Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Any chance of instituting a bug tracker? It's sometimes hard to know when to report.

For example Patch 1 had a bug where the Hag thought everyone was human. Y'all fixed it in patch 2, now the Hag not has race specific insults. Patch 3 the Hag thinks everyone is a human again. I reported it, got told it was a known issue. But is it a known issue or a regression? A tracker would answer that question for me and make the life of the good human who responds to emails easier.

It would be amazing. Though, I've never seen a fully public facing bug tracker in a closed source AAA title. I wonder if studios worry about it being too difficult to maintain, if they want to protect the information it might expose, or they don't want to be so immediately accountable for the status of specific bugs.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jess Larian
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hello everyone,

We’ve just rolled out a new hotfix for you!

This one goes out to all of you (and us) who have clearly angered the RNG Gods in a former life and been cursed to fail dice rolls at every turn.

We introduced loaded dice in Patch 4 to try to smooth out the extremes of the dice-rolling bell curve. Even with this change, we noticed in your feedback that the RNG wasn't feeling fun for you. We've seen the dice described as being harsh, cursed, rigged and someone said the RNG was downright evil. We want you to have the best experience possible when playing the game and so the changes in today’s hotfix are here to help with your hit chance, if you’re playing with loaded dice.

From now on, loaded dice will only bend RNG in the rolling character's favour. That means you will not be made to miss to make up for a lucky streak of hits. This change also applies to NPC's and enemies, so the effects on the relative challenge of combat should be minimal.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

As always, playing with loaded dice is an optional feature that can be toggled on and off in the gameplay settings.

Please keep posting your thoughts about the game on Steam, our Forums, Discord, Reddit, or submit your feedback to us by clicking the Feedback button in the game launcher, so we can monitor how these changes are affecting you.

And thank you for continuing to post your Wildshape screenshots. We love them very much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Big thanks to @surelyanne for posting the most polite dinner party we’ve ever seen.

Again, thank you for your support during Early Access, we appreciate you being on this journey with us!

Changelist:

RNG:
  • Disable the failure RNG debt for combat rolls

Stability:
  • Fixed crash when examining a deactivated entity (like the Bulette disappearing).

Larian Launcher:
  • Added game pages for D:OS and D:OS2
  • Added a button for players to verify game files after a crash
  • Double clicking via LMB on the game selection section (Top left) no longer makes the launcher details disappear.
  • Update the bottom logo to add interactivity + make it clear it leads to larian.com
  • Selecting a game using RMB no longer causes the player to be stuck on one game
  • Added continue button so you can load your most recent save directly from the launcher

Jess, out of curiosity (honest question): you guys keep calling it "loaded" dice... and yet in the game itself those are nowhere to be seen. Instead what we see are "Weighted" dice (in the game options). Why the double (perhaps confusing?) nomenclature? It seems like there is a disconnect in what they are supposed to be called.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Jess, out of curiosity (honest question): you guys keep calling it "loaded" dice... and yet in the game itself those are nowhere to be seen. Instead what we see are "Weighted" dice (in the game options). Why the double (perhaps confusing?) nomenclature? It seems like there is a disconnect in what they are supposed to be called.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that those two terms are being used interchangeably here...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Thespen
OK but a 22.51GB download (on GOG) is NOT a hot fix.

I thought you had meant to fixed this issue, guess I'm giving up playing for now.

OK, you can go to the ~100MB steam patch that includes a bunch of decompression and code changes that have to be done by the installed patch *after* the patch has been downloaded. Two people in the Hotfix thread on Steam reported that the patch info was telling them it would take one-to-two days to install before they could play! I stopped reading the thread because it was obvious they'd gotten a decompression-heavy patch and/or were using slow drives. So it's half-a-dozen of one, six of the other.

Personally, I'll take the 21GB uncompressed patch any day of the week.

Why is Larian to blame because your Internet DL speed is apparently slow as Christmas? You can stop playing any time, of course, your choice--but gaming today is all about the Internet. You can plod away and complain to the heavens--but, gee--how on earth are you going to be able to DL the 50GB+ final version of the game? What then?

You'll be a lot happier if you simply bite the bullet and get reasonably fast Internet connectivity. You'll find that doing so won't just improve your perception of game patching, but also that everything else you download will be improved as well.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
addict
addict
I have quite long "black screens" after this patch, when there's a "cinematic" change of scene. A dialogue starts and the screen remains black for several seconds while the other party is talking. In the end, the scene will become visible, but this is quite annoying.
Right now I'm back in the early phase of a new game, so I already know what's happening. But if this were a new, unknwown conversation it could be a real problem.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MarcoNeves

Loaded dice = That's what the guy across the gambling table accuses you of before he stands up, draws a pistol, and fills you with lead...;) RIP.

Weighted dice = The gentleman's polite accusation at the gentleman's club, settled by a rigorous round of Billiards, and afterwards you both retire to a cigar and a glass of Sherry by the fire.

"Loaded" is more pejorative than "weighted," imo...;)

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
I had to reinstall the game after this hotfix, now the game has become unplayable. Details posted in "technical and gameplay problems".

C
stranger
stranger
C
For me at least I notice steam is very very sow to download anything of late. everything else i use the internet is normal or close to speeds. This patch is currently telling me (via steam) 7 days 7 hours to down load soo. I guess ill be taking a break from playing long enough for it to download and n install. Everyone here blaming the studio or long down load times or bug fixes for bug fixes, please for the love of faeruin, realize this is effectively a playable beta so there is going to be, so many patches and hot fixes. Best thing we can do is let them know when we have issues so they can try to fix them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Absalom

I think it's fairly safe to assume that those two terms are being used interchangeably here...

Yeah, I'm sure. Just curious on what their take is at Larian.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Waltc

Loaded dice = That's what the guy across the gambling table accuses you of before he stands up, draws a pistol, and fills you with lead...;) RIP.

Weighted dice = The gentleman's polite accusation at the gentleman's club, settled by a rigorous round of Billiards, and afterwards you both retire to a cigar and a glass of Sherry by the fire.

"Loaded" is more pejorative than "weighted," imo...;)

LOL! (applause). Excellent.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Chris Fraser
For me at least I notice steam is very very sow to download anything of late. everything else i use the internet is normal or close to speeds. This patch is currently telling me (via steam) 7 days 7 hours to down load soo. I guess ill be taking a break from playing long enough for it to download and n install. Everyone here blaming the studio or long down load times or bug fixes for bug fixes, please for the love of faeruin, realize this is effectively a playable beta so there is going to be, so many patches and hot fixes. Best thing we can do is let them know when we have issues so they can try to fix them.

I'm also on steam, and the hotfix loaded and installed in around 7 minutes.
To compare : The entire patch 4 took 18 hours to download.

enthusiast
enthusiast
18 Hours to download? That's insanity... I mean... how/why? Are you on dialup or something? Ok, joking aside, it only took me about 23-25 minutes to download patch 4, and yeah roughly 5-6 mins for the hotfix. Why on earth would it take almost sooooo long (almost a full day!) to download a big patch? Even with slower internet speeds, it shouldn't be taking that long.

Hey, other Steam users! Let's try to help out Ido58 with this issue!

Ido, let us know your PC specs. Perhaps we can all help you figure it out?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why keep messing around trying to find single-click solutions for everyone? Literally all you need to do is address the fundamental accuracy of the RNG system first; and then add 2 difficulty sliders to add between 1 and 5 to player rolls (one for combat rolls, one for OOC rolls) and 2 more to subtract between 1 and 5 to enemy rolls. Then just let players tweak them to find whatever they feel is fun.

Last edited by Elessaria666; 18/04/21 11:12 AM.
addict
addict
18 Hours to download? That's insanity... I mean... how/why? Are you on dialup or something? Ok, joking aside, it only took me about 23-25 minutes to download patch 4, and yeah roughly 5-6 mins for the hotfix. Why on earth would it take almost sooooo long (almost a full day!) to download a big patch? Even with slower internet speeds, it shouldn't be taking that long.

I have a pretty decent PC. (I7-9700F, 16GB mem.)
This patch was around 45 GB in size. I downloaded at around 700KB /sec. That's not so bad.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
When this game releases, Larian will have patched out all of what little of 5E they have tried to implement in the game, and we'll officially have Divinity Original Sin 3: Baldur's Gate.

No wonder Wizards started up their own in-house studios after seeing what Larian was doing with the license.

You mean Archetype Entertainment ?

Unfortunately for those that are DnD 5e fans, that won't help. The top 2 in the new studio are old Bioware hands largely responsible for BG, NWN, Star Wars and Anthem. In any case, they are developing a new Sci-Fi IP, not doing anything with DnD ( according to all reports I have seen ).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ldo58

I have a pretty decent PC. (I7-9700F, 16GB mem.)
This patch was around 45 GB in size. I downloaded at around 700KB /sec. That's not so bad.

Oh, I see. Sure, but 18 hours... would be unacceptable for me, but I totally get it... I mean my interenet downloads at 100 MB a sec. So yeah, no wonder mine downloaded in only 25 min...

journeyman
journeyman
Fine fine. If you want to control the randomness, all you need is to know the initial conditions. Most players won't be able to predict the sequence of die rolls, even if they're intentionally and predictably uniform. It's not the fix I wanted, but it does shift the burden. Now if it's loaded, we know who did it.

Even with "dice loaded" I still get strings of 9+ lock picking failures (all using 2 sets of lock picks per use). So I am honestly not seeing any difference in the game play.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by ldo58
I have quite long "black screens" after this patch, when there's a "cinematic" change of scene. A dialogue starts and the screen remains black for several seconds while the other party is talking. In the end, the scene will become visible, but this is quite annoying.
Right now I'm back in the early phase of a new game, so I already know what's happening. But if this were a new, unknwown conversation it could be a real problem.

Yep. Im getting this too. And the people speaking don't move their mouths for the first half of what they're saying...then suddenly everything meshes up and works.

Tey Offline
apprentice
apprentice
I've tried both, weighted and unweighted options in some particular dialogues and came to a conclusion that in some dialogues the game just wants you to fail by design, when in other situations it lightens the grip and dice are cast randomly indeed. At least that's how it felt, for there was no difference between the two options for me.

Even if charisma (for example) will bring the requirement to a minimum 6, the dice will give you 1, 2, 5, until you spend that blasted point, which actually increases your chances greatly. Time and time again I kept drawing a short stick... Painful... I won't pretend to know how randomization works in this game but it doesn't feel random at all.

In a fight, with weighted die on, my warrior managed to miss 4 turns in a row, no hexes or debuffs were in play, just my freakin' luck.
Though, I have to admit, it was a memorable moment, normally each character doesn't exceed 3 misses in a row.

My heart will take me there, where my feet cannot...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard