Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
EvilVik Offline OP
OP Offline
Couldn't find this topic anywhere, but here goes:
If one your team mates are knocked unconscious during a fight, and that fight directly leads into a conversation you can't avoid, your dear team mate risks dying in the background with no chance to help them.

This has happened to me several times, partly to me miss-clicking my other party members and end up in a conversation with them instead of helping my downed compatriots.

This is just super annoying and leads you to reloading just because you accidently clicked somewhere or the game brought you into a conversation instead of saving your buddy.

Suggestion to fix: "Freeze time" while you're locked in conversation mode (don't know if this would screw up multiplayer etc), but at least don't let party members die while you're clicking through a conversation.
(You wouldn't start that conversation with someone dying next to you, so either wake your party members after a successful fight and someone is still alive, or "freeze them" in time so you have a chance to react to it (don't leave turnbased).

veteran
veteran
They need to just auto-stabilize when combat is over. You can just rush to aid them immediately anway, if only the game lets you with it's unresponsive UI. Oddly, killing the last enemy often reduces your ability to help them in time as turn based mode ends. This should never be the case. Auto-stabilize.

EvilVik Offline OP
OP Offline
Yea, that would be a good solution without being game breaking or too much D&D rule breaking.

veteran
veteran
Or just don't exit combat while a party member is unconscious and dying. Keep it turn based until all enemies are dead AND all party members are either stabilized or dead.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree! I was wondering why I kept hearing dice rolling while I was in post-combat conversation with the hag. It turns out, it was someone in my party making saving throws for their life while I argued with her. Now that I know that happens, I quickly switch to another character and help them if I hear that sound in diaglogue, but it breaks the immersion to have to do that.

I agree auto-stabilize would be helpful in those kinds of cases. If the combat is over (or semi-over) and conversation is auto-triggered as a result, party members should auto-stabilize (which could be interpreted as another party member helping them in the background).

veteran
veteran
It is a stinker.

Remember that you can switch to other companion when you are engaged in conversation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Or just don't exit combat while a party member is unconscious and dying. Keep it turn based until all enemies are dead AND all party members are either stabilized or dead.
This is im affraid not enough ...
How about if you start conversation while Astarion stands in running water? laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
This is im affraid not enough ...
How about if you start conversation while Astarion stands in running water? laugh
Companions can still move during conversations. Thus Astarion will just walk out of the water.

There's an edge case where he falls unconscious in the water during combat, is stabilized, and then dialogue immediately begins once combat is exited. But this set of events is pretty unlikely I feel.

veteran
veteran
The whole Astarion takes damage from water thing is just annoying. Being able to walk in sunlight is a much bigger deal for a vampire so how did that happen if the water thing remains.

I guess Larian just couldn't help themselves adding more more giant omnipresent surface in the world just for Astarion.

EvilVik Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Wormerine
It is a stinker.

Remember that you can switch to other companion when you are engaged in conversation.

Sure this is possible, but then we're really into micro managing something you might not even notice until it's too late.

Any (game) design (in my view) should be targeting the best way "it should behave", not focus on the possible workarounds.
And since this happened to me several times during my playthrough, forcing me to replay a looong combat sequence, it was one of my bigger causes of frustration. This, and the lag/delay in character selection when clicking portraits accidently sending the wrong person on a run bugged the hell out of me xD

veteran
veteran
I had posted something similar. Game should pause when in convos. I beat the hag one time and Wyll ran through a poison cloud while I was talking to her corpse. He then fell over and was dying while I was interrogating her. Fortunately, I heard his gasps and quickly switched characters to Lae'zel. Had her run over and save him.

I had sold all my revivify scrolls.

Yeah. They need to do something about pausing the game during dialogues or something. Make everyone remain in Turn Based mode.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EvilVik
Originally Posted by Wormerine
It is a stinker.

Sure this is possible, but then we're really into micro managing something you might not even notice until it's too late.
As I said: it is a stinker.

Automatically casting "stabilize" thingy on downed companions when combat ends should address the issue, without compromising COOP play. Though I am willing to accept any solution Larian is willing to impliment - unless they don't see it as a problem, which at this point wouldn't surprise me. I don't think problem you mention is an issue if one plays with one or more coop partners, but I found it a common annoyance in my solo playthrough. In addition it's just one of those things that add to Dragon-Age-like dialogue cutscenes feeling out of place in BG3 to me.

Last edited by Wormerine; 15/04/21 04:44 PM.
EvilVik Offline OP
OP Offline
Yea I hope they improve dialogue checks a lot - I play a mixed party where I push skills in different areas per character, so I want to be able to utilize that in a conversation - not being locked to whoever happened to start the conversation.
"Oh I failed my arcana check? But hey, I got a wizard right next to me and he knows the answer!"

Link Copied to Clipboard