Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Not quite sure what TP is ...
But if you mean fast traveling from anywhere, i dont see any big problem with that ... i simply dont use it, and im quite fine.
Traveling only from waystone to waystone, and it certainly feels better ... laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But if you mean fast traveling from anywhere, i dont see any big problem with that ... i simply dont use it, and im quite fine.
Traveling only from waystone to waystone, and it certainly feels better ... laugh

Of course being able to fast travel/teleport from nearly anywhere when you're outside is not a problem. I should even say that it is necessary.

But those runes are a problem.
It is the cheapest system they could have found.
"How are we going to allow players to teleport from 1 point to another ? Let's create teleport runes !". Like in MMORPG where everyone except any NPC living in the world has it's special stone to go everywhere.

Fast travelling (to camp or any other location) would feel way less immersion breaking if we just had to open the worldmap and click on the locations available.

Fast travelling would become fast TRAVELLING rather than a meaningless teleportation. It would increase the feeling we're traveling on the Sword Coast instead of creating inconsistencies.

Of course if the camp is not on the map, there's something else that really goes wrong.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/03/21 09:29 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
The music...

BG1 theme is one of a kind. It just makes you want to roll a new character and dive into the world. I've created many characters without even starting a playthrough just because of the MUSIC.

BG3 music is good but I wish it would be more inspired on the originals. The english lyrics "down by the river" seemed a bit odd at first coming suddenly out of nowhere on top of the instrumental. Love the unknown language in DAO theme for instance. English seems a bit mundane.

Banned
Banned
I lowered the music volume to 30 just so I don't have to listen to the one at the menu. You know, the one that goes,

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Consequently, I don't hear much of the music in the game, but it's a fair trade.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Of course being able to fast travel/teleport from nearly anywhere when you're outside is not a problem. I should even say that it is necessary.

But those runes are a problem.
It is the cheapest system they could have found.
"How are we going to allow players to teleport from 1 point to another ? Let's create teleport runes !". Like in MMORPG where everyone except any NPC living in the world has it's special stone to go everywhere.

Fast travelling (to camp or any other location) would feel way less immersion breaking if we just had to open the world map and click on the locations available.

Fast travelling would become fast TRAVELLING rather than a meaningless teleportation. It would increase the feeling we're traveling on the Sword Coast instead of creating inconsistencies.

Of course if the camp is not on the map, there's something else that really goes wrong.

This was talked about in another thread months back, portals is actually a forgotten realms feature at least in 4e it was. They are scattered all over Toril and come in different sizes / shapes. Portals last longer than the creator usually and were broken back when spell plague happened. That should be reverted by now though.

In the book portals linked from one destination to another crossing areas or planes. They are not all linked and you can't tele and just magically show up to one.

I'd like to see them actually used like a actual FR feature and people have to show up to use them like its not a cheap ass wow rip off that's incredibly immersion breaking.

The example they give in FRC 4e book is more closer to this, you can see the destination through the portal and you can gain additional info via arcane roll vs a DC:
[Linked Image from pixelz.cc]

Last edited by fallenj; 28/03/21 10:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
This was talked about in another thread months back, portals is actually a forgotten realms feature at least in 4e it was. They are scattered all over Toril and come in different sizes / shapes. Portals last longer than the creator usually and were broken back when spell plague happened. That should be reverted by now though.

In the book portals linked from one destination to another crossing areas or planes. They are not all linked and you can't tele and just magically show up to one.

I'd like to see them actually used like a actual FR feature and people have to show up to use them like its not a cheap ass wow rip off that's incredibly immersion breaking.

The example they give in FRC 4e book is more closer to this, you can see the destination through the portal and you can gain additional info via arcane roll vs a DC:
[Linked Image from pixelz.cc]

[/spoiler]

Thanks for this informations about the lore.
I know we discussed about these runes in many threads but to be honnest I didn't really knew how it worked.

If I try to focus on mechanics, I think we should be able to fast travel from nearly everywhere like we could.

A short exemple but I have to admit that I would be annoyed if I had to walk from the grove to the closest runes to fast travel. Let's be honnest it's just a waste of time and the only consequences is that you have to walk. It's not an interresting consequences whatever we're talking about the broken rest mechanic or anything else.

It's a bit less immersion breaking but it's still not really how it should work in the FR and from a QoL point of view, it's not good at all.

That's why I really think those runes shouldn't be THE thing to fast travel.
Of course we could find some runes arround the world that could work exactly like in your summary.
I.e to go from the hag's lair to the underdark or why not from a secret room in the druid grove to the swamp...

But "common" fast travel should work like (fast) travelling and the beautifull worldmap would do the job perfectly. It's 100% ok with the lore, it's 100% ok with the immersion, it's 100% ok for our quality of life.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/03/21 11:32 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
I know we discussed about these runes in many threads but to be honnest I didn't really knew how it worked.

If I try to focus on mechanics, I think we should be able to fast travel from nearly everywhere like we could.

A short exemple but I have to admit that I would be annoyed if I had to walk from the grove to the closest runes to fast travel. Let's be honnest it's just a waste of time and the only consequences is that you have to walk. It's not an interresting consequences whatever we're talking about the broken rest mechanic or anything else.

It's a bit less immersion breaking but it's still not really how it should work in the FR and from a QoL point of view, it's not good at all.

Of course we could find some runes arround the world that could work exactly like in your summary.
I.e to go from the hag's lair to the underdark or why not from a secret room in the druid grove to the swamp...

But "common" fast travel should work like (fast) travelling and the beautifull worldmap would do the job perfectly. It's 100% ok with the lore, it's 100% ok with the immersion, it's 100% ok for our quality of life.

There was more to the portals for 4e where the creator could adjust differences like only a certain race can enter and some other versions. I didn't want to get into full details.

I think they should be separated and portals should be used how I said while fast traveling you can click on the map for a certain town / location and time passes for how far it is. This would be my ideal setup but I really doubt it'll come.

Last edited by fallenj; 28/03/21 01:44 PM.
veteran
veteran

There was more to the portals for 4e where the creator could adjust differences like only a certain race can enter and some other versions. I didn't want to get into full details.

I think they should be separated and portals should be used how I said while fast traveling you can click on the map for a certain town / location and time passes for how far it is. This would be my ideal setup but I really doubt it'll come.

I really feel the same but I'm a bit more.optimistic (or naive as always^^).

Why would they have designed a beautifull worldmap with "pins" that totally feels like the old games map if it's not to use it ?

Bad fan service ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/03/21 02:02 PM.

old hand
old hand

I really feel the same but I'm a bit more.optimistic (or naive as always^^).

Why would they have designed a beautifull worldmap with "pins" that totally feels like the old games map if it's not to use it ?

Bad fan service ?

Just to troll us

Last edited by fallenj; 28/03/21 02:16 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard