Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 33 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 32 33
veteran
veteran
Eh I'm not a fan of slowing things down for reactions. The game is turn based, so it should stick with turn based and not add psuedo Quick Time Events. In a turn-based system, I expect to be able to leave my computer at any point, and come back not having missed any opportunities.

I'd prefer that time froze and a pop-up window appeared asking "do you wish to use [reaction]?"

old hand
old hand
Tbt is turn based but if you take to long to use your reaction you lose it :P

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Eh I'm not a fan of slowing things down for reactions. The game is turn based, so it should stick with turn based and not add psuedo Quick Time Events. In a turn-based system, I expect to be able to leave my computer at any point, and come back not having missed any opportunities.

I'd prefer that time froze and a pop-up window appeared asking "do you wish to use [reaction]?"

I guess if they can slow down and add a timed popup... They can easily pause this moment and freeze the game until you click that popup.

My fear with a pause is that it would be like... In Solasta. I love this game but those pause appear more than once on every turns. I can deal with it but I don't think lots of players would like this.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/03/21 05:59 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I guess if they can slow down and add a timed popup... They can easily pause this moment and freeze the game until you click that popup.

My fear with a pause is that it would be like... In Solasta. I love this game but those pause appear more than once on every turns. I can deal with it but I don't think lots of players would like this.
I hear you, and that's why it should be an option like others have said. You can choose either toggle reactions or pop-up reactions. I suppose Larian could also add a third QTE option, but if I had to choose between pop-up or QTE I definitely choose pop-up.
I like the pop ups in Solasta. They only get to be slightly too much when you have a Paladin plus characters with the Protection fighting style.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I hear you, and that's why it should be an option like others have said. You can choose either toggle reactions or pop-up reactions. I suppose Larian could also add a third QTE option, but if I had to choose between pop-up or QTE I definitely choose pop-up.
I like the pop ups in Solasta. They only get to be slightly too much when you have a Paladin plus characters with the Protection fighting style.

Even then I think it's fine, I love the options. I truly hope they implement OPTIONS for it! =)

addict
addict
(...)

The reason you see many pop-up questions in Solasta is because it is *not* only for Reactions.
If you play a Paladin, every hit ask you if you wish to smite. It is too much.

Reaction options are more rare : Shield spell, Batte Master Riposte, and a few rare others. For many parties, there will be no Reaction options, so no pop-up: just a standard Attack of opportunity (once per round, so there is a choice there if many enemies are in reach).

Last edited by Baraz; 15/03/21 12:16 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Baraz
(...)

The reason you see many pop-up questions in Solasta is because it is *not* only for Reactions.

Reaction options are more rare : Shield spell, Batte Master Riposte, and a few rare others. For many parties, there will be no Reaction options, so no pop-up: just a standard Attack of opportunity (once per round, so there is a choice there if many enemies are in reach).

Yeah true, the popups are for much more than just reactions, which I *LOVE* as it gives you more options, all the time! I love CONTROL. I would like to at least have the OPTIONS of that much control in BG3.

enthusiast
enthusiast
With how the system is set up at the moment, where class is basically meaningless because of massive unbalance issues and homebrew gimmicks it wouldn't contribute much. They would have to start making an actual D&D game first and forget about the whole DOS reskins.

Solasta is the poor man's Pathfinder atm and this is still DOS3.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/03/21 04:12 PM.
veteran
veteran
Woah woah woah, I never said that thing you're all quoting me on! That was @Maximuuus, who I was quoting.

I have 0 fear that a pause like this would be like in Solasta. I love Solasta and the pop ups and think that BG3 should be more like Solasta, at least in how reactions are implemented.

Also the protection fighting style. My playthroughs have involved 2 fighters/paladins, which means I often get 2 "Do you wish to impose disadvantage?" prompts every turn. And even with that + Smite, I'd rather have the pop-ups than toggle reactions that proc on the first opportunity.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Woah woah woah, I never said that thing you're all quoting me on! That was @Maximuuus, who I was quoting.

I have 0 fear that a pause like this would be like in Solasta. I love Solasta and the pop ups and think that BG3 should be more like Solasta, at least in how reactions are implemented.

Also the protection fighting style. My playthroughs have involved 2 fighters/paladins, which means I often get 2 "Do you wish to impose disadvantage?" prompts every turn. And even with that + Smite, I'd rather have the pop-ups than toggle reactions that proc on the first opportunity.

Exactly!!! The OPTION is amazing to have!!! MORE CONTROL!!!

veteran
veteran

Looks like you're the bad guy !!

Anyway yes definitely, I said it many times in this thread. Proper reactions are necessary, this is something I totally want in BG3 and this is a real opportunity to improve the TB system to something a bit less static/a bit more dynamic.

This toggle ON/OFF doesn't make sense to manage one of our (re)action/round.

On the other hand I'd like something a bit less intrusive and/or a bit faster than in Solasta if possible. Something a bit closer to real time or something that won't freeze the TB again.

Maybe a small popup time limited while the action is slowing down a bit or something...

I don't know, I don't have a real good suggestion in mind but I hope something even better could be done.

Of course I'd like frozen popup like in Solasta way more than what we have now.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/03/21 06:45 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I don't like the reaction pop up windows in Solasta. They kill the flow of combat. I've also never missed a reaction mechanic in BG, NWN or any other crpg. Those games play better without constant interruptions or the tedium of having to toggle reactions on and off trying to guess how things will play out.

There's a simple solution to this in BG3. Bonus Actions. Larian have already converted many Actions into Bonus Actions because they feel players need more to do during a turn. So... convert Reactions into Bonus Actions.

E.g. Shield -> Bonus Action spell, +5 AC for 3 turns. AoO's can be automatic. Riposte can also be activated as a Bonus Action and be "active" until discharged. Active is the key word in using abilities rather than the passive toggles you forget about.

Last edited by 1varangian; 24/03/21 08:40 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I don't like the reaction pop up windows in Solasta. They kill the flow of combat. I've also never missed a reaction mechanic in BG, NWN or any other crpg. Those games play better without constant interruptions or the tedium of having to toggle reactions on and off trying to guess how things will play out.

There's a simple solution to this in BG3. Bonus Actions. Larian have already converted many Actions into Bonus Actions because they feel players need more to do during a turn. So... convert Reactions into Bonus Actions.

E.g. Shield -> Bonus Action spell, +5 AC for 3 turns. AoO's can be automatic. Riposte can also be activated as a Bonus Action and be "active" until discharged. Active is the key word in using abilities rather than the passive toggles you forget about.

Kind of wonder how NwN 1 & 2 did AoO, been way way to long. Was it like a passive and it just happened or did it not even make it to the game?

Last edited by fallenj; 24/03/21 09:06 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj

Kind of wonder how NwN 1 & 2 did AoO, been way way to long. Was it like a passive and it just happened or did it not even make it to the game?
It just happens automatically at the first opportunity. That covers 99% of the cases. I never felt the need to pick the feat that gives you more AoO's.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj

It just happens automatically at the first opportunity. That covers 99% of the cases. I never felt the need to pick the feat that gives you more AoO's.

Interesting, I know that was a popular feat for my pnp group back in the day. Video game wise, don't know, guess I can see it not being as useful.

Last edited by fallenj; 24/03/21 11:53 AM.
veteran
veteran
Its been ages since I played NWN1+2. I can tell AoO happened automatically but I am not sure if you could have more than one.

In Pathfinder Kingmaker there is a feat that allows you to have more than one AoO per round. (combat relexes).
WotR has it too, plus a mystic feat to get more AoO.
It makes sense to use this feat:
- When standing close to an archer you get an AoO for every shot they make unless they have a feat to avoid this.
- Several of your chars have outflank and/or seize the moment. When somebody makes a crit against an enemy, all other chars get an AoO against that enemy. If the AoO is a crit it can lead to a long chain of attacks.
Should the enemy still be alive after this, the next char can get a crit with the regular attack, starting a new crit chain.

But DnD 5E has different rules ( I am not an expert, please correct me when I am wrong)
- Shooting while being close to an enemy gives disadvantage, not AoO
- You have only one reaction and AoO are not the only possible reaction.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Its been ages since I played NWN1+2. I can tell AoO happened automatically but I am not sure if you could have more than one.

In Pathfinder Kingmaker there is a feat that allows you to have more than one AoO per round. (combat relexes).
WotR has it too, plus a mystic feat to get more AoO.
It makes sense to use this feat:
- When standing close to an archer you get an AoO for every shot they make unless they have a feat to avoid this.
- Several of your chars have outflank and/or seize the moment. When somebody makes a crit against an enemy, all other chars get an AoO against that enemy. If the AoO is a crit it can lead to a long chain of attacks.
Should the enemy still be alive after this, the next char can get a crit with the regular attack, starting a new crit chain.

I'm presuming NwN 1 had Improved AoO feat which let you do 1 AoO per person leaving your square. But my knowledge of the feat comes from 3.5 and that would be NwN 2 since NwN 1 was 3.0

oop maybe it was called combat reflexes.

Edit* Ya it is, didn't bother getting the actual books, found it here: dandwiki NwN 1 doesn't have this feat but has two feats to get away from AoO.

Originally Posted by Madscientist
But DnD 5E has different rules ( I am not an expert, please correct me when I am wrong)
- Shooting while being close to an enemy gives disadvantage, not AoO
- You have only one reaction and AoO are not the only possible reaction.

d&d 5e freebe pdf, Ranged Attacks, Page 76 (you can download it off d&dbeyond some where on the site)

Range
You can make ranged attacks only against targets within
a specified range.
If a ranged attack, such as one made with a spell, has a
single range, you can’t attack a target beyond this range.
Some ranged attacks, such as those made with a longbow
or a shortbow, have two ranges. The smaller number
is the normal range, and the larger number is the long
range. Your attack roll has disadvantage when your target
is beyond normal range, and you can’t attack a target
beyond the long range.

Ranged Attacks in Close Combat
Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe
is next to you. When you make a ranged attack with a
weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have
disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile
creature who can see you and who isn’t incapacitated.

Reaction Page 73
Certain special abilities, spells, and situations allow you
to take a special action called a reaction. A reaction is
an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can
occur on your turn or on someone else’s. The opportunity
attack, described later in this chapter, is the most common type of reaction.
When you take a reaction, you can’t take another one
until the start of your next turn. If the reaction interrupts
another creature’s turn, that creature can continue its
turn right after the reaction.

Last edited by fallenj; 24/03/21 01:53 PM.
veteran
veteran

Knee-jerk reaction: I hate this suggestion.

But honestly, if Larian is going to keep in all their other homebrewed bonus actions (jump+disengage, eat, probably dodge, Land druids' wild shape, hide, dip, shove), then it wouldn't be the worst idea to change some reactions to bonus actions. At the very least, doing this will prevent you from always using Larian's overpowered bonus actions. I'd still prefer pop-up reactions, at least as an option.

3 things to consider
--If these abilities do cost a bonus (or standard) action to use, then maybe they shouldn't use up your reaction as you've already spent the cost to activate them.
--If these abilities still do use your reaction (and are either a bonus or a free-action to "activate"), then you should have some ability to choose targets to react to so you don't waste your reaction. E.g., Protection Fighting Style: you select a nearby ally, and if that ally is attacked you impose disadvantage. This prevents you from wasting it on a Tank who probably wouldn't be hit anyway.
--I don't actually trust Larian to balance things properly if they make these changes. See all their homebrewed bonus actions and their thoughts why players don't like Bless, not considering how their surfaces and height/backstab advantage affect the usefulness of a concentration +1d4 to-hit spell.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Making reactions into "bonus actions" is a terrible idea. It just seems best and easiest to me to implement a reaction system similar to that in Solasta, AS AN OPTION, and then people can make their own choices when they create a new game.

addict
addict
(...)

Shield as a bonus action lasting 3 turns would be a significant buff. However I would still like to use spells as reactions.

I think most reactions wouldn't be an issue. Divine Smite might be awkward as it can come up frequently, but it's not really a reaction anyway. Jeremy Crawford's input, you can Divine Smite on an Opportunity Attack.

It could work as a "prepped" reaction, similar to how Hellish Rebuke is represented now. The player would prepare Divine Smite, and if the next attack connects the spell slot is spent and Divine Smite is applied.

As I've posted earlier reaction spells should work as reactions, Hellish Rebuke, Shield, Feather Fall, etc. It's nice to have engagement on the enemies turn. Auto-opportunity-attack is fine, since the enemy never gives the player an opportunity attack. (However if a character has reaction spells, or other reactions they should be asked if they want to use their opportunity attack.)

As I've mentioned before, if the character has Hellish Rebuke and available spell slots they should get true reactions. With how potent shove is, being able to react with Feather Fall would be great.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 25/03/21 12:57 AM.
Page 10 of 33 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard