Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#766425 22/03/21 09:30 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi guys,

I'm not a regular reddit user especially because the game's mechanics aren't the most popular threads but I found 2 very interresting discussions, posts or whatever the name on reddit today.

Even if some people try to divide the communities and try to stygmatise the population of this forum... It looks like a lot of players on reddit have the same feelings about the game on some major issues, suggestions and feedback discussed here.

Feel free to upvote if you agree. I guess the most upvoted discussions have a special attention.

About combats issues :

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Don't forget to upvote the comment that talk about highground and backstab^^

About more ordinary companions :

Feel free to use this thread to create a link with the reddit community.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/03/21 09:42 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Nice, I actually don't go to reddit since I had very bad experience with fallout 76 community their.

Thanks for sharing.

veteran
veteran
there's a weird disconnect though. I see the 2nd post was highly upvoted and yet a lot of the comments are defending the companions. It's almost as if there's a silent group of upvoters that agree with the OP but they're not actually part of the conversation

enthusiast
enthusiast
I upvoted the topic and I love the companions. I upvoted cause I found the discussion interesting and fun. U are projecting a lot there, mate.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Couldn't we like the companions and at the same time hope for more ordinary companions ?

This thread is not about "ordinary origin characters".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/03/21 03:26 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
It was going to happen eventually. It's hard for posts like that to gain traction with all the fanart being posted.

I think it's a fair statement to say a lot of players would like to see combat improved. And it will be refreshing when we finally get our "good" alignment characters.

veteran
veteran
I for one think a growing camp following of non-"heroic" people is a very interesting idea. Even if they come and go with side quest content, or map location.

addict
addict
Must've been hard finding these posts among all the memes, fanart and Astarion simping there. I made a post about changing combat to be more in line with D&D and got around 50/50 upvotes, though more of the comments were positive in the sense that they thouht combat was too similar to DOS.

S
addict
addict
S
Interesting. Maybe the early polls on Reddit and this forum where a majority seemed happy with the homebrew is a bit misleading. On the other hand, critics are likely more vocal and thus may give the impression of being more numerous than they in reality are. But at least they, in my not so humble opinion, seem more analytical and have considerably better arguments for their views, and seem to consider the cheese a larger negative than the "fun-crowd" find it a plus. And I expect this will become more true as the cheese gets old. And stinky lol.

Hopefully Larian will dial back this and give us something that considers D&D material first. Most if not all of Larian homebrew have any number of D&D alternatives and fun can so easily be had without making gameplay/balancing a joke.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Interesting. Maybe the early polls on Reddit and this forum where a majority seemed happy with the homebrew is a bit misleading. On the other hand, critics are likely more vocal and thus may give the impression of being more numerous than they in reality are. But at least they, in my not so humble opinion, seem more analytical and have considerably better arguments for their views, and seem to consider the cheese a larger negative than the "fun-crowd" find it a plus. And I expect this will become more true as the cheese gets old. And stinky lol.

Hopefully Larian will dial back this and give us something that considers D&D material first. Most if not all of Larian homebrew have any number of D&D alternatives and fun can so easily be had without making gameplay/balancing a joke.
If anything I'd say the GoG scores reveal that the reception is not that positive. I wouldn't call 3.8/5 "stellar".

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Danielbda
If anything I'd say the GoG scores reveal that the reception is not that positive. I wouldn't call 3.8/5 "stellar".

That matches Reddit's poll pretty accurately:

D&D 5e rules implementation: 65% scored it 7 or above on a scale of 1 to 10. Median 6.7.
Larian's homebrew: 59% scored it 7 or above. Median 6.5.

While certainly not stellar, this indicates most respondents are fine with the cheese. I would like to see a new poll now that people have more experience with the system and might have seen the arguments against excessive cheese. Ultimately though, as I said in my previous post, I suspect the people who rate this high is not very analytical minded.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
What's up on reddit today ?

BG3's sub is on fire ! But it really looks interresting and for once... Constructive ! Looks like many agree on many things, finally !

[Linked Image from zupimages.net]

Shouldn't be :

Should be :

I hope Larian will hear us for a better game and a 10/10 Baldur's Gate 3.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/04/21 05:52 PM.

addict
addict
Usually these posts would get buried in fan art. There might just be slow down in fan art being made xD

I've been confident that most gamers on reddit would have similar opinions to gamers on the forum. It's nice to have that theory validated.

old hand
old hand
Yeah I never care about Reddit but seeing how the thread on proper DnD 5th implementation blew up made me extremely happy smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Usually these posts would get buried in fan art. There might just be slow down in fan art being made xD

I've been confident that most gamers on reddit would have similar opinions to gamers on the forum. It's nice to have that theory validated.

I'm not often on reddit and I created my account when Wargaming was developping Total War Arena. Years ago, and for a very short time^^
I only go there sometimes to see BG3's subs and I really thought that the majority did not care about the broken combat mechanics.

Usually every threads I saw talking about advantages and cheese and so on were downvoted.
I'm glad to see that the "silent majority" seems to agree with those some would call here "the vocal minority".

Looks like I was wrong about reddit even if I don't really understand what happened^^

veteran
veteran
Yeah, you're right the discussion is interesting. I'm bit baffled. Usually any discussion of mechanics and/or constructive criticism gets shut down immediately on that forum. Not sure why the winds have shifted.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
What's up on reddit today ?

BG3's sub is on fire ! But it really looks interresting and for once... Constructive ! Looks like many agree on many things, finally !

[Linked Image from zupimages.net]

Shouldn't be :

Should be :

I hope Larian will hear us for a better game and a 10/10 Baldur's Gate 3.

I see you dropping that downvote.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
No problem^^

To be honnest it's more about what's said than the title itself.
I don't care if the game is not exactly like D&D... I'm not a TT player so no one can call me a purist.

I had to learn the TT rules to really understand what it was about and I had played BG3 a lot but it's my conclusion : I really think the game would be a better RPG if it was closer to D&D.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/04/21 07:29 PM.

addict
addict
To put the reddit post in perspective, we are talking about the views of <0.0005 of the ( assumed ) current player base.

I think a game that caters for all tastes would be better, not just one minority viewpoint or another. Promoting features that appeal to one's own preferences is normal human behaviour. Simultaneously attempting to demote features that others prefer is a less appealing trait, wherever it arises.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Yeah, you're right the discussion is interesting. I'm bit baffled. Usually any discussion of mechanics and/or constructive criticism gets shut down immediately on that forum. Not sure why the winds have shifted.

Replaying the game multiple times in the same environment will naturally force people to start analyzing exactly why they're playing the way they are. That community formerly shut down any real discussion on the topic by gaslighting all criticism as 'lol Larian haters' beforehand, which has only resulted in this sentiment silently stewing in the background, especially as Larian continues to insist on treating the EA period as a sandbox to test a few changes at a time. So now everyone who recognizes that there's long term issues with the current systems (that more and more people by the day are becoming naturally familiar with to an extreme level by now due to the nature of how the EA is designed) have congregated in a well-written thread in large numbers and making well-reasoned arguments, where the gaslighting portion of the community can't do what they usually do without facing retaliation and getting downvoted into oblivion.

This was inevitable. I think the most interesting part is that while there's a lot of people who recognizes that there are issues, there's some disagreement on exactly which issue negatively impacts the experience the most. You have people talking about jump, height advantage, field effects, and backstab, when I personally think they're all linked together.

DOS was a game where you could discover new tactical options with each subsequent playthrough. BG3 so far just shows you different layers of cheese in comparison. Detractors will only grow more in number for that exact reason.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/04/21 12:11 AM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard