Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
The issues with combats is a bit more complex that "they heal out of combats". They should probably heal out of combats and we should certainly not be able to kill them while everyone is "out of combats".

If minotaurs and bulette are extremely hard, it's not because you can't exploit mechanics anymore... It's because they are way too powerfull.

If they are OP it's because they would be too easy for players that use the OP mechanics...

These combats are extremely frustrating but you know... Choices have consequence so something else has to change, leading to other consequences...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/04/21 05:13 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Originally Posted by Jabber_Wocky
I've just entered the Underdark at level 3 via the Zentharim hideout elevator, and am facing two minotaurs that I have to get past. I try to shoot one from above the cliff out of hiding with chill touch, because the spell SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT ANY CREATURE HIT WITH IT CAN! NOT! REGAIN!!! HITPOINTS!!!!

Minotaur instantly heals back to full.

Larian. Fix your shit. This is not D&D. This is a farce!

Yeah, I noticed this when I got the doom axe from the Zentarim and gave it to Mirkon to slay with(Much better to just give him the minotaur greatclub, he can kill a good portion of the NPCs in this game faster than they can heal) Though technically chill touch is only restricted to the current combat turn, so as long as they wait 6 seconds or so before healing(which they don't always, whacking away with the doom axe they sometimes heal twice in two seconds), it would makes sense. But even worse, I can place a sussur blossom next to an NPC, or even plant a sussur blossum on it via pickpocketing, and it can still magically heal itself outside of combat.

addict
addict
PLANNING for cheese and gimmicks is how you win battles in BG3. ITS FUN. The perfect scapegoat for a broken unbalanced class/battle system.
To be fair, the same could be said for BG2...unless you use SCS , Revised battles, and Atweaks mod and get pulverized in a matter of seconds without proper thought and planning.
The Modding community will be BG3's savior.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 02/04/21 01:16 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Zenith
and Hold.

Frightening Attack is the single most reliable CC setup in the game, and 2H fighter is the most powerful class by far, especially if supported by a Bless bot cleric supplementing damage with Inflict Wounds.

Yeah, about that. Larian overpowered Menacing Attack, too. Or rather the Frightened condition that it inflicts.

The Frightened condition does not make enemies flee and trigger AoO's. It gives disadvantage to attacks and stops you from moving closer to the source of fear. So a Frightened Bulette or Minotaur would still keep fighting, just with a disadvantage for one turn. And they would not give you free attacks on them.

So, another house rule that breaks balance. Not much incentive to pick Eldritch Knight when Menacing Strike from Battlemaster just single handedly destroys all the toughest enemies. Boss fights are generally why you have a Wizard in the party who can CC and peak perform, but funnily enough they don't have anything as powerful as Menacing Strike in its current form. Best they can do is DPS with the OP magic missile amulet, which is also rather backwards for their intended low level role.

Maybe Larian just hates 5e and would rather make a DOS 3.

Larian is treating fear the same way it works in DOS1 and DOS2, where the enemy loses its turn by running away and disregarding an attacks or damage. Again, this is Larian re-using mechanics from their previous games.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I put wyvern poison on my level 1 rogue's daggers and 1shot the baulette in one turn. You have to use the tools at your disposal mate

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dudeface
I put wyvern poison on my level 1 rogue's daggers and 1shot the baulette in one turn. You have to use the tools at your disposal mate

Maybe he already use it VS minotaurs or queen spider.

Larian should probably give us more 7D6 poison ! (please don't, this was an unfunny joke)

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
The issues with combats is a bit more complex that "they heal out of combats". They should probably heal out of combats and we should certainly not be able to kill them while everyone is "out of combats".

If minotaurs and bulette are extremely hard, it's not because you can't exploit mechanics anymore... It's because they are way too powerfull.

If they are OP it's because they would be too easy for players that use the OP mechanics...

These combats are extremely frustrating but you know... Choices have consequence so something else has to change, leading to other consequences...

Larian has created this issue with their own design:

DOS combat mechanics, caused them to try to increase monster abilities and such to compensate for DOS not being compatible with 5E rules.

Then to try and compensate for everyone abusing broken stealth, they introduced healing out of combat.

If they'd started with 5E, and only modified what needed to be modified to work better in a videogame, instead of starting with DOS, then they wouldn't have this plethora of issues that they are now playing whack-a-mole trying to compensate for.

veteran
veteran
Ok this new mechanic just doesn't work.

Every time you deal damage from stealth or something that doesn't trigger combat, enemies heal to full. And it looks like a spectacular magic heal with huge visuals of course. I just wasted some alchemist's fire trying to soften up a group of enemies. They just healed to full. And then again after taking another tick of damage.

I'm starting to hate the whole arcade game feel I'm getting. This is supposed to be an RPG. They fix something that wasn't broken (5e), then create a couple of new problems, then fix the new problems with some new awful mechanics that take the game further from the actual ruleset.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard