Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll
Sorry if this has been previously answered - but what about the other long-lived characters from the previous BG games?

Any word on Viconia, Aerie, Jaheira?

Outlook not good friend Baldur's Gate/Throne of Bhaal continuity / FR Chronological Continuity

Last edited by Sozz; 23/11/20 10:31 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm a little confused about Karlach. She said she escaped the blood war right or something like that? Was the ship in avernus that long for her to make a plan to stow away, get caught then implanted, then escape again all while the attacks are happening all over the ship? What am I missing? Does she really have a tadpole? If she is an origin companion then something is off or I'm just missing something.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Sozz
Sorry if this has been previously answered - but what about the other long-lived characters from the previous BG games?

Outlook not good friend Baldur's Gate/Throne of Bhaal continuity / FR Chronological Continuity

Did they die in the canon? I can't find anything on them post BG2 one way or another with the exception of Viconia who apparently founded a cult or somesuch.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
I'm a little confused about Karlach. She said she escaped the blood war right or something like that? Was the ship in avernus that long for her to make a plan to stow away, get caught then implanted, then escape again all while the attacks are happening all over the ship? What am I missing? Does she really have a tadpole? If she is an origin companion then something is off or I'm just missing something.

Didn't she had a tadpole scene or I remember it wrong? Perhaps she just lied, fake pallies were after her since some time, she may have escaped BW earlier than she claimed. Mindflayers rather not kidnapped people during chase in Avernus, they were too busy.

Last edited by Verte; 24/11/20 12:43 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz

Did they die in the canon? I can't find anything on them post BG2 one way or another with the exception of Viconia who apparently founded a cult or somesuch.
I haven't been to any of the spoilery threads, but I seem to remember from these threads that between two world reboots, WotC generally avoiding the topic, and the possibility of incorporating the Abdel novelization canon that there would be nothing like the kind of continuity between the games than I was hoping for.

I personally think that they're going to leave it ambiguous so nobody's fate will explicitly be stated. It was also pointed out by someone that all Viconia's epilogues ended with her being murdered, of course those were certainly written without any thought to a possible sequel. The end result is, there's speculation abound but nothing to point to any serious link with the continuity of the first two games, apart from the very broad top-level lore (like Bhaal being brought back in 4e)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Verte
Didn't she had a tadpole scene or I remember it wrong?

She does have a tadpole scene. Maybe the nautiloid made regular trips through Avernus and she hitched a ride on a previous pass, got caught and got tadpoled? Seems unlikely, but her story makes no sense otherwise.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Originally Posted by Verte
Didn't she had a tadpole scene or I remember it wrong?

She does have a tadpole scene. Maybe the nautiloid made regular trips through Avernus and she hitched a ride on a previous pass, got caught and got tadpoled? Seems unlikely, but her story makes no sense otherwise.

If they are taking tadpoled people to the Moonrise, then she wouldn't escape her fate as absolute's puppet so easily. My bet is she was already on the run and got caught outside of Hells by the same nautilod because she's an origin. I doubt they have prepared another start than one on the ship.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I have no love for Karlach if i wanted a nice tiefling companion i would love if that would be Alfira.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe she is spy and the whole paladin hunters is a miss direction to get Karlach closer MC at Karlach's expense of course. Zariel would be a sly fox then. Theories aside I guess I'll go through her voice lines to see if anything makes sense. I'm guessing she is yet another habitual deceiver. Can anyone try detect thoughts and speak with dead on her? I'm curious.

Edit: I can see why she is not really popular yet. She is not bad or good as a character so far from her voice lines and brief scenes. The only thing I found out was that she is trying to be a bro or at least act friendly-ish and she worships Shar. Politicians were what originally killed her, but her being sent to hell says more about her though. Nothing particularly interesting so far.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 24/11/20 03:10 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sadurian
For me, Minsc is too big a character to be playable. He has an established personality and no, I can't see myself playing him as evil. Maybe as a weird one-off, but not for the whole game.

I reckon he'd work best as a quest-giver or someone who the party can turn to for information. Maybe a quest to find Boo.
I agree, for me he would probably never pick him as an MC beyond curiosity, but if he is able to be recruited I will be extremely disappointed if I cant become his "witch" when playing as a mage type character.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Errrg, I hope note on Minsc...he irritates me. It's a good joke in small doses for me, but I don't want to spend the whole game with it.

I'm seriously hoping Afira is a bard party companion. She's lovely.
She would be a perfect companion for my half drow ranger and would love to see her as a companion.
Originally Posted by Maldurin
[quote=Van'tal]

Its not that they are incapable, Lohse and Sebille in DOS II prove that, its just that they seem to not want it. However im with you and would live an companion like Alfira.
Adding my voice as well to say Alfira should be a companion.

apprentice
apprentice

Nothing said so far but but Aerie and Viconia are the characters I would love to reappear most.

Jaheira most likely died from old age, including Neera from the Enhanced Editions. Half-elves live for 180 years or less, Baldur's Gate 3 is set in the same year as Descent into Avernus, 1494 DR, or maybe a few months or a year after it, and she was a young girl around 1347 DR, 21 years before the first Baldur's Gate game, but old enough to remember the Ten Black Days of Eleint incident in Tethyr, that would mean she expired a few years before Baldur's Gate 3, if no one killed her first.

Viconia is dead no matter if you've romanced her or not, and her non-romanced epilogue presents a continuity issue I can't find a way around. In her non-romanced epilogue, after saving the elven city Suldanessellar with Drizzt and his companions, she just mysteriously disappeared, no one knows what happened to her after she aided Drizzt in defending Suldanessellar. And the continuity issue I'm talking about is R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels that take place in the years after BG2 Throne of Bhaal before the Spellplague. None of them, not even the Hunter's Blades Trilogy give Drizzt time to leave Icewind Dale and return to Amn for any reason, although I've deduced that the game Demon Stone takes place a couple years before The Orc King novel.

Aerie has the most potential to appear in BG3 whether the custom character of the Bhaalspawn Saga canonically romanced her or not.

veteran
veteran
Viconia is too big of an opportunity to pass when Shar seems to be a major player in BG3.

I definitely don't want these legendary BG2 characters as mundane companions. That would shrink them to the level of Gale, Lae'zel &co where they don't belong at this point. They can't really be villains either unless you can choose to side with your old pals. Their part in the story should be an unexpected hero who saves the PC's when things are looking hopeless. Show up with a display of power when you're about to get killed by a vastly superior enemy. For reasons that can be selfish, heroic or political. And then they disappear as quickly as they appeared before things get too mundane. That would make a great scene, appropriate for their legendary status.

Last edited by 1varangian; 14/04/21 11:38 AM.
old hand
old hand
Any chance Baeloth is still alive and kicking? I know he was added with EE but he was fairly interesting and could be an interesting NPC (or even non origin companion) with an arena he's built up.

old hand
old hand
Victoria wiki

She was referenced in NwN Online I guess based on the trivia section of this website, going by this she's still around.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sir Sparhawk
Originally Posted by Sadurian
For me, Minsc is too big a character to be playable. He has an established personality and no, I can't see myself playing him as evil. Maybe as a weird one-off, but not for the whole game.

I reckon he'd work best as a quest-giver or someone who the party can turn to for information. Maybe a quest to find Boo.
I agree, for me he would probably never pick him as an MC beyond curiosity, but if he is able to be recruited I will be extremely disappointed if I cant become his "witch" when playing as a mage type character.
I think it would be cool if Minsc was locked to Act 2 and after. So he wouldn't be an origin character or MC, but you do get him in the party. I want to hang out with Minsc and I don't want to be Minsc. xD

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Personally I hope they don't move beyond "Bhallspawn existed" and "Minsc and Boo travelled with them". It is a cop-out you can argue, but there's so many different combinations and decisions that it's the only real way to satisfy everyone. I really, really hope things stay like the book you can find with interviews of people in the game that do nothing beyond say "BG1 and 2 happened"

Originally Posted by fallenj
Victoria wiki

She was referenced in NwN Online I guess based on the trivia section of this website, going by this she's still around.

Vizeran DeVir mentions her in NwN Online, explaining that he heard about her heroics stopping the Bhaalspawn, it doesn't really mean she is alive in the 15th century of the Forgotten Realms.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Personally I hope they don't move beyond "Bhallspawn existed" and "Minsc and Boo travelled with them". It is a cop-out you can argue, but there's so many different combinations and decisions that it's the only real way to satisfy everyone. I really, really hope things stay like the book you can find with interviews of people in the game that do nothing beyond say "BG1 and 2 happened"
There's a book you can find...IIRC in the Druid's Grove...that refers to the Bhaalspawn in gender-neutral terms, so optimistically that could be the direction they are going in. Although I'm a bit anxious concerning a certain confirmed returning character from the first two games who would know the Bhaalspawn personally. I can see it being very awkward for Larian to dance around the subject of addressing the Bhaalspawn's gender/species/class/alignment etc unless they are planning some sort of situation like with Atton Rand in the second KoTOR game where you could pick the gender and alignment of the protagonist from the previous game through a dialogue conversation with one of your companions-I'd love to see something like that would be implemented, but I don't know how confident to be that Larian is moving in that direction.

Last edited by Leucrotta; 14/04/21 04:45 PM.
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard