Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I was playing a githyanki wizard and I encountered Shadowheart where you find her. I ignored her back on the ship, so there was no trust between us, and she was hostile towards me because I was a gith. "Neat," I thought. I exhausted all dialogue options, and she left without me. Cool.

I started a new game, same character. This time I tried to free Shadowheart on the ship. When I met her on the beach, she claimed I only tried to free her so I could kill her face to face. Wow. She really doesn't like gith. No problem. That's just who she is.

I tried something a little sneakier the third and final time; I cast disguise self and turned into a lady drow. This is where it gets weird. She recognized me from the ship, even though I wasn't in my disguise on the ship. I was given an extra dialogue option, allowing myself to confess that I was in disguise. She was nonplussed. After that, I was given a githyanki dialogue option asking for details about "my people", no other details. She seemed to understand that I was talking about gith. Then she joins me, no problem. Afterwards, I dispel my disguise and ... nothing. Shadowheart no longer cares that I'm gith.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of reason behind her change of heart. She just doesn't care, so long as you don't look gith during your first conversation with her. How did she know I was gith while in my disguise?

Last edited by footface; 16/04/21 03:49 AM.
Not specifically on topic, but just so you know: if she doesn't join you at the first encounter she will be in the druid grove and you can recruit her there.

On topic: You really pushed the boundaries of that one xD

apprentice
apprentice
Interesting. I did something similar in the destroyed village. I knew from my first play through, that they just let drow pass. So when I got there with my human acrane trickster, I used disguise self to pose as a drow. Sure enough they let me pass and when I droped my disguise afterwards, they didn't care that I wasn't actually a drow. Of course I needed to do the same at the watch post before the bridge.

Anyway, I think this is a limitation in the game - if you are done with a conversation, the game probably saves the outcome somewhere in order to "remember" what happened. I don't think that disguise self is factored in here. Basically in addition to the conversation's outcome itself, the game would have to remember, what you looked like or "who you were" so to speak. And then it would have to decide how those NPCs react to you the second time, depending on if you are yourself, or the person you pretended to be the last time.

This is probably way beyond the scope of the game. Then again, I'm not a developer or even a programmer, this is just how I think this works.

Last edited by Kasai; 16/04/21 06:55 AM. Reason: typos

Qc terxepssrw evi jypp sj aiewipw. Mrjsvq xli uyiir ws xlex wli qmklx wlss xliq eaec. Livi ai ks 'vsyrh xli qypfivvc fywl. Ks, qsroic, KS!
OP Offline
Sounds about right. I do hope they add it in. It's super weird that the goblins don't react to you dispelling your disguise.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by EvilVik
Not specifically on topic, but just so you know: if she doesn't join you at the first encounter she will be in the druid grove and you can recruit her there.

On topic: You really pushed the boundaries of that one xD

And if you don't recruit her there, there is still one chance later.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
In the off chance they read these posts and add it to a ever growing whiteboard...

They really need to repeat some of the goblin scenes if you enter the village [ Alone ] or [ Disguised ] or [ Multiple parties ]

If Alone / multiple parties, the 2nd/3rd/4th need to get by as well [ Scene required ]

If disguised, dialogue needs to be had giving the player a chance to lie/tadpole their way out.

The line count was something like 45k this time last year... I can see early access hitting 60k lines, because they really do need to fill in the gaps. They've got the funding and time. People have, and will, buy this product. (Happy EA player here)

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Isn't it more or less the issue of dialogue tree? Maybe when you use a disguise, you flag the conversation for Shadowheart as if you're not a Gith, so the game assume you are of a different race. Gith can recruit Shadowheart just fine. It's just a lot tougher and dice roll may be required. If the conversation got passed the check where Shadowheart sees you as a Gith then it will treat the character as a non-Gith pass that point.

Link Copied to Clipboard