Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
veteran
veteran
About romances: I like Shadowheart. She is my goto romance now.
I tried the others, but I don't like that Gale and Wyll have emotional baggage in Form of a goddess and a demon, Lae'zels romance is kind of creepy and I don't like Astarion (I even did rat him out to that Gur once - that was fun).
I have high hopes for Karlach, whom I already like more than the rest of the companions combined.

Last edited by fylimar; 07/04/21 02:24 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar
About romances: I like Shadowheart. She is my goto romance now.
I tried the others, but I don't like that Gale and Wyll have emotional baggage in Form of a goddess and a demon, Lae'zels romance is kind of creepy and I don't like Astarion (I even did rat him out to that Gur once - that was fun).
I have high hopes for Karlach, whom I already like more than the rest of the companions combined.

Totally fair! Although my real-life sexual preferences do influence my first romantic targets, I always go for the others in the next playthroughs (or through the ever-trusty savescumming). The only exception is Minthara because she wants me to kill an entire grove of people and I just don't have the energy; Ma'am, we just met.

That said, I don't understand all the finger-wagging in this thread at trying to get into a villain's pants when D&D is famous for having bards fluting with dragons.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by BeeBee
I leave for six weeks and this thread about which companion is the most worthy of our sexy chars is still going? And nobody is pointing at the obvious, which is that Jergal should be the One Night Stand by excellence?
Well, if we are picking anyone we want, then I have to admit there is actually one npc that did pique my curiosity.

Korrilla
who burst in like a knight in shining armor to save my hapless character. grin

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ash elemental
I leave for six weeks and this thread about which companion is the most worthy of our sexy chars is still going? And nobody is pointing at the obvious, which is that Jergal should be the One Night Stand by excellence?
Well, if we are picking anyone we want, then I have to admit there is actually one npc that did pique my curiosity.

Korrilla
who burst in like a knight in shining armor to save my hapless character. grin

Ohhhhh you are SO RIGHT. She's so hot, and she has so much swagger!

On a related note, most of the Zhentarim are such snacks too, although I don't think that Larian would indulge us... the cost of dubbing and motion-capturing all those people would be astronomical.

old hand
old hand
You jest, but an unconventional romance with a our talkative skeleton friend sounds like it could be very fun and a bit sweet. Especially if this was not in line with his experiences/predictions making it new territory for him.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 07/04/21 10:01 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don't like that Gale and Wyll have emotional baggage in Form of a goddess and a demon
Agree!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I don't like that Gale and Wyll have emotional baggage in Form of a goddess and a demon
Agree!

It's just part of the grand tradition for male love interests in RPGs. I'm not sure why that's been such a thing...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Agree!
It's just part of the grand tradition for male love interests in RPGs. I'm not sure why that's been such a thing...
As long as none of them say you remind them of their dead wife, I can deal with it. Yes, I'm looking at you, BioWare.

I have to be completely honest.... I don't like any of the current options. Not one of them fits with the persona I have for my characters. But hey, I am picky in game just like in real life. As for the current options I am really not a fan of them as adventure partners either. I sincerly hope that Larian introduces a few more options before the end of the first act or I may end up soloing beyond that. We seriously need another thief, fighter, and cleric options that don't make me want to kill them after first meeting them. Heck.. that Zent halfling merchant in goblin town has a more practical and amenable personality than the ones we got thrown in with. Now she might make an excellent thief companion or lover.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
You jest, but an unconventional romance with a our talkative skeleton friend sounds like it could be very fun and a bit sweet. Especially if this was not in line with his experiences/predictions making it new territory for him.

I'm not jesting at all. Talkative Skelleton ticks every single one of my boxes, he's basically Hades. Specially with the new patch, when he comes to help you as soon as one of your companions are down, regardless of whether you explored the chapel or not.

old hand
old hand
Specially with the new patch, when he comes to help you as soon as one of your companions are down, regardless of whether you explored the chapel or not.

He does?! Great, now I have to kill someone to try this out...

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
I feel like the word romance needs to be a bit more cautious though after what they put me through in Divinity 2. XD

Most are more or less abandon you after the ending, Red Prince dump you for someone he just met that is supposedly his destiny. The word "romance" could just mean booty call. In general, you could see that in people like Lae'zel.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by AvatarOfSHODAN
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
True. And -- as you say -- it is because he has been written as a seducer but it is also due, in part, to the fact that he has the greatest potential for growth as character. In the morning after scene we (literally and figuratively) see how wounded he his and how his life would improve were he freed of his master.

Shadowheart had the same potential but Patch 3 kinda ruined her. She went from being a tough nut to crack, the person who lets very few people past her armor, to someone who gets gushy and cuddly after a night of kissing.

Notice how Shadowheart's meme economy has fallen while Astarian's has risen? Before the SH changes people were making goth-shadowheart / shadowheart disapproves memes. Now that she's gotten so darn agreeable people have turned their attention to the traumatized vampire spawn.

Is that a fair assessment though? Patch 3's disapproval change was for all the characters, which implied that the even the developers felt that the gateway to getting to know the characters was a tad too narrow. It was something even said in their recent interview. Hell, even Patch 4 added reading Astarion's mind, which made me sympathize for him in a scene I had otherwise read him as wholly manipulative before. The patch didn't ruin her.

The Shadowheart Larian wants players to know is more visible to see in Patch 3 than before, and the memes were of a caricature rather than the character itself (as all memes are). When people say the female characters are too mean I always want to correct them and say only Lae'zel is mean (bless her heart). Shadowheart was always intended to have a soft heart beneath it all.

I also think romances are most popular with women, and online fandom participation is more popular with women. So it does not surprise me that Astarion fans eclipse the fans of other characters in fandom spaces. No hate on that since I am part of that demographic. But I wouldn't use that as a metric of which character is the best written since I've seen many of these same fans boot or kill Shadowheart because she overrides Astarion's scenes. Give Astarion a chance by all means, but do the same to the others lol.
Did you know that almost all the phone game with "dating" components are aiming exclusively at straight guys. These dating sims type games tend to be more popular with guys as well. They made billions of dollars on that audience alone. In almost any game, the romance contents tend to be aiming at straight guys just based on the number of options and contents, so I would say it's the opposite. With that being said, the most popular romance is Gale followed by Shadowheart, based on their data. That should give you some indications because Gale's romance is pretty buggy and you could miss it if you don't get all of his approval scenes, and yet his romance is the most popular option based on actual statistic data. You can't judge the number of fans based on online presence. There are cases of passionate fans or "stans" who participate in these discussion more but when the polls or actual data are revealed, these characters fall behind in popularity.

Originally Posted by Hilarian
Did you know that almost all the phone game with "dating" components are aiming exclusively at straight guys. These dating sims type games tend to be more popular with guys as well. They made billions of dollars on that audience alone. In almost any game, the romance contents tend to be aiming at straight guys just based on the number of options and contents, so I would say it's the opposite. With that being said, the most popular romance is Gale followed by Shadowheart, based on their data. That should give you some indications because Gale's romance is pretty buggy and you could miss it if you don't get all of his approval scenes, and yet his romance is the most popular option based on actual statistic data. You can't judge the number of fans based on online presence. There are cases of passionate fans or "stans" who participate in these discussion more but when the polls or actual data are revealed, these characters fall behind in popularity.

That's exactly my point. Online presence does not equal true popularity. Larian's data outright states that. To my deeper point, I don't think how well received a character is or not equates to them being well or poorly written. If the narrative elements of the character are falling apart, then we'll talk. So far I like what we have for all the characters after seeing much of their scenes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As a wise man said, encourage the creative fans; you can only tell one story, they can write a million (and promote yours in the process). From that point of view, Astarion (and Halsin!) are excellent ambassadors to entice new players, even if once they are in the game they discover Gale's charms and culinary prowess.

I would also like to take a look at Larian's data, because in the same breath as they released the romanceable "favourites" they said that 75% of the players chose to behave honourably, which can lock out Astarion and Lae'zel pretty easily. Lae'zel's quest is very unfinished, and you don't need her in the party as much as you need Shadowheart, a healer... so that also decreases your chance to interact with her.

So, are the players actually going for Gale and Shadowheart or are they just settling?

veteran
veteran
There are some interesting character, we've met in the game, I would love as companions (doesn't have to be romances, just full fledged companions with a story): Alfira, Karlach (ok, she will be a companion and I'm looking forward to her), Abdirak, Halsin or Nettie or Kagha - all three would be interesting, but Halsin already is a travel companion, that deep gnome, you save at the windmill, one of the myconids, Mol.
All very interesting characters and it would be a shame, if they were just gone from the game. I can see us meeting some of them in Baldurs Gate again, but still, I want to know more about them.

Doctor Who
addict
addict
There are some interesting character, we've met in the game, I would love as companions (doesn't have to be romances, just full fledged companions with a story): Alfira, Karlach (ok, she will be a companion and I'm looking forward to her), Abdirak, Halsin or Nettie or Kagha - all three would be interesting, but Halsin already is a travel companion, that deep gnome, you save at the windmill, one of the myconids, Mol.
All very interesting characters and it would be a shame, if they were just gone from the game. I can see us meeting some of them in Baldurs Gate again, but still, I want to know more about them.

I don't think someone with a standard face will be our companion. Karlach have this one npc face. So how do people have the information that she will be our companion?

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyloth

I don't think someone with a standard face will be our companion. Karlach have this one npc face. So how do people have the information that she will be our companion?
Datamining. She seems to be confirmed. She might get another face in the final release.

Doctor Who
H
journeyman
journeyman
H

From the datamine, we will likely get 3 more companions, one male and 2 females. One of the classes is ranger. One of the launch companions will be a fan favorite returning from the previous 2 games. Karlach has voicelines and a lot of stuffs pointing to her being a companion, and all companions will be romanceable. I'm guessing they could make a face for her instead of a generic face, the current face could just be a placeholder.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hilarian

From the datamine, we will likely get 3 more companions, one male and 2 females. One of the classes is ranger. One of the launch companions will be a fan favorite returning from the previous 2 games. Karlach has voicelines and a lot of stuffs pointing to her being a companion, and all companions will be romanceable. I'm guessing they could make a face for her instead of a generic face, the current face could just be a placeholder.

I am hoping we get more Origin Characters so we have one for each class (including artificer but that is hope...). It'd make sense so people would have an origin option for monk or barbarian or sorcerer or such.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 12/04/21 02:37 AM.
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard