Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
In Baldur's Gate 1 we meet companions slowly, scattered throughout the game. In the very beginning (Candlekeep) we're all alone, learning the basics of managing a single character. Afterwards we meet Imoen, having a party of 2. Only after arriving in the friendly arm inn, we meet Khalid and Jaheira (Or the evil Montaron & Xzar on the road). Even then, we are only at 4 of 6 party members.

In DOS2 & BG3 new companions are introduced very quickly, giving players less time to react to them. In my case, I was actually a bit unnerved when Gale jumped out of nowhere - I had already Shadowheart and Astarion joining up in quick succession.

In my humble opinion, it might be advantageous to spread meeting new characters a little throughout the first or even later acts.

veteran
veteran
I have no problem with how BG3 has you meet up with the party quickly. It makes sense from a story perspective. They all were in the same ship together with tons of others. Therefore, they would all be in the same relative area.

Besides, seems to me like someone, or something, wants them all to be together. They are special. They aren't like the other thralls.

old hand
old hand
I think it's fine if Origin characters are introduced fairly rapidly while non origin companions (hoping they will happen) are spread out and more complicated to recruit and find, almost like a reward for exploration or quests where you gain an ally, like how you can find the dog or owl ear cub, or save Volo.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I think it's fine if Origin characters are introduced fairly rapidly while non origin companions (hoping they will happen) are spread out and more complicated to recruit and find, almost like a reward for exploration or quests where you gain an ally, like how you can find the dog or owl ear cub, or save Volo.
Agreed ...
So far all companions we get was in exactly same ship as we ... it makes sence that they didnt make it to Baldur's Gate by the time we shaked our head on beach. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 14/04/21 12:20 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I have no problem with how BG3 has you meet up with the party quickly. It makes sense from a story perspective.
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
almost like a reward for exploration or quests where you gain an ally, like how you can find the dog or owl ear cub, or save Volo.

That's basically my point. Companions tell a story & are therefore part of the story. If I'm getting thrown 4+ people at me in the immediate beginning, I feel less interested in their story, class or inventory. I just dismiss them or let them tag along without talking to them.

Btw. I do now notice that all of the companions are strangely single? Not even two lovers or buddies sticking together? Well, would maybe be additional voice work.

Last edited by Arne; 14/04/21 12:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Arne
Btw. I do now notice that all of the companions are strangely single? Not even two lovers or buddies sticking together? Well, would maybe be additional voice work.
How about Wyll and his fiend girlfriend?
I mean, they were separated true, but he is chasing her pretty hard.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
I also hope to see more normal companions with a less WTF story spreaded in the world.

Every companions doens't have to be an origin character to be interresting and to have a story/side quest (every other games had proven this...).

It would be cool to meet companions that doesn't have the exact same story and the exact same beginning as our main.

And yes +1 to duo like Khalid and Jaheira and Minsc/Dynaheir. Another good solution that the old games found to give the feeling of a "Real" living World.

BG3 definitely lack of such things.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/04/21 03:25 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus

Link Copied to Clipboard