Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by DiDiDi
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Romantism they could have options in menu.
A. Keep it soft romantism as it is currently.
B. Ramp it up to full nudity.
C. Disable it no romantism in game.
That's not what I meant - I don't mind the erotic scenes (as long as they fix the glitches, armor clipping etc.). Having an option to disable romances is dumb, you should be able to do it through, you know, role playing. The romances (that lead to those scenes) just need to be scripted/written better.

I am pretty sure there are no license preventing them making it more according to the core rules.
I meant the opposite - a game set in Forgotten Realms that does not really use D&D rules.
Aha ok then we agree on romantism.

I do not want this game to become DOS3 thank you. I like the core DD rules. I did not even finish playing through DOS2 felt to average to me. Well not saying I hated or disliked very much DOS2 and more like it felt average and to much of my time to play it through.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 23/01/21 05:16 PM.
M
M
I like the game a lot so far, but:
  • The approval system and points allocations are weird (and abusable, if you're not a hard-core roleplayer) - and I'm not talking about the infinite approval bugs, those will get fixed for sure. I would rather make approval a hidden value and make the companions voice their disapproval, rather than seeing "X (dis)approves" (and probably make them generally less judgemental to balance that change).
I would like that change as well. Would be one less incitement to min-max your approval ratings for certain characters and just stay true to the kind of character and story that you would like to play.

D
D
I do not want this game to become DOS3 thank you.
Neither do I, but I think I would like that system better than a weird hybrid of DOS and D&D. I'm all for getting closer to the 5e rules where it makes sense. There's plenty of places where this game could follow the P&P rules, but just doesn't for some reason and the game is worse due to that. Especially the ease of getting advantage basically breaks all balance that 5e has, making many abilities and spells useless.

Last edited by DiDiDi; 23/01/21 05:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
1. If I could get a refund I would.

2. Larian Studios has now joined the companies who's games I will look at like a year or so after release when they are on sale for 75-80 % off.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by marajango
I like the game a lot so far, but:
  • The approval system and points allocations are weird (and abusable, if you're not a hard-core roleplayer) - and I'm not talking about the infinite approval bugs, those will get fixed for sure. I would rather make approval a hidden value and make the companions voice their disapproval, rather than seeing "X (dis)approves" (and probably make them generally less judgemental to balance that change).
I would like that change as well. Would be one less incitement to min-max your approval ratings for certain characters and just stay true to the kind of character and story that you would like to play.

This never works. This is for players who want to play suboptimally to feel better by having the impact of their choices be less apparent, but people who always analyze and optimize games will simply test out and obtain exact measurements, and all you've accomplished is that people who are interested in approval check outcomes have to minimize the game to go read up on a third party website some guide to find out how to optimize their gameplay strategies.

Obscurantism never fixes anything, it just restricts needlessly.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Comparing Solasta to BG3 is like comparing your high school baseball team to the New York Yankees. Sure High school baseball can be fun but, there is No comparison.

I can't think of any game that is similar in scale and stunning graphics and details story, where you can do a quest 5 times and get 5 different results. It's ground breaking and its a shame there are a certain amount of people that don't recognize this yet.

and all done in a non "cartoon" setting (all the other games are cartoon cheap and easy to do). BG3 is really amazing work.

Last edited by Tabuk; 31/03/21 05:18 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tabuk
Comparing Solasta to BG3 is like comparing your high school baseball team to the New York Yankees. Sure High school baseball can be fun but, there is No comparison.

I can't think of any game that is similar in scale and stunning graphics and details story, where you can do a quest 5 times and get 5 different results. It's ground breaking and its a shame there are a certain amount of people that don't recognize this yet.

and all done in a non "cartoon" setting (all the other games are cartoon cheap and easy to do). BG3 is really amazing work.

It's VERY much amazing!! I love it!! That is also why I want it to improve as much as possible, to make it even better!

veteran
veteran
It's ground breaking and its a shame there are a certain amount of people that don't recognize this yet.

Many people agree with this but this doesn't mean that the game is perfect. I.E Combats being not so good for a tactical TB game and very unbalanced/frustrating/easy but also hard/systematic/... is facts.

You're free to like unbalanced difficulty and god mode strategies but it doesn't mean that the game shouldn't be improved on major points.

None of us would be here if we wouldn't agree on the incredible potential/qualities of the game.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/03/21 06:22 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Banned
Banned

If it's just comparing the aesthetics and story, then sure, BG3 is leagues ahead of Solasta. But if it's combat that's being compared, then Solasta leaves BG3 in the dust. There's very little in BG3's combat that is tactical. If Solasta's combat is chess, then Bg3's is checkers.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
You're free to like unbalanced difficulty and god mode strategies but it doesn't mean that the game shouldn't be improved on major points.

None of us would be here if we wouldn't agree on the incredible potential/qualities of the game.
That's the thing: it's fun to find that "overpowered strategy" and "break the game" when you have to go out of your way to leverage your knowledge of the system.
It's not that fun when the game is almost purposefully designed to break itself apart at every minimal finger pressure from the user. When the "jankiness" is part of the core design and the developers go out of their way to show it to you at any public demonstration, taking even pride on it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
@Tuco:
I agree. DnD 5E is a working system and it has millions of players. Sure, it can be broken, but it requires some efford from the player.
BG3 is "balanced" around stuff that should not work in DnD, but it is still advertised as DnD game.

about BG3 vs Solasta:
Sure, BG3 is bigger, has better graphics, very interactive environment, many ways to solve quests and so on.
But if we only look at game mechanics and user interface, Solasta is way better.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
I think Solasta has proven that 5e adaptation to a video game is more than possible, and it's a big deal. But unfortunately, other than that Solasta has nothing going on for it. The gameplay is too slow (characters take too long to do stuff which makes combat really slow), the story is so boring I want to shut down the game every time there is a cutscene and there are no characters.

I wish Baldur's gate 3 will do more Solasta stuff for sure, but there is no doubt which game I'll play more in the long run

Last edited by Abits; 01/04/21 08:28 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
addict
addict
S

Not that I agree with the comparison as Solasta seems more like a D&D simulator than a game to my limited knowledge, but what's *truly* is a shame, is that you and a certain amount of people don't recognize the validity of criticisms because you miss the point. By far most of the criticism goes to gameplay issues related to Larian's heavy-handed preference of their own homebrew cheese rather than seemingly even trying any of the many D&D alternatives. Alternatives that for well-argued reasons are seen as better than what is currently in the game. Having a more faithful implementation of D&D is the one issue almost all fans of BG3 agree upon according to early polls.

I'm one of "those people" who are vocally critical of the above, but remain active hopeful of improvements while all the same recognizing BG3 has a great deal of promise. We are generally not advocating throwing out the baby with the bathwater as you seem to think, far from it.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Abits
I think Solasta has proven that 5e adaptation to a video game is more than possible, and it's a big deal. But unfortunately, other than that Solasta has nothing going on for it. The gameplay is too slow (characters take too long to do stuff which makes combat really slow), the story is so boring I want to shut down the game every time there is a cutscene and there are no characters.

I wish Baldur's gate 3 will do more Solasta stuff for sure, but there is no doubt which game I'll play more in the long run

That's the thing. Solasta has maxed out for the budget it has, resources it has, and coming from a very small studio. Certain adaptations to 5e mechanics were done properly in that game and everyone can see that, which is why Solasta is referenced so much on the forum.

The other criticisms with Solasta are largely due to the fact that they're a smaller studio than Larian with less money than Larian. In essence, Solasta can't ever be more like BG but BG3 can be more like Solasta.

Larian has the resources to improve their game.

The cinematics and gfx are the only thing holding BG3 together. No one can deny the game is beautiful and the gfx on max settings with the cutscenes and cinematics really pull you into the game and make it seem more alive.

But that's where it ends. Once you get into the combat, some of the writing, the numerous bugs, wonky adaptions, Larian cheese, excessive loot, etc. that begins to overshadow a fully-voiced game with cute cutscenes.

Don't know about you, but I'd choose a dull/flat looking game with better gameplay over a pretty game with crap gameplay and lots of other issues.

I suspect that if Solasta were multiplayer they would cannibalize BG3's revenue and Larian better hope and pray that they don't find a way to implement this in the full game or a later update.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by gaymer
The cinematics and gfx are the only thing holding BG3 together. No one can deny the game is beautiful and the gfx on max settings with the cutscenes and cinematics really pull you into the game and make it seem more alive.

But that's where it ends. Once you get into the combat, some of the writing, the numerous bugs, wonky adaptions, Larian cheese, excessive loot, etc. that begins to overshadow a fully-voiced game with cute cutscenes.

Don't know about you, but I'd choose a dull/flat looking game with better gameplay over a pretty game with crap gameplay and lots of other issues.

I suspect that if Solasta were multiplayer they would cannibalize BG3's revenue and Larian better hope and pray that they don't find a way to implement this in the full game or a later update.
I don't play BG3 for the cinematics (or really any game), and I agree about a lot of the criticism regarding combat. But I've enjoyed BG3 because of the exploration factor: how the different area maps are connected, the different ways you can deal with npcs and factions in the game, using different skills for exploration (druids shine here, imo). And this is all unrelated to either combat or cinematics.

I have no interest in Solasta and that is not because of multiplayer. It is because all the praise about it seems to be related to combat, but I could find little info about the quests, main plot, npcs, how much of the world is open. And what little info I could find indicated it is a linear story with no branching.

If I wanted to play a game just for combat, I'd go for a strategy instead of a cRPG.

Last edited by ash elemental; 01/04/21 11:16 AM.
M
Banned
Banned
M
All the praise Solasta gets is from Solasta's makers who promote it here disguised as fellow gaymers. Quite cheap and good marketing idea really, props for that, sad that the game sucks.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MrSam
All the praise Solasta gets is from Solasta's makers who promote it here disguised as fellow gaymers. Quite cheap and good marketing idea really, props for that, sad that the game sucks.

Seriously guy, grow up.
Don't understand how you're still here after this day of troll/taunt/insult.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Seriously guy, grow up.

He's not.

In more general terms, maybe the Solasta discussion should go in the chat forum; however well intentioned, it seems that comparisons with BG3 can become quite animated and don't always end well.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
Seriously guy, grow up.

He's not.

In more general terms, maybe the Solasta discussion should go in the chat forum; however well intentioned, it seems that comparisons with BG3 can become quite animated and don't always end well.

i don't think it's fair that entire topics get shut down because people that don't like those topics can just make troll comments about them purposely trying to shut down discussion

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by vometia
Seriously guy, grow up.

He's not.

i don't think it's fair that entire topics get shut down because people that don't like those topics can just make troll comments about them purposely trying to shut down discussion

It's not really troll posts more heated discussions that get out of hand, I was in a thread earlier that got a warning, I edited my post I was going to do and went for more on the topic. Was in the mid of a reply later on and the thread got locked because of others, so I swapped to personal messages. This happens, its a public forum.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard