Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I really love a ton about Baldur’s Gate 3. The world, the characters, the story, etc…. The one area I struggle with is the combat. I want to experiment in combat and try the variety of skills/spells my characters have, but I shy away from this because it can very easily lead to a party wipe and a save reload if a spell/skill does not act the way I thought it would. The difficulty of the encounters is turned up pretty hide and I always need to follow the same formula…. barrels, sneak, high ground, attack with my most powerful combination. I don’t bother doing a lot of experimentation because the cost of something not working out is so high. Combat encounters can last a long time. It isn’t like a typical action game where if you mess up you respawn right where you left off. If you are at the tail end of a fight that you already spend 30 minutes on you don’t want to experiment and have to restart the whole encounter. This really discourages experimentation. It would be great to have an option, which is disabled by default, that users could choose to enable which would allow you to rewind to just before your last player character’s combat turn, so if something goes really wrong you can try it again. It has the same end effect of reloading a save except you don’t have to re-do a 30 minute combat encounter to try new skills. Yes, you can before any of your characters takes their turn, so you can reload but this is a pain in the neck, easily forgotten, and reloading can take more than a full minute. I think having a rewind option would be super helpful for new users and even for those of us who have beaten the game a couple of times and just want to try new things. It should be optional and it should be a combat only feature, so story related items you are still at the mercy of RNG, so your adventure can take you down different paths. Having this also makes the current bugs in the game less painful. When the game flakes out and skips my characters turn for no reason or fires an arrow instead of the spell I selected I can just rewind that. Again, I think it should be optional, so folks who do not like save scumming don’t need to use the feature. It could even be something you only have for a single act and is not allowed in multi-player games. But, I would love to experiment more with the cool things which exist in the game.

veteran
veteran
I think this would be a good add as an option. Yes. Maybe they could implement this as part of a Difficulty set.

So, if I choose Story Mode Difficulty or Exploration Mode Difficulty, or something like that, I have the ability to Undo my last combat action. This would be for players who are just learning the game and need to be able to experiment, as you say.

I really think Larian would put to rest a lot of issues with gameplay if they focused on Difficulty settings. Give players who want die hard D&D 5e ruleset their ability to play using absolute strict D&D 5e ruleset. Give players who want to focus more on story and less on rules the ability to do so. Give players who want a more relaxed, casual, exploration gameplay the ability to do so, etc.

This game requires a much more robust Tutorial. I think there should even be a Tutorial Mode that you can play that provides you with strategy tips even as you continue beyond the Dank Crypt, etc. As you are playing, the game points out certain things you could do to make each scenario easier. Example: You are about to face the Red Caps during the hag scene. Tutorial Mode provides a tip saying, "Don't use your spells as much on this fight unless you have to. This is not the boss fight. You will face the hag later." Another Example: Tutorial states, "This enemy has high defense. If you maneuver behind this individual, it is easier to hit them. Try to get your characters behind the enemy if at all possible."

This would go a LONG way.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I think both of your suggestions (tying the rewind to exploration/easy difficulty and adding a tutorial) are great. I think BG3 and other games like it don't get the audience they should because the learning curve for them is just so steep. I think if you provided the tools to aid learning and experimentation you would attract/retain more new players to the genre. This is good for game developers because it is added revenue and great for players because the more money these types of games make the more of these types of games we will get.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by FireyWarAxe
I think both of your suggestions (tying the rewind to exploration/easy difficulty and adding a tutorial) are great. I think BG3 and other games like it don't get the audience they should because the learning curve for them is just so steep. I think if you provided the tools to aid learning and experimentation you would attract/retain more new players to the genre. This is good for game developers because it is added revenue and great for players because the more money these types of games make the more of these types of games we will get.

I feel like a choir member in a church right now. AMEN! PREACH IT, BROTHER/SISTER! laugh

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Good lord, paragraphs please.

Anyway I'd love to see this but I imagine actually implementing it would be difficult.

I'd prefer to see a "fast mode" which cut down animations and drastically increased the speed of combat. It would have a bigger impact and probably take less time to implement. If combats take 5 minutes rather than 50 then experimentation is a lot easier too.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I thought about proposing this as well, however, if you have "fast mode" the RNG would not be the same for the combat and you may not end up with the situation you wanted to experiment with. I see where you are going with this, but you may end up with a very different situation.

S
addict
addict
S
great ideas here. can only give a +1

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1 , an option to Ctrl+z after occasional mistakes would be so satisfying as for the moment I often stop playing because I don't want to reload an earlier save because of a stupid mistake I make in one of the longer battles such as the goblin camp.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
+1 , an option to Ctrl+z after occasional mistakes would be so satisfying as for the moment I often stop playing because I don't want to reload an earlier save because of a stupid mistake I make in one of the longer battles such as the goblin camp.

I also get frustrated when I accidentally target one of my own party members and kill them with a Critical Hit because they are right next to an enemy and I WAS targeting the enemy but for some reason just before I clicked the mouse button the cursor shifted onto my party member. VERY frustrating!

Same with random walls or items or whatever in the area. If I accidentally shift my cursor just a little, I hit the dumb obstacle as opposed to the enemy I'm aiming for. I'd like to take back such moves please. At least give me the option to be able to do so in the Options menu.

Link Copied to Clipboard