Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I tried to just cast misty step, which is a bonus action, and enemies still managed to land AOO on me, why? I wasn't even moving. Sometimes, AOO even seems to interrupt my actions. Like if I choose to approach someone and attack, THEY get an AOO, which they shouldn't even get in the first place, and once they have hit my character, my characters attack does not even happen.

veteran
veteran
The game's UI is deliberately set against you and goes out of its way to sabotage your actions.

Misty step is a good example - You'll highlight somewhere with Misty Step, and it'll tell you that it's a valid destination... but what it doesn't explicitly warn you about is that back where your character is it's determined that the correct way to do what you're asking is to walk two steps away from the nearby enemy, then teleport... so you click to do it, and presto, you take an OA.

Even something as simple as 'move around to the other side of this enemy', if you simply try to do it in one go, will *Usually* result in the game deciding that what you want/need to do is walk away from the enemy, provoke an OA, then walk back in close to them on the other side.

The control UI is actively your enemy in this game and you have to fight it, non-stop, to do what should be simple.

In terms of enemies getting OAs at incorrect times, this is a bug in the system that they've still not managed to correct, and it's worth reporting with their bug form whenever you can give them something substantiated or replicatable. The most common way this shows up is moving away from something, and it only realising later that it could take an OA, sometimes as late as the next action. The later it goes before triggering, the more chance of it canceling and negating what you did between then and now. Again, whenever you have this happen in away you can replicate with a quick load, it's very much worth sending them the file with the formal bug form.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah, seems you're completely right about these things. Certainly hoping these things will be fixed/changed!

addict
addict
I just want to add a few notes here, very quick for now.

- We can easily incur Opportunity Attacks when using Disengage (an absurdity that has been mentioned many times elsewhere), and this post adds Misty Step to the list of supposedly safe ways to get out of melee that are implemented poorly at the moment.

- There's also the problem of auto-pathing around enemies, as noted by Niara.

- When am I in melee range ? I often don't know because what the game shows me, i.e. the position circles under the creatures, is not the same as what the game uses for determining OA, and more generally whether a given creature can pass between another two, along another one, jump and land there, etc. We are given bad information.

- Do I suffer an OA if I move away ? Usually I can tell, thanks to the red arrow. But it is a lot harder to see under large creatures (Worgs, Orgres). Possibly because the red arrow has constant length, regardless of the creature size.

- Finally, there's the issue that when our characters receive an OA, after auto-moving because they were given a command that used an Action or Bonus Action, they interrupt their movement and their task but the resource spent (Action or Bonus Action) is sometimes lost, sometimes not. It should be never.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

- We can easily incur Opportunity Attacks when using Disengage (an absurdity that has been mentioned many times elsewhere), and this post adds Misty Step to the list of supposedly safe ways to get out of melee that are implemented poorly at the moment.

- When am I in melee range ? I often don't know because what the game shows me, i.e. the position circles under the creatures, is not the same as what the game uses for determining OA, and more generally whether a given creature can pass between another two, along another one, jump and land there, etc. We are given bad information.

- Do I suffer an OA if I move away ? Usually I can tell, thanks to the red arrow. But it is a lot harder to see under large creatures (Worgs, Orgres). Possibly because the red arrow has constant length, regardless of the creature size.

- Finally, there's the issue that when our characters receive an OA, after auto-moving because they were given a command that used an Action or Bonus Action, they interrupt their movement and their task but the resource spent (Action or Bonus Action) is sometimes lost, sometimes not. It should be never.
Good list. I'll add a couple things that I remember from patches 1-3.

- Is it still true that the distance at which we are "Threatened" (disadvantage to ranged attacks) is NOT the same as the distance that provokes AoO? These two should be equivalent. Then, you could simply check if your character is threatened rather than looking for the AoO arrow.

- There used to be a bug where sometimes if you approached a monster (which should never provoke), it would take an AoO and ~always cause you to lose your action. Has this been fixed yet?
---- Maybe this is the same as @Niara's "enemies getting OAs at incorrect times...[you] moving away from something, and it only realising later that it could take an OA."

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

Good list. I'll add a couple things that I remember from patches 1-3.

- Is it still true that the distance at which we are "Threatened" (disadvantage to ranged attacks) is NOT the same as the distance that provokes AoO? These two should be equivalent. Then, you could simply check if your character is threatened rather than looking for the AoO arrow.

- There used to be a bug where sometimes if you approached a monster (which should never provoke), it would take an AoO and ~always cause you to lose your action. Has this been fixed yet?
---- Maybe this is the same as @Niara's "enemies getting OAs at incorrect times...[you] moving away from something, and it only realising later that it could take an OA."

Yeah the old issues seem to still be there, as I even mentioned in the original post.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Yeah the old issues seem to still be there, as I even mentioned in the original post.
Oh oops, yeah you did mention that. Well, just consider my post a +1 then. Plus the whole "threatened" not equaling "in melee range" thing.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Yeah the AoO as is right now is heavily slanted to the AI baddies. Mine seems to never go off. Creatures just run swing and walk away my ranger sits there and does nothing. Also the changing of attack style between ranged and melee and dropping the dual wield is a bit annoying. I know its early access but having to save and reload a combat many times because of wonky AI really sucks. Plus my characters seem to critical miss a bunch more than enemies.

stranger
stranger
Another issue with OA.. Charmed by the Harpies on the beach, and made party members that were in melee with other Harpies move away from their targets to go to the one charming them. This triggered OA each time. 5E rules would not grant OA when the subject is moving out of their control, such as a Push/Shove or being Charmed.

Additionally, Charming a target should not trigger attacks since the target is now Friendly toward your allies, unless you charmed them explicitly to gain advantage (which is valid) on them or with the intent to cause OA's or other type events, (with is not valid)

This makes me agree with the previous poster, that OA has been setup slanted poorly against the player. And this encounter shows that both OA and Charm need work, as the AI is using both in a way that plays one off anther against 5E rules.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stormcrow505
Another issue with OA.. Charmed by the Harpies on the beach, and made party members that were in melee with other Harpies move away from their targets to go to the one charming them. This triggered OA each time. 5E rules would not grant OA when the subject is moving out of their control, such as a Push/Shove or being Charmed.
Actually, you only don't provoke an opportunity attack when something moves you without using your movement. While charmed by the harpy, you DO use your own movement and thus should provoke AoOs. For the same reason, a creature affected by Fear and forced to run away from the source of their fear still does provoke AoOs.

Additionally, the harpy's "Luring song ability" specifically states that you still provoke opportunity attacks, at least according to D&D 5e.
Originally Posted by Harpy's Luring Song
While charmed by the harpy...the target must move on its own turn toward the harpy by the most direct route, trying to get within 5 feet. It doesn't avoid opportunity attacks, but...whenever it takes damage from a source other than the harpy, the target can repeat the saving throw.
An important part of the above quote is the last sentence: taking damage allows an immediate saving throw to end the charm effect. Idk if this is what happens in BG3, but if not then the harpies have been given a pretty significant power boost.

Link Copied to Clipboard