Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So, I'm three hours into the new patch and Astarion has failed every single lockpicking that he's engaged on. All the other characters as well, but with him it's really worrying, as I had him in my party mostly for his thieving abilities.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

S
addict
addict
S
Does it show the skill check in the chat log?

BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I reloaded the game and now it works -- once every three tries. It might have been luck, but in my previous games he could open every door.

Yeah, that had to be luck. In some my previous playthroughs he failed more often than my ranger and/or fighter did.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Something seems to have changed as my Sleight of Hand proficient, Thieves Tools proficient, 17 DEX Rogue failed the locked Chapel door three times in a row, three times in a row.

As in I quick loaded twice because I couldn't believe it happened once, and it happened 2 more times.

My patch 3 playthroughs, and there were several, probably had a 30-50% fail rate on the first attempt. Taking 50% as a worst case and extrapolating that's about a 0.2% probability. Not *impossible* but extremely unlikely.

Whilst the check is now recorded in the log, there is still no record of the DC or the roll value, and for some reason a successful check produces a double record for a success instantly followed by a failure.

It's possible they just tweaked the DC of the door to be harder and we'd not know due to hidden values, but the multiple logs for a single check smell fishy to me...

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Failing lock picks does "seem" to happen more since patch 4 - I've taken to casting the guidance cantrip on him every time before he makes an attempt.

That seems to help smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you have Shadowheart, or play as a Cleric or Druid, you can now use the Increase Attribute spell to give advantage on all dexterity rolls for the spell duration too.

The increased difficulty is being looked into though, confirmed in the patch notes thread.

Last edited by Elessaria666; 28/02/21 05:56 PM.
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Something seems to have changed as my Sleight of Hand proficient, Thieves Tools proficient, 17 DEX Rogue failed the locked Chapel door three times in a row, three times in a row.

(snip)

It's possible they just tweaked the DC of the door to be harder and we'd not know due to hidden values, but the multiple logs for a single check smell fishy to me...

Same here, playing as a high Dex MC Rogue. I was surprised not to get through that door on the third attempt, but I knew from previous playthroughs I could get in another way, thought it was just bad rolls.

On the other hand, I've opened several locked chests and doors without any unusual failure runs, so I think they could have made that particular door harder. Maybe to encourage exploring other ways into that building? There are at least two, maybe three ways in besides that door.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
If you pick up chests it seem to "fix" the roll somehow... I had a hell of a time trying to lockpick, then started picking up chests and unlock in inventory and so far it is first try unlock every time.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Not only does it say fail twice, it takes 2 lockpicks and does not show a roll in dialogue box.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I have the same issue and I honestly suspect it's some sort of bug with a flag or something; I've had it where there have been half a dozen fails (this is with weighted dice turned on if it matters) and after reloading the game, I usually succede first time. It's at the point where if I fail twice in a row I reload because I'm so confident I'll burn through all the lockpicks.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Do you guys have Weighted Dice checked in Settings or not?

I have had a horrible time lock picking on my Drow thief (17 dex and proficiency in slight of hand so +5) as well as Astarian since patch 4, and doubly bad since Hotfix 10. I HAVE TRIED WITH >>>> AND WITHOUT LOADED DICE. Each failed attempt uses 2 lock-pick kits , and I have gone on strings of 9 attempts (so used 18 kits) then go back to save point and do another 9, etc.. up to 3 sets of 9 and still failing every single attempt. So this seems an obvious bug in either the RNG, or somewhere else. This happens on doors, gates, and chests. The only solution seems to be to fail, then return to save, try again, and repeat ad nausium till it eventually succeeds. And this can take several trys to get it done, which makes me start to really hate that long loading screen after awhile. Lockpicking in the current patch is totally borked.

Link Copied to Clipboard