Print Thread
#769347 11/04/21 07:06 PM
J
JJRX5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere already, but I am wondering if there have been any more hints on who the Absolute is. There seems like so many players in this story line that it is impossible to say for sure. I find it hard to believe this is a mindflayer plot, and it seems like there is some big drama at play between the gods. Or maybe this whole thing turns out to be another example of the Unseeing Eye from BG2 (ie a big nothing burger). I can’t imagine our humble level 10-12 characters are going to fight a god-figure as their big bad. Any thoughts?

My guess is its a Mindflayer Hive Mind.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Aazo
My guess is its a Mindflayer Hive Mind.

"Absolute Unity, Absolute Power".
Look for that quote appearing in game, and it might answer this question...

Last edited by Alexandrite; 12/04/21 12:01 AM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I can't help but notice that the Absolute's holy symbol looks like someone mixed together the holy symbols of the Dead Three. Bane's symbol is a black hand, Bhaal's is a skull surrounded by blood drops, Myrkul's is a skull inside a triangle. Put them together, you get a skull with a bloody handprint inside a triangle, aka the symbol of the Absolute.

Last edited by agouzov; 13/04/21 07:17 PM.
J
JJRX5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Interesting thoughts but why would a devil be so interested in our plight? I really hope this is more than a mind flayed coven that got frisky. The initial story certainly seems to set up for something epic.

apprentice
apprentice
To be honest, I'm trying to not form any opinion on that. I don't want to be disappointed if wrong, and I really want some element of surprise for the complete game. One of the drawbacks of early release is that we've been there done that.

veteran
veteran
Forum member Priest had some good theories. If you can find that thread it's worth the thread necromancy.

Also check out youtuber HarbsNabs (when he isn't talking about this forum). Right now I been convinced it's the dead three and the mindflayers are being used by them. The thing I haven't figured out is what role Shar has to play in all in of this. Is she working with or against the dead three?

We know that shadow magic -- Shar's magic -- is preventing the transformation from taking place. Does Shar want to get the players get the Illithid powers and serve her? Is she essentially stealing from the dead three? Or is she part of the consortium that makes up the absolute? Is she an ally to the dead three? Opponent? Can't figure that one out.

E
addict
addict
E
It's almost certainly something to do with the Swedish vodka brand Absolut.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Etruscan

As a swedish person, I can see the logic in this!

P
addict
addict
P
Saw an interesting theory on YT the other night that it was Bane. Made some good arguments about it.

veteran
veteran
People data mining discovered that the Absolute is
Boo

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
The closest direct hint:
Talk to Dror Ragzlin. Let him cast the Speak With Dead. Take over his mind. Ask who the Absolute is (some question close to that - I can't remember the exact phrase). Note: Save beforehand - you can initiate combat trying this.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by Etruscan

As a swedish person, I can see the logic in this!

As a half Swede, I concur.

journeyman
journeyman
Goblin misinterpretation of Ao, most likely.

stranger
stranger
I'm starting to suspect that the Absolute is Mystryl...at least a piece of her lost upon her "death" and rebirth as Mystra. Gale said that he wanted to give his goddess a part of herself. But maybe this part gained consciousness. It's still bitter and reeling due to what happened. It feels betrayed and lost. Now it wants absolute loyalty. Absolute power.
It has Netherese magic at its disposal and tries to regain its strength. That explains why infected describe the Absolute as "her". Also, it may be the reason why Shar decided to interfere via her followers - it's stated that Shar tried to usurp Mystryl's power, so if she felt that Mystryl's coming back in any shape or form, she tried to stop her from becoming stronger. Also, since Mystryl has connection with both Shar and Selune, this is why they used Shadowheart, who is tied to both goddesses - as if Shar expected the Absolute to spare Shadowheart and try to turn her into a True Soul.

Plus, Mystryl was known for her ability to bestow her amazing, reality-bending power upon anyone - and take it away. She could control time itself. That fits the description of the true soul Edowin "Don't fight her...Such...power".

Also, I think that Gale plays a major part in all that. He never stated when he turned himself into a ticking timebomb, so there is a high chance he triggered this chain of events. If you try to use your connection to pry into his mind, you'll feel Netherese magic pushing back. Moreover, we never instantly launch a telepathic link with Gale, while it's instantly triggered with Lae'Zel, Shadowheart, Astatrion and Karlach. But Gale remains a closed book.

This theory doesn't explain why the Absolute's symbol is the combo of the symbols used by the Dead Three, though. In general, the Absolute's ways differ a lot from those used by Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul. At the beginning, the Absolute is sweet and welcoming, dropping the act when the victim won't stop resisting. And even then she doesn't punish directly, but she is confident that the victim would regret being that independent and self-aware, that they'll come back begging for help. I can't imagine none of Dead Three acting this way.
Can they be assisting Mystryl, making it easier for her to gather forces? Probably. Why would they assist her? Maybe, she is offering them something they really want to have - or because she needs allies against Mystra, who will try to put her foot down and ruin all her plans. After all, Bane hates Mystra and won't miss an opportunity to get rid of her.

Last edited by Madame Killkoy; 21/04/21 05:58 PM.

I didn’t invest any points into self awareness
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by RBarbare
The closest direct hint:
Talk to Dror Ragzlin. Let him cast the Speak With Dead. Take over his mind. Ask who the Absolute is (some question close to that - I can't remember the exact phrase). Note: Save beforehand - you can initiate combat trying this.

I've seen that, too in my playthrough. Seems like the Absolute is just an illusion by a circle of Illithids. Unfortunately... would be cooler lorewise, if she actually was some kind of godess.

Originally Posted by Ragnarök
I've seen that, too in my playthrough. Seems like the Absolute is just an illusion by a circle of Illithids. Unfortunately... would be cooler lorewise, if she actually was some kind of godess.

It would be very cool if the Illithids plan backfired, and they created a Goddess out of the belief of her followers. Since her followers believe she's good and all about braiding each others hair, the underdark could be turned right around (and open the Realms best hair salons)!

C
stranger
stranger
C
I'm not super convinced by the idea that it's a mind flyer hive mind. It seems super possible to me that since she shows everyone what they want, that the hive mind is just what she was showing the mind flayer.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard