Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok. I know this is probably too much, but I had this idea that I thought would be fun especially if Larian lets us create 4 custom characters in single player mode but also for multiplayer mode.

Allow characters to be unchained and form separate parties of up to 4 each.

I can already unchain characters and have 1 go to the bog while another is going towards the Goth and another towards the grove, etc. The idea would be to allow each character to chain others together to form three to four parties all going to different areas.

Basically, four people are playing together. 1 player takes Astarion and Gale and goes for the hag. Another takes Wyll and Shadowheart towards the gobbo camp. The other two take Lae'zel and head for the Gith.

Like I said, might not be possible without the game exploding, but I thought it might be cool.

At the very least, we need the ability to unchain and leave other player characters at camp. If I start the game with someone, and they can not play anymore and I want to drop their PC at camp to tale Gale or whoever, I should be able to do that. This would also be good for 4 custom character single player mode.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I've done it with Divinity. Had a mod installed to allow multiple parties and members beyond 4 and it was fun. But the fact that was possible means that it should be here too.

We would be able to have our own fights, our own individual story we follow.

Last edited by Lenggao; 10/04/21 12:35 AM.
veteran
veteran
For half year we are beging larian for allowing us to have 6 member party ...
So far with litteraly no result.

I applaud your courage when you think this will work out for you.
But I wouldn't believe it much. frown

But it would be a really interesting mode.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
For half year we are beging larian for allowing us to have 6 member party ...
So far with litteraly no result.

I applaud your courage when you think this will work out for you.
But I wouldn't believe it much. frown

But it would be a really interesting mode.

Larian aren't going to introduce every little idea that would be interesting so this is very unlikely to happen. But it's infinitely more likely than a six person party. A six person party is completely unrealistic and can't possibly happen, even if every single early access player demanded it every day until the game was released. You might just as well beg Larian to turn it into a first person Looter Shooter.

veteran
veteran
May I ask: what's the point of playing coop if you go seperate ways? You might as well just play seperate campaigns.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rack
this is very unlikely to happen.
That was the point.

Originally Posted by Rack
A six person party is completely unrealistic and can't possibly happen, even if every single early access player demanded it every day until the game was released. You might just as well beg Larian to turn it into a first person Looter Shooter.
I wonder why ... since they allready confrimed that they keep in mind that people will want this, so thinks like UI as such are created so mod for 6 member party will be posible. O_o

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
May I ask: what's the point of playing coop if you go seperate ways? You might as well just play seperate campaigns.

The point wouldn't be to separate all the time, but as an option, to accomplish different tasks simultaneously. Maybe Player 3 doesn't want to go save Mayrina. They could do something else during that part. That kind of thing.

But the main thing I'd like to see is the ability to leave custom party members at camp so that we can take premades with instead. That way, if I start a game with 3 other players and 1 quits, we can leave that 1 it camp and take someone else. Or, if we want to trigger Wyll's convo with the gobbo captain, we have the ability to take Wyll with instead of 1 of the PCs.

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/04/21 12:17 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by Wormerine

The point wouldn't be to separate all the time, but as an option, to accomplish different tasks simultaneously. Maybe Player 3 doesn't want to go save Mayrina. They could do something else during that part. That kind of thing.

But the main thing I'd like to see is the ability to leave custom party members at camp so that we can take premades with instead. That way, if I start a game with 3 other players and 1 quits, we can leave that 1 it camp and take someone else. Or, if we want to trigger Wyll's convo with the gobbo captain, we have the ability to take Wyll with instead of 1 of the PCs.
The best reason to allow coop to go separate ways is if there were timed quests and you had to split to accomplish multiple tasks. Your example, where Player 3 doesn't want to save Mayrina, only works if Players 1,2,& 4 don't want to do whatever Player 3 does while split. And this implies that there are multiple sections of the game that various people won't want to play through, not a very good working assumption for a developer making a game...

+1 to the ability to leave custom party members at camp. We can freely swap in and out Origin companions; why not custom companions?

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah. True. I agree. Separating would truly only work for timed scenarios. Eh. It was just a thought.

But definitely the ability to leave custom party members at camp. That is more of what I want. The other was just an idea I thought could be fun especially after more than 1 playthrough.

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/04/21 04:06 PM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
You're missing the point, you're still together in the same world and at the same time you're given the freedom to go your own way, play your own way. You can play an evil character or whatever while your buddy play how she wants. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Imagine football, do you always have to play on the same team as your friend? It's fun but it's just as fun playing against each other or competing in the same tournament. You're still playing together.

There's more to having fun together than being stuck together all the time.

It's fun when you go to where they've been and get to see their choices and how it impacts your gameplay and the game world too. Without you being forced to do everything. It says you're not the only one who is shaping the game world. That you're not special, it's not fun when you dictate and play how you want to only if you're playing together. Might as well play a single player game like Skyrim that basically worship you, if that's your thing imo.

Last edited by Lenggao; 22/05/21 11:02 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lenggao
You're missing the point, you're still together in the same world and at the same time you're given the freedom to go your own way, play your own way.
It sounds to me like you want some kind of MMO - an always online world that you can play separately or together.

veteran
veteran
You're missing the point, you're still together in the same world and at the same time you're given the freedom to go your own way, play your own way. You can play an evil character or whatever while your buddy play how she wants. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
Im affraid you are missing the point pal. O_o
I mean, you are corect ... this is indeed how it works, but this topic was talking about party limitation to 4 members, that dont have much to do with people being together, or separate ...

The "point" here was sugestion, to allow people to create their own parties in multiplayer, or take the unused companions if you wish.
Meaning yes, play exactly the way you described ... but while controling more, than just your character. smile

Truth be told, when you play as 4 PC ...
Companions spend whole game just lolygaging around the bonfire in your camp, and what is even funnier, you cant even complete some of their quest ... like take Wyll with you to confront Spike. laugh
And it all just problem of limitation of "four member party". smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 22/05/21 11:34 AM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Im affraid you are missing the point pal. O_o
I mean, you are corect ... this is indeed how it works, but this topic was talking about party limitation to 4 members, that dont have much to do with people being together, or separate ...

The "point" here was sugestion, to allow people to create their own parties in multiplayer, or take the unused companions if you wish.
Meaning yes, play exactly the way you described ... but while controling more, than just your character. smile

Truth be told, when you play as 4 PC ...
Companions spend whole game just lolygaging around the bonfire in your camp, and what is even funnier, you cant even complete some of their quest ... like take Wyll with you to confront Spike. laugh
And it all just problem of limitation of "four member party". smile

This is actually a good point, especially if "DM Mode" is included - which it is supposed to be, but maybe not until after the full game is released.

So if you have a DM who can spawn in assets, then you can re-balance encounters for larger parties.

Blackheifer
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I never liked games that limited party size, tbh. It just doesn't make sense from a story perspective. You have like 10 people traveling with you, but you can only have a few in combat with you. I always thought that was dumb.

Basically, if I have Gale, Wyl, Astarion, Lae'zel and Shadowheart as companions, why WOULDN'T my character travel with ALL of them at once?

Answer: It's a video game.

Bah. That's just dumb. Typical for video game RPGs, but dumb. Give me story reason. I can't have more than 4 because...

1. I only have 4 magic pockets. Nah. Not good enough.

2. Ah, 2 party members aren't feeling well or are recovering from injuries. How you'd pull that off in a vg, I don't know, but it would make more sense than, "Nope. Not going with you. You already have 4 people."

3. I don't really have much else than that. It really doesn't make sense. If they are traveling with me and are capable of fighting, why wouldn't I take them with me?

old hand
old hand
As contrived as it is, I wouldn't mind hearing someone say "We should travel only in groups of four or six, too many and we will be very conspicuous" or something. (Then again we already are very conspicuous...)

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Exactly. I mean, I get you need a limit. If you have 4 players for multi-player and then allow all the origin characters to be in your party at once, thats like 9 characters. Still, there should be something that makes sense. Again, I get that with all video games they do stuff like limit party size. That's nothing new. I just wish devs would give some sort of better reasoning.

But anyway, the point of this trail was really more of a post about having the ability to at least trade out custom party members. If I do create 4 customs I'm doomed. I can't trigger any of the origin character story stuff. Ever.

Link Copied to Clipboard