Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
You are completely ignoring the fact that it's Larian's design choices that have made Sin Tee's solo runs possible. The fact that he is stacking all of them to accomplish the feat, has no bearing on the fact that it's Larian's decisions to deviate from the rules so sharply that his exploitations are even possible.

Sin Tee can't pull off what he does in those videos if Larian doesn't homebrew their own 5E rules and slap them on top of the DOS environmental/barrel/surface spam framework, and instead stays closer to 5E rules.

Firstly, my whole point was that solo-combat is a fringe method of gameplay and really isn't the best way to evaluate what works and what doesn't in BG3.

Now regarding Sin Tee and soloing - Larian's design choices are merely the current method he's employed to solo this game.

It's impossible to prove that the game is not solo-able without this - but I'd put my money on him being able to do it. Especially considering that a closer adherence to the 5E Table Top will simply bring in half a decade of even better thought out cheese from the table top community. 5E is simply too ripe with explolits (i.e. people have come up with ways to solo a 30 CR Tiamat with a level 4 character)

As long as the game offers significant freedom, and there is no DM intervention to moderate meta-gaming, players will likely find a way to solo a single player D&D game. Even PF:KM unfair and IWD2 Heart of Winter Mode, where monster statistics are monstrously skewed, are solo-able.

Last edited by Topgoon; 18/03/21 03:30 AM.
Originally Posted by Topgoon
You are completely ignoring the fact that it's Larian's design choices that have made Sin Tee's solo runs possible. The fact that he is stacking all of them to accomplish the feat, has no bearing on the fact that it's Larian's decisions to deviate from the rules so sharply that his exploitations are even possible.

Sin Tee can't pull off what he does in those videos if Larian doesn't homebrew their own 5E rules and slap them on top of the DOS environmental/barrel/surface spam framework, and instead stays closer to 5E rules.

Larian's design choices are merely the current method employed by Sin Tee to solo this game.

It's impossible to prove that the game is not solo-able without this - but I'd put my money on him being able to do it. Especially considering that a closer adherence to the 5E Table Top will simply bring in half a decade of even better thought out cheese from the table top community. 5E is simply too ripe with explolits (i.e. people have come up with ways to solo a 30 CR Tiamat with a level 4 character)

As long as the game offers significant freedom, and there is no DM intervention to moderate meta-gaming, players will likely find a way to solo a single player D&D game. Even PF:KM unfair and IWD2 Heart of Winter Mode, where monster statistics are monstrously skewed, are solo-able.

Every run-through he has, he's exploiting Larian's poor design decisions, and deviations from actual 5E rules. Those systems don't exist to be exploited if Larian doesn't include them.

As to your "Level 4 Insta"kill" Tiamat Cheese", it's dead off the bat if you actually read the post "This is just a thought experiment and not a viable in a real game in any way whatsoever... However..." and then goes on to rely on Wait until you have a Natural 20 on Portent and another that is either Low or High. and Hopefully beat Tiamat on initiative (using the second Portent to help)

That's a far cry from Sin Tee putting multiple videos up of him using Larian's poor design decisions to solo run the game. At this point you just sound like an apologist TBH.

The fact that he's using every broken Larian homebrew rule to do this with a single character, has no bearing on the fact that their homebrew rules, are in fact, broken.

Last edited by Grudgebearer; 18/03/21 03:33 AM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Every run-through he has, he's exploiting Larian's poor design decisions, and deviations from actual 5E rules. Those systems don't exist to be exploited if Larian doesn't include them.

As to your "Level 4 Insta"kill" Tiamat Cheese", it's dead off the bat if you actually read the post "This is just a thought experiment and not a viable in a real game in any way whatsoever... However..." and then goes on to rely on Wait until you have a Natural 20 on Portent and another that is either Low or High. and Hopefully beat Tiamat on initiative (using the second Portent to help)

That's a far cry from Sin Tee putting multiple videos up of him using Larian's poor design decisions to solo run the game. At this point you just sound like an apologist TBH.

The fact that he's using every broken Larian homebrew rule to do this with a single character, has no bearing on the fact that their homebrew rules, are in fact, broken.

Actually, the non-viable part of the level 4 Tiamat Cheese is getting access to Wave, a legendary weapon. The 2x portent rolls aren't impossible - and the initiative part is mainly to ensure the thought experiment has a 100% success rate (which even Sin Tee doesn't get in his attack rolls). Realistically, investing in the lucky or alert feat will basically guarantee a success it since Tiamat has a whooping +0 to initiative. Or better yet in a videogame context - reload.

The point is that RAW 5e is ripe with potential abuses, and without a DM to manage metagaming and videogame-isms like reloads, the system can be broken.

If you're simply going to be calling people with differing opinions apologists, I honestly don't see a point in further discussion.

Last edited by Topgoon; 18/03/21 04:05 AM.
Originally Posted by Topgoon

Actually, the non-viable part of the level 4 Tiamat Cheese is getting access to Wave, a legendary weapon. The 2x portent rolls aren't impossible - and the initiative part is mainly to ensure the thought experiment has a 100% success rate (which even Sin Tee doesn't get in his attack rolls). Realistically, investing in the lucky or alert feat will basically guarantee a success it since Tiamat has a whooping +0 to initiative. Or better yet in a videogame context - reload.

The point is that RAW 5e is ripe with potential abuses, and without a DM to manage metagaming and videogame-isms like reloads, the system can be broken.

If you're simply going to be calling people with differing opinions apologists, I honestly don't see a point in further discussion.

Getting wave isn't the only ridiculous and "never happening" part of that scenario. Read up on Tiamat's abilities, there's a reason she's level 30 CR.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of Tiamat's choice that is within 240 feet of Tiamat and aware of her must succeed on a DC 26 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Tiamat's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Frightened creatures can't willingly move closer to the source of their fright; a level 4 character never gets close enough to make use of portent, haste, or wave.

Regardless, none of that exercise in creating a ridiculous scenario that has no chance of actually occurring in tabletop DnD, has any bearing on Sin Tee's actually video proof of Larian's homebrew rules being broken in their deviation from actul 5th edition.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
At this point you just sound like an apologist TBH.
Modify your approach to discussions. You were very close to a short holiday for that one, especially as I have dropped a very clear warning in this very thread not to insult other posters.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I find baldurs gate 3 perfectly difficult. Its one of the last games i find enjoyable because its not super easy.

But some information on game mechanics could be added, right now you have to google out what weapon is dexterity based, what is strenght based, who can use metal armor and who cant, and what all the stuff actually really means. Game doesnt tell you almost any of it.

A
A
To be fair, the supply of useful consumables does seem quite limited. I've never got my hands on more than two lots of wyvern poison or 3-4 oils of sharpness, and I am tediously thorough, trading with even minor NPCs, searching out every treasure chest, etc. (Potions of invisibility and speed are more plentiful - maybe 15-20 of each if you search exhaustively - but they're much less impactful.) It means you can't just cheese your way through every encounter and have to conserve your resources for the truly hard battles.

Originally Posted by Modder
I find baldurs gate 3 perfectly difficult. Its one of the last games i find enjoyable because its not super easy.

But some information on game mechanics could be added, right now you have to google out what weapon is dexterity based, what is strenght based, who can use metal armor and who cant, and what all the stuff actually really means. Game doesnt tell you almost any of it.

Once you realize that broken game mechanics and rule changes trump class features and tactics, the game becomes a cake walk for all but the annoying fights where monsters have been changed in an attempt to compensate for the broken game mechanics.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree with this and will add.... just skip your characters altogether, summon the Imp, go invisible, kill enemies until it dies, then summon another, rinse and repeat.

I know how to make the game easy, but the problem is I don't want to. I don't want to play the Imp. I don't want to just sneak, throw barrels, and kill enemies with my familiars (I had a playthrough where I did 50% of the encounters with a cat). I want to enjoy all the cool spells and things Larian has put into the game. Unfortunately, the encounters are so difficult that I always have to resort to playing barrels, sneak, Imp, and 1 or 2 main weapons/spells in my arsenal. I haven't used 80% of the spells because if I try anything but the most damaging spells I have it ends up in a party wipe. I would love to see the data on how often each spell is used. I bet 10% of them are used 99% of the time. What good is having all these awesome things in the game if you can't use them.

This morning, I was using the Imp, I was invisible and sheathed, and snuck up behind a stationary character. My percent hit chance was 50%. Think about that. 50% to hit an unaware enemy a foot in front of me. I missed! Then, the guy who is across the room reading a map instantly casts bless, runs across the room, and fires a guiding bolt 30 feet up in the air, hits my other sheathed character who is hiding in the shadows, knocks them off the edge, and they fall to their death. So, I can't hit the stationary target in front of me, but an enemy who is engrossed in something else can immediately buff their party and kill one of my team who is not even in the room. So..... I stacked a room full of barrels and blew them all up as I typically have to do.

The game could be amazing. Unfortunately, I feel like the developers are so worried about making the game too easy that they make it so hard that you can't experiment or role play. I realize it must be an extremely difficult task to balance the game for the best players and well as beginners, but the current game balance seems to difficult and forces me to play it a specific way. Maybe they could add a difficulty slide where enemies have reduced perception or a reduction to their rolls. I want to be able to play the game with the difficulty as it is today for a challenge, but I also want to be able to experiment with all the cool things they have put in the game. The way the encounters are right now I just keep doing the same thing over and over in combat.

Originally Posted by FireyWarAxe
I agree with this and will add.... just skip your characters altogether, summon the Imp, go invisible, kill enemies until it dies, then summon another, rinse and repeat.

I know how to make the game easy, but the problem is I don't want to. I don't want to play the Imp. I don't want to just sneak, throw barrels, and kill enemies with my familiars (I had a playthrough where I did 50% of the encounters with a cat). I want to enjoy all the cool spells and things Larian has put into the game. Unfortunately, the encounters are so difficult that I always have to resort to playing barrels, sneak, Imp, and 1 or 2 main weapons/spells in my arsenal. I haven't used 80% of the spells because if I try anything but the most damaging spells I have it ends up in a party wipe. I would love to see the data on how often each spell is used. I bet 10% of them are used 99% of the time. What good is having all these awesome things in the game if you can't use them.

This morning, I was using the Imp, I was invisible and sheathed, and snuck up behind a stationary character. My percent hit chance was 50%. Think about that. 50% to hit an unaware enemy a foot in front of me. I missed! Then, the guy who is across the room reading a map instantly casts bless, runs across the room, and fires a guiding bolt 30 feet up in the air, hits my other sheathed character who is hiding in the shadows, knocks them off the edge, and they fall to their death. So, I can't hit the stationary target in front of me, but an enemy who is engrossed in something else can immediately buff their party and kill one of my team who is not even in the room. So..... I stacked a room full of barrels and blew them all up as I typically have to do.

The game could be amazing. Unfortunately, I feel like the developers are so worried about making the game too easy that they make it so hard that you can't experiment or role play. I realize it must be an extremely difficult task to balance the game for the best players and well as beginners, but the current game balance seems to difficult and forces me to play it a specific way. Maybe they could add a difficulty slide where enemies have reduced perception or a reduction to their rolls. I want to be able to play the game with the difficulty as it is today for a challenge, but I also want to be able to experiment with all the cool things they have put in the game. The way the encounters are right now I just keep doing the same thing over and over in combat.

These issues could have all been avoided for the most part, if Larian had stuck to 5E rules instead of modifying everything and adding in DOS features. Now they are stuck trying to change enemies, to fix the problem they've created with their homebrew rules.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
At this point you just sound like an apologist TBH.
Modify your approach to discussions. You were very close to a short holiday for that one, especially as I have dropped a very clear warning in this very thread not to insult other posters.

I don't think "apologist" is an insult, and saying someone sounds like one is even further removed. If he said, "You sound like their lawyer" would that be an insult? It's essentially the same thing. Is it bad to be a lawyer now? I am one, so I'd be personally insulted by that. I'm just trying to better understand the rules. Also, I don't mean to derail the conversation but you brought it up.

stranger
stranger
I agree.... We need a difficulty slider please!

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by FireyWarAxe

Thank you, this perfectly sums up what I think is wrong with this game.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I just got to the two minotaurs in the the underdark. My previous save was a few hours before this point so I had no choice but to fight them. I was only able to beat them because one of the minotaurs one shot the other one, plus shadowheart and wyll by doing a 76 damage jump off the cliff.

I spent 40 minutes trying to figure out how to maneuver Astarion and Wyll so they wouldn't die on the first turn. I eventually just came to the conclusion that I had to run and try again later, so I chugged 4 haste potions and sprinted out asap while one of the minotaurs was stunned with Halt.

My fight with dror I had to have my whole team hide while Halsin soloed 4-5 enemies as they trickled in through the door on the left. I couldn't have anyone but my main character, a battlemaster fighter with 16 ac and 30ish hp anywhere near the combat because they would just die in one turn. I tried positioning wyll and astarion on the rafters above so they could pick people off at a distance and with a height advantage but dror just ignored Halsin and my fighter and climbed up the ladder so he could knock the other two off and down them in one hit.

I agree with the quote above me, the combat should be doable without having to game the heck out of it or get really lucky.

Originally Posted by Mahalia
I just got to the two minotaurs in the the underdark. My previous save was a few hours before this point so I had no choice but to fight them. I was only able to beat them because one of the minotaurs one shot the other one, plus shadowheart and wyll by doing a 76 damage jump off the cliff.

I spent 40 minutes trying to figure out how to maneuver Astarion and Wyll so they wouldn't die on the first turn. I eventually just came to the conclusion that I had to run and try again later, so I chugged 4 haste potions and sprinted out asap while one of the minotaurs was stunned with Halt.

My fight with dror I had to have my whole team hide while Halsin soloed 4-5 enemies as they trickled in through the door on the left. I couldn't have anyone but my main character, a battlemaster fighter with 16 ac and 30ish hp anywhere near the combat because they would just die in one turn. I tried positioning wyll and astarion on the rafters above so they could pick people off at a distance and with a height advantage but dror just ignored Halsin and my fighter and climbed up the ladder so he could knock the other two off and down them in one hit.

I agree with the quote above me, the combat should be doable without having to game the heck out of it or get really lucky.

This is the consequence of Larian shifting the focus of combat from party members and their abilities, to maximizing the use of every environmental factor in every fight. It's no longer about how you use your characters and their abilities, as much as it is getting your characters in a position in the environment to do as much damage as quickly as possible via push/height/surface effects/barralmancy.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Ixal
As I said it before, the game gets hard when you play it as a D&D game.
Engaging enemies in melee without dipping, and things like cleave which does not exist in D&D the way Larian implemented it, without jumping behind someone to backstab, without using nonsense Larian grenades, without WMD barrels, without shoving being the main damage dealer and without having everyone being ranged and climb as high as possible or stealthing even though they suck at stealth which does not matter because of the short vision cones.

Man I do none of that stuff, and have never found anything majorly difficult in the combat other than maybe the spider matriarch, and that thing in the under dark that pops from the ground (sorry can't think of its name atm). Yeah there is a couple fights that I wipe on a few times, but that is the way it should be. Though I will admit, I use the crap out of cleave. But the only one I put behind an enemy is the rogue.

Yeah Larian cheese is almost hilarious, but it is not necessary to fight any of the battles to be able to conquer them efficiently.

journeyman
journeyman
Use the "F5" button. This allows you to autosave whenever you might enter into danger.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Madscientist
The game is hard if you play it like a DnD game.
The game is easy if you cheese the hell out of it.

This right here is exactly my problem. I don't want to cheese fights by abusing jump, shove, or tiny movement exploits.

I don't want to be forced to "use the environment" for every battle. I want my fighter to fight and my Wizards to use their spells to beat the encounter.

Not drop a candle and ignite my sword on fire. lol, like what the hell is that??

Even in an D&D game, basic physics still applies. And whenever it doesn't. we call it "magic". Which, IMO, is much more fun being a special or rarer thing.

Right now the rarest thing in BG3 EA is a human. Or an NPC who isn't also a spell caster. Every goblin, bandit, and merchant I've met can cast 2nd level spells. I mean come on.. each class is supposed to be heroic. Not common!

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by Ixal
As I said it before, the game gets hard when you play it as a D&D game.
Engaging enemies in melee without dipping, and things like cleave which does not exist in D&D the way Larian implemented it, without jumping behind someone to backstab, without using nonsense Larian grenades, without WMD barrels, without shoving being the main damage dealer and without having everyone being ranged and climb as high as possible or stealthing even though they suck at stealth which does not matter because of the short vision cones.

Man I do none of that stuff, and have never found anything majorly difficult in the combat other than maybe the spider matriarch, and that thing in the under dark that pops from the ground (sorry can't think of its name atm). Yeah there is a couple fights that I wipe on a few times, but that is the way it should be. Though I will admit, I use the crap out of cleave. But the only one I put behind an enemy is the rogue.

Yeah Larian cheese is almost hilarious, but it is not necessary to fight any of the battles to be able to conquer them efficiently.

@Pandemonica We must be playing two different games, because the only way my lvl 2 party could possibly beat the Spider matriarch fight was by cheesing it with the environment. I tried it at least 8 times.

Between herself, two phase spiders, and the 20 or so spider-lings, unless you got lucky with crits. It was practically impossible.

All the three spiders will teleport away (without triggering any attacks of opportunity) and kill a party member in one or two turns. Oh and IIRC, also poisoning them with disadvantage for the rest of the fight lol.

You couldn't out heal that damage and you couldn't get close. GGWP

Last edited by Hagrim; 21/02/22 04:28 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Why are you trying the Matriarch fight as level 2, even? First times I played BG it was quite dificult, but those encounters I found hard then are easy now. Even minotaurs or the Bulette are not that big of a challenge. The most difficult fight in the entire EA is the Githyanki Patrol (that one is still very hard after 200 hrs of gameplay) and the Matriarch Spider.

I find it refreshing that there are difficclt fights where you have to think carefully about the use of potions and skills. I almost never use environmmental stuff to win the battle and that Dror fight isn't all that hard to fight out normally. It's not reasy but it's marely a reasonable challenge if you know how to build and equip your characters. But of course it helps that I have played this EA through so many times.

Howeve,r there will be a difficulty slider when the game relases, so I really don't see the problem here.

Last edited by Cantila; 21/02/22 06:12 PM.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard