Next Thread
Print Thread
#768542 06/04/21 01:24 PM
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
There is no official disclosure on the amount of money that has been budgeted by Larian to develop and produce BG3.

Based on my understanding (and assumptions) from what i have seen previously with other games i think that BG3 would have a $100 mil + budget easily.

It is public knowledge that Larian have (they have confirmed this) over 300 staff working across 6 international studios.

Say if we only say 4 years of development 300 staff on say an average of $70,000 per year is $21,000,000 and times by four this is $84,000,000. Then you have other development costs plus after release care of the game will easily add up to 100 mil +.

I honestly think BG3 is going to be on another level epic. The only issue i currently see that might de-rail it is if Larian over do the wokeness for example the last star wars movies had big budgets but the extreme wokeness completely killed the franchise, user reviews where average 4 out of 10 across meta-critic ect...

Fingers crossed this game will be done right and the woke crap will be toned down.

addict
addict
I just hope they don't invest money in marketing like CD project did. It's better if they focus on the game.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
It's called "investment in marketing" rather than "money sink" precisely because it usually repays itself with the results.
And yeah, I'm sure they'd be devastated to sell as well as CD Projekt Red.

There were a lot of problems with CP2077, but I'm fairly sure that "spending too much in marketing" wasn't their main issue.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
It's called "investment in marketing" rather than "money sink" precisely because it usually repays itself with the results.
And yeah, I'm sure they'd be devastated to sell as well as CD Projekt Red.

There were a lot of problems with CP2077, but I'm fairly sure that "spending too much in marketing" wasn't their main issue.

The problem is that they advertised a completely raw project as perfect, ready-made, and interesting, and advertised it very hard, which made it worse for them in the end. This marketing did not bring them a "good result", as it damaged their reputation. Marketing itself is not bad, but not at a time when everything else is VERY BAD. So, yea, it would be better if they invested this money in something else. Sharing priorities wouldn't hurt.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by teclis23
The only issue i currently see that might de-rail it is if Larian over do the wokeness for example the last star wars movies had big budgets but the extreme wokeness completely killed the franchise, user reviews where average 4 out of 10 across meta-critic ect...
Sure, because that was the sequels' issue...

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Nyloth
I just hope they don't invest money in marketing like CD project did. It's better if they focus on the game.

People still keep hating it. CDPR killed it. Just watch Steam's Winter Sales, its top seller even after 1 year. Even Witcher 3 sells, and thats like 5 year old.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 05/01/22 03:58 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
100mill budget, just another proof its not coming this year imho. I wont EA. This game is gonna build quite interesting, some are EA-stage, some Pre-Order stage.

At least Larian could give Battle Generator for players to design battles, and have fun.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 05/01/22 04:02 AM.
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Nyloth
The problem is that they advertised a completely raw project as perfect, ready-made, and interesting, and advertised it very hard, which made it worse for them in the end. This marketing did not bring them a "good result", as it damaged their reputation. Marketing itself is not bad, but not at a time when everything else is VERY BAD. So, yea, it would be better if they invested this money in something else. Sharing priorities wouldn't hurt.

Vaguely reminiscent of Larian stating BG3 is a faithful adaptation of D&D 😂😂😂

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard