but I get why people might not.

What I don't get is why resist my suggestion to allow players the freedom to NOT End Day constantly in order to trigger dialogue.

veteran
veteran
Ive only adventured for 5 minutes
In that case you are still on Nautiloid, maybe talking with us ... most probably just finished looking around. laugh

Ok. Let's say they do nothing about tying End Day to dialogues. Who suffers? People like me. Let's say they untie End Day and dialogue. Who suffers?
People like me. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 21/03/21 10:30 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In that case you are still on Nautiloid, maybe talking with us ... most probably just finished looking around. laugh

Ok. Let's say they do nothing about tying End Day to dialogues. Who suffers? People like me. Let's say they untie End Day and dialogue. Who suffers?
People like me. wink

No Ragnarock. Not 5 minutes on the nautiloid. Im referring to I Ended Day, ran through Blighted Village, Shadowheart said, "Im tired. Let's call it a day." I Ended Day. Astarion had some sort of dialogue triggered.

And how do you suffer if the game doesn't make you End Day to trigger dialogue at certain times or you don't trigger them at all? In my suggestion, you get all dialogues in some sort of order that are not necessarily triggered by End Day.

old hand
old hand

People like me. wink

No Ragnarock. Not 5 minutes on the nautiloid. Im referring to I Ended Day, ran through Blighted Village, Shadowheart said, "Im tired. Let's call it a day." I Ended Day. Astarion had some sort of dialogue triggered.

And how do you suffer if the game doesn't make you End Day to trigger dialogue at certain times or you don't trigger them at all? In my suggestion, you get all dialogues in some sort of order that are not necessarily triggered by End Day.

Yeah would be great if the dialogues were not tied to long rests... and they really need to make sure you can't spam long rests whenever you want, either.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by andreasrylander

People like me. wink

Yeah would be great if the dialogues were not tied to long rests... and they really need to make sure you can't spam long rests whenever you want, either.

It's nice when people agree. That was exactly why I suggested 2 long rests = 1 day instead of just 1, and maybe you only get like 6 days before the gobbos attack the Grove and the druids kick the tieflings out. Then, if you don't kill the leaders in time, you have the choice of either invading the gobbo base to save Halsin while the bulk of the gobbo army is away, or you can help defend the Grove. If you dethrone Kahga in time, the Druids help the tieflings at the gate. If not, the Druids complete the ritual, the tieflings fight outside the gate or wherever, and you can still choose whether to help save the tieflings or not. 6 days would be 12 Long Rests and 24 Short. Should be more than enough and provide more flavor to the game. Different endings not based just in whether you are good or evil but on how many Long Rests you used.

And maybe use this mechanic for other things too. Ignore Lae'zel and she leaves. Same with Wyll. Give the players a couple days to proceed to the Githyanki. If you don't,she gets frustrated and departs. Seems that would be true to her character and her dialogues. Same with Wyll. Give players warnings. Maybe the day before something bad will happen, a character warns them so it's not a surprise.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by andreasrylander

It's nice when people agree. That was exactly why I suggested 2 long rests = 1 day instead of just 1, and maybe you only get like 6 days before the gobbos attack the Grove and the druids kick the tieflings out. Then, if you don't kill the leaders in time, you have the choice of either invading the gobbo base to save Halsin while the bulk of the gobbo army is away, or you can help defend the Grove. If you dethrone Kahga in time, the Druids help the tieflings at the gate. If not, the Druids complete the ritual, the tieflings fight outside the gate or wherever, and you can still choose whether to help save the tieflings or not. 6 days would be 12 Long Rests and 24 Short. Should be more than enough and provide more flavor to the game. Different endings not based just in whether you are good or evil but on how many Long Rests you used.

And maybe use this mechanic for other things too. Ignore Lae'zel and she leaves. Same with Wyll. Give the players a couple days to proceed to the Githyanki. If you don't,she gets frustrated and departs. Seems that would be true to her character and her dialogues. Same with Wyll. Give players warnings. Maybe the day before something bad will happen, a character warns them so it's not a surprise.

What if they added a day night cycle to the "im tired dialog". would you still suggest 2 long rests = 1 day

Months back I made a comment in another thread where the I'm tired dialog that pops up once in a while seemed to be a half finished feature leading to day/night cycle. BTW most adventures are not elderly and require multiple long rests every day. If this is a common thing you do IRL, pretty sure its unhealthy.

Last edited by fallenj; 22/03/21 05:28 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Long Rest does not mean sleep. It means light activity. Reading, memorizing spells, etc., all occur over that 8 hours. This is realistic and 5e rules.

The point of 2 Long Rests per day is that right now it makes even less sense to Long Rest because it is only 1 per day. I only adventure maybe 1 hour at a time at best and Long Rest meaning End Day. So adventure 1 hour, rest 23? Makes no sense when you are supposed to be racing against time before gobbos attack, etc.

At least with 2 Long Rests per day it is adventure 1 hour, rest 8, adventure 1 hour and rest 8. That's 18 hours. Add 2 short rests per Long. Each short rest is 1 hour. That's roughly 4 more,hours for a total of 22 hours per day. This gives you roughly 2 extra hours per day that could be simply accounted for by saying some rests were longer than others, or you could maybe adventure more than an hour before each Long Rest. Either way, more believable.

old hand
old hand
Long Rest does not mean sleep. It means light activity. Reading, memorizing spells, etc., all occur over that 8 hours. This is realistic and 5e rules.

The point of 2 Long Rests per day is that right now it makes even less sense to Long Rest because it is only 1 per day. I only adventure maybe 1 hour at a time at best and Long Rest meaning End Day. So adventure 1 hour, rest 23? Makes no sense when you are supposed to be racing against time before gobbos attack, etc.

At least with 2 Long Rests per day it is adventure 1 hour, rest 8, adventure 1 hour and rest 8. That's 18 hours. Add 2 short rests per Long. Each short rest is 1 hour. That's roughly 4 more,hours for a total of 22 hours per day. This gives you roughly 2 extra hours per day that could be simply accounted for by saying some rests were longer than others, or you could maybe adventure more than an hour before each Long Rest. Either way, more believable.

It seriously means sleep for a normal human. What do you think happens in a normal day for people in d&d?

Long Rest = Exended Rest in 4e. 4e page 263 PHB, duration = at least 6 hours, Once Per Day = after finish extended rest, you have to wait 12 hours. No Strenuous Activity = You normally sleep during an extended rest though you don't have to (some races don't sleep) light activity, regain hp spells so on.

short rests are 5 min. not going into that.

There is no time in the game currently, the voice dialog that pops isn't fully featured. This time you are making up is just that, you making it up. There is no need for additional rests, you are trying to give feedback to half a feature EA. In what way does the sleep time even remotely seem finished?

Edit* I'll do one better 5e page 70 copy/paste from freebe pdf

Long Rest
A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8
hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least
6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity,
such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.
If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at
least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or
similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin
the rest again to gain any benefit from it.
At the end of a long rest, a character regains all lost
hit points. The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up
to a number of dice equal to half of the character’s total
number of them (minimum of one die). For example, if a
character has eight Hit Dice, he or she can regain four
spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest.
A character can’t benefit from more than one long rest
in a 24-hour period, and a character must have at least
1 hit point at the start of the rest to gain its benefits.

Last edited by fallenj; 22/03/21 06:32 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
OK. I stand corrected. If this comment had been posted in the beginning, I'd have accepted that. It's 5e rules. I don't recall reading that before, so that's my bad that I didn't catch the "A character can't benefit from more than one long rest in a 24-hour period" line. I know in other D&D video games a long rest has been able to be performed more than once a day, and I know some play D&D that way, so maybe it didn't register for me. Either way, doesn't matter. You've pointed out the rules, and yes, it makes sense that if Long Rest is pretty much you sleeping at the end of a day, then fine. I'm good with that. 1 Long Rest a day then. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

This said, if Long Rest must equal End Day, meaning I adventure a bit, maybe do 2 short rests (A Short Rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.), then this only escalates the point I'm trying to make for this entire post. Everyone keeps saying it makes no sense from a story perspective that you should be in a hurry and not Long Rest a lot. However, if every Long Rest is to be 1 Day coming to an end, I should not be Long Resting if at all possible according to the storyline. Why? These factors tell me, the player, not to Long Rest if at all possible, ESPECIALLY if a Long Rest is the end of a day:

1. I have a tadpole in my head that is a foreign object that is a creepy, nasty, ugly, scary thing. At the beginning, especially, I am told multiple times, and may even watch it happen to someone if I trigger the scene, that this tadpole is going to turn me grotesquely into a Mind Flayer in a very, very painful way. Even later, when I am told it is dormant, there is still the looming threat that any day now I might see symptoms. And then, to top it all off, I am told that this thing is special and that the Mind Flayers and the Absolute have special plans for me and my companions. AND THEN, to top it all off, Raphael shows up wanting to likely get his hands on the dumb thing. He tells me to go ahead and shop around, but eventually your time will come when you will come running to him begging for him to save you. So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary?

2. After reaching the Druid's Grove, I learn that goblins now know where the Grove is. They could attack again at ANY moment. ANY moment. The longer I take killing the gobbo leaders, the better the chances that the gobbos are going to send a HUGE force to slaughter everyone, possibly including me if I'm in the grove at the time. All the lives in the grove depend on me. So unless I don't care about the tieflings and druids, why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary?

3. The druids are performing a ritual to seal off the grove. It is going to be completed in a few days. The more I Long Rest, the sooner the day will come when the druids will finish the ritual. If that happens, I can't ever buy or sell things in the Grove AND if I care, all the tieflings are going to die either by gnolls on the road or gobbos wiping them out. So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary? Even if it is just because I would no longer have access to resources and supplies, it would still be important to me to save the Grove if I can.

4. I have companions urging me to complete certain tasks in a timely fashion. Every time I talk to Lae'zel she's nagging at me to stop dawdling and get my butt moving to the creche because it's our only hope for a cure. Shadowheart tells me numerous times that we need to find a healer and it should be our top priority. Gale does too. Astarion as well. "We need to learn to control these things," he urges us. Wyll wants us to get our butts moving to kill the gobbos before it's too late, so that we can save the tieflings he cares about so much. So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary? If I take too long, shouldn't my companions get fed up with me and leave?

All this said, I escape the nautiloid, land on a beach at the beginning of Day 1. I meet Shadowheart and kill devourers. 5 minutes, maybe 10, of actual adventuring. I'm told to Long Rest. I can see it needing to be there as a Tutorial feature to tell players that if they need to Long Rest it's there. They may have not done so well against the devourers. So it is a good thing to have it there at that time.

However, I shouldn't HAVE to Long Rest there if I don't need to. If I have full health and spell slots or whatever, why Long Rest when I just started my day and have only been maybe adventuring for 10 minutes? By saying I shouldn't HAVE to, I mean that I shouldn't have to Long Rest in order to trigger certain dialogues. Every time I play, if I don't End Day at that point or some time prior to fighting Marli and Barton in the ruins, I miss out on Gale's Mirror Image dialogue. I don't know how others have triggered it if they don't do a Long Rest before Marli and Barton, but I seem to never trigger it unless I do End Day prior to the ruins. I either get the Mirror Image dialogue or Go to Hell. Never both. So I am punished for not Long Resting after, at the most, 20 minutes of barely doing anything but run around and meet people. I have a tadpole in my head, gonna turn me to a Mind Flayer, but I'm going to adventure 20 minutes and rest 23 hours? Makes no sense unless I am low on health and spell slots. Shadowheart even tells you, if you rest at that point, that she's not sure it's a good idea. So especially if I agree with her that it wasn't a good idea, I shouldn't need to rest in order to experience certain dialogue options at that point in the game.

It also doesn't make sense at all if I DID Long Rest at that point, that my characters would then say, "Gosh. I'd better see a bedroll in my near future," after beating Marli in the ruins. I mean. How much sleep and rest do my characters need? If I Long Rested just after beating the devourers, spent maybe another 15 minutes adventuring, my characters shouldn't be saying they're tired already. I just woke up from spending like 23 and a half hours doing nothing, sleeping 8 hours of that amount of time. So why after I defeat the guy at the door and Marli are my characters suddenly needing to Long Rest again? Especially if I beat them using stealth so that they don't even scratch me, it makes no sense to Long Rest at that point.

So why are they tired? The answer is only because another dialogue scene needs a triggering. That's dumb roleplaying. I should not be tired after barely doing anything. However, if I press on to a logical resting zone, like the Druid's Grove after I've talked to Nettie and done a bunch of stuff in the Grove, then I miss out on another dialogue scene and character development. AND, if you play at all like I do, even in my first playthrough, you can make it to the Druid's Grove without Long Resting at all or maybe just once. So what do you get if you don't Long Rest until after you meet Nettie? You miss out on character development. No conversations with Gale or Astarion or Shadowheart because you didn't adventure 30 minutes and take the rest of the day off and sleep 8 hours.

That's what I mean by the game punishing good roleplaying. Because I don't rest so often, because I don't need to, I miss out on good stuff that the creators developed but I don't get to see because I'm naturally trying to NOT Long Rest as much as possible because that's what the story is telling me to do. It's a complete contradiction from the story to rest that often. And then, later in the game, again, it is a complete contradiction to Long Rest often because of the 4 items I mentioned above.

So ALL I am suggesting is that Larian do the following:

1. Untie the dialogues from End Day so that I can get my character development without having to End Day when it is clearly not necessary for my characters to End a Day. If I have full health and spell slots and I feel I don't need to End Day, don't make me do so just so I can see all the dialogues and interact with the characters. Some dialogues require camp and End Day. I get that. Let me trigger them at some point. Does Gale's Mirror Image scene and Go to Hell have to be before Nettie and the Grove? Can't they still be triggered at some point? I'm still going to long rest. They could be triggered during later long rests. Or you could trigger multiple dialogues all in one night. I get to the Grove and meet Nettie without resting. I rest. Gale's Mirror Image dialogue is triggered. I talk to Shadowheart and get her "I'm not sure this is a good idea" speech. I talk to Astarion and get his beginning dialogues. I notice Gale has another exclamation mark over his head. I talk to him again and trigger the Go to Hell dialogue. I conclude by going to sleep and trigger Raphael's. Sure, it's a lot of dialogue all at once, but I did it to myself by not resting before then. At least I get to experience all the dialogue and character development.

2. Actually follow through with the story. If you tell me that within days goblins might attack, then make the goblins attack within days. Set a time limit. If they are going to attack within say 7 days from the time you enter the Grove, then after 7 Long Rests the goblins attack the Druid Camp. Same with the Druids and their ritual and Lae'zel being in your party and Wyll, etc. If you don't do things in a reasonable, timely fashion, it makes sense from a story perspective for things to happen because you weren't doing what you were told you should be doing. I'm not suggesting an unreasonable or difficult to meet time frame. Give the players time to still explore the whole map and have fun with it. I'm just saying it would put a limit on the number of times people use Long Rest so that they don't use it so much that it makes all the items you created practically worthless. Plus, it adds more possible endings to different scenarios and more flavor and choices to your gameplay. It adds more strategy too.

3. Add better rewards for those who do finish quests in a timely fashion, meaning with only using a certain number of Long Rests. Again, if I beat the hag without Long Resting, something I've never been able to do myself without complete and total luck, shoving her into a bottomless pit, I should get better gear and gold than someone who fights the Red Caps, Long Rests, fights the Adventurers, Long Rests, and then fights the hag. Why is she even waiting around for you to come get her at that point? Again, I think it would make more sense to do what one other player suggested and have Mayrina shipped off to another hag in Baldur's by that point. You can still fight the hag, but it's too late to save Mayrina if you don't rescue her quick enough.

So, again, the whole point of the thread is: Reward good playing.

Maybe "Punish bad role playing" is what is making people upset. If that's upsetting people, let me reword it. I'm sorry to offend. I don't mean to make it sound like people suck or something at the game. This is not a "Get Gud" post. That's not the point. I've certainly had times when I've totally done poorly at boss fights and so forth as well. The spider queen the first time I played it... I did SO bad. So, I'm not meaning to criticize people's gaming.

My point is to reward BETTER roleplaying. If someone who is better than me can beat the entire hag lair without Long Resting even once, that person should get some sort of really awesome magic item. If you beat it with only 1 Long Rest just before facing her, then you get some cool stuff but not as many cool things. The hag cleared out a good portion of her magic items before you arrived because you took so long. That's what she was doing while you rested. If you beat her after needing 2 or more Long Rests, you get stuff, but the cool stuff isn't there anymore. Thus, rewarding people for doing better.

So the next time I play through the game, when I do better at it than the previous time, I might get even cooler items and better scenario results. Maybe the first time I play the game, I fail to kill the gobbo leaders and the grove is attacked. The next time, I prioritize better and at least dethrone Kahga. The Grove is still attacked but the druids help defend, making the fight easier. The third time, I beat the gobbo leaders and entirely save the grove without loss of life. Everyone is so happy that they give me better gear to equip me for my upcoming new questline.

Thus making the game more rewarding to play through each time. The better I get, the better results I get from a story perspective, dialogue and items.

A
stranger
stranger
A
So, starting a new one. This one's purpose is to day that I feel like Larian, as my DM, punishes me for good role playing.

[...]

3. I don't use tadpole powers.

Punishment for good roleplaying: I don't meet the dream person at all.

Solution? Make it so that if I rest too much the dream person starts to appear. If I use tadpole powers, they appear faster.

Wow. I've played all content around 7 times completely through now.
Of course I have never used the tadpole's powers because that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Only through the comment of the OP I got to know about this at all.
Now I also feel like the OP. I've been punished for not playing stupid.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard