Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
veteran
veteran
Being druid, nor being a good character ... dont equal being a hippie. :-/
Even if Owlbear was a beast, it would make sence that Druid would fight it ... if there is one too big predator decimating everything else in the woods, its bad for "natural ballance" wich they maintain ...

Source: https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/druid
For druids, nature exists in a precarious balance. The four elements that make up a world—air, earth, fire, and water—must remain in equilibrium. If one element were to gain power over the others, the world could be destroyed, drawn into one of the elemental planes and broken apart into its component elements. Thus, druids oppose cults of Elemental Evil and others who promote one element to the exclusion of others.

Druids are also concerned with the delicate ecological balance that sustains plant and animal life, and the need for civilized folk to live in harmony with nature, not in opposition to it. Druids accept that which is cruel in nature, and they hate that which is unnatural, including aberrations (such as beholders and mind flayers) and undead (such as zombies and vampires). Druids sometimes lead raids against such creatures, especially when the monsters encroach on the druids’ territory.

Druids are often found guarding sacred sites or watching over regions of unspoiled nature. But when a significant danger arises, threatening nature’s balance or the lands they protect, druids take on a more active role in combating the threat, as adventurers.
Being a druid dont mean you cant harm any beast or plant ... it means you would not do that without purpose, that is all.

Originally Posted by GM4Him
Why not have an option for a druid to befriend the owlbear and cub? Why not something like that? Maybe as a druid, I could convince the owlbear to let me remove the spear shaft and it is happy with me. Then, maybe allow me to somehow summon the owlbear for one battle with a magic item. Owlbear against the hag. Oh yeah!
I understanded completely, once again you simply create excuses to give bonuses to your own gameplay. -_-

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/03/21 09:40 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Ah. Heres another example. Owl bear. Im a druid. I don't want to take mama from baby. I don't get cool spear or druid armor. I only get spear for killing mama bear.

Maybe I could get something better if I don't kill mama. I play good, i get druid armor for being druid and not killing bugbear. Something like that.
If you mean The Oak Father's Embrace, you can just stealth and loot it from a nearby skeleton. I'm not sure sneaking is even required if you pacify the mama owlbear.
You have to sneak. If you go forward after making peace with mama owlbear, she will attack you. But sneaking works.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
M
Banned
Banned
M
Guys, you're playing the game wrong. To get all the goodies you have to first let owlbear live, get the goodies from that, then kill it, get exp from that, then let cub live, get the goodies from that. Any other way is wrong because you get less.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
See? That's a case in point. You say I'm making excuses to give bonuses to my own gameplay.

Ragnarock. This is not about me attacking BG3. I am not the enemy. You aren't the BG3 Defender. It seems like if anyone offers any feedback about the game you are immediately on the defensive and you feel you have to do whatever you can to shoot down their opinions to make it sound like the person is a whining, complaining unreasonable individual.

I admitted that the owl bear scenario was a bad example. I admit that actually it is contrary to my point. The owl bear is, in fact, a good example of Larian doing RPG right. And yet, you still accuse me of making excuses to prove my point, as if I'm attacking BG3 like an evil owl bear and you are the hero defending it.

I am NOT trying to force people to have to play the game my way. Im trying to give feedback so that Larian will maybe tweak the game so me and others like me can ALSO play the game the way we like as well. Im not trying to take things away from you or anyone else. I want them to add things to make the game better for me too.

veteran
veteran
That is bcs you do:
Maybe I could get something better...
Maybe I could theoretically be able to trust you, if the whole situation wasn't based on the fact that, as you literally write here, you just want to get an advantage. -_-

I've never said that you want to force people play your way (therefore defending against it is irellevant and unnecessary), I say that you want to change the system to make it better for your way ... and that's wrong.
You can imagine that if you play a druid you already have the advantage that you can get a staff that no one else seems to be able to get ...
In my eyes, such an advantage is quite sufficient.

And an appendix ... if you're having trouble typing my name correctly, either copy it or omit it altogether ... but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop this truncation.
Whether you do it on purpose or not.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/03/21 03:37 PM.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
OK RagnarokCzD. I'm sorry to offend you. Truly am. Many times I'm on my phone or I can't see your name or the spell check changes it to something weird. I didn't know it would upset you to mistype it. I hope that we can stop being opposed to one another in these threads. I'd like to have friendly conversations, working together to improve this game. I really don't want to argue endlessly with people about something Larian may or may not implement.

Right now, we are focusing too much on the owlbear situation, which I've admitted I was wrong about. I've also admitted that it is actually an example of how Larian has already done exactly what I am posting about here. So I was wrong. The owlbear scene is good.

But since we ARE stuck on the owlbear, let's use it as a case in point from a positive perspective about what I've been trying to say all along. In the situation of the owlbear, players are rewarded for GOOD roleplaying; decisions that makes sense from a story perspective and the player is acting according to their character. A druid or good cleric or good person period, who is supposed to be a hero, would kill the owlbear so no one else is victimized by it. An evil character would also likely kill it just because they feel like it or for the loot. So bad roleplaying would be to allow the thing to live and go about your business. Good roleplaying would be to kill it.

So, good roleplaying, killing the owlbear, brings rewards. Yay! This is my point. That's wonderful. Bad roleplaying, letting the owlbear live, brings no rewards. Again, this is my point. If you cheat, which is to sneak and steal the magic item, etc., you may still get a reward, but that, again, is good roleplaying because if you have a rogue who is good enough to sneak up and steal it then you should get the prize. So, this is a case in point of exactly what I'd like to see more of. THAT is the WHOLE point of this entire thread. Shoot! Even letting the baby owlbear live and such is good roleplaying depending on the personality you are creating for your character.

So now let's forget the owlbear. In the rest of the game, what we are currently getting is a lot of situations where I am rewarded for roleplaying in a way that doesn't make sense from a story perspective and/or is not in character. If I, for example, am a good cleric of Tyr, can you honestly tell me that it makes sense to you that my good cleric of Tyr confronts the hag in her home, she escapes with Mayrina, he fights some Red Caps and makes his way down to her lair, fights some masked adventurers and then decides to call it a day, head back to his camp, chill there for the remainder of the day, get 8 hours of sleep, head back to the hag's lair where he left off and then enter her inner domain and fight her? It doesn't make sense to me or to many others who agree with what I'm saying.

BUT, if I don't play this way, I have a REALLY hard time beating the hag. Shoot! I just played the Red Cap battle today and quit. Gonna have to reload. Full health, fresh slots, and played it with the intent to save my slots and such because I'm trying to manage my spells wisely and so forth so I can get to the hag with slots to spare. In other words, I was trying to play it in a way where I wouldn't need to Long Rest prior to facing her.

The Red Caps kicked my butt. Ethel poisoned me, giving me disadvantage on all rolls, and without using spells I was dying real fast.

So I'm forced to play in a way where I have to expend all my spell slots and such killing the Red Caps because it's a tough fight and then Long Rest some time between that fight and the hag's lair or I'll never beat the hag. Thus, my good cleric of Tyr is forced to go against his character. He is forced to use all his spells, and the spells of the rest of the party, just to get to the hag, then spend the remainder of the day chilling at camp, sleep 8 hours and return to face her as if it was no big deal to do so.

Please note: I did not say all this because I want advice on how to play the game. People tend to think that helps. It doesn't. I'm using this as a case in point. I'm pointing out that if I'm a new player, this entire side quest is immersion breaking. I will likely die unless I spend all my spells and take a Long Rest. When a hag has just kidnapped someone, there is a sense of urgency - or at least there should be if this was a real life scenario. Roleplaying is about putting yourself in their shoes. Can you honestly tell me that if a hag had just kidnapped someone you wouldn't be urged to push forward to try to save her if you were a good cleric of Tyr?

So, again, I'm punished unless I spend all my spell slots and Long Rest, which goes against my character. I HAVE to Long Rest, or I'm going to get my butt kicked and struggle getting to the end of the scenario. That is punishment to me and others who agree with me no matter what way you look at it. If I push on without long resting, the entire side quest is impossible or nearly impossible. If I rest, I break the immersion. That's how it was for me the first time I played it, and that's how it still is for me no matter what way I try to play it.

So my WHOLE point is that I want Larian to do things that make sense from a story perspective first. Then balance the game to match. Roleplaying is about story first. Then mechanics. That's why Wizards says it's okay to implement house rules.
They want players to enjoy the game and have fun adventures without the rules getting in the way. I have no problem with Larian implementing house rules to make the game more fun, but not at the expense of the story and character development. Story/character development first. The mechanics MUST compliment the story and character development. Don't make me do things that don't make sense from a story/character perspective just so I can beat a boss villain.

And, if the Red Cap fight, with all my characters at Level 4 (just leveled up beforehand) is difficult at best and impossible at worse, and I'm struggling to beat it unless I expend all my spell slots and so forth, or I know some clever tricks to the game, that is not good from a story perspective. The DM, Larian, has just put me in a VERY bad situation. There's no way I'm going to beat the hag now. I might as well pray to the gods to save Mayrina cause I sure won't be able to unless I use everything I've got for every battle and Long Rest a lot. Makes no logical sense.

ALL this being said, for you who think all I'm doing is complaining and trying to change the system, I've even thought of a way Larian COULD explain allowing a Long Rest or two during this scenario so they don't even have to change the system. Ethel, just before the Red Cap fight, says, "Let's have a bit of fun." So she indicates that she's playing with you. Therefore, she waits for you however long it takes because she's having a bit of fun with you. It's a game to her, AND she wants that tadpole. This, however, is never clearly explained.

SO, my suggestion now for this scene in particular, if Larian doesn't want to restrict Long Rests for story immersion purposes, is to have the hag at various points taunt you as you are making your way into her lair, like she does when you are examining different trophies in her sanctum. Heck! She taunts you from start to finish, so adding a few more taunts would only add to the flavor of the side quest. The taunting could be something like, "Take as much time as you need, Deary. I'm enjoying our little game. You sure you don't need to rest? Don't worry. I'll wait for you. The prize is well worth the wait." Once you are getting close to her lair, have her taunt again by saying something like, "You sure you want to face me right now, Pet? You're looking a bit worse for wear. Maybe you should get some rest first. Take the rest of the day off. I won't go anywhere. Promise. I want you at your best when I CRACK YOUR SKULL OPEN AND RIP THAT WIGGLER FROM YOUR POMPOUS LITTLE BRAIN!!!"

THIS tells players, especially new ones, that Long Resting might not only be okay but it is recommended. Then, from a story perspective, players get a full understanding that Ethel is totally enjoying this and is playing a game with you and she's going to wait as long as it takes for you to get there. THIS emphasizes to players that what she really wants is your tadpole. She'll even wait days if it means you'll bring it to her.

THAT is the kind of thing I'm looking for. If they are going to make the boss super tough, and you will likely need to Long Rest before facing him/her/it, then at least explain it from a story perspective. Don't make it so that I feel like I'm cheating by Long Resting.

And PLEASE untie dialogues from rest. I want my character development without having to End Day all the time. That breaks immersion SO much for me and others, which is why so many bring it up. I don't even care anymore if you put time limits on certain events like the gobbos attacking (which again I'd love to see). I just want it so that I don't have to Long Rest when I'm full health and full spell slots and so forth and it makes no sense to Long Rest just so I can trigger some dialogue or other.

M
Banned
Banned
M
@GM4Him

What are you doing, you have no time to save some girl you don't even know. You said that you have tadpole in your head so you don't have time to do anything else than get it out, why you hypocrite? GTFO

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by MrSam
@GM4Him

What are you doing, you have no time to save some girl you don't even know. You said that you have tadpole in your head so you don't have time to do anything else than get it out, why you hypocrite? GTFO

See. This is exactly what I mean by you people are missing the whole point. I said it made no sense to Long Rest a ton if you have a tadpole in your head. You understood that to mean that I don't want players to be able to explore the map and do the side quests and such because they should just speed run through the game and get straight to the main quest.

I don't know how many ways I can explain it, though. The point wasn't to speed run the main quest. The point was that players shouldn't be able to Long Rest indefinitely without something happening. It makes no sense from a story perspective to Long Rest all the time without some sort of repercussions.

It's all about the Long Rests. It's about characters not Long Resting beyond reason. Right now, the game is forcing players to Long Rest A LOT when you have a tadpole in your head. So I want them to not force people to Long Rest so much. That's the whole point.

But you seem to view that as me saying that I want Larian to force players to speed run the game and not do any side quests but focus on the main quest. I'm not saying that AT ALL!

The druids aren't going to do their ritual for more than a few days, and the goblins aren't going to just sit there and do nothing waiting for you to show up and kill their leaders.

So I'm not suggesting that Larian put some sort of time limits on the game so that players won't even have time to explore the map and do all the side quests. I don't want that either. I want to be able to explore and enjoy the WHOLE game.

THAT is the whole point. Right now, I don't get to enjoy the whole game unless I Long Rest ALL THE TIME. I miss out on dialogues, it destroys immersion, goblins never attack the grove, druids never kick anyone out. It's all stuck in some sort of endless Groundhog Day, nothing ever changes setting.

So I'm suggesting that they implement some sort of events triggers. After x number of Long Rests a person shows up at your camp saying, "You'd better hurry. The gobbos are going to attack in just a few days." Then, in x number of days after that the gobbos actually attack. In this way, if you use too many Long Rests the gobbos will attack and you can either help defend the grove against them or not. Your choice. You can still Long Rest all you want, but things will actually happen the more you Long Rest.

So my suggestion was NOT that the character would be so freaked out that they'd not try to help a person in need, for a good character might sacrifice themselves to help someone in need, but that they wouldn't be sleeping a thousand times when they know they have a tadpole in their heads and gobbos are going to attack the grove and druids are going to force people out supposedly in just a few days and a hag just kidnapped a girl who is pregnant.

Right now, the way the game is designed, the character is urged to Long Rest, then are told to not Long Rest because you have a tadpole in your head, but then you are supposed to Long Rest a lot because you can't beat the bosses unless you Long Rest before fighting them which makes no sense from a story perspective. Then, on top of it all, you have to Long Rest or you miss out on fun character dialogues.

So it's not about speed running the game but about the story.

I wouldn't Long Rest after I just learned a hag kidnapped a pregnant woman if I'm a good cleric of Tyr. I'd even sacrifice myself to save her as fast as I could. So either Larian needs to dumb down the hag fight, WHICH I WOULD NOT PREFER, or provide players some sort of logical reason why they can go off and spend the remainder of a day chilling and then sleep for 8 hours and then return to face the hag as if it was no big deal that the hag just kidnapped a pregnant woman. Likewise, they need to explain better why the gobbos won't attack the grove even after you've Long Rested like 12 times after you visited the grove initially or why the druid ritual isn't completed after 24 times of Long Resting...or however many times you Long Rest (the number of the Long Rests isn't important, it's the concept I'm referring to).

So I don't care if Larian gives us 10 Long Rests before the gobbos attack the grove and/or the druids kick out the tieflings. Just at least put some sort of limit on it so that if players use that many Long Rests SOMETHING happens. It makes no sense right now that you can Long Rest indefinitely and nothing happens.

Yes. I don't care if you have a mind flayer tadpole in your head, if you're exhausted, used up all your spell slots and HP, Yes it makes sense to Long Rest. However, if you are full health, just started the day, have all your spell slots AND you haven't hardly done anything but run through Blighted Village, it makes no sense to Long Rest just so you can trigger some dialogue. It makes no sense that my characters will say they are tired and need to long rest after I just woke up and ran through Blighted Village with full health and spell slots and everything. NO SENSE WHEN YOU HAVE A TADPOLE IN YOUR HEAD TO LONG REST JUST SO A CHARACTER CAN CHAT WITH ME.

And AGAIN, the whole point is to reward good roleplaying. Using the owlbear situation as a case in point, if you kill the owlbear, good roleplaying, you get fun gear, good rewards. If you don't, bad roleplaying, you don't get fun gear, bad rewards. If I beat the hag without a Long Rest, good roleplaying, which I actually cannot do, I should get good rewards. If I Long Rest, maybe I get the rewards that are in the game now. So I'm not saying take anything away from anyone. I'm saying add something better if someone does better at each side quest and the main quest.

Beat the gobbo leaders before they attack the grove, no life lost at the grove. If you don't beat the leaders in time, you get the help of the tieflings and/or druids but some of them may die in the fight. Things LIKE this. I don't even care if they do anything I suggest. I just want something that makes more sense for people like me.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Lol! All this talk about the Hag lair and not Long Resting and turns out Patch 4 did this already. HAHA! That's hilarious. Wasted so much time writing about something that doesn't matter now anyway. It's already done. Way to go Larian! That's what I'm talking about.

Still need to make the whole experience a bit less difficult, but it least people can't just Long Rest or Fast Travel in her lair.

Anyone test it out? Can tou still leave and Long Rest and return to fight the hag? Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

Last edited by GM4Him; 25/03/21 03:21 AM.
M
Banned
Banned
M
Of course you can, I rested at hag's house. The hag does not feel you as a threat.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You can short rest in her lair but not long, and fast travel is now also restricted in her lair.

Now if they just implement a consequence of some kind for leaving and resting and coming back, then it would make perfect sense.

Still, the lair is one of the hardest in the game. I guess, though, they really let you know. The door now even tells you. RUUUN!!!!

Like the old Dexter's Lab cartoon, "Enter at your own peril, past the vaulted door..." 😁

veteran
veteran
It was always like this. You never could long rest on the hags lair. I played since patch 3 and wasn't able to do that. So that is no news.

As for dumbing down the whole lair - no, just no. The whole lair feels nicely creepy and challenging, I really don't want that gone. And it isn't that hard, just challenging.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
R
old hand
old hand
R
Lol! All this talk about the Hag lair and not Long Resting and turns out Patch 4 did this already. HAHA! That's hilarious. Wasted so much time writing about something that doesn't matter now anyway. It's already done. Way to go Larian! That's what I'm talking about.

Still need to make the whole experience a bit less difficult, but it least people can't just Long Rest or Fast Travel in her lair.

Anyone test it out? Can tou still leave and Long Rest and return to fight the hag? Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

You can always spend 30 seconds to go out and rest outside.
Besides, it was impossible to rest there from the beginning.

Another thing is that it doesn't make sense for a witch to send a marine somewhere else.
She believes you are not threat to her.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 25/03/21 07:18 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hmmm. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I could have sworn I had Long Rested during many of my playthroughs in her lair in the past. I wasn't able to beat her in any other way. Maybe a glitch then on my pc. Who knows?

Ah well. Whatever. It does look like Larian did some fixes on the hag lair. It was MUCH more reasonable this time through. I've another post discussing the actual changes that were made. It was much more fun this time through. Love some of the additions they made, and the biggest issue I had in the past defeating her was that she got surprise round in her lair and would multiply, blast the crap out of me with all versions of herself, disable all my buffs, somehow, that I had up previously, and all before I got a chance to go. I couldn't sneak into her lair at all in the past, and I could never hit her either no matter how high I got or whether I was behind her or not. Seemed like the fight was practically impossible before.

Now. It was challenging and fun, and I absolutely loved the addition of using Speak to Dead on her. Astarion speaking to her dead corpse was appropriate and creepy and made so much more so because of the new animations.

THAT's the kind of thing I was posting about to begin with. Very rewarding. I only had to use a few short rests, and even that I probably could have gotten away with not doing if I'd played better. I only used them because of past experiences. I thought there was no way I could beat her if I didn't. I even knocked out the adventurers as opposed to killing them, which is a lot harder.

So the hag's lair is no longer an example either of what I was saying about needing more rewards for good roleplaying. In fact, again, like the owlbear, looks like Larian is already doing just what I was asking for.

So see? I'm not out here complaining. Just offering suggestions when I run into things that seem off to me. When I find something working right, I say it, and when I'm wrong about something, I'll admit it...once I see the error of my ways anyway. Ha!

Come to think of it. Does anyone REALLY know whether Larian HASN'T put anything in place if you use too many Long Rests? Is this something people are just assuming? I don't think I've really ever tested it. Can you just Long Rest your brains out and nothing happens? Perhaps I've just assumed that's the case myself. I wonder how many Long Rests I've truly ever used in the game prior to reaching the Underdark. Hmmm...Maybe something new to test. smile

veteran
veteran
OK RagnarokCzD. I'm sorry to offend you. Truly am. Many times I'm on my phone or I can't see your name or the spell check changes it to something weird. I didn't know it would upset you to mistype it.
These are all rather strong words, I would say a little annoying, but that's all. wink

I hope that we can stop being opposed to one another in these threads.
I never was.

I really don't want to argue endlessly with people about something Larian may or may not implement.
I never forced you to do that, and since you ignored several of my reactions, I didn't even feel like you were forced to do so: D

Right now, we are focusing too much on the owlbear situation
Not quite, I literally talked about the situation, if instead of owlbear there was any other, big, carnivorous animal ...
So the argument with "monstrosity" instead of "beast" was completely irrelevant in that situation. And even so, it might make sense for a druid to attack the animal, it's all about the point of view.

In our country we have a saying:
"He who wants, seeks ways ... he who does not want, seeks reasons." wink

So bad roleplaying would be to allow the thing to live and go about your business.
Good roleplaying would be to kill it.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong again ...
What if my character plays a calculating evil warlock who has no interest at all in risking his own life in a fight with an animal (or monstrocity) that doesn't threaten him at all?

Then the right roleplay is just to let it be. wink
As I keep saying, everything is just a matter of perspective, it's not about putting "good" and "bad" labels.

can you honestly tell me that it makes sense to you that my good cleric of Tyr confronts the hag in her home, she escapes with Mayrina, he fights some Red Caps and makes his way down to her lair, fights some masked adventurers and then decides to call it a day, head back to his camp, chill there for the remainder of the day, get 8 hours of sleep, head back to the hag's lair where he left off and then enter her inner domain and fight her?
It depends ...
The problem with this example is that it is designed to fit the conclusion you want to draw. But it does not depict the whole situation completely.

Personally, I think that even a most conscious and dedicated paladin (or cleric if you want) of Tyr, would interrupt the whole campaign against Hag and go to rest if he were at the end of his strength. After all, Marina had survived the last few weeks, as her brothers had told us ... and that we would run into her lair with full parade and die a heroic death there, because we had been on the verge of death before that ... well, let's say that it won't help anyone much. laugh
I agree that it may seem like a gamble ...
But even the most heroic heroes must approach their work responsibly.

BUT, if I don't play this way, I have a REALLY hard time beating the hag. Shoot! I just played the Red Cap battle today and quit. Gonna have to reload. Full health, fresh slots, and played it with the intent to save my slots and such because I'm trying to manage my spells wisely and so forth so I can get to the hag with slots to spare. In other words, I was trying to play it in a way where I wouldn't need to Long Rest prior to facing her.

The Red Caps kicked my butt. Ethel poisoned me, giving me disadvantage on all rolls, and without using spells I was dying real fast.

So I'm forced to play in a way where I have to expend all my spell slots and such killing the Red Caps because it's a tough fight and then Long Rest some time between that fight and the hag's lair or I'll never beat the hag. Thus, my good cleric of Tyr is forced to go against his character. He is forced to use all his spells, and the spells of the rest of the party, just to get to the hag, then spend the remainder of the day chilling at camp, sleep 8 hours and return to face her as if it was no big deal to do so.

Please note: I did not say all this because I want advice on how to play the game.
So what can i tell you ...
You were out of luck. laugh

No, really now ...
Fights in Baldur's Gate 3 are definitely not static, and a fight with the same opponent can one day prove as impossible as a primitive thing with the same party (true, it usually wants to change tactics) ...

I admit that it is a little harder for me to get into this situation, because when I tried to save Marina's brothers, I had to go through the whole swamp within single long-rest ...
My group was: Wood-Elf Land-Druid, Gale (Abjuration), Astarion (Tief) and Shadowheart ...
True, I took advantage of all the benefits that the game provided ... high ground, stealth, weapons diping, etc. ... so I defeated her relatively easily, on the second try, on the first, I just distracted Ethel with my main character and with Astarion (under the guise of Shadowheart's blessing) I just shoved her into the hole. laugh

People tend to think that helps. It doesn't.
It's up to you what you take from it.

I will likely die unless I spend all my spells and take a Long Rest.
Maybe you wouldn't be so in danger if you read the other people's advice. laugh
As I said, there are ways to walk literally through the entire swamp without using a single spell slot. wink

When a hag has just kidnapped someone, there is a sense of urgency - or at least there should be if this was a real life scenario. Roleplaying is about putting yourself in their shoes. Can you honestly tell me that if a hag had just kidnapped someone you wouldn't be urged to push forward to try to save her if you were a good cleric of Tyr?
Yes, you ask the same question as before ... and therefore, of course, you get the same answer as before:
Not at the expense of one's own life. wink
As long as my benevolent cleric is able to continue, he will continue ... the moment he evaluates that his strength is running low, all he has to do is do what needs to be done and hope that the worst does not happen.

After all, the Hag seems to want the girl for something. wink

ALL this being said, for you who think all I'm doing is complaining and trying to change the system
So far, you have managed not to ask for a better reward or advantage ...
From my point of view, this is an improvement.

AND she wants that tadpole. This, however, is never clearly explained.
I don't think she wants it, how did you even come up with that?
As far as I know, Ethel wants to use an unknown spell on your eye ... and refuses to tell you the reasons.
Nothing more, nothing less ... it even comes to me, judging by her reaction, that she clearly despises the type of tadpole you have in your head.

SO, my suggestion now for this scene in particular, if Larian doesn't want to restrict Long Rests for story immersion purposes, is to have the hag at various points taunt you as you are making your way into her lair, like she does when you are examining different trophies in her sanctum. Heck! She taunts you from start to finish, so adding a few more taunts would only add to the flavor of the side quest. The taunting could be something like, "Take as much time as you need, Deary. I'm enjoying our little game. You sure you don't need to rest? Don't worry. I'll wait for you. The prize is well worth the wait." Once you are getting close to her lair, have her taunt again by saying something like, "You sure you want to face me right now, Pet? You're looking a bit worse for wear. Maybe you should get some rest first. Take the rest of the day off. I won't go anywhere. Promise. I want you at your best when I CRACK YOUR SKULL OPEN AND RIP THAT WIGGLER FROM YOUR POMPOUS LITTLE BRAIN!!!"
I like that, except perhaps the last sentence, as I wrote above ... I don't feel like she cares about the tadpole in any way.

On the other hand, I honestly don't believe that one would have a long rest during this scenario.
This is already indicated by the fact that long rest is not possible here.
And don't be mad at me, but if you really need them as desperately as you write here, maybe you're really just doing something wrong. :-/

And PLEASE untie dialogues from rest. I want my character development without having to End Day all the time.
We have talked about this countless times ...
You claim to want a friendly debate ... but you ignore everything that has been said so far on this topic and keep repeating the same sentence as a jammed record. That's not how I imagine a debate.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Sorry RagnarokCzD. Just never mind. I no longer care, to be quite honest. I honestly wasn't trying to debate with anyone. I just wanted to make a suggestion. That's it. I played the game, didn't like something, made a suggestion and tried to explain why I thought it made sense and why I thought it would be good for the game.

I have never wanted to debate. I don't like debates. I wasn't trying to anger anyone. I wasn't trying to create problems. I really just wanted a safe place to give my honest feedback about the game. If Larian likes it, great. If not. Whatever. I like the game either way.

And, honestly, I didn't ignore everything you said. I read your responses. I just didn't understand where you were coming from. Seemed like you didn't understand me either. You think you understand me, but based on your responses it seems like you still don't. That's why I thought maybe there was a legitimate language barrier.

And frankly, I think this is perhaps where the misunderstanding is coming in. I have never wanted to debate with you. You seemed to always take it that way, but I have never wanted a debate at all from anyone. Every time I responded, it was to explain why I wanted the change that I wanted. Nothing more. Nothing less. I wasn't trying to debate about which way is the right way to play the game. I really just literally wanted to provide suggestions to discuss ways I thought the game could be made better. If you notice, sometimes I agree that I was off base, like the owlbear and the hag lair. I probably should have replayed the hag lair after Patch 4 before using it as an example. I should have looked up owlbears again and how a druid might respond to them prior to using that as an example. Ah heck! I even gave up on the idea of limiting inventory slots because after I made the suggestion I tried it out and realized that it wasn't a good idea after all.

So see. I'm not trying to be a fierce debating warrior here. I'm just wanting to play the game and offer advice as I see it to make the game more fun. That's it. No debates. No arguments.

But, you know, it's probably me. So whatever. I don't care anymore.

veteran
veteran
So, starting a new one. This one's purpose is to day that I feel like Larian, as my DM, punishes me for good role playing.

1. I don't search every container and body and push myself to hurry to find a cure for myself and my companions.

Punishment for good roleplaying: I miss out on finding cool books and gear because Im trying to escape a burning mind flayer ship blasting through the Hells. This holds true through the whole game. Rush to the gobbo camp or Gith creche, miss out on tons of stuff.

Solution? Auto search. Perception checks find good items instead of hunting for them through all the junk.

I have issues with the tons of empty containers and this is something that has been discussed a lot... But I'd hate an auto search button.

I don't really understand why "auto search" would be "better roleplaying" than manually open every containers in our character's situation but anyway.

I'd like a lot less empty (or full of crap) containers. I don't like to waste my time managing useless bones and opening tons of useless things. Items are very poorly distributed in the world and a container with 3 gold is also a part of what I call "useless containers".

2. I don't end day frequently because Im racing against time to save myself and others.

Punishment for good roleplaying: I miss out on lots of character development and convos.

Solution? Untie rest and convos.

I don't have any problems with conversation during rests. But they should be more clear about the fact that you finally won't turn into a mindflayer and/or tone down the "we're going to turn into mindflayer in a few days!!".

The game and its story doesn't suit such urgency and it wasn't clear to me that finally, a few days won't change anything.

I always had this "threat" during the game and at the same time I could rest for days without any consequences... And that makes no sense.

Maybe I missed some details but this kind of things shouldn't appear on details (a conversation I missed ? A book I didn't read ? Idk)

This is more about the story telling than the dialogs at camp to me.

3. I don't use tadpole powers.

Punishment for good roleplaying: I don't meet the dream person at all.

Solution? Make it so that if I rest too much the dream person starts to appear. If I use tadpole powers, they appear faster.

Not sure about the solution but definitely, the game need to be something more than "use the tadpole, have powers, use stronger items, have dreams" or "don't use the tadpole and... Nothing".

I'm confident about it. It was clear that the good path wasn't implemented at the beginning of the EA.

I'm only playing good playthrough in such games and it would be a huge dissapointment if playing good was still uninterresting (at the moment it is and nothing special happen, you even don't really understand the story).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/03/21 06:05 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm actually good on auto-search now. I didn't realize that holding Alt pretty much did what I was suggesting. I just wanted some sort of way for my character to tell me what they see so I'm not playing a Hidden Objects game trying to find every important item in a room. The key in the Necromancer's Lair is a perfect example. I didn't know Alt would highlight items like that when I get near, so I went all over every pixel of that chamber for a LONG time searching for the key to get into that locked area, and this was on my umpeenth playthrough. I'd forgotten where the darn key was and couldn't find it simply because I didn't hover over it just right. So I'm good on that now.

I just had an issue with having to Long Rest so much or I miss dialogue. I have had many times where I literally just long rested, my characters start a fresh new day, I ran for 5 minutes, no fighting, nothing, and suddenly Astarion or whoever tells me they are exhausted and need to call it a day. Why? There was some sort of End Day dialogue that was ready to be triggered. Made no sense to me. If I ignored the character saying this, because I thought, "I just started a new day and you want me to End Day already?" then I missed the dialogue. It would never occur because I ignored the character saying they were tired.

So it isn't that I have a problem with convos happening during rests and at camp. I just thought that being forced to Long Rest simply because someone has a dialogue to trigger makes no sense. It's one thing if I long rest because I need to; low on health and spell slots and so forth. It's another thing to make me long rest just because Gale wants to create an image of himself and tell me more details about turning into a mind flayer. Then he tells me to hurry up and get some rest so we can get to finding a healer because we shouldn't be resting so much because we have a tadpole in our heads. So first he tells me he's tired and needs to End Day just so he can talk to me, then he tells me I shouldn't be resting so much because I have a tadpole in my head.

And if I ignore my characters telling me to long rest, I miss out on this cutscene that I thought was rather fun when I actually did trigger it.

old hand
old hand
The "I'm tired, can we rest?" indicators for camp conversations aren't working at all in my games. If I go to camp when someone says they're tired, no one has a conversation ready. When someone has a conversation ready, no one says they're tired. confused

Maybe my playstyle is messing it up; I tend to long rest all the time at the beginning of a run, trying to proc Gale's conversations and prevent cutscenes from overriding each other, but once I know I've seen all the camp cutscenes - typically around the time of the party - I cut way, way back and mostly use short rests. It could also be that these are placeholder triggers for camp cutscenes which will be coming in the future - I certainly hope we'll get more, they seem a bit unevenly distributed at the moment.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hmm.... I get it all the time.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard