Page 1 of 2 1 2
#766397 22/03/21 07:16 PM
M
Matrick Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
during my turn i can swing my greatsword for my action.. then open inventory and equip 2 one handed weapons.. close inventory.. and off-hand attack with my bonus action. idk anything about DnD, but something tells me this shouldn't be allowed

G
addict
addict
G
Definitely not, for multiple reasons.

Here are the rules for two-weapon fighting from 5e:
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.
A greatsword is not a light weapon and most characters can't hold one in one hand.

Also, you only get one free object interaction (such as drawing or stowing a single weapon) per turn:
You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack.

If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action. Some magic items and other special objects always require an action to use, as stated in their descriptions.
So you could draw a single new weapon for free, but not two (without the Dual Wielder feat, which specifically allows this). Also, you wouldn't be able to stow your greatsword - you'd have to just drop it on the ground and hope it's still there when you come back to collect it.

Edit: If you started your turn holding a shortsword, you should be able to attack, draw another light weapon in your other hand, and make an offhand attack all in one turn, though.

Last edited by grysqrl; 22/03/21 07:25 PM.
veteran
veteran
Don't forget to take back your 1H+shield after you used your bonus action. +2AC during your ennemie's turns is not that bad.... smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/03/21 07:36 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Don't forget to take back your 1H+shield after you used your bonus action. +2AC during your ennemie's turns is not that bad.... smile

..... and send that greatsword to the next companion so he/she can use it at her/his turn. Like a round-robin kind of thing.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
veteran
veteran
BG3 Where a party of four fighters can all use one single magic rare +2 sword just by tossing it to each other at the end of each of their turns.... it's pretty ridiculous and in no-way indicative of actual D&D.

That said, I could imagine an amusing movie adaptation that makes that exact joke, of the party throwing weapons to each other at just the right moments, in the middle of tense combat...

veteran
veteran
Equipment change should not be allowed during combat, as it is in almost every other game.

If someone if you is good with making images, you can add the weapon throwing to the BG3 memes.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Oh lord... you can even do these things? -_-

addict
addict
Its this kind of stuff that really gets to me from Larian. Incredibly basic NO BRAINER mechanics. D^D has it, previous BG games has it, as well as most similar games. Weapon/armor swapping during combat should at the very least come with some kind of downside. Restrictions makes Crpg games more interesting and fun. you know, like have a priest spells just for priests classes, a wizard spell book just for wizards classes....My opinion anyways.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 23/03/21 11:10 AM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Larians Engine is Real-Time and this is the default configuration.
Its the same with Sneaky people outside combat etc. ...
Its a Bug/Feature when you dont make clear seperations between Turn und Real Time mode.

S
addict
addict
S

But...legal exploits are "fun" guys! If you don't like it, don't use it! laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seraphael

Interesting, for you fun seems to be entering the inventory every few seconds to change equipment.
For me this gets annoying fast. Thats why I try to avoid it.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Madscientist

Interesting, for you fun seems to be entering the inventory every few seconds to change equipment.

I guess Seraphael's answer was as sarcastic as mine smile

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
M
M
Originally Posted by Madscientist

I guess Seraphael's answer was as sarcastic as mine smile
That's what happens if you don't use /s on the internet.

old hand
old hand
Nah it was pretty obvious that was sarcasm. +1 Seraphael

Originally Posted by Niara
BG3 Where a party of four fighters can all use one single magic rare +2 sword just by tossing it to each other at the end of each of their turns.... it's pretty ridiculous and in no-way indicative of actual D&D.

That said, I could imagine an amusing movie adaptation that makes that exact joke, of the party throwing weapons to each other at just the right moments, in the middle of tense combat...

It's the combat equivalent of the dinner cleaning scene in the Hobbit movie adaption

Originally Posted by Matrick
during my turn i can swing my greatsword for my action.. then open inventory and equip 2 one handed weapons.. close inventory.. and off-hand attack with my bonus action. idk anything about DnD, but something tells me this shouldn't be allowed

You've missed the best part though. After you've done that you can equip a shield befire you end your turn for a +2 to AC during all your enemies' attacks.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Yes, there are definitely things that Larian needs to restrict in here. :P I'm sure they are working on it.

Such as all inventory, other than potions and scrolls can be used in battle, before your action, and only potions and scrolls (that require a bonus action) can be used when you just have a bonus action left. Once action and bonus action have been used, inventory should be locked.

As it shows in your character screen, you can only have 1 melee and one ranged weapon equipped, which is a free action to switch back and forth. Any other weapon which is in your inventory would require a bonus action to switch out with the one already equipped. That would solve the problem with OP's situation. smile

Food should only be able to be consumed outside of battle. It takes you longer than 6 seconds to eat an apple or a loaf of bread after all. :P

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vortex138
Yes, there are definitely things that Larian needs to restrict in here. :P I'm sure they are working on it.
Oh boy, I was optimistic like you once.

Last edited by Danielbda; 23/03/21 08:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Then they allowed us to eat mushroom for free because...
You know, eating a pig head cost a bonus action so eating a mushroom should be faster ! grin

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/03/21 09:27 PM.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Then they allowed us to eat mushroom for free because...
You know, eating a pig head cost a bonus action so eating a mushroom should be faster ! grin

On a side note...during DOS2 EA did people complain about this? (free weapons switching during combat, food...?). Or was it already implemented like now (takes action to use).?

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 24/03/21 05:12 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Matrick
something tells me this shouldn't be allowed

Well, I'm really not perturbed by the possibility of this weapon-swapping exploit. Like I'm not bothered by barrelmancy in the slightest.

Because it is far from being trivially accessible, and in fact requires a certain effort to execute. And it does't feel like the game makes it mandatory to use. So I feel it's one of those few cases where "if you don't like it, don't use" actually applies well. This is very different from Backstab, which is one click away, or High-Ground, which forces your hand because enemies will run for it if you don't occupy it.

Larian loves giving players ways to abuse the game. Some players are bound to like it too. At best, they could implement an option that allows players to customise their experience and disable equipment change in combat (as well as inventory swaps, etc).

But I'd rather have Larian focus on more fundamental issues first (like the controls, among many), and keep this kind of customisation option for the end of Early Access.

S
addict
addict
S
Food should only be able to be consumed outside of battle. It takes you longer than 6 seconds to eat an apple or a loaf of bread after all. :P

Definitely, but this still fails to address the larger issue. With unlimited rest and a large supply of healing items, attrition is no longer a balancing factor. You can be full health/power every encounter. Larian actually uses individual boredom threshold as a balancing mechanic, which is atrocious game design.

Even if resting mechanics were unbroken and the healing food items somewhat balanced to only work outside combat, they would still be "unimmersively magical". Yet another of many cheesy features that belittles both D&D and makes a joke of the game. It would also contribute to more annoying inventory clutter and micromanagement.

Larian could avoid this by abstracting the healing process. For instance by giving players/all biological entities a slow innate regeneration, or possibly make slow regeneration a passive Tadpole-power, or by having one food item be enough to start this slow regeneration (but eating more wouldn't speed up the regeneration). Larian could do well to remember the principle of KISS (keep it simple stupid) to reduce their needlessly convoluted homebrew mechanics/features that seem to take precedence over the already complex D&D system.

Last edited by Seraphael; 24/03/21 10:16 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard