Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by Imryll
It's possible that they're being slow to limit casting from scrolls precisely because all the classes/companions aren't in the game yet and multiclassing hasn't been implemented. Long term we'll have a lot more ways to cover our bases than we do now. They may view unrestricted casting from scrolls as a stopgap way to compensate for those missing options.

Personally I'm of the opinion that many of Larian's homebrew rules are because of multiplayer. Scrolls for all and healing food are there so 4 friends can all play fighters if they want and don't have to "force" someone to be the mage and/or cleric if they don't want to. I also attribute high ground & backstab advantages and bonus action disengage to multiplayer cause Larian decided it isn't fun to use your 1 action and miss all the time, nor to use your action to disengage instead of doing some damage. I feel this is all on multiplayer because the above are not as big of a concern to a single player who can control 4 peeps at once and gets to do something "fun" regardless per turn.

Originally Posted by OcO
Originally Posted by Imryll
It's possible that they're being slow to limit casting from scrolls precisely because all the classes/companions aren't in the game yet and multiclassing hasn't been implemented. Long term we'll have a lot more ways to cover our bases than we do now. They may view unrestricted casting from scrolls as a stopgap way to compensate for those missing options.

Personally I'm of the opinion that many of Larian's homebrew rules are because of multiplayer. Scrolls for all and healing food are there so 4 friends can all play fighters if they want and don't have to "force" someone to be the mage and/or cleric if they don't want to. I also attribute high ground & backstab advantages and bonus action disengage to multiplayer cause Larian decided it isn't fun to use your 1 action and miss all the time, nor to use your action to disengage instead of doing some damage. I feel this is all on multiplayer because the above are not as big of a concern to a single player who can control 4 peeps at once and gets to do something "fun" regardless per turn.

If that is the case, then Larian is failing on every level to understand why party composition, and class-specific skills are important to the concept of balance in DnD.

old hand
old hand
Also dnd 5e you can still have everyone as the same class and get disparate roles? Just one player as an EK means the scrolls can be used. And even moving away from subclasses, occasionally feats and items can really change the role a person has in the party.

Z
addict
addict
Z
I doubt Larian cares about multiplayer design when all their games are resoundingly played as majority single player campaigns. It could be as simple as wanting for items in the world to have their use. If scrolls are too powerful, they can simply make them more scarce and expensive. Healing from food makes sense, though it should only be out of combat healing, or maybe change food so they're ingredients you can take to camp on a long rest and use on the bonfire to apply party buffs until the next long rest.

Last edited by Zenith; 08/04/21 04:25 AM.
addict
addict
I feel Larian (and modern players...) are still struggling to figure the Crpg concept of what a CLASS is. In DOS2 this was basically salad dressing.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 08/04/21 06:03 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
If that is the case, then Larian is failing on every level to understand why party composition, and class-specific skills are important to the concept of balance in DnD.

I feel this way too, but I remain hopeful that some of those things are actually bugs.

W
veteran
veteran
W
One of the loading screens actually mentions that you need to be the appropriate class to use a spell scroll. I’m hoping this is just a matter of the game being incomplete rather than a design choice.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Warlocke
One of the loading screens actually mentions that you need to be the appropriate class to use a spell scroll. I’m hoping this is just a matter of the game being incomplete rather than a design choice.

Wait, really? You have seen that? I have never seen that in a loading screen.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Wait, really? You have seen that? I have never seen that in a loading screen.

Yeah, I haven’t played recently, so it was a while ago, but I’ve seen it.

veteran
veteran
On the topic of scrolls.. Divine magic is channeling a god's power. So how do divine magic scrolls make sense in D&D? Like if it's a Scroll (prayer) written by a Cleric of Bhaal, why would a Cleric of Tyr be able to cast the spell? Shouldn't it blow up in their face or something?

And since Sorcerers are "natural" spellcasters who don't bother with formulas and incantations, how does it work for them? Wouldn't it be cooler and more flavorful if Sorcerers could destroy scrolls by sucking the magic out of them and turning them into Sorcery points (with some kind of upper limit of course). Underline that professional rivalry between Sorcerers and Wizards nicely.

Anyway, that's homebrew territory and it's a scary place to be right now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
Originally Posted by Necrosian
From what i understand/ have read Larian is focusing on difficult thing first, leaving easy fixes like spell learning towards the end.

There are no recorded public statements from anyone at Larian that give credence to your statement.

Yeah this is some weird myth that's been spread around here. A big problem is Larian hasn't come out to discuss any design philosophy, timing, etc. We're just sort of shouting into the abyss here and people are going to get more and more frustrated.

Last edited by Ankou; 08/04/21 10:20 PM.
veteran
veteran
Regarding the spell scroll topic,

In the earliest days of bug reporting, we would get responses from the bug team stating that this was WaI - that scrolls were indeed intended to be all-access.

Then, after a little while, the reports came back that it was believed to be WaI, but that it would likely change in the future to step more into lines with 5e rules.

Now, I believe, bug reports to this extent will receive the information that it's a known issue that will be fixed in a later update.

It's been on something of a journey, behind the screen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard