Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
It's night and day between the two games. Insofar as classes, items, skills, feats, spells, hp, and combat are concerned. Solasta really proves that staying closer to 5e rules really works. That maybe implementing hundreds of home brew changes to a core game that has over four decades of balancing, improving, and expanding on D&D mechanics to derive at 5e may not be the solution. There's thousands of threads already about how implementing one core change can influence multiple other mechanics in the game, and Larian has introduced hundreds of changes to 5e without understanding how these influence other aspects of the game, and create severe balancing issues. You know you've really messed with balancing issues when you have to implement loaded dice to manipulate computer generated probabilities because your game is so unbalanced. What a mess. They can say it's because 5e is the issue, even though this is barely recognizable as a 5e game, and they had to make all the home brew changes because it's a video game, but Solasta proves otherwise.

veteran
veteran
Lol. Join the D&D Works in Solasta Club! 😄

Some of us here are trying so hard to make this point too. The one why Solasta really kills BG3 is that it does 5e right.

That's said, I have learned that part of the issue is that Larian is not just trying to appeal to 5e fans. You have a LOT of people out here who really hate 5e rules and want the game to be more like DOS or even other video games totally unrelated.

But, this game is Forgotten Realms. It was marketed as a 5e game. So, in my opinion, the non-5e people should take more of a back seat. I know that sounds harsh, but making a D&D world game NOT true to D&D is like throwing elements of Star Trek into Star Wars and saying it's okay, they're both Sci Fi. Faerun has ALWAYS been about D&D. So the game should be more true to D&D. It should not be a quasi-D&D kinda like DOS game.

veteran
veteran
Solasta does play a lot better. It's more tactical and it feels a lot better without the cheesy exploits.

At this point we can just hope Larian will acknowledge and respect that many people feel like this and will offer a mode that's as close to RAW as possible, instead of just shoving their way of "fun" down everyone's throat. Personally, the combat in BG3 is in a state that just ruins the game for me. I need an actual tactical challenge without all the silly high ground backstab pig head stuff. And for replayability's sake the focus needs to shift from the environmental gimmicks and modifiers to class abilities.

While it might be easy to change something like Disengage from bonus action to action through difficulty settings, the resting system is something that can't be changed by a simple difficulty setting. Unlimited free resting is a big problem in a system that has been designed around a finite amount of resting. So I really hope they consider how to give players a chance for an authentic D&D experience and build the game with that in mind from the ground up.

old hand
old hand
Preaching to the choir, of course, but yeah I agree! Most probably do. =)
Still, I am completely OK with Larian homebrewing some if they do it properly, but so far it's just unbalancing the game and making too many things silly. Solasta's implementation is insanely spot on, though, yeah. =)

I just hope the end result of BG3 will be freaking awesome. I am sure they wish to homebrew a lot, but... I just hope it will ultimately be fun and balanced and not too silly in the end.

addict
addict
I am sure that nothing "kills" BG3 because the difference between number of players of BG3 and Solasta is global. And I believe that the developers make the game on different engines, which can create certain problems when implementing any mechanics. Not to mention just different views.

Also, Larian seems to be trying to reach a larger layer of players, people here continue to talk as if every gamer has played DnD and understands the mechanics of the board game, but this is a mistake. That's why many people complain about dice, because they do not like "random", they do not understand why this is like that, they are not familiar with DnD they came to play RPG game thats all. Also, these "thousands" of topics are often created by the same people.

I believe that some of mechanics from DnD can be fun and interesting, and will have a good effect on gameplay BG3, but I also believe that if this does not happen, then it's okay, because for me it's just a video game, not a board game. I don't think Solasta or Pathfinder will ever attract as many people as BG3 or even DOS2 which was also very popular. I think Larian has a reason to act the way they do.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him

Some of us here are trying so hard to make this point too. The one why Solasta really kills BG3 is that it does 5e right.

That's said, I have learned that part of the issue is that Larian is not just trying to appeal to 5e fans. You have a LOT of people out here who really hate 5e rules and want the game to be more like DOS or even other video games totally unrelated.

But, this game is Forgotten Realms. It was marketed as a 5e game. So, in my opinion, the non-5e people should take more of a back seat. I know that sounds harsh, but making a D&D world game NOT true to D&D is like throwing elements of Star Trek into Star Wars and saying it's okay, they're both Sci Fi. Faerun has ALWAYS been about D&D. So the game should be more true to D&D. It should not be a quasi-D&D kinda like DOS game.
So probably the worst thing that could have happened to BG3 is a AAA budget, ironically. High production values, lame shallow gameplay. It happened to Dragon Age, maybe it's simply inevitable.

The only chance is that they somehow manage to create both a "D&D RAW mode" AND a "casual videogamer mode" where people can blow up barrels and never miss or fail skill checks. And that these two modes don't compromise eachother.

veteran
veteran
Unfortunately if they don't want to isolate one market, they do need to do this. They need a hard core D&D mode. They can even make standard mode casual video game, I hate D&D mode as long as there is a Hard Core D&D mode.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

I don't get this though. D&D 5e is far more popular and profitable than this game will ever be. Wizards of the Coats made $814 million in revenue in 2020, while Larian made $12 million in revenue in the same year. Divinity OS II made just over 1 million sales, while 5e D&D has over 14 million current players, even by the lowest estimates. You'd think being closer to the core mechanics of 5e D&D would be a selling feature, not a detriment. 5e D&D is far more popular than this game could ever hope to be.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
At this rate I'm going to have to give Solasta its own subforum. :|

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Ah, but is it popular enough with video gamers? That's where we may be running into the issue. Not everyone who loves d&d loves video games.

Just look at the threads. You'll see. Lots of people out here hate the RNG and are trying to get Larian to no the opposite route, to move away from 5e.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
At this rate I'm going to have to give Solasta its own subforum. :|

Lol. I'm sorry Vometia. I can only imagine how much that sucks. IMO, BG3 is way better than Solasta. I've maybe only played 30 hours of that game while over 300 of BG3. I am way too addicted to BG1.

Its just the only game right now to compare to, and again, the rules are much more true to 5e.

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be sometimes to deal with all of us. You have a lot of patience.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ReaLMoisan

I don't get this though. D&D 5e is far more popular and profitable than this game will ever be. Wizards of the Coats made $814 million in revenue in 2020, while Larian made $12 million in revenue in the same year. Divinity OS II made just over 1 million sales, while 5e D&D has over 14 million current players, even by the lowest estimates. You'd think being closer to the core mechanics of 5e D&D would be a selling feature, not a detriment. 5e D&D is far more popular than this game could ever hope to be.

Are you seriously comparing the profits from a video game and a board game right now? Or is it a joke? Do you realize that these are different things, don't you? And that they get paid for completely different products? Different audience, huh? I hope I just didn't understand your irony.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
You have a lot of patience.

lol.

Actually I know nothing at all about Solasta, it's just the number of references I've seen to it. I mean all the comparisons could well be a positive thing, I was just being snarky. I should go back to finishing off The Outer Worlds and not derailing other people's topics...

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyloth

Are you seriously comparing the profits from a video game and a board game right now? Or is it a joke? Do you realize that these are different things, don't you? And that they get paid for completely different products? Different audience, huh? I hope I just didn't understand your irony.
I also compared the sales of Larian's last popular game release Divinity OS II at just over 1 million, with the number of people currently playing 5e D&D too, which is 14 million. That's not even including people currently playing other editions of D&D. My point was, 5e D&D has a bigger player base than this game will. So I am suspicious that the decision to deviate so much from the 5e core rules will actually generate larger appeal and sales than just staying faithful to 5e and attracting that audience, along with people not familiar with 5e who enjoy a more balanced game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
You have a lot of patience.

lol.

Actually I know nothing at all about Solasta, it's just the number of references I've seen to it. I mean all the comparisons could well be a positive thing, I was just being snarky. I should go back to finishing off The Outer Worlds and not derailing other people's topics...

Lol. I view Solasta as Marvel Comics and BG3 as the Marvel Movies. Solasta is good, but seeing Hulk smash Loki on the big screen is much more fun. 😁

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Lol. I view Solasta as Marvel Comics and BG3 as the Marvel Movies. Solasta is good, but seeing Hulk smash Loki on the big screen is much more fun. 😁
True, which is why I strictly compared the two games in terms of game and combat balance. Since comparing a crowd funded game from a studio with 15 employees, to a triple A title from a studio with over 250 employees on most other aspects of what makes a video game isn't really fair.

Last edited by ReaLMoisan; 17/04/21 05:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yep. The only reason I compare the 2 is the rules being more accurately done in Solasta.

addict
addict
I also compared the sales of Larian's last popular game release Divinity OS II at just over 1 million, with the number of people currently playing 5e D&D too, which is 14 million. That's not even including people currently playing other editions of D&D. My point was, 5e D&D has a bigger player base than this game will. So I am suspicious that the decision to deviate so much from the 5e core rules will actually generate larger appeal and sales than just staying faithful to 5e and attracting that audience, along with people not familiar with 5e who enjoy a more balanced game.

The problem is that not all DnD players play video games. It's like focusing on the board game audience when you're creating a video game. Hmm

veteran
veteran
There should be room for different types of video games: some games that strictly follow the rules and some games that are adaptations. Then people can buy what they like. I love BG3 but am not interested in Solasta. Others may feel the opposite, and some like both.

Last edited by Icelyn; 17/04/21 02:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
Baldur's Gate 3 would be perfect if its combat system was more true to D&D and if there weren't so many Larianism ON TOP OF a deep and consistent system/setting.

Yes, Solasta prove that D&D mechanics are good in a video game even if Solasta lack of money and WoTC support to create a very popular experience.

But honnestly who really think that Larian changed the system because "it's a video game" ?

They took the horrible dice rolls during dialogs but they screwed the entire combat system because what ? Tactical combats doesn't work in video games but looking at a dice rolling is fun ?

I guess they changed things because they wanted to create a true Larian game "they would like to play" in a D&D setting... Nothing more.

Solasta is far from being perfect but Larian should hire Tactical Adventure because they know better how to use/play with/exploit D&D's mechanics.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 17/04/21 03:25 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard