Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I've found that characters with 8-9 strength can't even pick up scale armor in the latest patch, even though they can pick up ringmail just fine.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
veteran
veteran
There's something really strange with armors in the game since patch 4. Not sure your problem is just a bug or a bug as a part of another intended useless new custom rule.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/04/21 03:30 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
It is based on strength. If a characters strength is too low it can't be picked up. Open the loot right click and choose to send to whomever is highlighted in list. If no one send to camp.

addict
addict
I have been annoyed by the same issue (and I too believe it was introduced in Patch 4).

Characters with less than 10-Strength have difficulties with some medium/heavy armours, they cannot : pick-up them up, carry them in inventory, and equip them.

It doesn't affect all medium armours. Shadowheart's armour goes on all 8-Strength characters. Some heavy barrels like the Mind-Flayers' oil barrels are concerned as well (can't pick up, can't carry). I'd wager it's based on the weight of the concerned items, though I have not bothered finding the threshold.

As Maximuuus said, this is a "custom rule" : in 5E, only heavy armour has strength requirement. Or maybe it's a bug. With Larian's minimal communication, and Patch/Hotfix notes that are far from exhaustive, it's hard to tell whether something is Working As Intended or is a bug (so long for quality feedback).

Should it be WAI, I see the negatives it brings.

• It makes no sense, immersion-wise : a character with 8 Strength can carry a total weight greater than that of those items they cannot pick up.
  • It's a strict decrease in Quality-Of-Life.

I fail to see the positives. I am in hope that it isn't a hasty measure to limit barrel cheese (making barrels targets was bad enough), or prevent mix-maxing (which Larian usually wouldn't bother doing).

All I can say is that Larian works in mysterious ways ...

veteran
veteran
The concept that the weight of the time might be impacting our ability to interact with it just strikes me as ridiculous from the get-go. We have a carry capacity; the total weight of things we can carry. There cannot be any justification for imposing a completely separate limiter that will ignore our carry capacity, and the fact that we can carry another 80lb of gear still, to tell us that we can't pick up this 20lb object... It can ONLY be a bug; I'd lose all of my remaining faith in Larian if it were not.

As for armour restrictions and limitations based on weight: Even heavy armour with their strength requirement is not, in the rules, a requirement to wear or use the armour.

PhB 144, in Equipment, Armour and Shields:

"If the armour table shows "Str 13" or "Str 15" in the strength column for an armour type, the armour reduces the wearer's speed by 10 feet unless the wearer has a Strength score equal to or higher than the listed score."

That's it; that is the only limitation it imposes.

Presuming that this is a bug, I'm curious to know how it even came about or happened in the first place - there has to BE something that was deliberately written that functional acts as apiece of code to say "if strength below X, deny interaction", but applied to armours, and patently it is not the same piece of code that already handles "too heavy" errors for when you try to lift or more other objects. So why does it exist and where did it come from?

Link Copied to Clipboard