Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm playing as a warlock and I've noticed a trend among my class specific dialogue options; they all make me sound like an idiot. There's a devil after us? Everyone relax, I'm a warlock. I've got this. Impending doom? No sweat, my patron watches over me (this, despite all the bad stuff that's happened to us without any input from my patron).

I was hoping that my experience as a warlock would lend me some insight into certain situations. After all, I'm no stranger to risky deals, and people in BG3 are offering me sketchy deals ALL THE TIME. Astarion even says as much. "You know how dangerous the wrong deal can be".

What's everyone else's experience with class dialogue?

Last edited by footface; 07/04/21 06:54 PM.
old hand
old hand
Judging from the Bard class mod, the Bard is all around rather whimsical or wholesome depending on the situation. A small sampling in the spoilers below, including one that actually changes a fight significantly.

- Bards have two class dialogue paths when talking to Alfira. One has you help her directly finish her song, the other really discourages her.

- There's several Bard-specific dialogue options during every meeting with Volo, mostly either sassing at him or joining in with his exaggerations.

- Bard gets to roll a performance check to basically rap their way past the Goblin guards into the Blighted Village.

- You get the ability to break the tiefling child free from the Harpy song by essentially singing a Countercharm, and the Bard then becomes completely immune to Luring Song for the duration of the battle.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 07/04/21 07:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Judging from the Bard class mod, the Bard is all around rather whimsical or wholesome depending on the situation. A small sampling in the spoilers below, including one that actually changes a fight significantly.

- Bards have two class dialogue paths when talking to Alfira. One has you help her directly finish her song, the other really discourages her.

- There's several Bard-specific dialogue options during every meeting with Volo, mostly either sassing at him or joining in with his exaggerations.

- Bard gets to roll a performance check to basically rap their way past the Goblin guards into the Blighted Village.

- You get the ability to break the tiefling child free from the Harpy song by essentially singing a Countercharm, and the Bard then becomes completely immune to Luring Song for the duration of the battle.
Sounds great! Maybe Bard will be the next class added.

In general the more class dialogue the better. I love it!

old hand
old hand
Oh man, I knew playing a bard was gonna be awesome. I can't wait.

Druids and wizards get a good amount of class dialogue - druids mostly in the Grove, of course, and wizards when talking to Gale. Rogues and fighters seemed to get almost nothing.

old hand
old hand
I almost forgot I was even in this thread.

Back on the topic of Bard's effect on that one fight... I've kind of realized that something about it actually changed between the last patch and the current patch. In fact, the last few bugfix patches might have stealth changed it even more. Which could suggest that Bard could be the class we're getting next, although it's more likely that the devs are working on all of the classes little by little at once.

I remember Luring Song used to affect the Bard during the previous patch if the Harpies recast it during the fight, even if the Bard had succeeded in the check to break the song's effect on the tiefling boy. Since the patch though, the Bard is completely immune to it during the fight, with the game even showing you an 'Immune to Lured' text effect when their turn comes around, despite the Luring Song status effect still appearing on their portrait.

I also remember the last time I played the game before the mini-patches, the Bard did not have advantage in their exclusive Performance check to break the song (not that they need it, the Bard should have enough stacking modifiers to roll a 1 and still succeed). Now, the Bard gets to make that roll with advantage. Though it's possible I simply never noticed that the roll could be done with advantage, as again, the Bard could roll a 1 and still succeed.

But yeah, Bard may not be particularly plot relevant at any given point in the story like Druid and Cleric, but I imagine they'll get the most class-exclusive dialogue spread out through the whole game due to the very nature of their class anyway. I've observed even more Bard dialogue with people and situations most people wouldn't expect.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 13/04/21 09:22 AM.
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by footface
I'm playing as a warlock and I've noticed a trend among my class specific dialogue options; they all make me sound like an idiot. There's a devil after us? Everyone relax, I'm a warlock. I've got this. Impending doom? No sweat, my patron watches over me (this, despite all the bad stuff that's happened to us without any input from my patron).

I was hoping that my experience as a warlock would lend me some insight into certain situations. After all, I'm no stranger to risky deals, and people in BG3 are offering me sketchy deals ALL THE TIME. Astarion even says as much. "You know how dangerous the wrong deal can be".

What's everyone else's experience with class dialogue?

That actually sounds really disappointing. :[ Obviously, a really overconfident warlock would make for a fun roleplaying session - but I would really assume that there would be this more... Down-to-earth warlock that is of the more cautious and/or cunning nature.

Ranger's get some options that pop up every now and then. A few appear at the goblin camp and then obviously you have some at the swamp.

And you're in for a fun response if you tell Astarion you could make herbal tea to make him less anxious during the first time you camp. :]

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
journeyman
journeyman
I've just started playing a halfling ranger, and I've noticed some class-specific dialogues, including the one Dez mentioned above. I was half expecting a response like that thanks to the classic Dracula line. delight A couple of them have been helpful, but nothing really noteworthy so far.

On a side-note (about race-specific dialogue options), I was suprised at how many halfling options there were (at least in the Grove).

I played a warlock on my first play through, and I don't recall many specific dialogue options for them, but the few I do recall were not something my character would say. They did sound arrogant/boastful, and I don't think they should assume that all warlocks would be like that. I think it would be helpful if the class-specific lines were functional (i.e. based on their abilities/knowledge) rather than indicating a specific personality.

For my druid, there were at least a few options that seemed appropriate (e.g. stuff about cleansing the land), but I didn't like that their tone was overly formal at times (in contrast to the other options). I feel like that would be less likely with someone in-tune with nature and less urbanised.

Link Copied to Clipboard