Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Amitaya
Originally Posted by GM4Him
So, starting a new one. This one's purpose is to day that I feel like Larian, as my DM, punishes me for good role playing.

[...]

3. I don't use tadpole powers.

Punishment for good roleplaying: I don't meet the dream person at all.

Solution? Make it so that if I rest too much the dream person starts to appear. If I use tadpole powers, they appear faster.

Wow. I've played all content around 7 times completely through now.
Of course I have never used the tadpole's powers because that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Only through the comment of the OP I got to know about this at all.
Now I also feel like the OP. I've been punished for not playing stupid.

Thank you. Game needs to trigger some of the tadpole story somehow whether I use tadpole powers or not. My suggestion. Too many Long Rests = Dream sequence and tadpole powers increasing to tempt you to use them even more.

A
addict
addict
A
So, starting a new one. This one's purpose is to day that I feel like Larian, as my DM, punishes me for good role playing.

[...]

Solution? Make it so that if I rest too much the dream person starts to appear. If I use tadpole powers, they appear faster.

Of course I have never used the tadpole's powers because that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Thank you. Game needs to trigger some of the tadpole story somehow whether I use tadpole powers or not. My suggestion. Too many Long Rests = Dream sequence and tadpole powers increasing to tempt you to use them even more.
I disagree on that. I've run a character who used tadpole powers, and one who didn't and that only one gets the dreams seems to be the point. My guess is that unless you use the tadpole, the dream lover never gets access to your mind. You use them, you lose whatever protection you have. This likely will have some serious consequences down the road (considering the datamined spoilers).

Having the dream lover appear with time would leave the impression that it is a time-dependent event, which would be misleading unless the shielding weakens with time. And this doesn't seem to be the case.

The tadpole story is progressing either way, but the outcome will likely be very different. You get a different text during the boat ride if you have used the powers a lot.

Last edited by ash elemental; 22/03/21 08:50 AM.
old hand
old hand
OK. I stand corrected. If this comment had been posted in the beginning, I'd have accepted that. It's 5e rules. I don't recall reading that before, so that's my bad that I didn't catch the "A character can't benefit from more than one long rest in a 24-hour period" line. I know in other D&D video games a long rest has been able to be performed more than once a day, and I know some play D&D that way, so maybe it didn't register for me. Either way, doesn't matter. You've pointed out the rules, and yes, it makes sense that if Long Rest is pretty much you sleeping at the end of a day, then fine. I'm good with that. 1 Long Rest a day then. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

This said, if Long Rest must equal End Day, meaning I adventure a bit, maybe do 2 short rests (A Short Rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.), then this only escalates the point I'm trying to make for this entire post. Everyone keeps saying it makes no sense from a story perspective that you should be in a hurry and not Long Rest a lot. However, if every Long Rest is to be 1 Day coming to an end, I should not be Long Resting if at all possible according to the storyline. Why? These factors tell me, the player, not to Long Rest if at all possible, ESPECIALLY if a Long Rest is the end of a day:

1. I have a tadpole in my head that is a foreign object that is a creepy, nasty, ugly, scary thing. At the beginning, especially, I am told multiple times, and may even watch it happen to someone if I trigger the scene, that this tadpole is going to turn me grotesquely into a Mind Flayer in a very, very painful way. Even later, when I am told it is dormant, there is still the looming threat that any day now I might see symptoms. And then, to top it all off, I am told that this thing is special and that the Mind Flayers and the Absolute have special plans for me and my companions. AND THEN, to top it all off, Raphael shows up wanting to likely get his hands on the dumb thing. He tells me to go ahead and shop around, but eventually your time will come when you will come running to him begging for him to save you. So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary?

2. After reaching the Druid's Grove, I learn that goblins now know where the Grove is. They could attack again at ANY moment. ANY moment. The longer I take killing the gobbo leaders, the better the chances that the gobbos are going to send a HUGE force to slaughter everyone, possibly including me if I'm in the grove at the time. All the lives in the grove depend on me. So unless I don't care about the tieflings and druids, why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary?

3. The druids are performing a ritual to seal off the grove. It is going to be completed in a few days. The more I Long Rest, the sooner the day will come when the druids will finish the ritual. If that happens, I can't ever buy or sell things in the Grove AND if I care, all the tieflings are going to die either by gnolls on the road or gobbos wiping them out. So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary? Even if it is just because I would no longer have access to resources and supplies, it would still be important to me to save the Grove if I can.

4. I have companions urging me to complete certain tasks in a timely fashion. Every time I talk to Lae'zel she's nagging at me to stop dawdling and get my butt moving to the creche because it's our only hope for a cure. Shadowheart tells me numerous times that we need to find a healer and it should be our top priority. Gale does too. Astarion as well. "We need to learn to control these things," he urges us. Wyll wants us to get our butts moving to kill the gobbos before it's too late, so that we can save the tieflings he cares about so much. So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary? If I take too long, shouldn't my companions get fed up with me and leave?

All this said, I escape the nautiloid, land on a beach at the beginning of Day 1. I meet Shadowheart and kill devourers. 5 minutes, maybe 10, of actual adventuring. I'm told to Long Rest. I can see it needing to be there as a Tutorial feature to tell players that if they need to Long Rest it's there. They may have not done so well against the devourers. So it is a good thing to have it there at that time.

However, I shouldn't HAVE to Long Rest there if I don't need to. If I have full health and spell slots or whatever, why Long Rest when I just started my day and have only been maybe adventuring for 10 minutes? By saying I shouldn't HAVE to, I mean that I shouldn't have to Long Rest in order to trigger certain dialogues. Every time I play, if I don't End Day at that point or some time prior to fighting Marli and Barton in the ruins, I miss out on Gale's Mirror Image dialogue. I don't know how others have triggered it if they don't do a Long Rest before Marli and Barton, but I seem to never trigger it unless I do End Day prior to the ruins. I either get the Mirror Image dialogue or Go to Hell. Never both. So I am punished for not Long Resting after, at the most, 20 minutes of barely doing anything but run around and meet people. I have a tadpole in my head, gonna turn me to a Mind Flayer, but I'm going to adventure 20 minutes and rest 23 hours? Makes no sense unless I am low on health and spell slots. Shadowheart even tells you, if you rest at that point, that she's not sure it's a good idea. So especially if I agree with her that it wasn't a good idea, I shouldn't need to rest in order to experience certain dialogue options at that point in the game.

It also doesn't make sense at all if I DID Long Rest at that point, that my characters would then say, "Gosh. I'd better see a bedroll in my near future," after beating Marli in the ruins. I mean. How much sleep and rest do my characters need? If I Long Rested just after beating the devourers, spent maybe another 15 minutes adventuring, my characters shouldn't be saying they're tired already. I just woke up from spending like 23 and a half hours doing nothing, sleeping 8 hours of that amount of time. So why after I defeat the guy at the door and Marli are my characters suddenly needing to Long Rest again? Especially if I beat them using stealth so that they don't even scratch me, it makes no sense to Long Rest at that point.

So why are they tired? The answer is only because another dialogue scene needs a triggering. That's dumb roleplaying. I should not be tired after barely doing anything. However, if I press on to a logical resting zone, like the Druid's Grove after I've talked to Nettie and done a bunch of stuff in the Grove, then I miss out on another dialogue scene and character development. AND, if you play at all like I do, even in my first playthrough, you can make it to the Druid's Grove without Long Resting at all or maybe just once. So what do you get if you don't Long Rest until after you meet Nettie? You miss out on character development. No conversations with Gale or Astarion or Shadowheart because you didn't adventure 30 minutes and take the rest of the day off and sleep 8 hours.

That's what I mean by the game punishing good roleplaying. Because I don't rest so often, because I don't need to, I miss out on good stuff that the creators developed but I don't get to see because I'm naturally trying to NOT Long Rest as much as possible because that's what the story is telling me to do. It's a complete contradiction from the story to rest that often. And then, later in the game, again, it is a complete contradiction to Long Rest often because of the 4 items I mentioned above.

So ALL I am suggesting is that Larian do the following:

1. Untie the dialogues from End Day so that I can get my character development without having to End Day when it is clearly not necessary for my characters to End a Day. If I have full health and spell slots and I feel I don't need to End Day, don't make me do so just so I can see all the dialogues and interact with the characters. Some dialogues require camp and End Day. I get that. Let me trigger them at some point. Does Gale's Mirror Image scene and Go to Hell have to be before Nettie and the Grove? Can't they still be triggered at some point? I'm still going to long rest. They could be triggered during later long rests. Or you could trigger multiple dialogues all in one night. I get to the Grove and meet Nettie without resting. I rest. Gale's Mirror Image dialogue is triggered. I talk to Shadowheart and get her "I'm not sure this is a good idea" speech. I talk to Astarion and get his beginning dialogues. I notice Gale has another exclamation mark over his head. I talk to him again and trigger the Go to Hell dialogue. I conclude by going to sleep and trigger Raphael's. Sure, it's a lot of dialogue all at once, but I did it to myself by not resting before then. At least I get to experience all the dialogue and character development.

2. Actually follow through with the story. If you tell me that within days goblins might attack, then make the goblins attack within days. Set a time limit. If they are going to attack within say 7 days from the time you enter the Grove, then after 7 Long Rests the goblins attack the Druid Camp. Same with the Druids and their ritual and Lae'zel being in your party and Wyll, etc. If you don't do things in a reasonable, timely fashion, it makes sense from a story perspective for things to happen because you weren't doing what you were told you should be doing. I'm not suggesting an unreasonable or difficult to meet time frame. Give the players time to still explore the whole map and have fun with it. I'm just saying it would put a limit on the number of times people use Long Rest so that they don't use it so much that it makes all the items you created practically worthless. Plus, it adds more possible endings to different scenarios and more flavor and choices to your gameplay. It adds more strategy too.

3. Add better rewards for those who do finish quests in a timely fashion, meaning with only using a certain number of Long Rests. Again, if I beat the hag without Long Resting, something I've never been able to do myself without complete and total luck, shoving her into a bottomless pit, I should get better gear and gold than someone who fights the Red Caps, Long Rests, fights the Adventurers, Long Rests, and then fights the hag. Why is she even waiting around for you to come get her at that point? Again, I think it would make more sense to do what one other player suggested and have Mayrina shipped off to another hag in Baldur's by that point. You can still fight the hag, but it's too late to save Mayrina if you don't rescue her quick enough.

So, again, the whole point of the thread is: Reward good playing.

Maybe "Punish bad role playing" is what is making people upset. If that's upsetting people, let me reword it. I'm sorry to offend. I don't mean to make it sound like people suck or something at the game. This is not a "Get Gud" post. That's not the point. I've certainly had times when I've totally done poorly at boss fights and so forth as well. The spider queen the first time I played it... I did SO bad. So, I'm not meaning to criticize people's gaming.

My point is to reward BETTER roleplaying. If someone who is better than me can beat the entire hag lair without Long Resting even once, that person should get some sort of really awesome magic item. If you beat it with only 1 Long Rest just before facing her, then you get some cool stuff but not as many cool things. The hag cleared out a good portion of her magic items before you arrived because you took so long. That's what she was doing while you rested. If you beat her after needing 2 or more Long Rests, you get stuff, but the cool stuff isn't there anymore. Thus, rewarding people for doing better.

So the next time I play through the game, when I do better at it than the previous time, I might get even cooler items and better scenario results. Maybe the first time I play the game, I fail to kill the gobbo leaders and the grove is attacked. The next time, I prioritize better and at least dethrone Kahga. The Grove is still attacked but the druids help defend, making the fight easier. The third time, I beat the gobbo leaders and entirely save the grove without loss of life. Everyone is so happy that they give me better gear to equip me for my upcoming new questline.

Thus making the game more rewarding to play through each time. The better I get, the better results I get from a story perspective, dialogue and items.

Pretty sure this is more of a game for you...

Last edited by fallenj; 22/03/21 09:53 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
No Ragnarock. Not 5 minutes on the nautiloid. Im referring to I Ended Day, ran through Blighted Village, Shadowheart said, "Im tired. Let's call it a day." I Ended Day. Astarion had some sort of dialogue triggered.
You keeped talking about how you didnt needed to long rest on beach until you at least explored crypt ... now you sudently changing it to completely different situation? O_o

You really should decide what are you talking about, otherwise any discusion is litteraly impossible.

At least with 2 Long Rests per day it is adventure 1 hour, rest 8, adventure 1 hour and rest 8. That's 18 hours. Add 2 short rests per Long. Each short rest is 1 hour. That's roughly 4 more,hours for a total of 22 hours per day. This gives you roughly 2 extra hours per day that could be simply accounted for by saying some rests were longer than others, or you could maybe adventure more than an hour before each Long Rest. Either way, more believable.
I wonder if you realize what did you just say ...
In this scenario you spend 20 hours resting ... and 4 hours per day traveling. O_o

Is this your idea of "smart and good roleplay" where you act like people who just desperately search for cure for their condition? O_o
Even if you were not sleeping, but you were sitting on your ass and for 8 hours watching the clouds ... how is that behaviour "more believable" ?

So why would I want to Long Rest unless it was absolutely necessary?
And this is exacthy why i dont understand you. :-/

In one sentence you justify 20 hours per day spend by resting ... since its "more believable".
In other sentence you demonize ending the day by long rest, since your character cannot afford to "waste time".

Please decide.

1. I have a tadpole in my head that is a foreign object that is a creepy, nasty, ugly, scary thing. At the beginning, especially, I am told multiple times, and may even watch it happen to someone if I trigger the scene, that this tadpole is going to turn me grotesquely into a Mind Flayer in a very, very painful way. Even later, when I am told it is dormant, there is still the looming threat that any day now I might see symptoms. And then, to top it all off, I am told that this thing is special and that the Mind Flayers and the Absolute have special plans for me and my companions. AND THEN, to top it all off, Raphael shows up wanting to likely get his hands on the dumb thing. He tells me to go ahead and shop around, but eventually your time will come when you will come running to him begging for him to save you.
Well, it all depends on your characters attitude ...

First of all, that turning you can watch on Nautiloid, is started by some unknown Illithid technology, that is nowhere around you ... so you are not in imminent danger from it.

Shadowhearth specificly tells you you should have days (plural) at least ...
Laezel even list you all symptoms, and first signs that metamorphosis started ...
And litteraly everyone tells you that they are feeling fine right now.
So yes, you are constantly warned ... but also, all those warnings are "just in case". wink

And about that attitude ...
Take Wyll for example, he specificly tells you that unless he starts to feel anyhow worse, he refuses to give that tadpole more attention.

2. After reaching the Druid's Grove, I learn that goblins now know where the Grove is.
Do you? O_o
When i reached the Druids Grove, i learned that all goblins who know where the Grove either lies in a pool of his own blood before gate ... or rot in the cage in Tieflings prison.

So how exactly do they know?

3. The druids are performing a ritual to seal off the grove. It is going to be completed in a few days.
Once again, where exactly did you get that?
As long as i know, Kagha is the only one who gives you at least a little specific time ... and she says "soon". O_o

But i get that there is some pressure in this point ...
If that happens, I can't ever buy or sell things in the Grove AND if I care, all the tieflings are going to die either by gnolls on the road or gobbos wiping them out.
Funny thing ... you are talking about things you are told when you reach the Grove ...
But everyone specificly tells you that Grove will be sealed, and that is final.
So you should know you will not be able to buy or sell things it Grove soon ... no matter if you help Tieflings or not. smile

So Tieflings are really the only concern here. wink

4. I have companions urging me to complete certain tasks in a timely fashion. Every time I talk to Lae'zel she's nagging at me to stop dawdling and get my butt moving to the creche because it's our only hope for a cure. Shadowheart tells me numerous times that we need to find a healer and it should be our top priority. Gale does too. Astarion as well. "We need to learn to control these things," he urges us. Wyll wants us to get our butts moving to kill the gobbos before it's too late, so that we can save the tieflings he cares about so much.
Shadowheart is just keep reminding you litteraly every option you have, even if that option is allready dead, and even if she refused it at first ... like Gut, or Gith creche, for examples.

I dont remember Gale talking about need to get rid of tadpole even once except that recruiting conversations and "go to hell" one ...

And Astarion mentiones it only when asked. That is hardly conciderable as "urging". laugh

I admit that Lae'zel is actualy urging you ...
But she also mention every time you ask her that symptoms should have started allready, wich once again can give you a little peace to ballance her urges.

Well, and Wyll dont seem to care at all.

All this said, I escape the nautiloid, land on a beach at the beginning of Day 1. I meet Shadowheart and kill devourers. 5 minutes, maybe 10, of actual adventuring. I'm told to Long Rest.
Why exactly you start to count your adventure from the middle? O_o
I dont expect you to rest right there on the beach, since you are so much against that "unnecesary resting" ... so, why exactly all that your character did since he ended on that beach is not counting?

However, I shouldn't HAVE to Long Rest there if I don't need to. If I have full health and spell slots or whatever
Once again im amazed with your roleplay immersion. :-/

Every time I play, if I don't End Day at that point or some time prior to fighting Marli and Barton in the ruins, I miss out on Gale's Mirror Image dialogue.
Yeah, we noticed ... you mention it in every single post, sometimes twice.

I'm going to adventure 20 minutes and rest 23 hours?
This is simply wrong ...
I presumed you would realize that if Druid's Grove actualy would be 15 minutes of walk (even if kinda fast walk) away from Goblins camp, they would probably not still searching it. laugh

So simmilar to that, you understandably and i would dare to say obviously cant take amount of real time gaming as "how long you spend amventuring". O_o

Shadowheart even tells you, if you rest at that point, that she's not sure it's a good idea.
She tells you this every single time, its unavoidable ...
Sometimes it seems like shadowheart at this points is disagreeing with you simply bcs you exists.

How much sleep and rest do my characters need?
I certainly hope for "less than 20 hours per day". smile laugh

That's what I mean by the game punishing good roleplaying.
Except its not good roleplaying ...
And except game is not punishing you ... you are punishing you and blame the game, that is desperately begging you to use this feature you ignoring. :-/

Or you could trigger multiple dialogues all in one night. I get to the Grove and meet Nettie without resting. I rest. Gale's Mirror Image dialogue is triggered. I talk to Shadowheart and get her "I'm not sure this is a good idea" speech. I talk to Astarion and get his beginning dialogues. I notice Gale has another exclamation mark over his head. I talk to him again and trigger the Go to Hell dialogue. I conclude by going to sleep and trigger Raphael's. Sure, it's a lot of dialogue all at once, but I did it to myself by not resting before then. At least I get to experience all the dialogue and character development.
This is finaly good sugestion ...

Or you can simply move some of them to another night.
Gales philosophy about the hells, have litteraly zero impact on any story, so i dont quite see any problem with this conversation happening one night later. O_o

2. Actually follow through with the story. If you tell me that within days goblins might attack, then make the goblins attack within days. Set a time limit. If they are going to attack within say 7 days from the time you enter the Grove, then after 7 Long Rests the goblins attack the Druid Camp. Same with the Druids and their ritual and Lae'zel being in your party and Wyll, etc. If you don't do things in a reasonable, timely fashion, it makes sense from a story perspective for things to happen because you weren't doing what you were told you should be doing. I'm not suggesting an unreasonable or difficult to meet time frame. Give the players time to still explore the whole map and have fun with it. I'm just saying it would put a limit on the number of times people use Long Rest so that they don't use it so much that it makes all the items you created practically worthless. Plus, it adds more possible endings to different scenarios and more flavor and choices to your gameplay. It adds more strategy too.
I would actualy like this ...
But many people dont. :-/

3. Add better rewards for those who do finish quests in a timely fashion, meaning with only using a certain number of Long Rests.
No, no, no and thousand times no!
This makes all you just said poor excuse to get another advantage.

Again, if I beat the hag without Long Resting, something I've never been able to do myself without complete and total luck, shoving her into a bottomless pit
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I should get better gear and gold than someone who fights the Red Caps, Long Rests, fights the Adventurers, Long Rests, and then fights the hag.
How exactly would you justify that? O_o
Hag was hiding some superspecial armor or huge amount of gold into that mud that is around her, and you just get there sooner than she was finished? laugh

Why is she even waiting around for you to come get her at that point?
Why not ... she is in her lair ...
From roleplay perspective you have litteraly no idea what was she doing before you get there.

Again, I think it would make more sense to do what one other player suggested and have Mayrina shipped off to another hag in Baldur's by that point. You can still fight the hag, but it's too late to save Mayrina if you don't rescue her quick enough.
Why would she?
She is in her lair, her own domain full of traps and minions ... she also quite clearly believe that you stand no chance against her ... and unless you tell on her, Marina is at her side.
Also
you would miss that conversation, when she offers you power up in exchange for Marina ... i think you dont like to miss conversations. laugh

So why exactly should she "shipp her off"?
And more importantly ... how? laugh

My point is to reward BETTER roleplaying.
Nope, your point is to reward YOUR roleplaying.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Don't even bother, they won't listening anyway.

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Street Hero
Don't even bother, they won't listening anyway.

Lol. You right. There's just no explaining some things to some people.

I give up. No matter how hard I try, I say ABC, they say !%×. Like 2 different languages.

If Larian doesn't understand what Im saying by this point...

And Larian is all that matters. I truly hope they take what I've suggested to heart. Would make BG3 a truly epic game.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Imma be a kid for a sec and fire back with the same weapon fallenj used.

Pretty sure this is more of a game for you...

DESERT BUS.[Linked Image from cdn.arstechnica.net]

Last edited by GM4Him; 22/03/21 12:17 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Any more snarky memes posted that suggest a poster plays a different game will be dealt with. It is belittling and insulting and will be treated as such.

fallenj and GM4Him; you can both consider yourself warned about your posting behaviour.

veteran
veteran

[...]

Yup, I also have posted many times in other threads here about being punished for choosing to not use the tadpole powers. As a good-inclined PC, I would NEVER opt to use the tadpole powers, and as a result significant chunks of the game are closed off to me with no offsetting compensation. It is ridiculously bad game design.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by kanisatha

[...]

Yup, I also have posted many times in other threads here about being punished for choosing to not use the tadpole powers. As a good-inclined PC, I would NEVER opt to use the tadpole powers, and as a result significant chunks of the game are closed off to me with no offsetting compensation. It is ridiculously bad game design.

You are actively making the choice not to use the tadpole, so not sure how you then think it is bad game design to not have the tadpole dreams or something? Also, why wouldn't a good inclined PC not use the tadpole? Just because you are good does not make you a saint, good people make bad (or possibly bad) choices all the time. I just seems very 1 dimensional of a "good" character to be that good. But if you make the ACTIVE choice of not partaking in a story event, you then can't blame the developers because you don't see the results of using said story event.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Any more snarky memes posted that suggest a poster plays a different game will be dealt with. It is belittling and insulting and will be treated as such.

fallenj and GM4Him; you can both consider yourself warned about your posting behaviour.

I apologize. I knew better and let his post get to me. I even called myself childish for it. I just get tired of my ideas being attacked like that. No excuse for it though. Shoulda been the bigger person.

A
addict
addict
A
There is nothing rewarding about the dream lover sequences, they are short and creepy (which is kind of the point). The powers might feel rewarding, but considering the limited information you can obtain in the game, this seems to be a "give into temptation now, regret it later" situation. In which case it would only bad game design if the devs never implement the negative consequences of tadpole usage.

Last edited by ash elemental; 22/03/21 05:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm fine with you not getting the dreams if you don't use the tadpole. It's reasonable. You decided to not risk using the tadpole; ergo the tadpole doesn't get a hold on your mind and you don't get the dreams. You do get a reward: not being corrupted, which I assume (hope) will be important in Acts 2+ of the game.

This is an entirely different situation than rushing to reach the Githyanki creche and not long-resting. There is NO benefit to speeding through the game without resting, only downsides. I can't imagine that in Act 2 it will matter how much time it took for you to reach Moonrise/Githyanki creche, as there is no indication that time or number of rests is being tracked.
Furthermore, the majority of the downsides to rushing don't actually make sense. Why must the companions only talk to us before a long rest? We could just as easily have conversations on the road or while short resting.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ash elemental
There is nothing rewarding about the dream lover sequences, they are short and creepy (which is kind of the point). The powers might feel rewarding, but considering the limited information you can obtain in the game, this seems to be a "give into temptation now, regret it later" situation. In which case it would only bad game design if the devs never implement the negative consequences of tadpole usage.

I'm torn now, actually. On the one hand, I get your point. I really do. It actually goes along with a lot of the other suggestions I'm trying to make about the game. Good roleplaying equals good results in the game. Not so good roleplaying equals negative, bad results in the game. So if we have negative results happen to the main character when they do the right thing and not use the tadpole powers, then what's the point of NOT using the powers? You're going to get negative results either way.

On the other hand, the dream sequences are creepy and add a certain flavor to the story. Giving the PC's more tadpole powers is also like the Dark Side of the Force tempting a person to use those powers to speed up whatever is happening to you. So the reason I gave this suggestion was for the following reasons:

1. It is pointless to even bother with the Dream Person during Character Creation if I'm never going to see them in my dreams.
2. Having the dream sequences regardless of your choices reminds the players that they do have a terrible thing still happening to them. Right now, we wouldn't have so many people arguing that there is no sense of urgency if their characters were actually transforming in some way as time progresses in the story.
3. There is still a reward for NOT using tadpole powers. The reward is that the dream sequences are further apart from one another, and you more slowly get tadpole powers. If you use the tadpole powers, you more quickly get the powers. I actually suspect that this is Larian's original intent anyway, but since we don't have Acts 2 and 3 yet, we don't see this slower progression if you don't use the powers. So this may be an invalid discussion anyway about whether or not the dream sequences ever get triggered at any point in the game.

I didn't particularly like the dream sequences in that, like you said, they are creepy. However, I did feel that they added a certain sense of, "Holy Crap! That was wrong, and I really need to step up my game or this thing is going to totally take me over." It at least intensified the story plot.

M
Banned
Banned
M
I'm using those tadpole powers like there is no tomorrow so I can see my sexy lady and bust some sweet juicy nuts, baby BABY!

P
addict
addict
P

Or even better, what if there were multiple tadpole story lines depending on the number of choices you make. That would be cool, rather than a) don't use tadpole = generic good ending...b) use tadpole = generic bad ending. I am hoping their story has multiple branches that lead to original endings.

A
addict
addict
A
I didn't particularly like the dream sequences in that, like you said, they are creepy. However, I did feel that they added a certain sense of, "Holy Crap! That was wrong, and I really need to step up my game or this thing is going to totally take me over." It at least intensified the story plot.
And I'd rather not get the dream sequences with every character. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to storytelling.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Pandemonica

Or even better, what if there were multiple tadpole story lines depending on the number of choices you make. That would be cool, rather than a) don't use tadpole = generic good ending...b) use tadpole = generic bad ending. I am hoping their story has multiple branches that lead to original endings.

EXACTLY!!!! Yay! Pandemonica. That is exactly what I've been trying to communicate to people. I'd love to have multiple endings not just good ending = save Halsin and kill gobbo leaders. Bad ending = Kill all Tieflings and Druids. That was my whole point in saying timed events would lead to multiple endings. Give more variety. After x number of Long Rests, gobbos attack. You can either help save the tieflings/druids or save Halsin while the army is away, etc. etc. etc.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
That is kinda your decision man ...
You could be moraly gray, yet good person, if you want ... simmilar to Wyll ... using potentialy "unpopular" power, to achieve greater good. :P

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian

lol I thought the desert bus was kind of funny. meh I'm done, I made my point multi times.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard